Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Skills

Snitch
I like that he talked about the left right imbalance in our team. Most of our players favour the left side of the pitch and that makes it easy for the opposition.

I still think a left footed forward is quite important for this team to address this issue

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I suspect they both sit in front of the mirror when they wake up, probably take their time. 2 hours or so as they philosophise new training techniques, carefully sculping each hair to a fine .mm
They probably use Manscaped on each other too especially in the hard-to-reach areas.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It’s reassuring to see a coach who knows exactly how he wants to play and the players he needs in order to achieve that.
He’s starting with the spine, from CB, CM to AM, all excellent on the ball, all excellent at breaking the lines, and all very press resistant.
And being tough on top

crossy1686

career ending
Andy Mitten said today that some of the players have described the training sessions as similar to the ones Solskjaer and McKenna would do, and that was a complimentary tone apparently…

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Andy Mitten said today that some of the players have described the training sessions as similar to the ones Solskjaer and McKenna would do, and that was a complimentary tone apparently…
Solskjaer didnt lead trainings?

Also I find it highly unlikely that the off the ball proactive movement was taught. Mitten is a great source, but I feel some of his views or takes appear questionable or almost like baiting.

Il probably need to hear the podcast for myself I guess

crossy1686

career ending
Solskjaer didnt lead trainings?

Also I find it highly unlikely that the off the ball proactive movement was taught. Mitten is a great source, but I feel some of his views or takes appear questionable or almost like baiting.

Il probably need to hear the podcast for myself I guess
By McKenna, under Solskjaer I meant.

Mitten likes to refer back to statements he made that were hugely unpopular at the time, like when he said United are going to have a hard time losing Carrick, McKenna, Perth and Solskjaer all at the same time. He got a load of abuse about the team not being coached ‘properly’ after that.

It might have been similar but I don’t think McKenna had the belief or credibility to back up the ideas he was pushing. Ten Hag and the coaches have been there and done it.

Greck

So is he just freelancing as Ole's publicist these days? because that is embarrassing nonsense. We were 3 years in and people were still coping that Ole couldn't play with patterns till he had spent a billion. We didn't even want to keep the ball against the likes of Liverpool, there's no way the training was similar beyond maybe some overlapping basics.

Marcelinho87

Just watching that vid of the first match and you can see evidently what he is trying to implement and it looks great, one thing I did notice though is out of all the players, McTominay was the one who struggles most with quick fluid passing, he needs more touches than everybody else, every time.

Trex

Luke Shaw would disagree

crossy1686

career ending
So is he just freelancing as Ole's publicist these days? because that is embarrassing nonsense. We were 3 years in and people were still coping that Ole couldn't play with patterns till he had spent a billion.
He wasn’t protecting Ole, he was just repeating what some of the players had said. Solskjaer had no authority, that was one of his biggest problems, you know for a fact, being Dutch, Ten Hag will openly seek confrontation instead.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He wasn’t protecting Ole, he was just repeating what some of the players had said. Solskjaer had no authority, that was one of his biggest problems, you know for a fact, being Dutch, Ten Hag will openly seek confrontation instead.
Ole wanted to be one of them, the cool easy going friend which backfired big time. EtH has authority and is the boss, huge difference and I am sure the players feel that now

LuckyScout78

4231 formation against Liverpool like Ten Hag said. It depend on the players he has in his disposition. So it show he is not stuck on the typical Ajax, Dutch and total football formation.

I agree with Ten Hag. You use a formation that suit the current squad and players. Use a formation that suit the Liverpool game squad. And the 4231 formation suit that match most.

No De Jong and Eriksen. No Iniesta or Kevin De Bruyne type of cm players. So the squad against Liverpool in Thailand. Like previous head coaches Ole an Ralf. Still 4231 or 4411 formation.

But if when a cm players like De Jong and Eriksen coming. We will see Ten Hag will use 433 or 4312 formation more.

Again. I like and agree with managers that use a formation that suit and get the most out of the players.
433 against Liverpool with that Thailand squad. Will not suit United really well. You get to have and line up top level LCM and RCM to get the most out of 433 and the team.
Fred and McTom are not cm players in a 433 formation. So he drop it and used 4231 with Bruno as a CAM. With 433. Bruno will drop down as one of the nr.8. Left or right cm beside the DCM.

SAF is the GOAT

Looking at the training videos from their mini-games (where Schteve really has made some dodgy ref calls :lol: ) It seems ETH is going with vibes AND tactics…we’ll be unstoppable!
From now on this team's name will be "Tactics and Vibes FC"

bosskeano

a lot of these top guys, hell, most of these coaches will do very similar training sessions but the quality and intensity of the training session is what becomes most important. You look at some vids we've seen with EtH running a session in comparison to the previous guys, it's night n day. Everyone does Rondo's....Everyone does 7v7+3, Defense vs Attack transition to counter goals, 3v2 to 4v3 counters to goal, 5v5/6v6 to two goal small sided just as examples. But it's the intensity, the information and feedback from the coach, the overall quality that is most important

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You know what I'm grateful of, not having to discuss whether we should keep Ole. They were dark days. I remember saying in one of the threads that if we got a good manager in and everyone was behind him, it would be so much better and the mood would be different. Some couldn't see it at the time.

But I think things are getting a bit more optimistic these days and I'm just glad that dark cloud has lifted and we can get on with stuff.

I just wanted to reflect on this as I'd just been sat at my desk thinking how dreadful it was near the end of Oles time and the constant arguing. Now we've got a top class manager that will coach players and take no shit, whilst also pursuing what I think are some really good signings potentially.

EDIT: And no Woodward.

Gator Nate

Thought this was a good example of what we'll see a lot this season

Good play, and you can see the clear structure and plan for how to progress the ball up the pitch. So already ETH is having an impact.

Equally, everything is a little bit tentative, players are having to think about what to do instead of it being automatic and there's a couple of two-touch moments where it might be one-touch in the future.

Obviously this was the first game of pre-season, so everyone will be a little rusty come what may, but I bet its the kind of thing we see throughout the early part of the season. A clear style developing, but maybe without the incision that we'll eventually have.
What I note is a lot more heads up and looking forward in anticipation. The main thing that drove me nuts under Ole and Rangnick was how they were totally focused on what was behind them and very seldom looking at what was available going forward. Fixing that only took two weeks under Erik. A lot of people poo-poo the talent on this team, but I think he actually can get a tune out of this fiddle. Sure, we do need better players, but Ole/Ralph achieved 6th with this squad, we've weeded out some attitudes and salaries, Erik already has what's left working more efficiently, we're working on more signings, and we have a couple weeks to go with preseason. What's not to like?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ole wanted to be one of them, the cool easy going friend which backfired big time. EtH has authority and is the boss, huge difference and I am sure the players feel that now
Agreed. I don't think having such a small squad helped, but when the likes of Rashford and Maguire's form fell off the earth, he'd still be signing their praises, playing them every game etc.

You need a fine balancing act. It's not easy but sometimes if a player is not pulling their weight they should be dropped.

One of the biggest issues was rushing Maguire back from his injury against Leicester instead of playing a fully fit Bailly. Maguire then cost us a goal as he couldn't run.

Ole talked a big game but he never fully trusted outside of his main guys.

Revaulx

I suspect they both sit in front of the mirror when they wake up, probably take their time. 2 hours or so as they philosophise new training techniques, carefully sculping each hair to a fine .mm
Maybe they have tweezers and pluck each other?

Blood Mage

McKenna is supposedly an excellent coach and he's doing quite well at Ipswich to be fair. I think Ole's tactics and lack of a coherent plan for how he wanted to play was a bigger problem than what we were doing in training.

Olecurls99

You know what I'm grateful of, not having to discuss whether we should keep Ole. They were dark days. I remember saying in one of the threads that if we got a good manager in and everyone was behind him, it would be so much better and the mood would be different. Some couldn't see it at the time.

But I think things are getting a bit more optimistic these days and I'm just glad that dark cloud has lifted and we can get on with stuff.

I just wanted to reflect on this as I'd just been sat at my desk thinking how dreadful it was near the end of Oles time and the constant arguing. Now we've got a top class manager that will coach players and take no shit, whilst also pursuing what I think are some really good signings potentially.

Yeah it's great when people get behind the manager

NoPace

Just watching that vid of the first match and you can see evidently what he is trying to implement and it looks great, one thing I did notice though is out of all the players, McTominay was the one who struggles most with quick fluid passing, he needs more touches than everybody else, every time.
Yeah, he makes a lot more sense as an 8 on a team that plays with a double pivot and on the counter, like West Ham, than he does here now. Can't think of an Ajax midfielder who he resembles really. Much more like the Czechs Moyes likes for instance. Or maybe link up with Mourinho at Roma, as they're a bit light there.

Newtonius

First words were “we made lots mistakes and have to improve” after beating Liverpool 4-0 even in a friendly, man this guy is legit.

Stig

It’s reassuring to see a coach who knows exactly how he wants to play and the players he needs in order to achieve that.
He’s starting with the spine, from CB, CM to AM, all excellent on the ball, all excellent at breaking the lines, and all very press resistant.
His first purchase was a left back

jem

What I liked the best in the Liverpool match is that this 4-0 scoreline was achieved with virtually the last season's squad. The squad which was maligned so much by the ignoramuses on this forum.
Are you suggesting that squad deserve the criticism it received?

Steve 007

I’m curious as to peoples views as to where we can realistically go this season?

I’ll start with the positives.
Two years ago we finished second, we added Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo.
The whole squad bar Ronaldo and De Gea under achieved so we know we can with a highly rated manager do better.
This squad on paper should have been too 4 no doubt, but the midfield was weak and the defence crumbled.

We if the media are to be believed are adding De Jong, Martinez and Erickson. All strong additions who are (all bar Erickson) an upgrade on what we have. If Varane, Sancho, Rashford and Martial play like they should and we keep Ronaldo, our attack should be 1 million times better.
Our midfield should be competitive and hopefully Erik can get a tune out of VDB as he did before too when the whole of Europe wanted him.

Now the negatives, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs, maybe even Arsenal have all vastly improved.

Can we make up the ground?

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m curious as to peoples views as to where we can realistically go this season?

The whole squad bar Ronaldo and De Gea under achieved so we know we can with a highly rated manager do better.
This squad on paper should have been too 4 no doubt, but the midfield was weak and the defence crumbled.

We if the media are to be believed are adding De Jong, Martinez and Erickson. All strong additions who are (all bar Erickson) an upgrade on what we have. If Varane, Sancho, Rashford and Martial play like they should and we keep Ronaldo, our attack should be 1 million times better.
Our midfield should be competitive and hopefully Erik can get a tune out of VDB as he did before too when the whole of Europe wanted him.

Now the negatives, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs, maybe even Arsenal have all vastly improved.

Ask Moneypenny

mikeyt

I don't just think it's about tactics it's also more about a strong leader, something Ole wasn't. It was clear very early in Ole's reign that he let the players run the dressing room and in essence do as they pleased. ETH appears to be a much stronger leader that is respected and won't stand for any crap, that for me will be the big difference.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I’ve got a good feeling about this guy. I mean I thought Jose would take us back to the promised land but I always expected Jose to implode at some point and to a degree - he did have success with us but with Ten Haag I’m proper getting a chubby.

wolvored

Well said. Fully agree.

Trex

I’ve got a good feeling about this guy. I mean I thought Jose would take us back to the promised land but I always expected Jose to implode at some point and to a degree - he did have success with us but with Ten Haag I’m proper getting a chubby.
He needs to get his signings and the right ones, as a trainer I have no doubt he's as good as we can get.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Top 4 and go far in all the cups. 3rd with a fa cup or europa is a good season I reckon.

Olecurls99

We probably aren't catching City and Liverpool this year but everyone else should be within reach. I'd be delighted with 80 points and not going out to any weak teams in the cups.

Once the football is enjoyable. That's the most important thing.