Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xaviboy

I don't want him sacked but watching spurs play good football under a manager only in place since summer then questions need to be asked. They really look good at moving the ball and seem to have good movement going forward something we lack big time this season.

frostbite

The seven teams above us have scored about 20 goals each. We have scored only 11.

Last year we knew we needed goals, we needed a striker to score consistently. We spent close to $200m and we got Mount, Hojlund, and Onana. Why?

peridigm

The seven teams above us have scored about 20 goals each. We have scored only 11.

Last year we knew we needed goals, we needed a striker to score consistently. We spent close to $200m and we got Mount, Hojlund, and Onana. Why?
Odd because his Ajax teams scored a feck ton of goals. Yes, I know it's the dutch league but they scored goals in the CL too. Was the thing I was most looking forward to. Our GD has been atrocious for more than a decade.

Grande

I don't want him sacked but watching spurs play good football under a manager only in place since summer then questions need to be asked. They really look good at moving the ball and seem to have good movement going forward something we lack big time this season.
Remember how we looked against Spurs a year ago.

ti vu

Odd because his Ajax teams scored a feck ton of goals. Yes, I know it's the dutch league but they scored goals in the CL too. Was the thing I was most looking forward to. Our GD has been atrocious for more than a decade.
Ajax got the right system players in all positions. Like Brighton are full of decent but not world beater system players, but they're getting more than the sum of their parts.

Rashford and Bruno are very definition of individualists with big influence. And ETH through his own admission seems to accommodate them by trying to make us "the best transitional team in the world". So it's like going backward midway through a process. Performance pretty much tells the same story.

frostbite

There are more than a few players still at the club who downed tools for 3 consecutive managers. They're all acutely aware that the manager is the easiest thing to change if results aren't good.

I'm not saying that's definitely what's happening here but if you've got someone with a fragile ego and a choice between admitting they've got to put some mental and physical work in to change their habits and get better vs. just having everyone blame their boss and getting a fresh start with a new one they're going to pick the latter option every time.

This is a myth that needs to die!

Who has "downed tools"?

Nobody! The two players who should be really unhappy with ETH and want him go are McTominay and Maguire. Do you really think they "downed tools"?

r0663664

Worships Man City
It really doesn't matter how we finish this season, I hope we either finish top 5 or drop out of European football. I just hope ETH start playing Mainoo, Amad, Mount and Hannibal. Let's see if he can find a working formula. He get 1 last chance in the summer transfer to get it right! If Amad cannot replace Antony then sell him to the highest and find a new ring winger. If Mount can replace Bruno, let's get Bruno out of XI. If year 3, we still sucks then ETH should be sack for a new manager.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I have plenty of faith in him. I saw enough last season to know that he's capable of pulling the best out of players.

Giving him responsibility over transfers is just bad ownership, and makes him an easy scapegoat when they don't work out.

We have an injury crisis, an underperforming squad, players low on confidence, enough drama for the club to have it's own soap opera. It's frankly ridiculous that this club goes through as much as it does and we expect people in it to just keep going without distraction when there are so many uncertainties.

Once we get our core of players back and put all the noise behind us, I imagine things will be a lot better.
His team scored 58 goals last season, barely ending with a positive goal difference despite finishing 3rd. This season he’d do well to match that goal total with a quarter already gone.

Until he can construct an attack that can score goals, he cannot be considered a top PL manager at all.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He hasn't got enough good players, admittedly partially due to his largely poor recruitment, plus we don't have a system where a player comes in for someone else and knows what they're supposed to be doing. He can drop Rashford and Bruno as a gimmick for a game or two to give them a kick up the arse but the reality is we're fecked without them if we have to do it for multiple games because the likes of Pellistri, Martial, Amad and Van de Beek (who are some of the main alternatives) aren't any good.
Amad isn't any good, what do you base that on?

Belisarius

I've mentioned it on this thread before but I find the lack of draws under him worthy of noting.

Of the 74 games he's managed us, we've only drawn 9 times, or about 12% of games. He has a decent win percentage (63.5% which is notably higher than any other Post-Fergie manager) but the problem is when we don't win then more often than not we lose.

I'd put that down to a lack of pragmatism, which is something the team need to learn as a couple of draws this season (we currently have 0) would put us 2 places further up the table.

For reference here are the other draw rates for previous managers:

Rangnick 34%
Solskjaer 22%
Mourinho 22%
Van Gaal 24%
Moyes 18%

For reference, Klopp is also 22% and Arteta around 16%. Pep is the closest at 13% but he also wins most of his games (72%)
Your assuming the additional draws will come from the losses column rather than the wins column. I’m not sure that assumption is valid.

RedOrange

This is a myth that needs to die!

Who has "downed tools"?

Nobody! The two players who should be really unhappy with ETH and want him go are McTominay and Maguire. Do you really think they "downed tools"?
They downed tools for the previous 3 managers, Mourinho, Ole and Rangnick. Keep working on your reading comprehension, you'll get there some day.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Your assuming the additional draws will come from the losses column rather than the wins column. I’m not sure that assumption is valid.
Exactly. Most of our wins were by one goal, we got away with it last season but many could easily have been draws.

Redstain

His team scored 58 goals last season, barely ending with a positive goal difference despite finishing 3rd. This season he’d do well to match that goal total with a quarter already gone.

Until he can construct an attack that can score goals, he cannot be considered a top PL manager at all.
Honestly I'm at loss for understanding why so much of the forum are under the assurance that Erik is definitely going to be successful in the long run. There's not enough sample size and evidence to suggest and depending on how this second season transpires he could undo much of the credibility he built in his breakout season if things continue to underwhelm.

The expectation at United is heightened because of the relative strength of the league so a manager must at the very least be better tactically in coaching and strategy than 85-90% of the managers in the league to have any lasting success that's relevant to the level of this elite club. There are too many chinks in Erik's armour to have unshakeable confidence in him. Feels like the directive he was supposedly supposed to bring coming from Ajax has dissolved and evaporated so no one can really know what we are in for. Everything on the back of this feels both he and the players are going through a discovery phase with his intent, ideas and implementation which is why the teams so disjointed and the signings from one window to another don't compliment but contrast one another e.g. Eriksen to Mount. There too much uncertainty.

Last edited:

Oranges038

Because he needed a goalkeeper, a midfielder and a striker and went for 3 of the most obvious available options.

You can argue about the players recruited and the money spent, but there's no arguing that those were positions that needed to be filled.

Redstain

Because he needed a goalkeeper, a midfielder and a striker and went for 3 of the most obvious available options.

You can argue about the players recruited and the money spent, but there's no arguing that those were positions that needed to be filled.
Needed is a strong word and the debacle around the contract offered to De Gea was farcical and exemplified a lack of direction both from the hierarchy and the manager. I said back in summer that it was a 5/10 window. What United needed to do is address the weakest areas concerning the squads deficiencies. Not one of those positions you mentioned aside striker had any priority above forward options because last year the attack and mostly the managers success were held together by the form of an individual player with a relatively long purple patch.

United should have signed two wingers and a striker possibly with view to a fullback to overlap. The funds this summer were spent poorly not in proportion to the quality of the individual players acquired but not addressing the urgent areas of the squad, the evidence of that is in the teams performances. Three new players yet the needle for the first team hasn't moved significantly enough. So in a window where there was room to move forward the only direction the team has taken is a sidestep it's not a coincidence.

Oranges038

Needed is a strong word and the debacle around the contract offered to De Gea was farcical and exemplified a lack of direction both from the hierarchy and the manager. I said back in summer that it was a 5/10 window. What United needed to do is address the weakest areas concerning the squads deficiencies. Not one of those positions you mentioned aside striker had any priority above forward options because last year the attack and mostly the managers success were held together by the form of an individual player with a relatively long purple patch.

United should have signed two wingers and a striker possibly with view to a fullback to overlap. The funds this summer were spent poorly not in proportion to the quality of the individual players acquired but not addressing the urgent areas of the squad, the evidence of that is in the teams performances. Three new players yet the needle for the first team hasn't moved significantly enough. So in a window where there was room to move forward the only direction the team has taken is a sidestep it's not a coincidence.
They were all priority areas.

ETH wanted DDG out.
He wanted Fred and McT out.
He needed a striker.

So he was buying to replace a keeper he didn't want to keep, 2 midfielders he didn't like and wanted to sell and a striker because he didn't have 1.

Like I said you can argue about the value for money of the signings, but you cannot argue that those positions didn't need players. He may have over paid for them, but to be honest I think it's a bit much to be writing players off after 10 games.

If the club had gotten the money in from selling McT and Maguire, you would think there would have been 1 or 2 more permanent signings brought in.

Andrew Richmond

ETH days are numbered, he may well see out the season, but we are awful and the players he has brought in a ridiculous cost just aren’t good enough.

Romez

They downed tools for the previous 3 managers, Mourinho, Ole and Rangnick. Keep working on your reading comprehension, you'll get there some day.
How many players in the current squad were here when Mourinho was manager? Dalot, Rashford, Martial, McTominay, Shaw and Lindelof?

You're saying those players are the main problem?

cyberman

We’ve scored 20 odd goals in all competitions so far this season.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Last season we had Weghorst as the main striker. This season we have Hojland, who is 21 and not available for the first 2-3 matches. We also dont have a Bissouma, maddisson and Casemiro seems quite off this season but was also missing bcs of stupid red cards the last half of 22/23. The expensive players we do have and are performing, arent available (Shaw, Martinez, Wan Bissaka). Amrabat just di his 2nd or 3rd match? Rashford is not performaing but as a whole, man united isnt Spurs and/or the other above teams who have depth and more quality.

Andrew Richmond

in years to come Man Utd history will not be kind to ETH.

His signings, at great expense has been less than satisfactory and that is being kind.

The new manager whomever that May be will be stuck with ETH signings he will not be able to off load.

There is no light at the end of the tunnel. ETH is not the answer and the current playing group are no where near good enough.

Big Ange has shown more in a couple of months, despite the loss of Harry Kane, what does that say @bout where we are at as a club. Spurs ain’t gonna win the league but they will finish @bove us, playing much better football, on a significantly lower budget.

ETH hasn’t just spent 400 million pounds, he has thrown away 400 hundred million pounds on players who just aren’t anywhere near good enough or what we needed.

Maybe we just need to give him another couple of hundred million pounds to sign players he has worked with previously and our fortunes will miraculously turn around.

RuudTom83

There is always way too much analysis and opinion these days after every match...you can be world class at kick-off and need to retire by the final whistle.

We are playing City this weekend in the 10th game. I like to look at the team after 10 games and then at the half way mark.

City
Fulham
Luton
Everton
Newcastle
Chelsea
Bournemouth
Liverpool
West Ham
Aston Villa
-------- Half Way Mark ---------

4th place is 5 points away, lets see if EtH can get United into the Top 4 by Christmas.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
There is always way too much analysis and opinion these days after every match...you can be world class at kick-off and need to retire by the final whistle.

We are playing City this weekend in the 10th game. I like to look at the team after 10 games and then at the half way mark.

City
Fulham
Luton
Everton
Newcastle
Chelsea
Bournemouth
Liverpool
West Ham
Aston Villa

4th place is 5 points away, lets see if EtH can get United into the Top 4 by Christmas.
Look at those fixtures and tell me where the wins come from.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

City
Fulham
Luton
Everton
Newcastle
Chelsea
Bournemouth
Liverpool
West Ham
Aston Villa

Jesus those fixtures look brutal.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

City
Fulham
Luton
Everton
Newcastle
Chelsea
Bournemouth
Liverpool
West Ham
Aston Villa

We need to note how we do in the CL as well, if we can't get through the group stage there's not that much point for us to be clammering to be back in the top 4 outside of the cash incentive.

A-man

I was so happy that we got a coach with a plan and clear idea, but now he looks clueless and random as well :confused:

VWW

This thread is so toxic that if you dive deep into it, you'll become the Joker.

We got it, every win we had is because of player's brilliance, every loss we had is because of ETH.
theres no point being rational in this thread, the solution from some fans here is that we should repeat what weve been doing for the last 10 years and sack the manager because that worked out so well last time....and the time before that....and the time before that.

I've stopped reading most posts here and just scroll down until I find a tweet. No point reading the same posts that you read the last time we had a manager under pressure. I'm just surprised fans that spout this nonsense dont realise they are actually part of this boom bust cycle.

AndySmith1990

theres no point being rational in this thread, the solution from some fans here is that we should repeat what weve been doing for the last 10 years and sack the manager because that worked out so well last time....and the time before that....and the time before that.

I've stopped reading most posts here and just scroll down until I find a tweet. No point reading the same posts that you read the last time we had a manager under pressure. I'm just surprised fans that spout this nonsense dont realise they are actually part of this boom bust cycle.
Right, so where the club has gone wrong in the past decade is sacking managers? If we'd stuck with Moyes we'd be cruising now, yes?

Guapa

Time for ETH to bite the bullet and drop the undropables.This seasons gone already imo.Bruno,Cas,Rashy.Start the rebuild now mate.Of course he won't though

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Right, so where the club has gone wrong in the past decade is sacking managers? If we'd stuck with Moyes we'd be cruising now, yes?
It’s extremely flawed logic isn’t it, if they want the manager to continue it has to be because they think he’s doing a good job and he’s the right man to take the club forward.

dubplate warrior

He can start by dropping Rashford. Bruno is a little harder as he is captain, but Garnacho looks like a better player at the moment.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Probably not and I don't think anyone believes that. I think most people understand that the structure of the club isn't on par with other clubs and improving that should have priority. Either it allows the current manager to get better results when the environment is improved or the improved structure at least can identify a better manager for the then existing structure.

But just sacking the manager now and have the same clueless people sign a new manager doesn't solve a problem.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It’s extremely flawed logic isn’t it, if they want the manager to continue it has to be because they think he’s doing a good job and he’s the right man to take the club forward.
No. One can believe EtH will take the club nowhere and at the same time believe that sacking him makes no sense, as the replacement likely wouldn't be better.

dubplate warrior

Roberto De Zerbi would fail here not because of his undoubted qualities but because of the structure above him, until someone else is running things you're repeating the same cycle, over, and over, and over again.

I don't think Ten Hag overnight has suddenly become a crap manager. But I do think we gave him far too much power in transfers. Overmar's ran the show in terms of recruitment and allowed Ten Hag to do what he was good at.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I was so happy that we got a coach with a plan and clear idea, but now he looks clueless and random as well :confused:
His inability to adapt and make bold calls is shocking. He just ships out the same lineup week after week regardless of who has been playing well or giving any thought to cohesion. We literally fielded a team of kids in the Carabao cup and played the best we have all season and then he just ditches all of them.

STYLOISRED

Tactically, ETH is a very good coach. He has proven that his tactical ideas can work when implemented. But what I have seen from him this season is clear weakness. The lack of courage to drop certain players who hold back the team from playing the kind of football we know him to implement is sign that he can't last at this club. Garnacho should be starting, Bruno should be resting, even Mctominay should not be starting yet he plays them. His tactics and ideas are defensive and show that he is just grasping. I hate it