Eric Bailly | Manchester United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You mean best GOALKEEPER in the league this season.

If it had have been Romero between the sticks all season we would have finished 10th.
Romero played 4 games and kept clean sheets in 3 of them. Our defence wasn't sparkling and De Gea did a lot, but the possession based system with two defensive midfielders stopped us conceding a lot. We wouldn't have instantly slid down the table without De Gea.

Sp00ks11

Romero played 4 games and kept clean sheets in 3 of them. Our defence wasn't sparkling and De Gea did a lot, but the possession based system with two defensive midfielders stopped us conceding a lot. We wouldn't have instantly slid down the table without De Gea.
While I understand your point to a degree, the fact De Gea won player of the year for a 3rd season in a row shows he is relied on FAR too much, having lots of possession didn't do much to protect him. I can think of atleast 10 occasions in the last season where we would have been beaten had it not been for him. He was so regularly exposed in 1on1 situations aswell. Not something a top defence will let happen too often.

But back on topic, I am excited for this new signing. From what I have read and the very little I have seen, Eric Bailley looks fairly tall, rapid, strong and good with the ball at his feet. He is still young though, new to the league and country and looks fairly raw, so patience will be needed. Blind performed alot better than expected and I hope he stays as he is a very useful player, and someone I actually regard as our best passer, and yes I include Carrick in that.

Highlyevolved

Going back to the Bailly discussion. I've only seen a few YouTube videos of him and can't remember seeing him standout in any la Liga games I've watched. However on there I noticed he has the ability to run forward, looking like a pretty decent dribbler.

I understand his main position is in the centre but I think Mourinho could possibly use him as a RB, with rumours Darmian is to be moved on. This still leaves a spot in the centre for a new signing.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Going back to the Bailly discussion. I've only seen a few YouTube videos of him and can't remember seeing him standout in any la Liga games I've watched. However on there I noticed he has the ability to run forward, looking like a pretty decent dribbler.

I understand his main position is in the centre but I think Mourinho could possibly use him as a RB, with rumours Darmian is to be moved on. This still leaves a spot in the centre for a new signing.
Hasn't he mainly played at RB?

El-Manos

Mourinho referred to him as a centre back a while ago in his interview.

ottosec

Mourinho says "central defender" in his interview when we signed him...

I think he was signed for his physical qualities, Mourinho probably has a blueprint in mind that requires players with his qualities.

We could have easily signed Stones for 10 or 15 more millions, but judging by the fact that we signed him quickly and our previous target was Manolas, it looks like we wanted someone who was mainly fast and strong.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The new Ivanovic?

I'm not sure where he will play - infact given his age and the fact that most people who have seen him say he is very raw but with big potential then perhaps like TFM he will get a few games next season probably in a couple of different positions depending on injuries etc?

But Whatever Jose decides I'm happy to see how it plays out as he tends to get defenders playing pretty well

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The new Ivanovic?

I'm not sure where he will play - infact given his age and the fact that most people who have seen him say he is very raw but with big potential then perhaps like TFM he will get a few games next season probably in a couple of different positions depending on injuries etc?

But Whatever Jose decides I'm happy to see how it plays out as he tends to get defenders playing pretty well
Doubt it. When you spend 30m on someone you probably have an idea of where you want him to play. I expect him to slot in at CB.

Highlyevolved

The new Ivanovic?

The new Ivanovic was exactly what I had in mind.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ah right, I've been horribly misinformed then, assuming that is accurate
Like I said earlier, I have watched Villarreal several times but don't remember Bailly very much, now I remember their RB Mario, who is pretty good.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Manchester United's Eric Bailly makes Ivory Coast proud - Kolo Toure

Manchester United's Eric Bailly is a "calm guy" who has made the Ivory Coast proud, according to his former international colleague Kolo Toure.

At international level, Bailly is helping to make up for the departure of Toure -- who retired from Ivory Coast duty in February 2015 after winning 118 caps, which made him the nation's second most-capped player after Didier Zokora on 123.

Bailly, 22, made his debut for Ivory Coast in January 2015 and then played alongside Toure in the triumphant Africa Cup of Nations campaign the following month.

The new Manchester United centre-back became Jose Mourinho's first signingat Old Trafford when he joined from Villarreal on June 8, subject to obtaining a work permit.

"He's a calm guy who works a lot, and today, this work has been noticed by one of the biggest clubs in Europe," Toure told Sport Ivoire.

Bailly is set to join a long list of Ivorians who have featured in the Premier League since Ibrahima Bakayoko became the first, making his debut for Everton in a Merseyside derby in October 1998 that ended in a 0-0 draw.

While United's local rivals Manchester City have Wilfried Bony and Yaya Toure on their books -- at least until new manager Pep Guardiola starts rebuilding -- Bailly is the only Ivorian at United.

"We're proud of Eric," Toure said. "We're all very happy for his move to Manchester United. It's the whole country who's honoured."

Jaybomb

Can I just say his name is pronounced "BYE-E" and not "BALE-E" like most people suggest.

That is all. :D

parisite

Can I just say his name is pronounced "BYE-E" and not "BALE-E" like most people suggest.

Well not exactly, you need to add a hint of 2 LLs being in there somewhere without being there if you see what I mean. Comes from the French word Bail which means a lease (not in the dog sense). The L is pronounced without being pronounced. No doubt those really interested in the pronunciation could find a radio or TV commentary on the internet, probably by looking up Sandrine Bailly, a French biathlon champion of yore.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Manchester United's Eric Bailly makes Ivory Coast proud - Kolo Toure

Manchester United's Eric Bailly is a "calm guy" who has made the Ivory Coast proud, according to his former international colleague Kolo Toure.

At international level, Bailly is helping to make up for the departure of Toure -- who retired from Ivory Coast duty in February 2015 after winning 118 caps, which made him the nation's second most-capped player after Didier Zokora on 123.

Bailly, 22, made his debut for Ivory Coast in January 2015 and then played alongside Toure in the triumphant Africa Cup of Nations campaign the following month.

The new Manchester United centre-back became Jose Mourinho's first signingat Old Trafford when he joined from Villarreal on June 8, subject to obtaining a work permit.

"He's a calm guy who works a lot, and today, this work has been noticed by one of the biggest clubs in Europe," Toure told Sport Ivoire.

Bailly is set to join a long list of Ivorians who have featured in the Premier League since Ibrahima Bakayoko became the first, making his debut for Everton in a Merseyside derby in October 1998 that ended in a 0-0 draw.

While United's local rivals Manchester City have Wilfried Bony and Yaya Toure on their books -- at least until new manager Pep Guardiola starts rebuilding -- Bailly is the only Ivorian at United.

"We're proud of Eric," Toure said. "We're all very happy for his move to Manchester United. It's the whole country who's honoured."
Holeeeh shit, that guy really exists? I remember him being unplayable on one of the earlier Football Managers (back when it was called CM I think.)

BarstoolProphet

Holeeeh shit, that guy really exists? I remember him being unplayable on one of the earlier Football Managers (back when it was called CM I think.)
Yes, CM 97/98. Had 20-rating on almost all of the attributes. Was pretty stoked when he came to the Premier League. Safe to say, he was underwhelming :lol:

Bruno8

Bailly will be away for approximately 6 weeks with Ivory Coast between January and February 2017 due to Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) commitments. So Blind/Jones/McNair/ Tuanzebe/ Ro-Shaun will have to step in during that time assuming Eric will be first choice together with Smalling, who will himself miss the 1st game of the season due to his Red Card in the FA Cup Final.

I wonder who will play at CB on that 1 st game against Bournemouth. Possibly Jones and Blind/Eric

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Bailly will be away for approximately 6 weeks with Ivory Coast between January and February 2017 due to Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) commitments. So Blind/Jones/McNair/ Tuanzebe/ Ro-Shaun will have to step in during that time assuming Eric will be first choice together with Smalling, who will himself miss the 1st game of the season due to his Red Card in the FA Cup Final.

I wonder who will play at CB on that 1 st game against Bournemouth. Possibly Jones and Blind/Eric
You can count on Jones being out so probably Blind. Hopefully some youngster. 6 weeks every second January doesn't sound too bad but that still sucks.

Jaybomb

Well not exactly, you need to add a hint of 2 LLs being in there somewhere without being there if you see what I mean. Comes from the French word Bail which means a lease (not in the dog sense). The L is pronounced without being pronounced. No doubt those really interested in the pronunciation could find a radio or TV commentary on the internet, probably by looking up Sandrine Bailly, a French biathlon champion of yore.
Eh, close enough. Still closer than "BALE-E".

Its like "Desailly"... I pronounced that "DES-SIGH-E" but I know plenty of people who called him "DE-SAIL-E"

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Probably a good thing this news had died down a little and people have somewhat forgotten about him. Will be able to get his head down during pre-season, let the media focus on the other arrivals.

Sereques

Was just joking but you think he did that,is that common thing in IC? I mean in Serbia they just get married (at least common folk).
Well it's not exactly a common thing for wives to walk out on husband in africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.