Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This take surprises me. The current Ajax team is made of players that are mainly inferior to United's from a technical and athletic standpoint. The way people are talking about them you would think that people haven't seen them outside of Ajax, most of them weren't particularly good.

Also people should keep in mind that LVG made a worse set of player play technical possession Football from day one.
The focal point of their attack for the last 4 years has been Tadic, a player bought from Southampton who while quite decent was no star in Premier League, and another crucial player for them is Haller who was a £40m failure in England. We bought one of their best players and he turned out quite poorly in our system and league too.

He should be fine with the quality and resources at his disposal at United.

bosskeano

i think first team players like Sancho, Elanga will thrive under a manager like ETH and some of the younger guys like Hannibal, Garner might get more of a look with the first team bc of their on the ball ability

i know we're going to lose 6-7 first team players so promote a couple of the youth, integrate them into the squad and focus the budget on the absolute must needs to fit the squad

Phillips would be a really good get from Leeds, Antony coming over from Ajax would be brilliant, Akanji would be a good ball playing cb from Dortmund....these are all attainable guys who wouldn't break the bank

the biggest task for ETH is trying to solve the puzzle that has become Rashford

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Brief video with what looks like a cartoon drunk Ten Hag explains his tactics with the current squad.
This is all fun and games, but its also bullshit.

At Ajax he has played in mulitple different formations during his time at Ajax.. It differs depending on the players he has that year.. He is not bound to a single formation, but he just looks how to use his key players in their strengts and is always looking for how players are collaborating in the pitch, he is looking for dynamics between players..

The common denominator is high pressing, lots of movement/overlap and creativity on the ball.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Any good compilation videos of Ajax blitzing teams over the last few seasons?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Someone sent the Feyenoord 3-2 victory but Ajax actually looked a bit shite in that game.

Tune into the Cup final vs PSV at 5pm on Sunday

NewYorkRed

Yeah that raised my eyebrow. It’s no secret that Ten Hag likes his to team to build from the back and expects his keeper to be an available outlet. De Gea simply doesn’t have the attributes to operate that way. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Henderson becomes our keeper for the near future.
I’ll guarantee you guys one thing: we get ETH and he will 100% stick with DDG and the caf’s “no modern manager will keep him” will be disproven once and for all.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Have a look at their game at home to Dortmund in the group stages. Outside of the first 10 minutes, Ajax's football was outstanding. Proper attacking football against another big club unlike the football Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's United played the minute they played a team that was any good.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ll guarantee you guys one thing: we get ETH and he will 100% stick with DDG and the caf’s “no modern manager will keep him” will be disproven once and for all.
I think he will keep him but more due to it being a lower priority than other positions. We're not like City in that we can just spend whatever until we get the keeper we want.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Have a look at their game at home to Dortmund in the group stages. Outside of the first 10 minutes, Ajax's football was outstanding. Proper attacking football against another big club unlike the football Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's United played the minute they played a team that was any good.
Sounds good thanks.

L1nk

Fair play, probably because of his kids being settled and starting school and such

NewYorkRed

I think he will keep him but more due to it being a lower priority than other positions. We're not like City in that we can just spend whatever until we get the keeper we want.
That could partially be true but if he felt its essential to the team then he would do it, wouldn’t he? Everyone and their son has tried to convince everyone here how big a problem DDG is. Can’t wait till their dream manager sticks with him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That could partially be true but if he felt its essential to the team then he would do it, wouldn’t he? Everyone and their son has tried to convince everyone here how big a problem DDG is. Can’t wait till their dream manager sticks with him.
He's rubbish with his feet though. You can't deny that.

TsuWave

Fair play, probably because of his kids being settled and starting school and such
damnit. I’m a big fan of Van Persie. Would have loved to see him working with Garnacho and such

NewYorkRed

He’s not great with his feet, I agree yeah. But he can be decent with them at times.
I’ve never disagreed that he could 100% be better on the ball. But comments like “he has one good attribute and its not good enough” when that attribute is shot stopping are absurd. I remember one guy said a modern manager would replace him with an average goalie who is better with his feet and we’d be a vastly improved team.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He’s not great with his feet, I agree yeah. But he can be decent with them at times.
I’ve never disagreed that he could 100% be better on the ball. But comments like “he has one good attribute and its not good enough” when that attribute is shot stopping are absurd. I remember one guy said a modern manager would replace him with an average goalie who is better with his feet and we’d be a vastly improved team.
I think as with most things the answer lies in the middle ground. We could definitely improve on him but we would need a keeper who is adept at shot stopping and also passing it out, and that'll be hard to find easily.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't understand this, you are right but he was good when Hoek was coaching him. De Gea makes no sense.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't understand this, you are right but he was good when Hoek was coaching him. De Gea makes no sense.
No idea. Maybe he improved but I think you're either a great passer or you're not. I've rarely seen a player improve their passing at his age.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No idea. Maybe he improved but I think you're either a great passer or you're not. I've rarely seen a player improve their passing at his age.
It seems like a mental block with him. He gives so many stupid passes or just mis hits random clearance dangerously, but is capable of good passes (especially kicking it out of his hands). He's never going to be a Neuer/Allison/Ederson, but the past few years he just makes some brain dead mishit passes that make it a lot worse.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It seems like a mental block with him. He gives so many stupid passes or just mis hits random clearance dangerously, but is capable of good passes (especially kicking it out of his hands). He's never going to be a Neuer/Allison/Ederson, but the past few years he just makes some brain dead mishit passes that make it a lot worse.
Whenever the ball is passed back to him and he shapes to knock it long, I wince. Usually it comes straight back at us.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Of course he will never be great but being even average would be enough and he has done it in the distant past. In fact the 2014-2016 period is also when De Gea would operate like a sweeper more often and wasn't glued to his line.

ForeverRed1

At Ajax he has played in mulitple different formations during his time at Ajax.. It differs depending on the players he has that year.. He is not bound to a single formation, but he just looks how to use his key players in their strengts and is always looking for how players are collaborating in the pitch, he is looking for dynamics between players..

The common denominator is high pressing, lots of movement/overlap and creativity on the ball.
as a Ajax fan what’s your opinion of him coming here? You think he’ll do good?

Artimities

I'm excited about the prospect of Ten Hag taking over as manager. I can see him greatly improving our team. For a while now
Yeah that raised my eyebrow. It’s no secret that Ten Hag likes his to team to build from the back and expects his keeper to be an available outlet. De Gea simply doesn’t have the attributes to operate that way. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Henderson becomes our keeper for the near future.
I think the upcoming year ... DeGea is a shoe in. United has so much work to do with the rest of the squad. I wouldnt worry about the goalie for another year.
Sorry, I believe I quoted the wrong post by accident!

Irwin99

I do think some people have unrealistic expectations with regards to the players. DDG and Maguire are certain first team players for the first season at least. I'm not a huge fan of Dalot but i'm interested to see if Erik likes the look of him.

I'd be be very surprised if we bought more than 4 players in his first transfer window despite the exodus that will happen with the players that are leaving. I imagine youth players will get a big chance to shine.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Got a question for you as an Ajax fan.

Frank de Boer won you 4 straight league titles but then flopped at Palace and his reputation has never really recovered.

What's the difference in how he was perceived then compared to how ten Hag is perceived now? Was FdB seen as a class up and coming manager? He's younger than EtH.

Roario

Twitter:
Ten Hag wants to put together a new team at Old Trafford, and the likes of Steve McClaren, René Meulensteen, & Peter Bosz have all been named as possible assistants. [Jan Joost van Gangelen, ESPN]
Just saw an article that Meulensteen wrote for United.no, where he said that 70-80% of the current squad needs to be replaced.
He also blames the players for the results under Rangnick.
Interesting times ahead.

Skills

Snitch
He was genuinely good with his feet when he joined us. Rewatch his first game at Anfield and he's finding cross field balls to both full backs all game.

It's just been coached out of him under successive managerial regimes - with Van Gaal being the exception

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Of course he will never be great but being even average would be enough and he has done it in the distant past. In fact the 2014-2016 period is also when De Gea would operate like a sweeper more often and wasn't glued to his line.
He was genuinely good with his feet when he joined us. Rewatch his first game at Anfield and he's finding cross field balls to both full backs all game.

It's just been coached out of him under successive managerial regimes - with Van Gaal being the exception
He was never very good with the ball at his feet but he looked a lot less bad because 7 or 8 years ago there much less expectations on keepers to be comfortable on the ball.

He was always able to hit an accurate long pass out wide and can still pull this off, given enough space and time. What he never did was to look like an extra defender when we’re passing the ball round the back. At ease on the ball, making and receiving passes on either foot, instantly aware of the best passing option and relaxed when getting closed down. That’s the expectation from top keepers now and he’s being shown up by far better ball players in goals at other clubs.

McSauce FC

Just saw an article that Meulensteen wrote for United.no, where he said that 70-80% of the current squad needs to be replaced.
He also blames the players for the results under Rangnick.
Interesting times ahead.
Steve said the same thankfully, 5-7 rotten apples.

Skills

Snitch
He was never very good with the ball at his feet but he looked a lot less bad because 7 or 8 years ago there much less expectations on keepers to be comfortable on the ball.

He was always able to hit an accurate long pass out wide and can still pull this off, given enough space and time. What he never did was look like an extra defender when we’re passing the ball round the back. At ease on the ball, making quick decisions about the best passing option and calm and relaxed when getting closed down. That’s the expectation from top keepers now and he’s being shown up by far better ball players in goals at other clubs.
Would you say VDS was terrible with the ball at his feet then by modern standards?

Because if it's just all about perception, De Gea looked like a massive upgrade to VDS with his on-ball ability when he joined.