Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AshRK

If the board did not sign the players ETH wanted, we'd all be against the board because they don't support the manager.

Now that they signed the players that ETH wanted, our board is useless.
You are just proving my point that they are useless. No club runs like we do. If manager has to recruit, scout then what is the point of the board.

The Hilton

I have already replied on your argument. Get a caretaker for the rest of the season while we search for a replacement.

You're making it look like he has done miracles that no other manager can outwork. He got top 4 and won a League Cup. Ole - whose only experience in PL before United was relegating Cardiff, and who is widely considered to be a failure at United - got us 3rd and 2nd two seasons in a row plus reaching a Europe League final. That's Ole, for God's sake.

Any manager would do a similar job to what Ten Hag has done at United if not better. Literally anyone, because he hasn't achieved anything at all and done feck all more than the previous United managers who were all considered a failure here. They all got top 4 and won domestic cups.

What did Ten Hag achieve exactly that any next manager, even if it's Michael Carrick, will struggle to replicate ?

The reason for sacking a manager or keeping him is based on how good a job he's doing. He does a good job he stays, he sucks he's sacked. Replacement comes next, because if the manager sucks at his job, the next manager won't actually have a hard time doing a better job as the standards are already rock bottom.

Poor run ? United has been shit ever since March. Last time we were any good was when we defeated Barcelona. We won that glorious cup next and after that it has been a shit show non stop from then till now.

The only childish thing is convincing yourself this is just a slump and we're going to turn it around, when this is how we have been performing for months and prior to this season start.

This was supposed to be our piss easy run of games to salvage the bad start of the season and we already fecked up a game at home against a bottom half team.

You're just narrow sighted and deluded, that's all.
In all of this word vomit there isn't a coherent thought, it's just reactionary man yells at sky ranting.

If you think a manager can do a better job than Ten Hag, name him and explain why. If you can't name a single manager who you think can do a better job, the he isn't doing as bad a job at you claim.

So last chance to make a rational point before you go on ignore - who could we bring in that would do a better job than EtH? And what evidence points to them being able to? Make a good case and I'll get on board.

Anustart89

Speak for yourself. I and many other posters here have consistently been against the idea of mindlessly indulging the manager (whether it's ETH or anybody else) with his preferred signings.
I agree with the general sentiment, but it's not like we have best-in-class in the DoF department either. I don't trust the current structure to direct the club in terms of style and philosophy, and to sign a manager suitable for the current crop of players if EtH were to be relieved of his duties (which I still don't hope considering the adversity he's been facing since joining).

You'd hope that we'd get some proper recruitment into that part of the hierarchy who could guide the overarching strategy in terms of signings, club vision and if need be managerial changes.

The Hilton

I’d gladly take a 12th place finish this season if we looked like we were transitioning into something other than total shite. The players aren’t doing the basics well and we can’t just keep replacing them because of that, at some point the coaching staff have to do their jobs also.
The reason we're not playing great is trying to transition to a new system though, that the difference in how we're trying to play is clear, we just aren't completely comfortable with it yet.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I need the positive, don't panic posters to give me reasons as to why we need to keep the faith

ManUtd1999

There's no achievement in finishing top 4 and winning the most pointless domestic trophy out of the possible 3. When you and other Ten Hag fans realize how big Manchester United is supposed to be, we can argue. What you are doing is lowering the standards to rock bottom to justify your manager being shit at his job. Previous managers got top 4 and won domestic titles and they were sacked. Van Gaal sacked after winning an Fa Cup few days before and it's far more prestigious trophy than that pointless League Cup.

Manchester United hasn't progressed one bit since Ole days after 400m and 15 months under our new great coach. Still play eye soring football and struggling to finish top 4. Most of his signings failed and he filled the team with more deadwood we will have to get rid after he leaves.

Replacement? The guy is making me miss Ole. How bad does that sound.

As I said before, if your only argument for keeping a manager at his job is that you can't think of a replacement and not because he is actually doing well at his job, then that means you have no argument for that manager to start with.
What wasn’t enough with LVG, Mourinho and Ole is apparently enough with ETH.

Tan Hag is just not a good manager and brought nothing significant to the team in 15 months. We either lose or barely win (like last week). We’re not convincing at all. I keep hearing about the modern football, but I don’t see it. I also find him too passive during the games.

Not saying that he should be sacked, but we should improve our results fast. I also suggest that no one gets too excited if we win the next game as we could very well lose the following one.

The Hilton

He’s a Jose Mourinho fan who is ready to stick the knife on every manager that has come and will come here after Mourinho. He’ll do the same with the next manager : he won’t post much, then as soon as he smells blood he will start asking for his head.
I didn't realise it was Mourinho'd loyalty driving him, but the last part I could figure. Every post is a borderline unhinged rant that goes no deeper than "Ten Hag bad", with nobody in mind to replace him.

KD6-3.7

I like Ten Hag but we are so frustrating to watch. We don't even resemble a team most of the time, there's no clear structure I don't buy this whole we're a transition team because we look absolutely clueless most of the time.

frostbite

Mount, yes. There were more suitable young, strong 'transition' midfielders able to drive the ball and beat the press available in France and Germany for a start. But people have very short memories about DDG's horrific passing and his positioning on various occasions over the last couple of seasons. We definitely needed a keeper akin to Onana, even if you think Raya or someone would have served equally well for 10m less. The most reliable sweeper-keeper in terms of the whole package (an injured and aging Neuer notwithstanding) is currently at Liverpool...

Hojlund is a long-term project and has lots of good attributes -like many 20 year old forwards, he will need time to adjust, but a project with physical capacities for the PL was a good signing. We just needed to ensure it, or he, was accompanied by a strong backup. Martial had a good game mid-week but he isn't a reliable option. Aside from that, it would help if we actually created opportunities for him; one good cross and beyond that he was just foraging. No proper cut-backs, no balls to run onto outside to in in the 18 yard box. We're mediocre creatively compared to nearly half of the league. Those aren't great conditions for a young CF to come into.
He may need 3 years to adjust and grow. And in 3 years Hojlund will only be 23, still very young. Are we going to play with Martial as our main striker for the next 3 years?

el3mel

In all of this word vomit there isn't a coherent thought, it's just reactionary man yells at sky ranting.

If you think a manager can do a better job than Ten Hag, name him and explain why. If you can't name a single manager who you think can do a better job, the he isn't doing as bad a job at you claim.

So last chance to make a rational point before you go on ignore - who could we bring in that would do a better job than EtH? And what evidence points to them being able to? Make a good case and I'll get on board.
No, put me on your ignore list. You don't seem to even read what you're replying to.

To be fair, putting me on your ignore list will be a bigger achievement than Ten Hag winning the League Cup with United.

ManUtd1999

He got out at the right time. This mess proves he wasnt the biggest problem as the media and this manager tried to make out.
Ronaldo was never the problem. We were poor before he returned to us in 2021 and we are poor now.

Someone

Something
Still don't think he should be sacked. Our biggest issue is still recruitment, although he can take some blame on transfers as well, but the club that is full of clowns allowed him to do that. And we ended up wasting so much money just to be worse.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I was a big fan of him last year and ignored some red flags. But this season i have no sympathy or excuses for him.
He wasted 200 mil euros on wrong players and instead making step forward this year, we made 2 steps back.
He was backed like no manager was. Ever. So all this mess is on him. Not on Glazers, not on luck or injuries. 100% on him.

Baxquux

He got out at the right time. This mess proves he wasnt the biggest problem as the media and this manager tried to make out.
it really doesn't. Our form, if anything, got better when he was out of the side and continued to be good until towards March. ETH has made some weird or stubborn player decisions, as well as being subject to Rashford's moods and whims this season, but Ronaldo is pretty much a busted flush in top-flight football except if you build your team completely around laying on chances for him despite the waning acceleration and even waning finishing abilities, and at the cost of other players scoring goals. It's like the Rashford issue, but 3x worse, both on the pitch and in terms of dressing room morale. He would have scored about 4 more goals over the whole season and we would have finished around 8th if he was playing every week...

Rista

Why do people say stuff like this like he's somehow better than the club and doing us a favour being here?
We love to create cults around managers so you end up with people actually believing stuff like this.

The Hilton

No, put me on your ignore list. You don't seem to even read what you're replying to.

To be fair, putting me on your ignore list will be a bigger achievement than Ten Hag winning the League Cup with United.
So just to be clear, you're unable to make an argument for anyone to do a better job than a manager you want fired. The lack of critical thinking ability and general reasoning is astounding.

McTerminator

Same Sh*t different manager. Our issues start and end at the top.

Debate about managers, coaching staff, scouts, players, even execs is all pointless.

We have seen different personnel in all of these roles and nothing ever changes.

The only two constants are United being dreadful and the Glazers being the owners.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why do people say stuff like this like he's somehow better than the club and doing us a favour being here?
Hilarious, isn't it? Even if you ignore the fact that he'd be throwing away millions of pounds, which other club of our stature is ever going to hire him and give him the level of control that we've given him?

Remember people saying the same about Ole in his last few months as well.

The Hilton

Okay, so why does it take other managers 2 weeks and we need a full season?
Which "other managers" have taken a low/mid block counter attacking team, and turned them into a pressing or possession powerhouse in 2 weeks, in an extreme high pressure environment like United?

That's a genuine question, as if there are managers who have done that we should be all over them.

My suspicion is that you'll say De Zerbi, who's done nothing of the sort, but I would love to be wrong.

OrcaFat

Speak for yourself. I and many other posters here have consistently been against the idea of mindlessly indulging the manager (whether it's ETH or anybody else) with his preferred signings.
Someone else posted a good point. There’s always going to be somebody deciding who to sign. If it’s a DoF then you can mindlessly indulge him instead if you like.

I’m not against a change in structure out of principle - it could work but it’s all about getting the right people in these positions. There isn’t anyone at the club better qualified to make decisions about recruitment than EtH. The more I think about it, the more I am in favour of a SAF style manager who, basically runs the whole football side of the club and delegates as much of the work as is appropriate but is responsible for everything.

If you separate the responsibilities, then you dilute the accountability. If the manager has no control over recruitment, he can easily shift “blame” from himself when results are poor. A DoF can blame the coach when really it may be the recruitment that’s poor.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Same Sh*t different manager. Our issues start and end at the top.

Debate about managers, coaching staff, scouts, players, even execs is all pointless.

We have seen different personnel in all of these roles and nothing ever changes.

The only two constants are United being dreadful and the Glazers being the owners.
We dont need Glazer spending another 400m to win against Crystal Palace. This team only had 2 players missing which ETH didnt want. Playing a midfield of Casemiro Mount and Bruno didnt work in first few games and still doesn’t work. But ETH is persisting with it and we are seeing the results of that

ManUtd1999

it really doesn't. Our form, if anything, got better when he was out of the side and continued to be good until towards March. ETH has made some weird or stubborn player decisions, as well as being subject to Rashford's moods and whims this season, but Ronaldo is pretty much a busted flush in top-flight football except if you build your team completely around laying on chances for him despite the waning acceleration and even waning finishing abilities, and at the cost of other players scoring goals. It's like the Rashford issue, but 3x worse, both on the pitch and in terms of dressing room morale. He would have scored about 4 more goals over the whole season and we would have finished around 8th if he was playing every week...
So, we had a good run after Ronaldo left? Good, and then what?

We had good run when Ronaldo was still at Juventus. I remember us winning 9 of 10 games (or something like that) under Ole. We had a good run under LVG in spring 2015 (beating Tottenham, Liverpool and City in the process). So what?

In the end, Ronaldo has been out of United for a year, and here we are: 4 losses in 7 league games, and underwhelming level of play even when we win.

crossy1686

career ending
Which "other managers" have taken a low/mid block counter attacking team, and turned them into a pressing or possession powerhouse in 2 weeks, in an extreme high pressure environment like United?

That's a genuine question, as if there are managers who have done that we should be all over them.

My suspicion is that you'll say De Zerbi, who's done nothing of the sort, but I would love to be wrong.
Ange at Tottenham, Chelsea are playing different football under Pochettino (badly but you can see his style), O’Neil at Wolves, all new managers who have implemented the way they want their team to play in a matter of weeks. Why are we so special that we need a full season to pass and move better than we currently are? We’re talking about professionals here that train for hours a day.

DSG

Looking at this analytically, here are the problems:
* Injury crisis, especially in defense
* Rashford is in a bad mental space. We’ve seen this before. He’s pretty awful when like this. When he’s on, he’s the best player on the pitch. When he’s off, he’s horrendous in decision making and his finishing disappears.
* Bruno is off compared to his best
* We have few difference makers and no proven scorers
* Hojlund not ready. Let’s face
* The squad lacks confidence.

We are in a “break glass in case of emergency” situation.

I really believe we have to get back to basics: do not concede. Defend with a purpose. Use our speed and strength: counterattack into space. Stop fecking around and bringing in the fullbacks to midfield. Stop fecking about with Bruno and Pellistri and Mount at RW. We need wings that can actually dribble past a fullback. Get Rashford a few breakaway goals, give the opposing CBs something to think about.

My starting 11 during injury crisis:
Onana
Lindelof Varane. Maguire (gulp) Dalot
Casemiro. Amrabaat
Antony. Bruno. Garnacho
Rashford

Subs:
Hannibal
Mount
Hojlund
Eriksen
Evans
Regulon
Martial
Pellistri

El Zoido

Ange at Tottenham, Chelsea are playing different football under Pochettino (badly but you can see his style), O’Neil at Wolves, all new managers who have implemented the way they want their team to play in a matter of weeks. Why are we so special that we need a full season to pass and move better than we currently are? We’re talking about professionals here that train for hours a day.
You could see his style earlier last season. It's the same with all new managers we get, they do impart their style at the start, but when it starts to unravel we regress to the same old habits. It happened with LVG and Mourinho too. LVG is probably the one who got it to stick the longest.

Baxquux

So, we had a good run after Ronaldo left? Good, and then what?

We had good run when Ronaldo was still at Juventus. I remember us winning 9 of 10 games (or something like that) under Ole. We had a good run under LVG in spring 2015 (beating Tottenham, Liverpool and City in the process). So what?

In the end, Ronaldo has been out of United for a year, and here we are: 4 losses in 7 league games, and underwhelming level of play even when we win.
Point is, that there's little to no evidence Ronaldo would have helped us then, let alone now. Again, just because he was right about slipping standards doesn't mean he was in any way equipped as a player to help us address them. If anything we may have picked up more points in both the Ole/RR season and the first part of ETH's 1st season if we'd gone with a younger, less 'glam' attacker instead of signing him . The only part I'd concede is that compared to, say, the Glazers he wasn't strictly speaking United's number 1 issue.. Still higher than ETH's set-up though (which I also have qualms about)

LordSpud

Imagine living and dying by the Rashford/Bruno/Mount trident :lol:

Ah well, who's next?

Matt851

You could see his style earlier last season. It's the same with all new managers we get, they do impart their style at the start, but when it starts to unravel we regress to the same old habits. It happened with LVG and Mourinho too. LVG is probably the one who got it to stick the longest.
I can't say I have been able to discern any sort of attacking style or patterns at any point in his reign. We have looked decent defensively at times but going forward we have always been limited and reliant on rashford. It seems more muscle memory from ole's counter attacking days than anything he has drilled into the squad

ManUtd1999

Point is, that there's little to no evidence Ronaldo would have helped us then, let alone now. Again, just because he was right about slipping standards doesn't mean he was in any way equipped as a player to help us address them. If anything we may have picked up more points in both the Ole/RR season and the first part of ETH's 1st season if we'd gone with a younger, less 'glam' attacker instead of signing him . The only part I'd concede is that compared to, say, the Glazers he wasn't strictly speaking United's number 1 issue.. Still higher than ETH's set-up though (which I also have qualms about)
I didn’t say that Ronaldo was the solution. He wasn’t, definitely not for the long run.

I said that Ronaldo was not the problem.

Lost bear

This is built on faulty logic, though. The manager did not take long to get the team playing vastly better when he arrived last season. The problem is the decline in the last third of last season and the dreadful start we’ve made this season. It’s not his beginning but his recent performance that bothers me. It is surprising, not to say shocking, and I doubt that it can all be attributed to injuries. I don’t know what’s going on but it’s obviously concerning.