Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Redlyn

We need to sign a cm or have mainoo step up otherwise ETH might not finish the season. That's how dire things are right now.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Reread my post. The idea was that he was trying to add more cover aka legs to our midfield, but also add a bit of creativity in there as well. So the idea was for Bruno and Mount to play deeper. In order for this formation to work they have to be in synchronicity, but Bruno can't do that so he exposes Mount and in turn Casemiro. That why having an extra midfielder in there like Erikssen should mitigate our exposure without loss of creativity.
Erikssen has failed to do that. The best thing is to just play to the players strengths or sell them.

The Hilton

We don't have a manager or players who can accommodate him properly. Also, what is ETH's style? Whatever this is and last year's couldn't be any different.

:rolleyes:

You managed to contradict yourself twice there, which is actually impressive, but you did make one cogent point - we don't have the players to accommodate EtH's preferred style properly. It's not entirely true, as the players we have are capable of it, but they too often revert to what they know, essentially muscle memory, which for the players he inherited is the low block football we played before he arrived, along with a lot of standing around when they should be pressing.

It happened to us multiple times last season - at the start of the season, against City away after the international break we went to pieces, at Anfield in the second half, etc. And now again in the second half today. It'll take some time before his system is muscle memory, rather than the "moments fc" system as you put it.

The Mitcher

You managed to contradict yourself twice there, which is actually impressive, but you did make one cogent point - we don't have the players to accommodate EtH's preferred style properly. It's not entirely true, as the players we have are capable of it, but they too often revert to what they know, essentially muscle memory, which for the players he inherited is the low block football we played before he arrived, along with a lot of standing around when they should be pressing.

It happened to us multiple times last season - at the start of the season, against City away after the international break we went to pieces, at Anfield in the second half, etc. And now again in the second half today. It'll take some time before his system is muscle memory, rather than the "moments fc" system as you put it.
I did not contradict myself :lol:. We played differently last season to this season. And you can't play the ETH hasn't got the players card when the squad is now made up of players he brought in. We can't accomodate mount because he doesn't suit the team, and the manager can't get the best out of him.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We need to sign a cm or have mainoo step up otherwise ETH might not finish the season. That's how dire things are right now.
Oh good lord it’s not THAT bad. Christ.

I must have missed it then. Well he will have to shoulder the blame on that one massively
Blame?! Blame him for what? Because YOU and a select but loud portion of the forum have written him off already?! If he was Spanish/French he’d get a lot more leeway

Fahad Jawaid

The sooner Ten Hag realizes that our Midfield three lacks physicality, presence, strength and pace, and rectify it, we will not move forward and continue to look open and lose against any decent side. We could have signed Kovacic and Amrabat/Mcallister for 60M we spent on Mount and would have had a far better midfield with defensive ability plus technically superior with ability to control the midfield.

The concern with ETH is the amount of money we have spent (400M), but the team still looks incomplete and imbalanced. We still don't know how Hojlund will turn out, we literally have Rashford as our source of goals and are expecting 20 year old to carry the burden of goals in the toughest league in the world.

Whereas the less said about the waste of money Antony is, the better. Amad is a far better player than him. We could have just used Amad last season and not spent 85M on him. A winger ETH handpicked and coached who can't beat his man, does not cross, has no right foot, has no variety of shots and his only shot is trying to curl it, even that is very hit and miss. I would not give Ten Hag a single penny after his poor choice of players.

Blood Mage

If this carries on under new ownership I can see him being ousted fairly quickly and replaced by De Zerbi IMO.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers

Blame?! Blame him for what? Because YOU and a select but loud portion of the forum have written him off already?! If he was Spanish/French he’d get a lot more leeway
Mount isn’t the type of player we need at this moment in time. So yes blame for sanctioning a deal that would prevent us from strengthening other areas of the squad. Nothing to do with his nationality.

E-mal

What was he supposed to use? Please, tell us the criteria.
Get off my back with dumb posts.
How about I describe Zidane Igbal/Hannibal as that Muslim/Asian kid that played in our midfield or Gore as that white kid that played in our midfield in pre- season? Do you think that is the right way to describe people especially in 2023?
It is not being racist but disrespectful and lazy.

I have made my post and that is my opinion. This is the last I will reply to this issue and I was very respectful to the person that wrote and generally trying to help.

The Mitcher

The sooner Ten Hag realizes that our Midfield three lacks physicality, presence, strength and pace, and rectify it, we will not move forward and continue to look open and lose against any decent side. We could have signed Kovacic and Amrabat/Mcallister for 60M we spent on Mount and would have had a far better midfield with defensive ability plus technically superior with ability to control the midfield.

The concern with ETH is the amount of money we have spent (400M), but the team still looks incomplete and imbalanced. We still don't know how Hojlund will turn out, we literally have Rashford as our source of goals and are expecting 20 year old to carry the burden of goals in the toughest league in the world.

Whereas the less said about the waste of money Antony is, the better. Amad is a far better player than him. We could have just used Amad last season and not spent 85M on him. A winger ETH handpicked and coached who can't beat his man, does not cross, has no right foot, has no variety of shots and his only shot is trying to curl it, even that is very hit and miss. I would not give Ten Hag a single penny after his poor choice of players.
Mac Alistair is the same type of player as mount, an AM. We'd have the same issues, and he wanted to join Pool. He hasn't been convincing for them so far. Though I agree he has not spent wisely and has wasted most of that money.

I don't think he will change the tactics, it's his way or the highway judging from the comments he's made. He has taken no responsibility and only made comments that blame the players.

redIndianDevil

Why is that only our managers seem to need forever to implement their systems. Spurs had a defensive manager for most of the time last year and ended the season with a caretaker. Their new manager seem to make them play such lovely stuff in 2 months while losing their biggest player just a week ago.

spiriticon

Forget the money spent, or the 'style', or whatever.

The squad not being fit and ready for the new season, two years in a row, is pretty damning.

The Hilton

I did not contradict myself :lol:. We played differently last season to this season. And you can't play the ETH hasn't got the players card when the squad is now made up of players he brought in. We can't accomodate mount because he doesn't suit the team, and the manager can't get the best out of him.
You said that the manager has no style, and then also that the players can't implement his style. That's about as contradictory as you could get! :lol:

E-mal

But how should we describe Kobbie?
By his name, that's why people are given names at birth and am pretty sure you didn't need me to tell you that.
This is a kid from our academy, has been playing here since he was 6 and can't be bothered to know his name.

And for your information, I wasn't the only one who replied to that post.

The Mitcher

You said that the manager has no style, and then also that the players can't implement his style. That's about as contradictory as you could get! :lol:
No, I said ETH and the players don't complenent Mount. Stop strawmanning me. I then went on to say what actually is ETH's style, because last year and whatever the hell this is, is totally different.

The Mitcher

By his name, that's why people are given names at birth and am pretty sure you didn't need me to tell you that.
This is a kid from our academy, has been playing here since he was 6 and can't be bothered to know his name.

And for your information, I wasn't the only one who replied to that post.
But if you don't know his name, how do you?

redIndianDevil

It is that bad. You people can’t see the seriousness yet. Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea - all legit contenders for top 4 so far. Each one of those clubs have much better players and much better squads than us. They have all started extremely well. If we screw up this season we might forget top 4 for years to come.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I always felt like we got away with it last season, a lot of things went our our way. The cracks were there in performances but we'd scrape results we didn't particularly deserve while our rivals for top 4 faltered.

The squad looks further behind City than ever and the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and Chelsea all have more well rounded squads. That's ignoring the upcoming challenge from Brighton, Villa and Spurs. We're the weakest team physically the league.

Midfield is still a huge issue. Casemiro papered over the cracks for half a season which got us through but now looks finished like some of feared he quickly would be when signing him.

The Hilton

Why is that only our managers seem to need forever to implement their systems. Spurs had a defensive manager for most of the time last year and ended the season with a caretaker. Their new manager seem to make them play such lovely stuff in 2 months while losing their biggest player just a week ago.
Spurs got battered in the first half, and still ended up with a lower xG than us, so let's not get too carried away with their football.

OrcaFat

I still have faith/hope in ETH but I don't see that as being a good excuse when we've seen plenty of managers takeover a struggling team and see their style of play transition very quickly. Last season the results were generally decent but I never thought we were particularly impressive.

This slow start is a bit concerning since he's spent the best part of nearly £400m and we look a little clueless. It's early in the season but the signs were there last season which has me a bit worried. He can turn things around and I'm still backing him but I have my doubts with ETH now.

We don't look like a team that is just missing one final piece and I hope fans don't pin all their hopes on our new striker to make things tick.
All fair enough but the reality is we look like a team that is trying to play a new system and that’s because we are.

It’s a lot to ask of one player but Hojlund should make quite a difference. He can’t be expected to turn us into a goal machine but the team will function better with him in it.

Goals are the main problem. We are making chances but not scoring. That should improve a bit when our striker starts playing for us. When we start scoring a bit more, everything else will improve as well.

The squad is still a bit thin but I think it is coming along okay.

Walters_19_MuFc

We score that and we get the penalty then maybe, but we're still shocking
I felt we were the better team in the first half. We're definitely still missing something, but I don't think Spurs would have been complaining if we went in ahead at half time. The Wolves game, on the other hand, was awful from start to finish.

Going forward, I just hope ten Hag changes something because it clearly isn't working.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Said at the end of last season it was obvious we need two high quality midfielders and all we got was Mount...
This. We sign mediocre players. It's the Glazers, not Ten Hag. He had to play Weghorst ffs. There's no guarantee Hojland will be any good either. If he is then we will be a different proposition.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Fine margins. We score that and go onto win, in my opinion.
Same here, there were 3 really key passes in that sequence, first was Mount getting the ball forward, Antony's cross field ball and Shaw's ball into the box, 3 of the players getting a large % of the criticism after today's match

redshaw

Fine margins. We score that and go onto win, in my opinion.
We went 2-0 up last season but finished 2-2. Spurs rally again in the second half today and bag two goals. That and our poor away form against the top half of the table and lack of goals we're probably losing 2-1.

redIndianDevil

Spurs got battered in the first half, and still ended up with a lower xG than us, so let's not get too carried away with their football.
That’s supposed to be a battering? I wouldn’t even call what Spurs did to us in the second half a battering.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Mac Alistair is the same type of player as mount, an AM. We'd have the same issues, and he wanted to join Pool. He hasn't been convincing for them so far. Though I agree he has not spent wisely and has wasted most of that money.

I don't think he will change the tactics, it's his way or the highway judging from the comments he's made. He has taken no responsibility and only made comments that blame the players.
I mean no he isn’t. Macallister is a true 8 and often played in a pivot with Caicedo quite effectively. Mount has never been successful as part of any midfield 3 for Chelsea and at his best was basically a hybrid forward.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Some people cry way too much. Yes, it's not been a great start but, holy crap, the crying across this place makes it unbearable.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I like ETH, but this lack of talent ID and obsession with certain players is costing him massively. Mount and Antony were never the answer and they were brought in as marquee signings that now can be pointed to as part of the problem after almost a 400m outlay.

His best bet is to acknowledge the feck up and adjust, because carrying on stubbornly will just get him sacked before the season is over n