Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vivaronaldo

people getting swayed by a post match speech is laughable ....if hes that good at speeches , wonder why the players havent responded to any of this hype talk all year

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
how anyone can argue any of this defies belief - bloke has delieverd a season that at any serious club would not have been tolerated , now he is out here giving trump like rallies hoping we simply forget the rubbish he has delivered week in week out ....eth is cooked
Judging by a lot of the replies in the last few pages, it looks like he's succeeded there

AndyMUFC

All signs seem to be pointing towards him staying to be honest. I definitely don't get the sense he's going anywhere.

As lucky as he is to still be in a job, I can live with it now we've made it to the end of the season and are getting a break. I just hope it's been a learning curve for him and there won't be any excuses left once he's got his team back.

Judas

Open to offers
Better performance, good win. I don't know if I heard the wrong speech, but it was basically exactly what you'd expect any manager to say in his position? Absolutely fine, but bit bemused how some are talking about it.

gaffs

I am 100% sure Ten Hag will be sacked when the season ends. No club with a resemblance of sanity in the board room accepts this kind of season.
It is 50/50.

From INEOS's perspective, there are pro's and cons.

There is not an outstanding candidate looking for a job, or one that can be poached.

They may want to give him time under a new structure, with some smart signings. There may be some sympathy for him not having his best 3 of 4 center backs and no left back for most of the season.

If INEOS sack him in the summer and by Jan next year we still look like a shit show with a new manager, then they won't have another lever to pull.

Though on the other hand, they may look at some of the crappy signings that he is clearly responsible for and think, if he cant get a tune out of the players he has hand picked, then why risk the players that the new structure will buy in the summer?

Personally, i think he should go. Hate to say it, but I agree with Jamie Carragher - we are the worst coached team in the league and that started way before the center back injury crisis.

gaffs

We played ok tonight, but we have to remember that we still looked wide open and the game could have gone either way. Newcastle had 21 shots. We gave the ball away in our own half umpteen times. Newcastle were wasteful and had some great chances like the one Case headed off the line, the Gordon shot/cross that Almeron was inches away from, some good Onana saves and the 3 on one that Amrabat foiled.

Winrar

It is 50/50.

From INEOS's perspective, there are pro's and cons.

There is not an outstanding candidate looking for a job, or one that can be poached.

They may want to give him time under a new structure, with some smart signings. There may be some sympathy for him not having his best 3 of 4 center backs and no left back for most of the season.

If INEOS sack him in the summer and by Jan next year we still look like a shit show with a new manager, then they won't have another lever to pull.

Though on the other hand, they may look at some of the crappy signings that he is clearly responsible for and think, if he cant get a tune out of the players he has hand picked, then why risk the players that the new structure will buy in the summer?

Personally, i think he should go. Hate to say it, but I agree with Jamie Carragher - we are the worst coached team in the league and that started way before the center back injury crisis.
Also, if INEOS decide to keep ETH and he still fails and makes the same mistakes, and worse still, perform even worse than we did this season, people probably wouldn't feel confident about INEOS to make the right sporting decisions going forward.

Fallon d'Floor

We played ok tonight, but we have to remember that we still looked wide open and the game could have gone either way. Newcastle had 21 shots. We gave the ball away in our own half umpteen times. Newcastle were wasteful and had some great chances like the one Case headed off the line, the Gordon shot/cross that Almeron was inches away from, some good Onana saves and the 3 on one that Amrabat foiled.
We actually didn't play that well.

Newcastle had 55% possession, 21 shots, 6 big chances and hit the post twice. Their xG was 2.48 and it could have reached well above 3.00 had they been awarded a penalty.

We lacked control like we always do, but were fairly clinical. Another chaotic performance.

justboy68

So injuries don’t mean we have to play like absolute dunces all season? Who knew you just need to set up a team correctly. What a silly, silly man he’s been this season.

Fallon d'Floor

So injuries don’t mean we have to play like absolute dunces all season? Who knew you just need to set up a team correctly. What a silly, silly man he’s been this season.
We conceded a lot of chances and had little control, so tonight wasn't any different.

We're still way too open.

Blood Mage

We need to get to the bottom of what caused our injury crisis this season. My opinion is that Ten Hag's training sessions are the cause which is why I believe it would be irresponsible not to sack him.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We need to get to the bottom of what caused our injury crisis this season. My opinion is that Ten Hag's training sessions are the cause which is why I believe it would be irresponsible not to sack him.
He's pinning it all on the medical staff but I'd love to hear their side of the story. I'm sceptical that they're as incompetent as he makes out. I've always felt that he's been very desperate in his use of players and rushed them back too quickly. His handling of Martinez even last season was pretty risky and it backfired massively.

croadyman

Maybe a 'best in class' manager isn't available to replace him and he doesn't want to go down the interim round after how we got on with Ralf as a prime example.
If Ratcliffe is waiting for that to happen then I am afraid to say he will be waiting a long time

McTerminator

I am 100% sure Ten Hag will be sacked when the season ends. No club with a resemblance of sanity in the board room accepts this kind of season.
Arteta finished 8th twice, Arsenal accepted that.

Klopp finished 8th, Liverpool accepted that.

Did they make a mistake?

McTerminator

A lot has been made of Bruno’s impact tonight… one player.

If he can impact us like that on his own in attack then why can our fanbase not appreciate that the absolutely apocalyptic injury crisis in our back line might be the primary issue.

We knew we needed a CB in the summer, we couldn’t get Kim and now our worst fears came to pass, don’t think it invalidates the manager’s achievements in his first season with a more available squad.

frostbite

Did they make a mistake?
Why settle with Klopp and Arteta? They are both losers!

ETH should finish 12th next year, and 13th the year after that. Only then we'd be sure we have the new SAF, a real winner!

Juicy Juiced

Enjoyed that.
This game doesn't count. Newcastle is also ravaged by injuries. Isn't that how it works?

Did they make a mistake?
FFS not this shit again.

Anyway, good result last night but MF is still too open. Saved by few last ditch tackles.

Tap

A lot has been made of Bruno’s impact tonight… one player.

If he can impact us like that on his own in attack then why can our fanbase not appreciate that the absolutely apocalyptic injury crisis in our back line might be the primary issue.

We knew we needed a CB in the summer, we couldn’t get Kim and now our worst fears came to pass, don’t think it invalidates the manager’s achievements in his first season with a more available squad.
LVG and fergie had similar injury crises too. But the results were never as bad.

And even this season, there were options. But he insisted on playing subpar players e.g Antony

Fallon d'Floor

Did they make a mistake?
Try to use some context. C'mon, man.

Both of those managers took over during seasons. They didn't have a pre-season or make any signings of note.

Arteta improved Arsenal defensively compared to the opening 17 PL games of the season under Emery and won The FA Cup by beating City and Chelsea along the way. That's was a good initial 7 months as Arsenal manager.

While his 2nd season was also an 8th place finish, they improved their points tally by 5 points and doubled their GD.

Klopp reached a League Cup final and a Europa League final during his initial 8 months in charge. No pre-season and only 1 loan signing. He reached 76 points during his 2nd season.

ten Hag has gone completely backwards. They were always moving forward. It's not a case of us having a minor drop off i.e. going from 3rd (75 points) to 4th (70 points). We've lost 19 games in all competitions, which is our highest tally post SAF. We have a -GD with one game left to go. We finished rock bottom of our CL group with a -GD. We might only match our lowest ever points tally. We have to beat Brighton to avoid 58 points.

The drop-off this season has been frightening. But the signs were there since last February. The team has been out of form for well over a year now.

Klopp reached a CL final in under 3 years. We aren't even in The CL next season.

NZT-One

Did they make a mistake?
We might as well look at the managers who got 7th and 9th in those seasons. Those things have no meaning. At least a reasonable club shouldn't put any meaning to it. The question is, is ETH achieving the internal objectives, if yes, good then check of those objectives have to be adjusted or updated. If ETH doesn't achieve the objectives, look at alternatives and if a good alternative for the position is available, go for it. When the alternative is Southgate, double check if the person putting him on the list is potentially also worthy of replacement.

croadyman

Someone wanted a manager poll. Who are all the options to be included in the poll ?
Would say Tuchel (staying), De Zerbi, Flick, Amorim, Potter, Southgate and Frank. Can't see any interest with Inzaghi so don't see any point including him.

Personally think if we can't get any of them (exclude Potter and Southgate) then may as well keep Erik and wait for better options.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
What do you know, when you play the actual defensive midfielder, you spent the whole summer chasing, in defensive midfield, our shape instantly becomes better (even if said midfielder is a bit shit).

Bravo, maestro, make sure to start Mctominay there next game.

LordSpud

We know what it was - Casemiro himself said it. The medical staff weren't doing their job and giving the players the all clear to play when they probably weren't ready to.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If he's staying how much of that decision is down to the strange manager market?

Liverpool have had to go with their 3rd/4th choice manager

Barca have had Xavi stay

Everyone and their mother has turned down Bayern and they're asking Tuchel to stay

Ajax have been turned down by Potter

All the in vogue managers have decided to stay put for now.

The options for replacements aren't great

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
What do you know, when you play the actual defensive midfielder, you spent the whole summer chasing, in defensive midfield, our shape instantly becomes better (even if said midfielder is a bit shit).

Bravo, maestro, make sure to start Mctominay there next game.
Still lost the xG. Took a goal like clearance and Newcastle fecking up counter attacks with numbers to save the win. This is far from convincing even if he’s come to his senses.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Perfect time to hand him a new 3 year contract on the same conditions as before. No one could have won a meaningless home game against Newcastle with a makeshift defense where we used a DM as a RCB.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
If the fact I spelled it with a capital letter does not make it obvious... but I'll humour you.

I mean the pathetic standards that have set in since Ferguson retired and that's getting worse because we have a whole new generation of fans that have been groomed to tolerate this bullshit, just like Arsenal with their pathetic celebrating of bottling the league two years in a row.

Having said that, maybe our fanbase was always this low-effort and only Fergie pushed the club to greatness beyond soap opera storylines (albeit great for the museum tour).

A top organisation (or even country) has its standards set from the bottom up and hence why Madrid are such a machine and why United are... for a lack of a better description pathetic (same as the UK at the moment).
Ah ok.

So I wasn’t far off with saying you think fans have too low standards. Which is also I believe a bit silly. Standards are set by the owners, CEO, various senior roles, footballing personnel and coaching staff.

A bit weird that you would blame the people in the UK for something when we were discussing Ten Hag?

Also Real Madrid isn’t how it is just because a few fans wave a hanky.
Someone wanted a manager poll. Who are all the options to be included in the poll ?
Shouldn’t any poll be in the who will replace Ten Hag thread?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
If he's staying how much of that decision is down to the strange manager market?

Liverpool have had to go with their 3rd/4th choice manager

Barca have had Xavi stay

Everyone and their mother has turned down Bayern and they're asking Tuchel to stay

Ajax have been turned down by Potter

All the in vogue managers have decided to stay put for now.

The options for replacements aren't great
And not that I can see any good managers being available for the next 2-3 years. Let the Motta's and the McKenna's get their apprenticeship at other clubs while we reap of the fruits of Ten Hag's labor before he leaves for greener pastures of Barcelona or Bayern.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It was better than what we've seen for most of the season last night but Newcastle were still the better side. The bar has just got that low.

Should definitely be replaced but I think he'll stay.

Von Mistelroum

Yeah he really seems to be staying. Regardless of the one win, we have looked completely rudderless all season and have set new, unwanted records, so keeping this manager now really shows our lack of ambition. Having a slight chance of Europe is the new bar for a United manager.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's even more a joke of a manager with that Amad and Amrabat performances that have been available most of the season and never played, can't believe how lucky he is to even be considered for next season. Still think he'll be axed.