Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager | Staying

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

croadyman

Didnt some of Ajax fans here reminded us that the mastermind behind that team was Overmars and ETH transfers were mostly hot garbage. The right move was RR as DOF and ETH as manager. If he didnt want to accept such setup we can just find another manager back then. RR was trash as manager but his record as DoF is better than anyone in our current dumpster setup. All his recommendation ended up at other top teams, mainly gvardiol (who has just became the most ex CB that goes to our rival) and nkunku. He literally labelled Gvardiol as a "must buy". This man might be trash as a manager but he knows a good player with potential when he sees one.
Totally nailed it with this post

Betson

Keep , but I am getting worried , we are clearly regressing and if we continue like this we will end up mid table by the end of the season.

lex talionis

ETH is subject to criticism, but the problems run much deeper than matchday tactics. It really begins with the owners, as we all know. But beyond that, our player recruitment is horrifying.

Fellaini? Mata? Lukaku? Pogba? Sancho? Antony? WTF?

Shaw was a great buy, Martinez was fantastic last season but a bit wobbly so far this season, and we all have high hopes for Hojlund but he’s far from a proven hit, but apart from those three how many other players have we brought in where you’d say fukkin hell United brought in a top footballer for the next 5 seasons?

ETH shouldn’t be sacked on Monday, but at some point club management needs to reckon with what they’re trying to accomplish and perhaps consider squeezing in a winning football squad into their list of priorities at least somewhere close to squeezing every dollar possible from their various streams of revenue.

ManUtd1999

Do you think our transfer business got any worse under ten Hag, rather than just continue the consistent, wasteful awfulness of the last ten years?
That shouldn’t be the question. It should be: did it get better under ETH?

After failures you bring a new manager to make things better, not to say “others were awful too”.

De Zerbi would struggle with these players. We are devoid of technical ability, athleticism and press resistance.
What about Steele, Dunk, Webster, Van De Hecke, Gross, Veltman, March, Lamptey? Are they much better than our players? Players that have spent a lot of their careers in lower leagues?

He’d improve our players vastly.

ElDiabloRojo

Giggs is available, John Terry as assistant. Sure Rene would be interested too.

Seriously though, ETH is going nowhere.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
ETH is subject to criticism, but the problems run much deeper than matchday tactics. It really begins with the owners, as we all know. But beyond that, our player recruitment is horrifying.

Fellaini? Mata? Lukaku? Pogba? Sancho? Antony? WTF?

Shaw was a great buy, Martinez was fantastic last season but a bit wobbly so far this season, and we all have high hopes for Hojlund but he’s far from a proven hit, but apart from those three how many other players have we brought in where you’d say fukkin hell United brought in a top footballer for the next 5 seasons?

ETH shouldn’t be sacked on Monday, but at some point club management needs to reckon with what they’re trying to accomplish and perhaps consider squeezing in a winning football squad into their list of priorities at least somewhere close to squeezing every dollar possible from their various streams of revenue.
Think ideally he wanted an experienced striker to go along with Hojlund, but not being able to sell and then injuries prioritising other positions messed with that idea. Mismanagement of too high fees, too high wages and rubbish selling.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Strange thing in my cup of tea this morning, tastes like cat piss. Is it a sign that we are going to do a rebuild again?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It got worse. We started shopping in Holland and buying players that have no business wearing a United shirt.
We signed van de Beek two years prior to ten Hag coming in, he's not even good enough for the bench. Sancho, Maguire, ancient strikers, Wan-Bissaka, Dan James, Dalot, Fred, the list goes on and on. We sign players that aren't good enough for lots of money and have done for a decade. This is not a ten Hag thing. Signing his bad recommendations is a symptom of the underlying disease.

Mercurial

With managers like Fergie, Pep, Klopp I see them instructing players and reminding them of their job to press or take up a better positions etc. ETH is often saying after game they didn't do what he said and follow the rules and doesn't seem as active on the touchline. I'm not talking about histrionics, more instructions. Players need more help in a realtime to learn and feels like he's losing his authority over time.
Some part of the issue seem to be our players have about as high salary as they ever will see on loooong contracts, they know exactly how financially safe they are and also jaded with managers going faster than they are. Practically unsellable once they pen the dotted line. They are mostly not super professionals by conventional metrics or they are in the twilight years. Rashford morphing into Jogford most notably right after renewing is demoralizing, he should be a spear and a leader after that renew, yet here we are. Those managers you reference have backing to the hilt over uprising players and they have solid recruitment systems. We have RNG recruitment and buddy recruitment. EtH might not be the one, but he also has a poor system backing him with seemingly odd signing policy.

Ubik

That shouldn’t be the question. It should be: did it get better under ETH?

After failures you bring a new manager to make things better, not to say “others were awful too”.
The point is our structure for signing players is without question the worst in the league :lol: It shouldn't be up to the manager!

UpWithRivers

As soon as I heard transition football and that you have to change your style of play to different clubs I knew we were fkd. He's experimenting with a style he is not even known for. What Klopp and Pep did was change the whole club philosophy to what they believe football should be not the other way around. None of what he is doing makes sense.
We had 2 glaringly obvious problems last season 1) Cant score enough goals 2) Cant control the midfield. We still have he same problems

Ubik

What about Steele, Dunk, Webster, Van De Hecke, Gross, Veltman, March, Lamptey? Are they much better than our players? Players that have spent a lot of their careers in lower leagues?

He’d improve our players vastly.
How many of those were already playing well under legendary Chelsea treble winner Graham Potter, out of interest?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As soon as I heard transition football and that you have to change your style of play to different clubs I knew we were fkd. He's experimenting with a style he is not even known for. What Klopp and Pep did was change the whole club philosophy to what they believe football should be not the other way around. None of what he is doing makes sense.
We had 2 glaringly obvious problems last season 1) Cant score enough goals 2) Cant control the midfield. We still have he same problems
What style is he known for? ETH played counter attacking style before joining Ajax and also with Ajax in the CL. ETH doesn't have a philosophy, his strong suit has been to adapt to what he had which he isn't currently doing.

Woziak

Let's buy Brighton and renamed to Manchester United and we will sell the name to a Saudi club which they can use. I think if Brighton continues to win, I am going to abandon United which I have supported for more than 40 years for better football. Signing new managers and players is just too slow. I think taking over Brighton is alot faster.
No that’s not what any true united fan would say but you can pick off players and staff that are clearly better at their job than our current staff.

How many Scouts, Youth coaches could the club realistically poach from Brighton, No united fan will abandon United for Brighton but sometimes you have to say what can we learn from them, because they continue to recruit well and play great attacking football, the answer is simple.

Man United can learn an awful lot from Brighton right now from top to bottom!

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
What style is he known for? ETH played counter attacking style before joining Ajax and also with Ajax in the CL. ETH doesn't have a philosophy, his strong suit has been to adapt to what he had which he isn't currently doing.
Then again it’s our mistake in selecting him and he needs to be gone. Simple. It doesn’t have to be complicated.

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
Strange thing in my cup of tea this morning, tastes like cat piss. Is it a sign that we are going to do a rebuild again?
I can’t answer the question but I must say that I’m stunned that you know what cat piss tastes like and also associate it with a squad re-build.

There’s a story behind this that we all deserve to hear isn’t there?

Lights Out

The next 4 league games are very winnable. I like the look of Hojlund and Amrabat should makes us more solid.

Keep the faith.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
How many of those were already playing well under legendary Chelsea treble winner Graham Potter, out of interest?
Think they were playing well, but they have got even better, but they are likely very hard working and willing pupils. Are ours? We have had manager after manager and each team they have had got better for so long, then reverts back to normal.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Then again it’s our mistake in selecting him and he needs to be gone. Simple. It doesn’t have to be complicated.
Not really, at least not because a manager isn't dogmatic, most managers aren't including most of the successful ones, in fact Klopp totally changed his tactics with Liverpool, the way Liverpool evolved is totally different to what Klopp used to do in Germany. What we are seeing here is more an issue with Murtough, Ajax brought a manager that had a style totally different to the one they played but imposed their own style and that manager showed that he was perfectly able to coach it.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Ange is all the evidence you need in terms of time and implementing ideas and style.

HookedOnAPhelan

I've got a tingling suspicion that the **** of the manager's position at Utd extends to the people running the club, almost like they see the "manager" as an all seeing oracle that in their wisdom guides the football club forward. Arnold, Murtagh & co working for the needs of manager, rather than the other way around & everybody working for the club.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the reason we're seeing so many ex-ETH players arrive is because he's basically been left identify players himself. Not in the power grabbing "I want to do it my way" sense, more the "if I don't do it then who will?". He's always going to fall back on what he knows & trusts in that situation.

The club structure has been a complete failure here for the past 10 years, every "manager" that comes in the door, it's the same rinse & repeat cycle. History always repeats itself & here we go again, nobody is going to be a success here until something drastic is changed.
Probably because that pretty much was the case when they bought the club. So they think that if they just hire the right manager then everything will fall into place again, rather than creating the kind of football structure that all other top clubs have realized they need.

ETH86

Supports
Ajax
Please sack him and send back to Ajax. We desperately need him!

acid_fuji

I would love to see full fit team playing without Rashford and Bruno. Wonder how that would look like. And I’m not saying they are not brilliant players but have a feeling they can’t really play what’s been asked for. Unless this is what they are being asked for then if this carries like this Ten Hag won’t last till end of this season.

el3mel

It’s 5 games into the season and they are, in case you’ve forgotten, already out of the League Cup.
The league cup isn't really that important for them this season. Their main target is to rebuild the team, restore their identity and finish top 4 if possible. They are well on track in all of these.

Yorke to Cole

The reason the recruitment has been so bad under Ten Hag is 2 fold. It is the system that existed before him and currently what is in place because they have next to nothing this summer.

The first summer he was brought in to produce a messiah job. Murtough, Arnold and Fletcher hung onto his every word and thus spent over 3 months chasing a player who never wanted to join. Next they got battered by Brentford and then splashed out on Casemiro (who they did need despite it being short term) and then Antony to produce balance on the right.

This summer should have been about having the funds to go and produce a strong side and that meant Murtough going to Ten Hag, this is what I can get. Ten Hag would have been left to do the coaching rather than doing everything like the first summer.

This is where a strong football director to say this player is not ideal or we are wasting our time chasing this player, we going for alternative targets.

Of course alot of the problem would eradicate if you did not have those pricks in charge up at the top.

RuudTom83

There is a league cup games against Palace coming up...I hope EtH can field a side which is free of the doom and gloom and instead full fresh faces.

--------- Hojlund ---------
Garnacho - Pellestri
---------- Mount ----------
- Amrabat - Mainoo -