Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Chumpsbechumps

Bringing the place down is a bit over dramatic, my god.

Just an observation but some people in this forum really need to check themselves when offering a reply.

We are all here offering opinions and an opinion is to be respected regardless of what you as an individual think. Agree with it, disagree with it and move on without the drama.
Is this your first time in this thread ? It would be dead if the regular posters “moved on without the drama” :lol:

Waynne

So how do you know there's no obvious candidate in that case?
Which top manager is available to come to United? Pep is at City. Klopp won't come to United. Alonso is staying at Leverkusen. Those are 3 names I would say would walk into this job at United. I can't think of any other top manager of that pedigree. This is my opinion of course and you're welcome to disagree with it.

saivet

So we'll finish 7th or 8th. Our worst league position in PL history or our equal worst league position since Moyes.

We'll likely finish the season with a negative goal difference. When has that ever happened?

If we don't win at Brighton, we'll finish the season with our lowest PL points tally ever. If we win it will be our worst points tally, 2 points more than the Ole/Rangnick disaster season.

But yes, injuries and a dealing with a broken football structure...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The last two games, like last season, have shown that Ten Hag was more than capable in setting us up to be more compact and harder to play through. He chose the kamikaze five players press style of football. That's the main reason we are languishing in the table. Just another reason to be annoyed.

predator

Youth NITK
Great Post match interview by him following a brilliant rallying cry infront of OT. I've wanted him out for probably a year now but he is certainly fighting his hardest to save his job and that alone is very impressive for me. If we look decent against Brighton and win the FA cup then I will change my vote to keep and I dont care if that comes across as fickle.

Dannn411

The last 2 games he's definitely changed systems a bit. The frustrating bit is that he stubbornly stuck to the same failing, chaotic but garbage football all season with no intention to try to control anything. A full season of questionable decisions. Getting more control in midfield now by keeping more players there naturally just makes a big difference and we likely wouldn't have had this calamitous of a season if he had done this sooner. Still, better late than never. Hopefully we can do something respectable against Brighton and go into the cup final with some hope.

It's tuchel or him imo. Haven't paid attention much today but if tuchel is staying then ten hag will stay as well I'd say. Wouldn't want anyone else right now.
Is he playing these players and this way because his normal group is out? Or has he genuinely switched things up? If Rashford is fit, Ten Hag plays him which means Amad out. I'd say the same thing for Amrabat if Lisandro was fit. He would move Casemiro back to DM and drop Amrabat. So no, I don't think much has changed with Ten Hag.

Irwin99

He has finally stumbled into a competent midfield of Amrabat and Mainoo? Good play from both against two very good sides in Arsenal and Newcastle?

Its happened before with managers finding their best line up in a time of crisis…
Was it really though? The Amad neglect looks bad but although I thought Amrabat had a good (ish) game you'd have to be blind not to see the problems of his game and I can kind of see why he's not being picked. Two fantastic goal-denying blocks/challenges against two horrible mistakes that could have been very costly and it's not the first time we've seen this (City game for instance). It's just unfortunate that whoever starts in our midfield-Eriksen, McTominay, or Amrabat- always has obvious good and bad points to their game.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Funny you call the fanbase odd when even Jamie Carragher was blown away by the support away to Palace..

Best fans in the world. Its the idiots on here that let the club down.
I agree.

The feeling I have leaving the ground, win or lose, is always so much more positive than reading the shite that gets regurgitated on here.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
I was in great spirits until you came along, as you would, doing your thing and conjuring up the specter of another season of Ten Hag :lol:

But in honesty, let's enjoy the win and there are plenty of positives today.
:lol: Sorry to rain on your parade.

I honestly don’t think it would be a bad thing. I think it would be possibly the best thing to do.

I know there’s been a lot wrong and I know it’s not a popular view. But sometimes you get a feeling and I think with another season developing Mainoo, Garnacho and Højlund there might be something in this side.

Lost to Palace, beat Sheffield and Burnley, drew vs Brighton.
Injured players returning etc.
I offered my opinion on this matter saying that maybe giving Ten Hag a chance under Berrada, Wilcox and potentially Ashworth might be an option and that there are no obvious candidates to replace him and I've had 1 or 2 strong replies to that.

Another manager feels like another reset. Yes we've done bad this season but also have been ravaged with injuries. Whatever the case the highers ups have some tough calls to make.
If you only got 1/2 you’re doing great.

I think a new manager makes sense if they fit the culture INEOS wants to implement better.

I struggle to name a manager available that I think “yep that’s the one” but I’m not stupid enough to think that means there isn’t one. There could be. Or they could already be at the club.

FortunaUtd

Which top manager is available to come to United? Pep is at City. Klopp won't come to United. Alonso is staying at Leverkusen. Those are 3 names I would say would walk into this job at United. I can't think of any other top manager of that pedigree. This is my opinion of course and you're welcome to disagree with it.
The whole league is full of managers who have performed and managed their team better than Ten Hag has, in regards to resources at hand and in relation to goals and expectations. You don't need Klopp or Pep to not finish fecking last in a CL group containing Kopenhagen and Galatasaray and to end up higher than 8th place in the league.

RedRocket08

The fact that he can coach a somewhat more compact team as shown against Arsenal and Newcastle makes me even more annoyed at the tactical bullshit he's pulled all season. Borderline sabotage.
Yep, why we didn't pull this out against the likes of Bournemouth, Burnely etc. is my question as well. He's said (In that Neville interview) he didn't want to disrupt the progress by switching to another style of play, but that's hardly a reason to turn up our noses at a bit more revenue through getting a CL spot. He's either a bit loony, or knows he's got the job next season and is just taking the piss with our fans/media these days :lol:

Chumpsbechumps

Great Post match interview by him following a brilliant rallying cry infront of OT. I've wanted him out for probably a year now but he is certainly fighting his hardest to save his job and that alone is very impressive for me. If we look decent against Brighton and win the FA cup then I will change my vote to keep and I dont care if that comes across as fickle.
Meh, we all are fickle from time to time. No harm in just getting behind them all for the last 2 games. Whatever will be will be next season

CloneMC16

The person saying it doesn't matter. What he said is all that matters. When Ten Hag comes out to talk to the media, the fanbase starts saying he should be given more time. They ignore what we have seen in 90% of games this season.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
No not my first time but saying someone 'is bringing the place down' is a bit over dramatic don't you think
I only said that because he’s constantly on the wum, it obviously causes people to bite and then it’s not a matter of opinions or discussion. Just sniping. I’m more than happy with peoples opinions and whatever they think

stevoc

So Alonso is as good as Klopp and Pep after only one year in management? Did you think the same a year ago?

And of course even if that were true, we don't need to hire one of the worlds top 3 coaches to improve upon this season realistically. Beyond those 3, Arteta, Ancelotti and maybe 1-2 others. United can hire any manager in world football.

And if the thought process for any top club was ''Well Pep and Klopp aren't available, we might as well just keep our current manager.'' Very few top clubs would have changed manager over the last decade or so.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I was impressed by his speech too, I will change my vote to stay if we put in a great effort in the fa cup, I doubt we will win but if we play really well and also against Brighton.

Waynne

The whole league is full of managers who have performed and managed their team better than Ten Hag has, in regards to resources at hand and in relation to goals and expectations. You don't need Klopp or Pep to not finish fecking last in a CL group containing Kopenhagen and Galatasaray and to end up higher than 8th place in the league.
I can't disagree with your post. Its tough times as a United fan. Its our worst season since Fergie and no one can disregard the fact. I don't envy our new execs and technical director but I'm sure whatever the case (Ten Hag In/Ten Hag Out) they will sort out the mess. I don't know the answers and can only offer my opinion but I remain hopeful things will start clicking for us. Be it next season or 3 years from now. The very least we can do is remain optimistic if only the fact we've recruited guys who know how a football club should run.

I've said it before in this forum, its going to get worse before it gets good again.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We’ll find out what his everything means next weekend. He said the players will give everything to bring the trophy back to OT. Let’s see

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
No. He will want to humiliate us.
He will but whether he does or not remains to be seen. Probably a 3-1 scoreline again. We always fear that there gonna absolutely annihilate us but ETH always plays compact against them. It’s all about how good our counter attacking is on the day.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
No shame in it.

Everyone loves a fighter and an underdog.

I do think he’s just too cocksure for him to be leaving right now. So we may aswell get used to it and strap ourselves in.
Stop @ing me and willingly misinterpreting my posts because you have mod protection.
I haven’t tagged you? What did you mean by “Arsenitis” then?

Genuinely thought you either meant people are being arsey as in rude or that we have low standards?

As for “mod protection” :lol: if you call mods not allowing posters to resort to name calling and attacking a poster not the post then that’s just them doing the job correctly.

If you two foot a player and get a red card you can’t complain about the referee.

Fan standards have little to no bearing on our performance. Nor do they on the managerial position too. I don’t believe my personal views will keep Ten Hag in a job anymore or than yours will see him out of one.

FortunaUtd

Thats your opinion.
It is.
I can't disagree with your post. Its tough times as a United fan. Its our worst season since Fergie and no one can disregard the fact. I don't envy our new execs and technical director but I'm sure whatever the case (Ten Hag In/Ten Hag Out) they will sort out the mess. I don't know the answers and can only offer my opinion but I remain hopeful things will start clicking for us. Be it next season or 3 years from now. The very least we can do is remain optimistic if only the fact we've recruited guys who know how a football club should run.

I've said it before in this forum, its going to get worse before it gets good again.
I will be more optimistic in that I think next season will surely be better. Even if Ten Hag stays on it will not be as bad as this season, that much I will give him. So yeah, let's win the cup and move on from this nightmare.

honirelandboy

Just wondering why Amrabat didn't start With Mainoo more all season. Yes he's limited but hes comfortable enough with the ball at his feet instead of scott passing it sideways and backwards. Its pretty embaressing that Diallo has matched Anthonys record for the season in todays game. Garnacho at 19 looked absolutely gassed tonight after all the games he's played. Wouldn't be worried about Garnacho, he looked fatigued from kick off. Hopefully Ten Hag give him a rest till the final.

Waynne

There's many, many options out there that aren't Ten Hag. It's been two years and we've gotten progressively worse, there will be no corner turning, just brief up ticks in form surrounded by random batterings.
There are options I agree. Unsure who would come in and be able to move us into that top 4 bracket in the league. Really i'm not sure who I'd get in thats why I don't envy the position that Berrada and co are in at this moment. They have big decisions to make.
Just my opinion mate. I just want to see the club do well for a change and I hope our fortunes change for the better come next season regardless of who's in the hot seat.

Waynne

It is.

I will be more optimistic in that I think next season will surely be better. Even if Ten Hag stays on it will not be as bad as this season, that much I will give him. So yeah, let's win the cup and move on from this nightmare.
I'm on the fence for giving Ten Hag one more season. That may be a very unpopular view on this forum but with Wilcox, Berrada and hopefully Ashworth behind him, they will start working on a new and exciting team. These guys are a major upgrade over the previous regime.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I haven’t tagged you? What did you mean by “Arsenitis” then?
If the fact I spelled it with a capital letter does not make it obvious... but I'll humour you.

I mean the pathetic standards that have set in since Ferguson retired and that's getting worse because we have a whole new generation of fans that have been groomed to tolerate this bullshit, just like Arsenal with their pathetic celebrating of bottling the league two years in a row.

Having said that, maybe our fanbase was always this low-effort and only Fergie pushed the club to greatness beyond soap opera storylines (albeit great for the museum tour).

A top organisation (or even country) has its standards set from the bottom up and hence why Madrid are such a machine and why United are... for a lack of a better description pathetic (same as the UK at the moment).

frostbite

I enjoyed the win today, but we are still 8th, with minus 3 goal difference, after spending 400 million. The win today proves that the main reason we are 8th is ETH, not the injuries, not the players, it was ETH that messed up our season. And the reason he messed up is that he is not a good manager, actually he is the worst manager we had in the past 30 years and that's why we will finish in the worst position of the past 30 years.

vivaronaldo

I enjoyed the win today, but we are still 8th, with minus 3 goal difference, after spending 400 million. The win today proves that the main reason we are 8th is ETH, not the injuries, not the players, it was ETH that messed up our season. And the reason he messed up is that he is not a good manager, actually he is the worst manager we had in the past 30 years and that's why we will finish in the worst position of the past 30 years.
how anyone can argue any of this defies belief - bloke has delieverd a season that at any serious club would not have been tolerated , now he is out here giving trump like rallies hoping we simply forget the rubbish he has delivered week in week out ....eth is cooked

lsd

The Oracle
Amad's performance alone shows how poor a manager Ten Hag has been for is. It's shocking Ten Hag couldn't see what a talent Amad is and ignored him for Antony week in week out.