Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager | Staying

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That’s an unfair misrepresentation of my position.

To be clear this season hasn’t been good. Ten Hag absolutely could be sacked and if he was I’d back the next appointment made by INEOS. If he is sacked then he can’t complain.

Im just not entirely sure it’s the best thing for us to do given the available candidates to take over and also the severe injury levels and instability he’s dealt with.

We won’t be in a relegation scrap but there are limits as to what I’d put up with and mine have been pushed an awful lot this season but just not quite over the edge.
Which is fair enough fella. I’m just curious what is your red line / edge, that pushes you into the “out side?

Acquire Me

I think he will stay and I am happy about that.

I am happy for a lot of people in here as well. Some patience will do you good.

ForeverRed1

In this half alone Amad has shown 20 times more usefulness than the fidget spinner from Brazil.
It only took 50 games for Eric Ten Genius to finally give him some sort of chance...
No, he has had injury problems galore so he’s managing him properly. When he sees what he likes from amad believe me he will be playing, which is clearly happening now.

OldSchoolManc

Although it was one of the better United performances, we still conceded 21 shots and we were lucky not to concede more. Penalty too from Amrabat lunge.
Far too open as a unit, as we have seen all season and this still hasn’t really been addressed. Could easily lose to Brighton and get battered by City with the way he sets us up.

golden_blunder

Staff
No, he has had injury problems galore so he’s managing him properly. When he sees what he likes from amad believe me he will be playing, which is clearly happening now.
Yes correct. We all love Amad but unfortunately to date he has been quite injury prone. The solution is to bring in Olise and they can have half a season each :)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Did they get beaten 19 times, have a negative goal difference and all kinds of records broken in a negative way?
That's not a bad question. In 19-20 he arrived midseason they finished 8th with 56 points, 14w-14d-10l and a +8 goal difference. In 20-21 they also finished 8th with 62 points, 18w-8d-12l and +16, plus they went to the EL semi finals. Overral their results improved, so the comparison isn't even that flattering for ETH.

That's only league performances.

stevoc

Yeah he really seems to be staying. Regardless of the one win, we have looked completely rudderless all season and have set new, unwanted records, so keeping this manager now really shows our lack of ambition. Having a slight chance of Europe is the new bar for a United manager.
What makes you say that?

He may well stay I'm just a bit puzzled why a lot of people suddenly think he might be staying.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Which is fair enough fella. I’m just curious what is your red line / edge, that pushes you into the “out side?
Honestly it’s one of those I think I’ll just know it when I feel it. If we don’t see a good improvement next season by early October I think I’ll have made my mind up.

The closest I got was about 2/3 weeks ago.

CallyRed

Did they get beaten 19 times, have a negative goal difference and all kinds of records broken in a negative way?
I think this is the crux of it. I can handle losing, maybe 19 times is pushing it, but it is the performances and the ease in which teams have found playing us which has frustrated me the most.

Injuries I get hasn't helped, but adapt the team to the injuries. Make the team hard to beat atleast, don't make things easy.

I like Erik, I think he is a good coach but he has made too many mistakes this season. This summer is massive and If he does stay, his preseason will be scrutinised more ever.

LARulz

Arteta finished 8th twice, Arsenal accepted that.

Klopp finished 8th, Liverpool accepted that.

Did they make a mistake?
You could still see what they were trying to do

I cannot see what the hell Ten Hag wants us to play like

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They also didn't have the same level of concentrated injuries. Ten Hag has made his mistakes there's no getting away from that - but it's not without context.

Chumpsbechumps

They also didn't have the same level of concentrated injuries. Ten Hag has made his mistakes there's no getting away from that - but it's not without context.
I honestly don’t know who are WUM or rival fans in here but I’m ok with ETH staying if next season is just rebuild and he’s ok with it.

There is also a part of me excited at the thought of him maybe turning things around. I’m not saying he will defo do it, but who doesn’t love a phoenix from the flames situation?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I honestly don’t know who are WUM or rival fans in here but I’m ok with ETH staying if next season is just rebuild and he’s ok with it.

There is also a part of me excited at the thought of him maybe turning things around. I’m not saying he will defo do it, but who doesn’t love a phoenix from the flames situation?
I doubt there are many wind ups, just a few posters that want Ten Hag out who fall to extreme lows in their reasoning and act like conversational terrorists.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So 8th is now acceptable? ….what the hell :lol:
Not sure you understood his point. 8th was not acceptable, but they were able to take it on the chin with the view that a temporary blip.

golden_blunder

Staff
As I’m sure they arteta had his context too in those years being used as some kind of comparison

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So 8th is now acceptable? ….what the hell :lol:
Come on. You know he means they got the patience and went on to bigger and better things. I am torn about what I think. I keep changing my mind about do I want to see how he does with other people getting the players for him and if we actually do revamp the medical side. Maybe the players have said they themselves are not happy with certain things and that it doesn't actually include the manager. It isn't the first time our medical department has been criticised by players. Do we show patience or just go for a quick fix.

iato89

Not sure you understood his point. 8th was not acceptable, but they were able to take it on the chin with the view that a temporary blip.
Thing is they never had their teams play as bas as us! Apart from injuries anyone can see that we are not properly setup and when he reverts away from his philosphy that we look slightly decent like yesterday. Those curious to see how he will do next year are ready to abolish another season !! The argument that there are no suitable canditates is simple naive. Keeping im will dent INEOS and will make them look foolish when things go shit again!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As I’m sure they arteta had his context too in those years being used as some kind of comparison
Yeah his context was that he was learning on the job and that they made mistakes with some transfers early on, plus he needed to get rid of some big egos. The last 2 pieces are comparable to Ten Hag's situation. He comes in with more experience but walks into a bigger mess structurally and a bigger expectation to fix quickly in real time.

Again, not saying he hasnt made some big mistakes (for me the biggest being in terms on the system that he aligned with the heads at the time for style of play), but there's certainly context behind these broken records.

Chumpsbechumps

I doubt there are many wind ups, just a few posters that want Ten Hag out who fall to extreme lows in their reasoning and act like conversational terrorists.
I like that phrase, never heard it before.

What do you think of ETH position after his words to the crowd ? I liked it but not sure we can take anything from it. Was glad to see the fans react well to it. He’s had a raw deal this season , I would like to see him get a proper go with competent adults helping him

Wilt

Obviously know what he’s trying to say .…it just seems so fecking stupid :lol:

Personally couldn’t give a toss what Arsenal or Liverpool fans accept ….8th at Manchester United is totally unacceptable.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yeah his context was that he was learning on the job and that they made mistakes with some transfers early on, plus he needed to get rid of some big egos. The last 2 pieces are comparable to Ten Hag's situation. He comes in with more experience but walks into a bigger mess structurally and a bigger expectation to fix quickly in real time.

Again, not saying he hasnt made some big mistakes (for me the biggest being in terms on the system that he aligned with the heads at the time for style of play), but there's certainly context behind these broken records.
Not saying that there hasn’t been done context but 19 defeats, unbelievably poor CL performance in the ‘easiest’ group etc, they weigh heavily

if he is kept then I will back him but if he is kept he will have been very lucky. Bigger coaches have been moved on for less

Chumpsbechumps

There's just not enough strong indication he'll be going for me.
I can’t tell one way or another.

I feel like he’s taken a “f*ck it” approach since March. I’d love to think it was some sort of SJR/INEOs “you play how you want to play regardless of players available” instruction but I just don’t know.

Regardless, I’d like to think INEOs have learned a lot during that period. Sometimes doing nothing so you can survey the car crash teaches you more then coming in and making huge changes.

Chumpsbechumps

Personally couldn’t give a toss what Arsenal or Liverpool fans accept ….8th at Manchester United is totally unacceptable.
Do you think the same position is acceptable at Chelsea who spent 3 times us since ETH took over ?

I haven’t seen anybody say 8th is acceptable. Unless You presume “giving ETH more time under INEOs” is “8th is ok”, which is bollox.

Anybody or most people who think it wouldn’t be so bad to keep on ETH are not ok with this season, we feel it’s been uniquely challenging beyond the manager and the 3 year plan for INEOs may make keeping ETH worthwhile. If he is let go nobody will complain.

You don’t need to agree with the views. But don’t pretend having a different perspective to you is “accepting 8th as ok”, I’m sick of some of you acting as though you are all about the standards. I expect United to be challanging for leagues and CLs in 2-3 years , I just don’t think hiring/firing managers is the priority to get us there.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I can’t tell one way or another.

I feel like he’s taken a “f*ck it” approach since March. I’d love to think it was some sort of SJR/INEOs “you play how you want to play regardless of players available” instruction but I just don’t know.

Regardless, I’d like to think INEOs have learned a lot during that period. Sometimes doing nothing so you can survey the car crash teaches you more then coming in and making huge changes.
I just think the replacement were going for would be clear by now.

The two biggest reasons for him staying are stability (the Euros help him here) and cost and that will swing it for him, just.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I like that phrase, never heard it before.

What do you think of ETH position after his words to the crowd ? I liked it but not sure we can take anything from it. Was glad to see the fans react well to it. He’s had a raw deal this season , I would like to see him get a proper go with competent adults helping him
I will always come across biased because even if I give the slightest bit of context (like questioning why people think Mount was only a Ten Hag pursuit and not wanted by anyone else at the club), there will be some familiar posters coming out calling me a c*ultist, a sympathiser etc :lol:

That being said, one thing I do like is that he's always fighting and always going out swinging whilst broadly defending his players. He's not thrown anyone under the bus unless they've taken a royal pisstake. But you consider the Rashford clubbing incident, the general shite performances, the media suggesting players are feigning injury and hide in games - he has come out constantly and defended them. He's also said some bat shit crazy things in pressers that I disagree with, but he's clearly a fighter and saying everything that should keep the players on his side. He's not fighting in a mourinho/conte destructive way, mugging off the structure, the players and the fans.

I wasn't surprised he was capable of giving a good message to the fans, because he genuinely wants to fight for everything and has no problem accepting the season isn't good enough for his own standards in the process. I thought he came across honest and likeable, and I think its clear the stadium thought the same.

It's clear you did not get what he was trying to say given the bold bit. He's not saying 8th is acceptable, he agrees it's terrible. But he is saying it was terrible by the same standards of say, Liverpool and Arsenal who have as much ambition as we do, who were in a better place than us, and they knew it was a temporary blip.

Not saying that there hasn’t been done context but 19 defeats, unbelievably poor CL performance in the ‘easiest’ group etc, they weigh heavily

if he is kept then I will back him but if he is kept he will have been very lucky. Bigger coaches have been moved on for less
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. My view is that he's made some massive errors but I want to see how he fares given a chance to fix them going into next season. If Tuchel is staying at Bayern I think I'm cemented in my view further because I don't really think McKenna is ready and I genuinely think I'd be depressed with Southgate. Xavi/Enrique/Tuchel were my picks becuase they've won something big in their own leagues. 2 of them have CLs too.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I just think the replacement were going for would be clear by now.

The two biggest reasons for him staying are stability (the Euros help him here) and cost and that will swing it for him, just.
We haven't been stable under him during his entire tenure though?

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Yes correct. We all love Amad but unfortunately to date he has been quite injury prone. The solution is to bring in Olise and they can have half a season each :)
He got clattered in pre season which was a serious one and kept him out til November, and missed one game for being sick on his return but I don't think theres anything to say he's injury prone is there? Seemed to manage a very tough championship ok too

FortunaUtd

Arteta finished 8th twice, Arsenal accepted that.

Klopp finished 8th, Liverpool accepted that.

Did they make a mistake?
The Klopp comparison is just completely silly as has been demonstrated a hundred times in this thread.
Klopp finished 8th after taking over a 10th placed team in midseason, and then had continuous improvement in the league table until winning the title. So, let's not bring this up again, yeah?

Arteta is the relevant comparison. If Arsenal had listened to my opinion, the would have sacked him in December 2020 as I was sure no wannabe top club should tolerate that level of results.. :D

redcucumber

Do you think the same position is acceptable at Chelsea who spent 3 times us since ETH took over ?

I haven’t seen anybody say 8th is acceptable. Unless You presume “giving ETH more time under INEOs” is “8th is ok”, which is bollox.

Anybody or most people who think it wouldn’t be so bad to keep on ETH are not ok with this season, we feel it’s been uniquely challenging beyond the manager and the 3 year plan for INEOs may make keeping ETH worthwhile. If he is let go nobody will complain.

You don’t need to agree with the views. But don’t pretend having a different perspective to you is “accepting 8th as ok”, I’m sick of some of you acting as though you are all about the standards. I expect United to be challanging for leagues and CLs in 2-3 years , I just don’t think hiring/firing managers is the priority to get us there.
Hiring and firing managers is absolutely central to us competing for titles. Would we have been competing if we'd have kept Moyes, van Gaal, Mourinho, or Ole on? You cant just not sack people if practically all of the indicators are telling you do so. Injuries have been bad (as they have been for lots of teams), but unfortunately for the money spent and the time he's been here and given just how bad performances and results have been, it's not enough of an excuse to justify the risk of giving him another season.

Can we afford another season like the one we just had? As badly as their development could be affected (namely Mainoo and Garnacho), I'd worry more that they'd be like feck this - get me out. There's nothing to build on so it makes sense to make a change now.

Wilt

Come on. You know he means they got the patience and went on to bigger and better things. I am torn about what I think. I keep changing my mind about do I want to see how he does with other people getting the players for him and if we actually do revamp the medical side. Maybe the players have said they themselves are not happy with certain things and that it doesn't actually include the manager. It isn't the first time our medical department has been criticised by players. Do we show patience or just go for a quick fix.
Supported ETH up until Utd finished bottom of their CL Group.

My patience has now run out and made worse by the bullshit excuses from the manager. I’ve no idea what his plan is and tbh I don’t care anymore. This is Manchester Utd not West Ham or Brighton.

Found his little (don’t sack me) speech aimed at the directors, cringeworthy.

OsloRed

That was the first time I'd use the word rousing about anything ten Hag has said. I liked it, showed some fight and charisma.