Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DSG

Nah maybe in some cases your right, but I don't think that applies to everyone and certainly doesn't apply to me. I know we have some very good players; in fact, I think many of our players (cough, Onana, Dalot, Maguire) are underrated. Having said that, we can't get away from the fact that this is still a Frankenstein squad filled with players either lacking the individual ability or the tactical ability to play how we want to. Ten Hag has without doubt also exposed his weaknesses this season, the difference between you and me is I can still see positives where you cannot. To my mind that doesn't make either of us right or wrong because nobody knows. I am just getting fed up with posters on here pigeon-holing any fan into a box who dares to suggest that maybe retaining Ten Hag is a better option than rolling the dice on a less-than-stellar option. I've said in other posts there are other managers I'd consider because Ten Hag isn't an infallible god, but there are not many that tick as many boxes, and I can conclusively say I will do a better job for us as a club in the long term.
Would you have listed Oliver Glasner as a potential manager that ticks the boxes? He has done more with that Palace side in 8 weeks than Ten Hag has done in two years. Completely outcoached Ten Hag in the 4-0 loss.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This season? Can you list 5 performances that were worthy of Manchester United?
You're missing the point, this season has been horrendous but the set of cards had been a truly devastating set of circumstances. I'm looking at games like Barcelona last season, Bayern at the start of this season, Liverpool this season amongst others. The highs have been high, but the lows have been shockingly low. The biggest issue is the inconsistency and the question is then how much of that inconsistency is down to the tactics or some of the players who are just not good enough to maintain it.

TrustInJanuzaj

Would you have listed Oliver Glasner as a potential manager that ticks the boxes? He has done more with that Palace side in 8 weeks than Ten Hag has done in two years. Completely outcoached Ten Hag in the 4-0 loss.
No because he doesn't tick all the boxes...Hes doing a good job so far and lets see if he can trend upwards as maybe he's one for the future. Did he outcoach us or did we just have a shockingly poor side out because id have swapped half of our team with theirs on the day.

ForeverRed1

He got clattered in pre season which was a serious one and kept him out til November, and missed one game for being sick on his return but I don't think theres anything to say he's injury prone is there? Seemed to manage a very tough championship ok too
The coaches and United staff will know better than we do why he hasn’t been playing week in week out. He’s taking his chances now though and I got a feeling next season will be a proper breakthrough season at United

TsuWave

Basically don't be Mourinho and a massive cnut. Man Utd are bigger than any manager and managers should know their place in that.

I think he's clearly attempted to play a more pro-active style of play. It's fallen to pieces due to the injuries and circumstances around our season as well as some tactical naivety from Ten Hag. I think he was absolutely bang on in his interview with Neville though. You can either keep playing pragmatic counter-attacking football and get some short term results but never really build a truly great team. Or you can rip off the bandaid and commit to a vision even if it means using young players who are there for their potential above their current abilities, and even if it will badly expose those that arent suited. Over time, you replace those who are ill-suited, and you can make significant strides forward.
Respecting the heritage of the club as a tick box is a bit weird, as I would expect anyone to be respectful of their employers - and going based on what you've elaborated on - Ten Hag has already made similar criticisms of past good United team's, maybe not as abrasive as Mourinho but the sentiment was similar.

Putting aside what Ten Hag has said in his interview with Neville, I struggle to think how anyone could classify our football as proactive. It doesn't seem as such with the eye test, and I'd hazard the guess that most metrics would suggest the same.

McTerminator

Less amusing than pragmatic. Haven't really read all of it because it started as weak. I mean, you finished with a banger here:

Takes balls to be as confident as you are claiming that if you are happy others should be too.

Lets not argue any further. If you are happy with the manager, that is great. If others aren't happy, it is the exact same amount of great. Lets see what happens in the summer. Both scenarios are imaginable I guess - if we let him go, Ineos challenge increases by quite a bit because they then have to deliver a good alternative on top of all the other stuff we want them to fix.
Can agree with that and more suggesting we should all be happy we can trust the club hierarchy to make the right decision. Exclusively because they are untested so may as well start with optimism!

GreatDane

No because he doesn't tick all the boxes...Hes doing a good job so far and lets see if he can trend upwards as maybe he's one for the future. Did he outcoach us or did we just have a shockingly poor side out because id have swapped half of our team with theirs on the day.
What boxes does ETH tick?

DSG

You’re right. Ten Hag was unlucky. Clearly, we were well prepared. It was unlucky that he gambled that Palace would sit back instead of press us high. Good thing he had a plan B. Oh, no, wait. He didn’t.

stevoc

If you want the big fish, you need to bait the hook effectively.... currently we don't have a rod, never mind a hook!;)
I mean which manager could United realistically not attract beyond the 5-6 obvious ones for obvious reasons?

Maybe not Alonso either because of his Liverpool past.

stevoc

Basically don't be Mourinho and a massive cnut. Man Utd are bigger than any manager and managers should know their place in that.

I think he's clearly attempted to play a more pro-active style of play. It's fallen to pieces due to the injuries and circumstances around our season as well as some tactical naivety from Ten Hag. I think he was absolutely bang on in his interview with Neville though. You can either keep playing pragmatic counter-attacking football and get some short term results but never really build a truly great team. Or you can rip off the bandaid and commit to a vision even if it means using young players who are there for their potential above their current abilities, and even if it will badly expose those that arent suited. Over time, you replace those who are ill-suited, and you can make significant strides forward.
But what has continuing with a system that clearly didn't work, for an entire season actually achieved?

Because I don't buy the line that he couldn't coach a plan B in the short term. He's just highlighting a failure in his own coaching abilities.

mu4c_20le

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Southgate turns us down and stays with England.

Ten Hag for life

Revan

Assumptionman
You're missing the point, this season has been horrendous but the set of cards had been a truly devastating set of circumstances. I'm looking at games like Barcelona last season, Bayern at the start of this season, Liverpool this season amongst others. The highs have been high, but the lows have been shockingly low. The biggest issue is the inconsistency and the question is then how much of that inconsistency is down to the tactics or some of the players who are just not good enough to maintain it.
Come on now, there was nothing good about that game. Bayern was comfortably winning 3-1 until the end of the match, then we scored, then they quickly scored, and then we made it 4-3 in the last second of the game. They had 19 shots in that match, 60% possession and were essentially in second gear for most of the match.

It was an entertaining match, but not that good performance. And Bayern themselves have been nothing special this season, have lots of weaknesses.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Losing to an average Bayern team on our way to crashing out in the group stage is a 'high'?!

DSG

Not really missing your point. You have chosen to absolve Ten Hag of responsibility for this season. I have not.

when you can’t find 5 matches in this season where we did perform well, I would say that is a coaching issue, not a circumstances issue. We’ve had fully fit squads this season and still played like dog shit.

when you are selecting only four matches across two seasons and 110 matches where we’ve played well, doesn’t that prove my point? It’s not the losses to City that concern me. We are miles away from them. It’s the 0-3 to Bournemouth at home with a mostly fit side, the 2-1 loss to Nottingham, the 2-1 loss to Fulham with a mostly fit side.

Rista

Careful with his words
Nice dodge of the question, ouch.

Season in Review

The Ten Hag in club need to be put in their place. Let’s review the standout results and performances of this season, then tell me under what universe Ten Hag has done a good job preparing this team for match day:

1-3 loss Brighton at home
0-1 loss Crystal Palace at home
2-3 loss Galatassary at home
0-3 Man City at home. Expected, but still dominated
0-3 Newcastle Carabao cup loss at home
3-4 Copenhagen loss on the road
3-3 Galatasary draw on the road.
0-3 Bournemouth loss at home. Wow. A low point for sure.
1-2 Nottingham Forest loss on the road.
4-2 Newport County win. Gave up two goal lead to 4th tier side but came back.
1-2 Fulham. Another dreadful performance and home loss.
1-1 Brentford. Brentford had 31 shot attempts to our 11. Unbelievably poor performance.
2-2 Bournemouth. Gave up another 20 shots. We had 8.
3-4 Chelsea loss. Went down 0-2 with crap play, clawed our way back to lead 3-2 only to allow 2 injury time goals.
3-3 Coventry, we advance on penalties. Cruising at 3-0, 70min mark on was diabolical. Looked to have conceded the winning goal but goal chalked off by being offside by a gnat’s pubic hair.
1-1 Burnley. Another poor performance at home.
0-4 Crystal Palace. Thoroughly out coached and out played on the road. feck me, Ten hag did nothing right. We looked like we were playing together for the first time. Playing Eriksen as the sole DM with a CB pairing of Casemiro and a hobbled Johnny Evans. Colossally stupid, even for Ten Hag.

Were there 5 matches this season where we played well? Everton, Villa x1, Newcastle this past week. I’m struggling.

The guy has got to be sacked.
When you put it like that, it does look unbelievably bad. This Chelsea side finishing above us and scoring 20 more goals is just crazy. We have to acknowledge the injuries, alright. But for me still not enough is made just how bad we've been for the entire season. Nobody will convince me Ten Hag could not have set up the team any better. Plus, we didn't have that many injuries in attacking positions.

Davìd Moyéz

Sorry if this has already been said but one thing that has confused me over the last few weeks is why Casemiro has been emergency centre back instead of McTominay. Scott has played there for his country and his attributes are better suited to it.

peridigm

Sorry if this has already been said but one thing that has confused me over the last few weeks is why Casemiro has been emergency centre back instead of McTominay. Scott has played there for his country and his attributes are better suited to it.
We don't score many goals. Scott is a goal threat. More so than Casemiro.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Very thoughtful response you’ve got there. Atleast you didn’t dispute the facts.
When you can't even make a fair judgement and fall prey to your own bias, no thoughtful response could actually grab your attention.

Apparently winning a C tier European trophy is better achievement than finishing 3rd over a span of 38 games or even winning the league for 4 seasons where consistency is the key factor. According to you Roberto Di Matteo must be comparable to Arteta, Wenger or other good mangers since he won the UCL.

"Atleast you didn’t dispute the facts" :lol:

BorisManUtd

We've scored only 55 PL goals this season. McTominay scored 7 of those (12%). Granted 4 of those 7 came in 2 games but he's been a goal threat. Scored the openers vs Liverpool and Coventry in the Fa Cup as well.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think it's because he is shit on the ball and we try to play it out from the back. He'd be a liability in possession - there is no hiding place there for him. I don't know how Scotland play, but maybe it works for them. I think they played a back three, do they not?

stevoc

Nice dodge of the question, ouch.
And this is the quote from Ratcliffe that people always point to as an indication that he'll probably keep Ten Hag on.

When you see the quote along with the question and Jim's body language, it's hardly a vote of confidence.

stevoc

We don't score many goals. Scott is a goal threat. More so than Casemiro.
Is he though?

Last 2 seasons.

McTominay 13 goals from 79 games.

Casemiro 12 goals from 81 games.

Casemiro has been injured and played a lot less game this year, so this year yeah but in general I wouldn't say he is.

stevoc

When you can't even make a fair judgement and fall prey to your own bias, no thoughtful response could actually grab your attention.

Apparently winning a C tier European trophy is better achievement than finishing 3rd over a span of 38 games or even winning the league for 4 seasons where consistency is the key factor. According to you Roberto Di Matteo must be comparable to Arteta, Wenger or other good mangers since he won the UCL.

"Atleast you didn’t dispute the facts" :lol:
Who won 4 league titles?

spwd

I completely disagree with that. This United job is easily the hardest job in world football currently. The quality of the team is so far below the fans' expectations.
It's not as bad as its shown this year because of Erik's suicidal tactics, if city were coached by Erik with these tactics they'd be shite too. I agree it's not as good as it should be but that's because half the team are his choices.
If he gets a 3rd season the reason we won't be challenging is because he's made such a catastrophic mess this year including buying lots of shite.

TrustInJanuzaj

Not really missing your point. You have chosen to absolve Ten Hag of responsibility for this season. I have not.

when you can’t find 5 matches in this season where we did perform well, I would say that is a coaching issue, not a circumstances issue. We’ve had fully fit squads this season and still played like dog shit.

when you are selecting only four matches across two seasons and 110 matches where we’ve played well, doesn’t that prove my point? It’s not the losses to City that concern me. We are miles away from them. It’s the 0-3 to Bournemouth at home with a mostly fit side, the 2-1 loss to Nottingham, the 2-1 loss to Fulham with a mostly fit side.
Have to say I’d have a hell of a lot more fun talking with you if you stopped posting things that people aren’t saying. I haven’t absolved him of all blame at all. What’s the point in putting in the effort to post if you aren’t gonna bother to read it?

We have had a fully fit squad once this season and it was easily our best performance of the season against West Ham where we won comfortably. Inevitably then Martinez drops injured agaisnt and the cycle repeats.

TrustInJanuzaj

But what has continuing with a system that clearly didn't work, for an entire season actually achieved?

Because I don't buy the line that he couldn't coach a plan B in the short term. He's just highlighting a failure in his own coaching abilities.
What do we learn from that though. If you don’t commit to the style how do you know who can play it?

TrustInJanuzaj

It's not as bad as its shown this year because of Erik's suicidal tactics, if city were coached by Erik with these tactics they'd be shite too. I agree it's not as good as it should be but that's because half the team are his choices.
If he gets a 3rd season the reason we won't be challenging is because he's made such a catastrophic mess this year including buying lots of shite.
The squad is definitely that bad after all the injuries. Our first 11 would be competitive with most, outside of that it’s in a shocking state, far worse than some make out.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Have to say I’d have a hell of a lot more fun talking with you if you stopped posting things that people aren’t saying. I haven’t absolved him of all blame at all. What’s the point in putting in the effort to post if you aren’t gonna bother to read it?

We have had a fully fit squad once this season and it was easily our best performance of the season against West Ham where we won comfortably. Inevitably then Martinez drops injured agaisnt and the cycle repeats.
West Ham missed multiple chances that game and had 22 shots to our 12. You confuse final scoreline with good performance.

TrustInJanuzaj

West Ham missed multiple chances that game and had 22 shots to our 12. You confuse final scoreline with good performance.
The shots alone don’t exactly tell the full story. They didn’t have many clear cut chances in that game, escapologist consisted to our normal standards this year.

Alpha 1

I think it's because he is shit on the ball and we try to play it out from the back. He'd be a liability in possession - there is no hiding place there for him. I don't know how Scotland play, but maybe it works for them. I think they played a back three, do they not?
Tbf Casemiro is also quite terrible on the ball and Hag keeps playing him there. He is so stubborn.
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Southgate turns us down and stays with England.

Ten Hag for life
Southgate can stay south. He is an absolute NO for me regardless of how poor Hag has been.

peridigm

Is he though?

Last 2 seasons.

McTominay 13 goals from 79 games.

Casemiro 12 goals from 81 games.

Casemiro has been injured and played a lot less game this year, so this year yeah but in general I wouldn't say he is.
We're talking about Scott's form this season and why he most likely been playing in an attacking role vs as a defender the past few games.

Alpha 1

Injuries are part of the game. It is the manager's job to adapt his tactics to the circumstances. We had a mostly full first team early in the season yet were still quite terrible.

How we play has nothing to do with Martinez; he is defender not a midfielder. The biggest weaknesses we have are:

1. Our midfield us set up in such a way that we are very very easy to play through. Opponents often get far more shots on our goal than we do on theirs. Even relegation fodder like Burnley created several very good opportunities at Old Trafford. We looked their equals in that game.

2. We simply can't keep possession and hence control of the game. Our midfielders give the ball away regularly, treating it like a hot potato.

This is true even when all our first choice midfielders are available. This has ALOT to do with the manager.

The other thing Ten Hag is absolutely to be blamed for are the purchases. All of them with the exception of Martinez have actually worsened us. A good manager knows exactly how he wants his team to play, provides clear instructions and buys the right players for his system; we on the other hand have been chaotic in our play and as stated, the purchases have been largely poor.

GreatDane

McPelé in d?
Crazy talk.

NLunited

Moyes has won a European trophy and Ten Hag hasn’t. In fact we were thrashed by Sevilla, although admittedly in the Europa league. I don’t think the comparison between Moyes and Ten Hag is as ridiculous as it sounds, atleast on the basis of what’s been achieved anyway. Dutch league titles have little meaning, considering how Frank De Boer got found out in the Premier League.
We trashed Sevilla, they got insanely lucky with deflected goals and Maguire/De Gea howlers. Freak result.

Beating Fiorentina is the equivalent of beating Betis.

We knocked out Barcelona.

Yeah, I think it is a ridiculous comparison. Mohyes is a conservative boring manager.

NLunited

Good manager, but 8 games is a small sample size don‘t you think?

Look at Postecoglou; he is starting to throw his players under the bus.