Eric Ramsay joins the first team coaching set up

stevoc

I'd need to look into it more but I wonder how many of those were early in the season when we had a few shockers and hadn't established Varane and Martinez yet.

It's easy not to concede anything when you have 11 men behind the ball at all times.
I wouldn't be surprised if half of them were in the Bournemouth, Brentford and City games at the start of the season.

West Ham are woeful defensively and looked shaky form set pieces the other night.

Idxomer

Our set piece xG conceded is still pretty bad (17th in the table), so we should still be shitting ourselves every time we concede corners.
Not surprising since our keeper stops the least number of crosses in the league.

Teja

How does that work? We don’t really concede from
What's our actual set piece goals conceded?
Yeah it's a hard one to dice properly.

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/10/premier-league-stats-2022-23/ is the opta data. Look for "EXPECTED GOALS AGAINST" and you can dice in whatever way you'd like here.

We do concede from set pieces (7G from 9.56 xG) - not quite relegation form, but borderline relegation.

Absent other context it's hard to say what's going on. Maybe we concede a lot of corners and free kicks but do a fair job at defending them. Casemiro's yellow card situation is a symptom of that. We still allow a lot of transitional attacks - don't quite choke the game like Liverpool / City. Case even hinted at something along those lines (game in England is harder because there are a lot more transitions than the game in Spain).

Maybe we let teams get low probability shots off given the volume of shots (19th in table - 110 shots at goal).

Hard to say.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/10/premier-league-stats-2022-23/ is the opta data. Look for "EXPECTED GOALS AGAINST" and you can dice in whatever way you'd like here.

We do concede from set pieces (7G from 9.56 xG) - not quite relegation form, but borderline relegation.

Absent other context it's hard to say what's going on. Maybe we concede a lot of corners and free kicks but do a fair job at defending them. Casemiro's yellow card situation is a symptom of that. We still allow a lot of transitional attacks - don't quite choke the game like Liverpool / City. Case even hinted at something along those lines (game in England is harder because there are a lot more transitions than the game in Spain).

Maybe we let teams get low probability shots off given the volume of shots (19th in table - 110 shots at goal).

Hard to say.
Interesting post thanks

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How does that work? We don’t really concede from set pieces much?
What's our actual set piece goals conceded?
We're 9th in most goals conceded from set pieces. We've conceded 7, 3 more than City and Arsenal.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2022-2023

For context relegation threatened West Ham are bottom of the table having only conceded one goal from a set piece

Hard to say.
Saw a stat recently that no other club has conceded more shots at goals from inside our six yard box. That implies something is going badly wrong in our defence of set-pieces.

Maybe our keeper being so bad at claiming crosses? Maybe having the shortest centre half in the league ? Or maybe this Ramsey guy should have done a better job at organising our set-piece defence?

Fanta Stick

Saw a stat recently that no other club has conceded more shots at goals from inside our six yard box. That implies something is going badly wrong in our defence of set-pieces.

Maybe our keeper being so bad at claiming crosses? Maybe having the shortest centre half in the league ? Or maybe this Ramsey guy should have done a better job at organising our set-piece defence?
That's the problem with having Dave The Matrix in goal.

Defenders are over confident in their keeper's reflexes.

Kag

Look no further than this fanny.

We start every single set piece at a disadvantage and rely upon Varane and Casemiro to dig us out.

Our actual organisation from set pieces looks good. But without a goalkeeper to catch the ball every now and then you’re asking a lot.

SAFMUTD

We are the team with less goals from set pieces in the league. How did he managed to graduate for shit?

We should hire the Brentford guy, they score the most. It's ridiculous how many seasons we've been so toothless from set pieces.

Abraxas

I think as a set piece coach you rely on the individuals to a large extent. Teams that score lots from them invariably have a handful of players who enjoy attacking the ball. That's a non negotiable, without that you can have any organisation but if you haven't got the final action to attack the ball it's not going to work well. We have people going through the motions. I think Maguire and Casemiro are the only two that fancy them. It's why you always see the same old people being a threat from set pieces for clubs, they're good at it and it's hard to make people that aren't naturals become natural.

Blood Mage

I don't like seeing Championship clubs trying to poach our coaches all the time. Still think it's a shame that McKenna was allowed to leave.

Blood Mage

Fellow profesionals: yeah this guy is good

Caf armchair coaches: fecking shite
Same thing happened with Kieran McKenna who is now doing an excellent job at Ipswich. Coach has an English name? He must be shite.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I don't like seeing Championship clubs trying to poach our coaches all the time. Still think it's a shame that McKenna was allowed to leave.
I think it's a great thing meaning our decisions regarding coaching staff have been good. Rather that than Steve Round, Chris Woods, Jimmy Lumsden and Phil Neville. Of course it's not nice to lose them but it's only proof that we're doing well in that regard.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think it's a great thing meaning our decisions regarding coaching staff have been good. Rather that than Steve Round, Chris Woods, Jimmy Lumsden and Phil Neville. Of course it's not nice to lose them but it's only proof that we're doing well in that regard.
De Gea did well under Chris Woods tbf, kicking aside (worst period of his career from that point of view probably).

JB7

De Gea did well under Chris Woods tbf, kicking aside (worst period of his career from that point of view probably).
And Steve Round is first team coach at Arsenal. How are they getting on I wonder?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
And Steve Round is first team coach at Arsenal. How are they getting on I wonder?
Yet he hasn’t been snatched up by any club to be their manager. Anyway I’d rather have young, talented & ambitious coaches at United, compared to what Moyes brought over with him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You called McKenna, Carrick as clowns and all sort of names when he was here, relentlessly negative about them all the time. You should be glad that he was allowed to leave.

Lux Thunder

I think as a set piece coach you rely on the individuals to a large extent. Teams that score lots from them invariably have a handful of players who enjoy attacking the ball. That's a non negotiable, without that you can have any organisation but if you haven't got the final action to attack the ball it's not going to work well. We have people going through the motions. I think Maguire and Casemiro are the only two that fancy them. It's why you always see the same old people being a threat from set pieces for clubs, they're good at it and it's hard to make people that aren't naturals become natural.
I 100% agree, this is so true, I couldn't describe it better myself.

From my personal experience, had a team where we were technically better than any other in the league but were terrible at set pieces (mostly corners) as we lacked the kind of players you described and that cost us winning a league. We were toothless in attack that we came up with short corners routines that helped us create more chances from there, similar to how United plays to set up mostly Rashford or Antony to have a free shot in or around the box.

But in defending set pieces we were chaotic, we played a mixed strategy of zonal defending + man marking with clear plans and tasks between players, but we still conceded most of our goals/chances from set pieces. It wasn't helpful at all that we had a goalkeeper who had no bravery, unable to claim even the easiest crosses in the box and that put a lot of pressure on our defense making opponents' jobs look too easy.

Matty7

2 years in the job... Yet we concede pretty much every game from a set piece. We also concede more from our own corners by counter attacks than we actually score ourselves. Another Set piece against us today and once again our corners cannot beat the first man. How is he still in a job?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
2 years in the job... Yet we concede pretty much every game from a set piece. We also concede more from our own corners by counter attacks than we actually score ourselves. Another Set piece against us today and once again our corners cannot beat the first man. How is he still in a job?
Hes not the set piece coach anymore

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Reading through this thread and apparently he has 'graduated' from being a set piece coach to now having a very key role in day-to-day training. How on earth did he graduate? Our set pieces have been tragic for many years. Starting to think he isn't a particularly good coach.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Reading through this thread and apparently he has 'graduated' from being a set piece coach to now having a very key role in day-to-day training. How on earth did he graduate? Our set pieces have been tragic for many years. Starting to think he isn't a particularly good coach.
I think there is a lot we don't know about what coaches do, and I wouldn't be surprised if his coaching accumen is outside of set pieces alone. He's rated at multiple big clubs, so there must be something beyond set pieces with him. I'd hope :lol:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why’s he getting so much praise from the squad? Isn’t he a set piece coach? We rarely score them and always look like conceding on them. I’ve not seen anything different aswell to say we’re working on corners.