Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
In recent traditional manner I can see us signing a 30+ year old forward on deadline day. And no, that doesn't mean we're giving Ronaldo a new contract.

nau05194

Interesting to hear Erik Ten Hag saying the performance was really good. I didn't watch the game live, but looking forward to watching it back later on and should give a more of an idea of what he is looking for from his players.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Great manager, shit DoF. We still have a poor squad which will make it a tough season for him. We need at least 3 more players.
Good thing is that we see big improvements already considering he just joined

Eddy_JukeZ

Our attack is so thin.

If 1 of Martial/Rashford/Sancho are out, the drop in quality is staggering.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but I think we should have made 1-2 more signings regardless of De Jong.

croadyman

Great manager, shit DoF. We still have a poor squad which will make it a tough season for him. We need at least 3 more players.
Good thing is that we see big improvements already considering he just joined
Would say 4 more players for first XI absolute minimum which are RB,CDM/DLP,RW,ST

Robindinho

Our attack is so thin.

If 1 of Martial/Rashford/Sancho are out, the drop in quality is staggering.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but I think we should have made 1-2 more signings regardless of De Jong.
Spot on... One/two of them are bound to be out at some point, whether injured or just to rest and rotate.

On tour, seemed our backup front 3 were Elanga/Hannibal/Chong ffs. Can't be going in to a season with those as our options, plus Pellistri & Amad (I'd have thought a couple of those will end up being loaned, so even less choices).

Mata, Lingard and Cavani weren't brilliant, but at least they provided depth - we haven't brought in one to replace them... Could argue Eriksen but I can't see him playing from the wing too much, like Mata/Lingard did.

Imperative we sign a right winger and a striker (even if Ronaldo stays).

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Which one don't you think is needed then
RW for the first 11 we have Sancho. Although maybe you want to start him LW?

We do need more depth though. We need at least 2 attackers in my opinion. A starting wide player and another. Im not sold on Rashford (or Martial to be honest)

croadyman

RW for the first 11 we have Sancho. Although maybe you want to start him LW?

We do need more depth though. We need at least 2 attackers in my opinion
Just feel we could do with left footed RW option and don't see that as Pellistri/Amad

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The only one that isn't needed is a striker IF Ronaldo stays. Otherwise agreed. However, I don't think we are going to sign a Dalot upgrade, so I would give Laird an opportunity and sell Wan Bissaka.
Dalot is going to get found out

croadyman

The only one that isn't needed is a striker IF Ronaldo stays. Otherwise agreed. However, I don't think we are going to sign a Dalot upgrade, so I would give Laird an opportunity and sell Wan Bissaka.
Still think Ronaldo will go and would like Laird to get a chance but feel he will off out on loan again

AshRK

You can already see he is a good coach, a coach who has a plan on how to have his side play. Better quality and we will start winning games

Crashoutcassius

We have a better squad than we had the year before last, should be a fine season, especially if we add a couple more. Sancho Ronaldo rashford martial eriksen Bruno Donny elanga isn't great depth for 4 positions up top but one player would improve it greatly. De jong gives us the quality we need in CM. Worrying if we don't have a back up there.

bosskeano

Which one don't you think is needed then
i think we can get away with Dalot and AWB at RB while throwing in Laird....

i believe we need 2 serious signings....not 4 brand new starters

1 CM and 1 forward not necessarily a striker...martial, ronaldo and even rashford can play up top

bosskeano

now if you can sign a young CF like Sesko for a reasonable fee....then i'm good and bring in 3 guys

the_cliff

i think we can get away with Dalot and AWB at RB while throwing in Laird....

i believe we need 2 serious signings....not 4 brand new starters

1 CM and 1 forward not necessarily a striker...martial, ronaldo and even rashford can play up top
There have been positive signs in pre season from Rashford and Martial.

However, you're assuming they won't go back to their old, wasteful selves. I don't mind giving them another season but it's last chance saloon, for both of them.

NLunited

Assuming Ronaldo stays, I‘d say we need a striker and one or two playmakers. We are
very light in midfield.

Rashford/Martial on the left, Sancho/Elanga on the right is not bad at all.

Dalot and Malacia/Shaw nailed on and Maguire/Martinez/Lindelof/Bailly in the center is good.

Hopefully Frenkie de Jong added in midfield and Sesko up front.

If that happens we are in good shape.

JeffFromHK

I thought the main difference was Martial, Pellistri and Maguire all spooning easy chances while one of Madrids subs managed to bury a half chance.

There wasn't much wrong with us technically or movement wise. We just have soft defenders and no real cutting edge.

I think maguire has actually looked OK in pre season, but you couldn't imagine Dalot or Lindelof lasting more than a half for a team like Madrid because when they do have to defend near their own goal they fall to pieces
That's exactly the technical difference I have been talking about.
The reason we failed to score was that the first touch/short passing/shooting ability of many of our players were not up to the standard.
Short passes slightly ahead or behind (Bruno), half chances shooting straight at Oblak (rashford), First touch too heavy (Elanga was a culprit for a couple times), etc.
That's why we controlled the game but failed to score. There was no problem with pattern of play or formation. Just players failing to execute the plan.

Whereas Felix took a half chance well and put the ball into the bottom corner.

5 of our front 6 tonight are actually technically average or poor (in terms of first touch, ball shielding and short passes):
Rashford - average (good first touch but no ball shielding and short passes always off)
Elanga - poor (poor first touch)
Martial - good
Bruno - average (his ball shielding/first touch under pressure are AWFUL)
mcFred - average compared with other strong teams' midfielder

We would have easily trashed Madrid 3-1 or 4-1 yesterday if we replace Elanga and Rashford with like of Son Heung Min and Mane.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

croadyman

That's exactly the technical difference I have been talking about.
The reason we failed to score was that the first touch/short passing/shooting ability of many of our players were not up to the standard.
Short passes slightly ahead or behind (Bruno), half chances shooting straight at Oblak (rashford), First touch too heavy (Elanga was a culprit for a couple times), etc.
That's why we controlled the game but failed to score. There was no problem with pattern of play or formation. Just players failing to execute the plan.

Whereas Felix took a half chance well and put the ball into the bottom corner.

5 of our front 6 tonight are actually technically average or poor (in terms of first touch, ball shielding and short passes):
Rashford - average (good first touch but no ball shielding and short passes always off)
Elanga - poor (poor first touch)
Martial - good
Bruno - average (his ball shielding/first touch under pressure are AWFUL)
mcFred - average compared with other strong teams' midfielder

We would have easily trashed Madrid 3-1 or 4-1 yesterday if we replace Elanga and Rashford with like of Son Heung Min and Mane.
Who is out there that can provide us with a similar output to Son & Mane then

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If he can get us to 4th then I think it’s a bigger achievement than Mou or Ole getting us to 2nd.

JeffFromHK

Who is out there that can provide us with a similar output to Son & Mane then
No one as far as I know.

There seems to be no imminent solution. But identifying the problem is the first step of solving the problem.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Our form guide in pre-season looks like this W-W-W-D-L, even though I expect us to win Today to make it W-W-W-D-L-W, if we can produce that form guide when the season start every 5-6 games, I really do think we'll be around the top four conversation.

Desmond69

For me, ETH is in the same league as Klopp and Pep. He has a different style of play than we are used to, he pays a lot of attention to details and technical football. He has shown with Ajax that he can get the best out of the team he has, and in time I am sure he will get the right players into the team.

We must remember that it is easier to get hold of the right players when we are in the CL. So right now it's up to him to get us back into the top 4 and I have no doubt that he will probably get us up there and then it will be easier for him to get the right players who can be there to fight for the title.

Regardless of whether we like Ronaldo or not, he will be perfect up front, because he will, if anyone, be able to get something out of the passes that Eriksen will be able to send into the box. Some of our players are just not good enough "yet", they need to learn to understand the technical game and then be a bit faster than they are right now. Otherwise, I think there will be quite a few replacements again this winter.

ETH is the right coach for Man Utd. and I believe he is the most important signing we have made this summer.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon

Acquire Me

For me, ETH is in the same league as Klopp and Pep. He has a different style of play than we are used to, he pays a lot of attention to details and technical football. He has shown with Ajax that he can get the best out of the team he has, and in time I am sure he will get the right players into the team.

We must remember that it is easier to get hold of the right players when we are in the CL. So right now it's up to him to get us back into the top 4 and I have no doubt that he will probably get us up there and then it will be easier for him to get the right players who can be there to fight for the title.

Regardless of whether we like Ronaldo or not, he will be perfect up front, because he will, if anyone, be able to get something out of the passes that Eriksen will be able to send into the box. Some of our players are just not good enough "yet", they need to learn to understand the technical game and then be a bit faster than they are right now. Otherwise, I think there will be quite a few replacements again this winter.

ETH is the right coach for Man Utd. and I believe he is the most important signing we have made this summer.
Good post. I agree with everything. It’s very important to stand behind him and the team. We are going to look a lot different now than before and we will see more adventurous football. We will not win every matches and need to have some patience. The most important thing is getting in top 4 and obviously take our chances if possible.

Tarrou

Nice to see the players buying in. If we have to play Scott regularly then we're going to have limitations on offense that no manager can fix.

If we can get away with a 3 of Fred, Bruno & Christian/VDB, look more attacking minded, then I I'm hopeful.

We can only bring in so many players, 3 new starters would be good enough.
fred, Bruno and Eriksen would be suicidal

we need another CM for sure

OpenIntrovert

fred, Bruno and Eriksen would be suicidal

we need another CM for sure
In games where the midfield battle is quite tight, Fred will be the DM while Bruno and McTominay will be the CMs. Otherwise it will be Eriksen and Bruno.

He could be looking at the youth players to step up as CM. I feel Garner and Savage could be stepping up to the CM positions as backup, but lets see what ETH will do against Brighton.

Fluctuation0161

True. In years past the Greenwood's incident would have been handled on the downlow with a lot of hush hush. I mean even the girl's father was siding with Greenwood on this whole issue despite what he'd done to his daughter. Just tells you how easily this could have been hushed and swept under the rug if there were no social media and undisputable proof and evidences of what Greenwood had done.

I would imagine in years past before social media, this issue would have been brought up by the girl, club and Greenwood deny, then they settle it with the girl and her family, especially given how eager the father had been trying to exonerate Greenwood. He'd take the settlement money and everyone move on.
Alot of guess work there. I'm not convinced.

It was the girl who released the video, not her father, who's to say she wouldn't have released that to the newspapers in years gone by?