Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager | Staying

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FerociousCorgis

Wish we could realize just because not working now doesn't make the past mistakes any different. Ole was bad, and it was time to move on from ddg. That's the past.

As for the present I think I'm officially off the EtH train. For me it just comes to the fact that from what it seems his views are on with how to play, and how to set the team up just aren't something I agree with or think will be successful. At this point you have to say he is setting the midfield up in the way he wants, regardless of the individual players. For me I do not see a way in which this system of his will ever be successful in this league consistently. Even against shit Chelsea we were lucky, and time and time again we get demolished in the midfield battle.

Control starts with winning the midfield, and whatever giving 4-1-4-1 shit he favors just ain't it

justboy68

He's just not setting the team up to succeed and his purchases and team selections are shite. At this point what are we wasting our time for? He's not learning. You don't persist with a manager who doesn't learn from their mistakes.

Kostov

I get the frustration - but I think these two points are both unfair to a degree. We have signed some good players. Last year they worked - this year less so, but most of them have been injured. We have also played some really good football under ETH - not always, but at times.
Apart from Martinez, everybody else has been shit to questionable.

It’s very simple, a manager who watched us play, set up the team like he did last season to come in the summer and think I need Onana, Mount and Amrabat was an absolute disaster in the making. You just can’t survive that kind of incompetent squad building.

R'hllor

Oh i see people invoke Ole`s time here, aint that fecking cute, now we need Jose mafia to join in and we can have a party. Dunno does ETH has a following, they can join too. Sometimes i do wonder are people having MiB treatment after each sacking or what.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'll never take anyone's opinion serious that thinks Ten Hag's football is better than under Ole. Fine to think neither is good enough for where we want to be but this is far worse.
This is actually correct. From what I've seen, we still rely heavily on the form of our individual players (ie Maguire and Mctominay this season, Rashford and Casemiro last season), rather than our collective style of team play/football system to win games. If thats the way we are going to do it anyway, why not just stick to Ole - at least Ole has been more adventurous in attack and we would score more goals with his team.

TsuWave

Rashford Sancho Varane and Casemiro is a shadow of the player he was last season.
your statement was "I do think players have downed tools on him like they have under several other managers"

Ten Hag bought Casemiro - he was also one of the good points of last season, which are the several other managers he downed tools under?

Varane came under Ole and was a starter when fit, same under Ten Hag, I doubt anyone can accuse him of downing tools under Ole - albeit he's reportedly fallen out with Ten Hag, reports also express he's happy and adamant he wants to stay at United, which are the several other managers he downed tools under?

Rashford had his best season in terms of output last year, why would he suddenly down tools under the same manager?

Sancho came under Ole and fell out with the manager, which are the several other managers he downed tools under?

Can't it just be that the manager is shit instead of these non-applicable "players have downed tools on him like they have under several other managers" assertions?

UnitedRepublic

We’re not playing to Højlunds strengths neither Martials. We are a heavy wing playing team the middle is neglected we play to McTominays strengths in this team now aswell.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
your statement was "I do think players have downed tools on him like they have under several other managers"

Ten Hag bought Casemiro - he was also one of the good points of last season, which are the several other managers he downed tools under?

Varane came under Ole and was a starter when fit, same under Ten Hag, I doubt anyone can accuse him of downing tools under Ole - albeit he's reportedly fallen out with Ten Hag, reports also express he's happy and adamant he wants to stay at United, which are the several other managers he downed tools under?

Rashford had his best season in terms of output last year, why would he suddenly down tools under the same manager?

Sancho came under Ole and fell out with the manager, which are the several other managers he downed tools under?

Can't it just be that the manager is shit instead of these non-applicable "players have downed tools on him like they have under several other managers" assertions?
I think whatever has Rashford and Sancho out of the team is what the current malaise is within the squad. If that’s due to not working hard enough or being unprofessional then I am on the managers side to call that out even if it means not getting the best out of the team or upsetting the group. We can never win stuff with players who don’t work hard enough. Is what the manager is delivering now ok? No I am saying above I think he should go but the likes of Rashford and Martial have been here under many managers and they just aren’t good enough over a season to win anything meaningful with them. Even if they won a league you can bet they would be back to walking around the very next season. That’s not the kind of player we should be indulging if we want to set high standards.

Castia

He’s lost that squad and is picking players not on talent but those who haven’t fecked him off.

Dalot Maguire Shaw Reguilon

With Evans coming off the bench is generally one of the worst back 4’s in the league. Absolutely laughable teams have been relegated with better defences than that.

Then the system. I’m not a professional but even I can see where it’s going wrong and it’s down to essentially playing 1 midfielder because Bruno and McTominay are too far up the pitch, teams have been walking through our midfield all season.

The tactics, system, line ups everything with the club is wrong we’re shocking even when we win it’s mostly a fecking 90 minute grind.

Last edited:

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Apart from Martinez, everybody else has been shit to questionable.

It’s very simple, a manager who watched us play, set up the team like he did last season to come in the summer and think I need Onana, Mount and Amrabat was an absolute disaster in the making. You just can’t survive that kind of incompetent squad building.
I think you're assuming they were all his first choice - which they weren't apart from Mount.

TsuWave

I think whatever has Rashford and Sancho out of the team is what the current malaise is within the squad. If that’s due to not working hard enough or being unprofessional then I am on the managers side to call that out even if it means not getting the best out of the team or upsetting the group. We can never win stuff with players who don’t work hard enough. Is what the manager is delivering now ok? No I am saying above I think he should go but the likes of Rashford and Martial have been here under many managers and they just aren’t good enough over a season to win anything meaningful with them. Even if they won a league you can bet they would be back to walking around the very next season. That’s not the kind of player we should be indulging if we want to set high standards.
Again, I questioned which players you were referring to with your assertion that players have downed tools like they have under several other managers. Under closer inspection - that assertion doesn't really hold up. So the likelier explanation is that maybe the manager's just shit.

Again, Rashford put up numbers on the board just last season - it's quite perplexing, to me at least, that he'd just suddenly decide he doesn't fancy it. Martial has been injured for eons and his physical attributes have suffered, in any case - he hasn't been a bonafide starter or core for a very long time, so again, it comes off as cheap to point his way to justify or explain the managers shortcomings.

Yes, some player should go, but ultimately, "players have downed tools like they have under several other managers" is not really applicable here. Ten Hag is just not the all-conquering saviour people wanted him to be - in fact, he's proven quite inept

croadyman

There is no doubt the problems at this club are bigger than him,however both him and the players are culpable for this loss.

Genuinely I don't know who should take over,however the thought of him taking us to Anfield AGAIN fills me with utter dread.

Tony247

ETH is what wrong signings can do to you. United is what when you allow manager to control recruitment.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I began to worry when he said he wouldnt turn this team into like AJAX because of United way. He gave up what he had done previously and successfully as well. Maybe that explains his weird signings.. including a no 7 signing in Mount.

NK86

I don't think a GK was his first choice, period. I reckon he wanted Kane and KMJ, but was told no.
So he vetoed De Gea's contract and had the club chase Onana for a month and spend 50 mil on him, but yeah he was not a first choice or a priority for TH.

At this point, it's just amusing to see what are the excuses being trotted out for the manager who has done excruciatingly poor.

ti vu

Of course he did, but that doesn't mean they were his first choice.
I don't follow your logic.

You meant it's reasonable for ETH to fail to implement a proper sustainable system just because ETH's first choice were such as unobtainable/unavailable players like FDJ and Allison. You can get the best recruitment set up in the world, it still means jackshite when your manager is adamant on certain unobtainable players.

Who were ETH first choices again?

Nicoseth

So he vetoed De Gea's contract and had the club chase Onana for a month and spend 50 mil on him, but yeah he was not a first choice or a priority for TH.

At this point, it's just amusing to see what are the excuses being trotted out for the manager who has done excruciatingly poor.
Context is useful here - I'm not denying the poor form and underachievement. I was responding to someone who said all the signings were poor. I disagree. They've been poor this season for various reasons, but Case, Martinez, Eriksen were all excellent for us for most of last season.

Nicoseth

I don't follow your logic.

You meant it's reasonable for ETH to fail to implement a proper sustainable system just because ETH's first choice were such as unobtainable/unavailable players like FDJ and Allison. You can get the best recruitment set up in the world, it still means jackshite when your manager is adamant on certain unobtainable players.

Who were ETH first choices again?
I am not disagreeing with you - and our form is unacceptable. I actually think he could get sacked within a couple of weeks. I was responding to a post about all his signngs being bad. They're not. That's all I'm saying.

NK86

Context is useful here - I'm not denying the poor form and underachievement. I was responding to someone who said all the signings were poor. I disagree. They've been poor this season for various reasons, but Case, Martinez, Eriksen were all excellent for us for most of last season.
The context was pretty clear. You posted, and I quote "I don't think a GK was his first choice, period."

What in my response was not related to that? The guy has done a worse job in squad building than all the managers before him. 90mil on Antony, 60 on Mount, 50 for Onana, 75 on Hojlund.

Those are all eye watering insane sums to pay, and that is before you take into consideration he has managed all but the last one on that list earlier. Clearly shows he has no idea of what are the type of players this team needs to progress and he cannot even get the best out of the players he bought.

Nicolarra90

Can anyone wanting him sacked suggest a) what the club should do to replace him and b) what the club should do to break this cycle of sacking managers every few years once they start to underperform?
Why shouldn't we do that? Real Madrid does, Bayern does. Even Chelsea does and they've won the league and CL twice since we've last won them.

Nicoseth

The context was pretty clear. You posted, and I quote "I don't think a GK was his first choice, period."

What in my response was not related to that? The guy has done a worse job in squad building than all the managers before him. 90mil on Antony, 60 on Mount, 50 for Onana, 75 on Hojlund.

Those are all eye watering insane sums to pay, and that is before you take into consideration he has managed all but the last one on that list earlier. Clearly shows he has no idea of what are the type of players this team needs to progress and he cannot even get the best out of the players he bought.
So you think it's ETH negotiating those fees? As for your list of failures, Mount has been injured and could yet be a good player for us and Hojlund will be a star for us, I'm sure.

frostbite

Can anyone wanting him sacked suggest a) what the club should do to replace him and b) what the club should do to break this cycle of sacking managers every few years once they start to underperform?
We should do what Real Madrid does. Sack them when they lose. Sometimes sack them when they win. Sack them often and do not overthink. That's why we need "structure" as many other posters say: to sack the managers early. It takes us too long, and we allow managers to cause too much damage.

samlee86

So you think it's ETH negotiating those fees? As for your list of failures, Mount has been injured and could yet be a good player for us and Hojlund will be a star for us, I'm sure.
If not ETH then his agent: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ency-Rasmus-Hojlund-Sofyan-Amrabat-moves.html

Thats how the hustle works. You signed the players from the agency your son works at. The larger the fee the bigger the commission check.

Why else would you sign a random Danish kid with 9 Serie A goals for only £20m less than Harry Kane.

Knacks

Mount will not be a good player for us. Hojlund will just be ok. ETH has made shocking signings. Does he inspire us, team, fans ? NO. He is not the man to take us forward

Juicy Juiced

We are playing badly since that final game, so last night was hardly surprise.

But he won manager of the month so everything is fine.

Strelok

Don't think we're that bad even if we lost 3-0. And I don't think the tactic or midfield or defense is our biggest problem either.

Under SAF we had many matches where we also conceded first. We were the King of comeback for a reason. If my memory serves me right SAF's solution was actually quite simple. When he needed a goal he just threw more strikers in. Thanked to always having numerous good strikers we often managed to out score the opponent and win.

My most recent memory with our good strikers is RVP. Someone pass him the ball, he beat the defender, keep it then pass to someone else. Then run into the box, get to the right position, beat the defender again, get the ball back, shoot then boom a goal. It's actually quite simple imo.

Atm sometime Hojlund managed to keep the ball but he still doesn't know how to get into the right position. Then even if he does he can't beat the PL defenders to get to the shooting or heading stage. The PL defenders are always a bit faster than him to get to that ball. That's why he can't score in the PL yet imo.

Martial is simply finished as a footballer. Last season he still managed to keep the ball and pass it to someone else. Now he lost every duels aerial or not.

Rashford is fecked with his head, or his body, or whatever the feck it is. Again.

Imo our issue is actually quite simple. We just need some good CF who can keep the ball, pass it to someone else, get into the right position, then can beat the defenders to get it back again to shoot.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Does he not know how to coach an attacking game? Seriously, how can our forwards be so devoid of service (ok, I know a few of them are shit) but you watch Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, City and the amount of chances they create for their forwards is so good - even if they miss a few they will still get chances to score again.

Mercurial

I would rehire Ole at this point as an interim just to get rid of these bastards in our team. He knows who are the rats and I would like him to cleanse off the club from them.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I would rehire Ole at this point as an interim just to get rid of these bastards in our team. He knows who are the rats and I would like him to cleanse off the club from them.
Ole? Seriously? The guy who delegated discipline regarding lateness to Matic?

Son

It’s amazing how weak this side is for a United team. The whole squad is bare bones.

Us United fans have been beaten down to assume good football after spending a billion on players should be hard. We haven’t seen good football since 2013.

We hold the distinction of been the only big club in world football who couldn’t pull their s*** together for a decade now. We have so many advantages… or at least did.

Clubs like spurs finishing above us for example is so embarassing. They are a club built on failure yet surpassed us in about 3 months spending barely anything compared to what we have :lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's really nothing about the system. He could use an archaic W-M formation for all I care.

It's about shite football and shite result.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The decision making on field, in the moment, is down to the quality of the individuals. An obvious example is attackers not seeing the best ball or shooting when they should pass. These wrong decisions are not being coached. The right decisions are being coached but the players are not good enough to consistently implement what they are being instructed to do.

Stating the obvious here but you can’t coach Bebe to be Giggs or Cleverley to be Scholes even though they were at the same club and had the same manager.

With drilling and experience, Dalot, and the rest of them will start to make more good decisions but most of them are fundamentally below the calibre required and you just can’t blame that on coaching.

EtH makes loads of mistakes I’m sure but a lot of what the players do is just down to their ability.
In your opinion, what can be coached?