Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We're both using our own discernment here. Steele and De Gea have always been very close and it would come as no surprise if De Gea shared/talked about his frustrations. Steeles comments for me are subtle, maybe even veiled but they allude to what was probably the real reason De Gea wanted out.

LVG was very blunt about his expectations when he joined and some players didn't like it. If you remember a few others left soon after, even fellow countryman Buttner who admitted that LVG didn't rate him. Welbeck was ushered out too without a seconds thought
What I remember is De Gea being excellent from day one and playing the way you would expect a goalkeeper coached by Hoek would. So between that, the links with a return to Spain and his personal life, I would think that Steele is speculating in order to create the idea that everything was fine at United in 2019 more than anything else, which he barely hides in his quotes. I could actually understand your point if De Gea didn't immediately adapt and improve with Hoek but he did.

As for Buttner and Welbeck they have nothing to do with De Gea, I'm not really sure about the point that you are trying to make. No one rated Buttner and righfully so, while Welbeck didn't really deserve a second thought.

Corridor of Uncertainty

I love this quote from him

“Beautiful football is very important. Winning is the number 1 priority, but it has to happen with beautiful football. Attacking football, with lots of goals. It’s more than being dominant only. It’s grabbing the opponent by their throat, without letting go.”

Loon

:lol:
It’s gone quiet now. Does this mean it’s a done deal or that he has turned it down because he did not get his demands?

waiting for inevitable “yes” reply.

Acquire Me

It’s gone quiet now. Does this mean it’s a done deal or that he has turned it down because he did not get his demands?

waiting for inevitable “yes” reply.
No, this is done. Except some news after match and the coming week.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He had no say in Reiziger's appointment. That was all Ajax. Hag had three assistants at Ajax with the other two being Winston Borgard (another club alumni appointment )and Mitchel Van Der Gaag who worked with Hag at Go ahead Eagles if I remember correctly and who's appointment he had a direct say in. It's no wonder he seems to want to repeat the trick by working with a former united coach/player but we're no Ajax

Edit: Van Der Gaag coached at youth level at Utrecht in the late 2000s, not at the same time Ten Hag was there. Ten Hag did promote him to the third assistant coach position at Ajax in 2019
I assume Bogard is in-charge of player's contracts?

Loon

:lol:
I’d like to watch the Ajax match this evening, but BT don’t have the UK rights. Is this Mola TV a free service?

phelans shorts

Thing is I don't think Hag is even familiar with his work other than the fact he last coached at united over a decade ago and is Dutch. Why doesn't Ten Hag have at least his own trusted assistant and why is no one questioning this? All his previous clubs have provided him assistants. We can just hope he'll mesh well with whoever he goes with but names with united links are just being picked out of hats it seems. Waiting for the Raimond Van Der Gouw links
This is very common practice particularly in Europe, and becoming more and more so. It’s much cheaper for clubs to sack and replace a manager if it goes tits up than an entire coaching team. Same concept as if a manager gets every player they want and it doesn’t really mesh with what the club want.

JPRouve

Scout
This is very common practice particularly in Europe, and becoming more and more so. It’s much cheaper for clubs to sack and replace a manager if it goes tits up than an entire coaching team. Same concept as if a manager gets every player they want and it doesn’t really mesh with what the club want.
Yeah, only proven top managers get an entire staff and that's only at wealthy clubs. Otherwise head coaches are generally allowed to bring 1 or 2 assistants and the rest will be people that are employed by the club.

L1nk

according to the Ajax guy on twitter this journo is Tier 1, knows ETH well

Telsim

The reputation of this club is in the gutter. I'm not surprised he is being exceptionally careful and demanding. A lot of the current players need moving. But I'm hoping he isn't demanding we sign Antony. That fee is just too much.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He needs authority. Not the board telling him hes having a laugh when he wants x player sold.

gajender

He needs authority. Not the board telling him hes having a laugh when he wants x player sold.
It would have to be within reason and anything more he would need to earn the right by showing improvements on the field and being immensely successful .

JPRouve

Scout
So the club shouldn't have a structure and should just follow whatever the head coach says?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The best option would be to bring Rene back… knows the club and has been praised for being a really good Coach. It would be good if he could bring his current assistant with him but maybe he’s going to stay on at Ajax as the permanent boss…

lenny_1248

So the club shouldn't have a structure and should just follow whatever the head coach says?
In terms of players getting sold - absolutely.
He should be able to get rid of any current player he deems not good enough for him/his style.

Buying players is another thing.

JPRouve

Scout
In terms of players getting sold - absolutely.
He should be able to get rid of any player he deems not good enough for him/his style.
Is he the one paying the bill if his suggestions are bad?

gajender

When the same thing actually put United in this situation, some amongst the United fanbase are so desperate that they are reaching for the wrong solutions .
But I actually don't believe in these so called demands it's press just trying to create tension and drama before the formal announcement .

Tavern in the town

The manager having all the power is exactly the structure we should be trying to move away from, that’s just not how successful modern clubs are run. The days of Fergie and Wenger making every single decision are done.

JPRouve

Scout
When the same thing actually put United in this situation, some amongst the United fanbase are so desperate that they are reaching for the wrong solutions .
But I actually don't believe in these so called demands it's press just trying to create tension and drama before the formal announcement .
I don't believe it either since no club will give a manager complete authority, Ajax aren't doing it and no larger club will.

lenny_1248

Is he the one paying the bill if his suggestions are bad?
What are you talking about? What does "bills" have to do with it?

If you hire him, it means you trust him and his ideas. And you get rid of any player he doesn't want.
Pep did not want Hart, and he was sold immediately. ETH should be able to do same things. What's the point of having players who will not play anyway?

I repeat myself, buying players is another thing.

gajender

If you hire him, it means you trust him and his ideas. And you get rid of any player he doesn't want.
Pep did not want Hart, and he was sold immediately. ETH should be able to do same things. What's the point of having players who will not play anyway?

Pep Didn't like Aguero either but he wasn't sold and We are talking about one of the greatest Coach ever . Otamendi who is hardly Pep kind of defender won the league under him before being moved on . I am not saying United won't move players if Ten Hag recommends but it would have to be within reason it can't be carte blanche like you and some others are suggesting .

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

Interesting thread on ten Haggs time at Utrecht. Impressive work there too.

JPRouve

Scout

Purchasing and selling players has a cost and consequences, one of them being financial. Any club that is well run will consider the financial consequences of a decision that involves assets worth millions while a head coach don't really care since he isn't responsible for that and doesn't have access to the club bank accounts.

When you hire a head coach, you hire him to coach your current playing staff and maximize that current playing staff. Head coaches rarely if ever have the mandate to sell/purchase whoever they want without justifying it to their superiors. Head coaches don't even purchase/sell players that's the job of the DOF.

Regarding Pep, he didn't and still doesn't have complete authority. Think about it this way, do you think that Hart was the only player that he didn't want or that he thought wasn't a good fit? He didn't want Aguero, he had to do with Aguero, he wanted Sanchez or Maguire the club brought neither. Because Txiki and Soriano had other ideas.

Also Hart was a bad player, it's fairly easy to justify his sale, you don't need to work all that much.

gajender

A ‘huge list of demands’ relating to sporting matters - depends whether we’re willing to meet them
It's press just trying to create drama till the formal announcement is made we have seen the same stuff several times with player transfers to United just sit back and relax .