Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DutchCruijff

Pressing is key to him yet he picks Fernandes, McTominay, Sancho and Rashford?

Not sure how one is supposed to have any sympathy for his set up and selection when he adopts such a system in conflict with such players who don't know how to press and can't press.

Robbie Boy

Hopefully, but we might just be cursed.

I'd try and uproot the squad even more next summer if possible. I'd be very tempted to sell off players like Bruno and Sancho.

We've got a lot of work to do. Our last 2 managers wasted far too much money.
We've been grossly mismanaged for years, and crazily we still have players from the fecking Fergie era: DDG/Jones. The squad is honestly a collection of random individuals that have generally been acquired by negative managers in Ole/Jose/LvG.

The whole Ole experiment was an absolute fecking shit-show, and despite the much lauded 2nd place finish, the club didn't move forward whatsoever in the last 3.5 years. After sacking Jose, we should have brought in a modern, progressive manager and sorted out the structures of the club; but in classic post-Fergie style, we basically wasted 3.5 years, falling further behind our rivals. This is going to take a long time to fix, and it's depressing af!

Last edited:

RedOrange

this isn’t Sunday league, this is the best league on the planet playing against the best team in the world (arguably). Experiments are okay but we were never going to beat city with that midfield. We can’t afford to fall too far behind the top 4 but if we keep experimenting as you suggest, we will. No CL next season will be a disaster.
There isn't a selection of midfielders in the squad that can beat City. The post match thread and this one are just arguments about how ETH should have set the team up to lose in a less embarassing fashion. We saw some decent play through City's press (which they didn't let up on, btw) in the second half and got 3 goals so at least there's something to build on. IMO that's better than sitting back the whole match hanging on to a 2-0 loss by our fingernails while creating absolutely nothing.

We beat Liverpool at home after getting stomped twice by them last season, we beat Arsenal away, making us the only team they've dropped points against so far. 2 of 3 is a good record against too clubs.

Skills

Snitch
If he isn't going to be backed properly, then he's likely to fail.

I still think some - not all - of our underperformimg players will settle in his system, and hopefully he can bring through one or two from the youth team.
Would you be up for taking out a Barcelona style loan, selling off our future income to back ETH next summer?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Not sure how one is supposed to have any sympathy for his set up and selection when he adopts such a system in conflict with such players who don't know how to press and can't press.
Is this Sancho who played for that high pressing Dortmund team?
Or Bruno who is quite often the only player to initiate a press?

Pretty sure all the players who you mentioned there can press and know how to press.
So not really sure what you are getting at here?!

DutchCruijff

Is this Sancho who played for that high pressing Dortmund team?
Or Bruno who is quite often the only player to initiate a press?

Pretty sure all the players who you mentioned there can press and know how to press.
So not really sure what you are getting at here?!
Is this Sancho who hasn't shown a single instance of competent pressing during his entire PL career?

Is this Fernandes who "initiates a press" only to leave acres of space behind?

So, no, Fernandes doesn't know how to press and Sancho can't press due to his lack of intensity.

Rangnick and Ten Hag have been here for 10+ months and WE STILL don't how know to press.

Skills

Snitch
What?

He should be backed sufficiently, nothing more, nothing less.
What is that then? We have spent over £200m this summer, so how much more do we need to back him (in terms of £££) and where is that money coming from?

Robbie Boy

What is that then? We have spent over £200m this summer, so how much more do we need to back him (in terms of £££) and where is that money coming from?
Well, I imagine we'll sell players he doesn't want after evaluating them over a full season, and we'll bring some in. Our net spend will probably be in the 100m region, or thereabouts.

Idxomer

Hopefully, but we might just be cursed.

I'd try and uproot the squad even more next summer if possible. I'd be very tempted to sell off players like Bruno and Sancho.

We've got a lot of work to do. Our last 2 managers wasted far too much money.
Getting rid of dysfunctional players is more important than buying new ones.

Bruno, Rashford, McTominay, De Gea and Maguire all proved to be players with such obvious flaws for any team that wants to play progressive football. We started this season with all of them still having crucial roles in the team. I don't think we have anyone at the club with the bottle to take the necessary steps to evolve the team and get rid of those kinds of players.

Champ

Is this Sancho who hasn't shown a single instance of competent pressing during his entire PL career?

Is this Fernandes who "initiates a press" only to leave acres of space behind?

So, no, Fernandes doesn't know how to press and Sancho can't press due to his lack of intensity.

Rangnick and Ten Hag have been here for 10+ months and WE STILL don't how know to press.
:lol: :lol:

Right you are!

Your chain of thought is horrendously muddled.

The players can press, maybe it's the set up which doesn't allow them too?

Certainly against Liverpool and Arsenal the intensity and press was there as soon as they entered the United half, yesterday for whatever reason it wasn't.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I don’t even think it’s money he needs to be backed with. He needs the time to coach these players. We’ve got a quality team now. A decent manager… he just needs time to coach them… once he’s been with the same group of players for a season or 2 then we’ll see the massive difference. Guardiola has been with his team for years and it showed with the way they play together. It’s all about team cohesion and you don’t get that after a few months with a new team and new manager. They need time to become comfortable with each other and the ideas the manager wants.

NZT-One

I didn't say you shouldn't discuss or talk about what happened in the game.

And the only thing that needed adjusting was for the selected first 11 players to show some aggression at the start of the match and defend proactively, which allowed City to flood the right half and wide space. Ten Hag alluded to that in his post match interview aswell.

I agree. That would have been wonderful but our players weren't able to do it. All I and quite a few others are saying is, why didn't we change formation to make it a little easier for us to do so? As you quoted, if he wanted front foot defending and brave decisions, why didn't he set us up more compact, to have a more solid base to do that from? I am sure you agree with me saying that those things don't have to be mutually exclusive. And for all his reasoning behind self belief, I think, you could make a pretty strong case for this to be very very optimistic, players aren't just starting to belief they can do stuff against such an opponent out of nothing.

He maybe could have helped them just by playing more like against Liverpool or Arsenal.

I think we pressed well in parts of every game this season bar yesterday of course. As you said when we're not pressing as a team and some players are doing it half heartedly its a problem.
I don't think, we did at all. Granted, we try to do it and it looks a little better than under Ole or RR but there is nothing at all suggesting that we are really getting better at it. (this isn't even a dig at ETH, because for pressing, you need to up so many things in a team, fitness levels, intensity, organisation, this is a difficult thing to implement. But indicating we are doing it to a good degree seems wrong to me)

We've been stale for the most part. Leicester, Southampton & the EL were a snooze
My view as well.

It's is the same approach we have had in our games since Brentford. A slightly low defensive line with a high forward press but it has meant we have ceded control in midfield in all our games bar Leicester.

Our high press was nullified quite easily and City had tons of space to do their thing with having our FBs pinned just like Arsenal did. Unlike Arsenal they have better players to make the overloads count and make the decisive plays with their #8s who can find the pockets and quite frankly can just about pick any pass. Eriksen and McT quite simply overwhelmed and outnumbered.

If we have to play progressive we can't play with a deeper backline and cede that amount of territory to quality opposition. Otherwise commit to a low block and have numbers to cover in front of them. This half in approach is asking for too much
Fully agree.

In my opinion I think ETH has to completely scrap the way he is trying to set us up at the moment. It looks to me that we're a poor mix of a team that wants to defend deep, hit in quick transitions with plenty of long balls over the top, and work crossing opportunities as a primary focus for attacking.

Even after the Arsenal game, I said it was a good result but I was concerned at how we set up to let the opposition dominate the ball and look for fast transitions. In my opinion this isn't a long term plan that will get us anywhere at all. We sometimes have glimpses of decent football in possession but we need to be really drilled into becoming a team that can dominate the ball, provide good movement off the ball and options to every player for passes. How often do you watch our players look completely isolated, particularly our wingers? This isn't normal for a team that is looking to dominate possession. Therefore, I believe that some of our issues are tactical. The ease with which we are forced into turnovers is incredible, you won't see many other teams look so lost vs City as we do. This is because they are so well versed in keeping the ball against lesser teams, that when they play City and do get fleeting moments of possession, they use it much better through instinct and instruction. Yesterday it felt like we would just about survive a prolonged City attack, get the ball back, then give it straight back to them to come again. If anybody wonders why we are a team that inexplicably ships lots of goals, this is why. It's only exacerbated by our defending and crap midfield cover.

And here is why I think we get rolled over by teams like City, because it isn't instinctive for us to be in possession, provide options for each other or just play sensible passes when the game calls for it. Because we are constantly looking for long balls or to feed it to the winger and everybody start moving to the box for a cross. We play ridiculous passes straight to the opposition when we need to keep the ball. I could go on about the issues I see with our team, but the alarm bells have been ringing for me since the first game. And before anybody says otherwise, I was happy with us appointing ETH. I have no agenda but will call a spade a spade.

Another issue is our pressing. But that's another discussion and this post will turn into an essay. But let's say that the best teams are all good at either pressing or keeping possession (or both). We do neither. That is a problem.
Fully agree.

Look at some of the reactions since ten Hag took over. There's a section of this fanbase that clearly expected him to come in and have us dominating teams with no room for error. It's an unrealistic expectation. ten Hag inherited an absolute mess and he hasn't got all his pieces yet to play the football he wants to play. And I'm seeing posts saying that he's learned nothing from Brentford which is complete bollocks. Anyone with eyes can see that our approach to playing out from the back has changed since then. Also, yeah it isn't good conceding six goals to our local rivals but I honestly doubt we're the only top six side City will put six past this season. Their attack is scary good.

As I've said, ten Hag got it wrong yesterday but there's no reason to panic. He tried a different approach to Arsenal and Liverpool and it backfired. I'm sure he'll learn from it and we'll move forward.
Fair enough, I agree with the last sentence. I haven't seen the level of absurdness in terms of expectations though, that you are describing. On the contrary, I have seen people questioning the fan hood of others just because of criticism. I agree with you, unreasonable expectation are a bad thing. But there are more bad things going on.

There’s no patience in sport anymore. Society is changing for the worse. City, possible the best team in the world have us a mauling. It’s neither a surprise or a moment that needs knee jerk reactions
I'd say some of you are going slightly over the top. We received a 6 goal beating yesterday. People are talking about potential things that might have been able to prevent that to a certain degree. Feels like every reaction on this side of the road is knee jerk to you. But you know it isn't. Of course there were a few posts with strange opinions, but lets not act as if they were the majority and that the "patient and reasonable fans" are needed to bring in some balance. Seems like the overwhelming majority is behind ETH. He has every right to make mistakes. Just as we have to talk about it with all our inexistent knowledge about it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Right you are!

Certainly against Liverpool and Arsenal the intensity and press was there as soon as they entered the United half, yesterday for whatever reason it wasn't.
I bet he told them not to press against city as there just to good at passing and will manage to beat it which will leave space behind but that didn’t really matter because they had tons of space. We need the front 3 to press the defenders and keepers. When that happens mistakes happen and it can lead to you scoring a goal… Ederson had far to much time on the ball yesterday, that shouldn’t be allowed, we pressed Liverpool really well and they was making mistakes all over at the back.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
EtH has done brilliantly so far considering the hand he’s got dealt. I think we’re already in a much better position than just under 2 months ago and I think yesterday will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Champ

I bet he told them not to press against city as there just to good at passing and will manage to beat it which will leave space behind but that didn’t really matter because they had tons of space. We need the front 3 to press the defenders and keepers. When that happens mistakes happen and it can lead to you scoring a goal… Ederson had far to much time on the ball yesterday, that shouldn’t be allowed, we pressed Liverpool really well and they was making mistakes all over at the back.
I wasn't too sure what the thinking was yesterday, really couldn't work out the game plan at all.
Certainly not on the first half anyway. In the second we seemed more on the front foot, and when pressed the City defense and GK made errors. Just wasn't enough though.

Robbie Boy

I don’t even think it’s money he needs to be backed with. He needs the time to coach these players. We’ve got a quality team now. A decent manager… he just needs time to coach them… once he’s been with the same group of players for a season or 2 then we’ll see the massive difference. Guardiola has been with his team for years and it showed with the way they play together. It’s all about team cohesion and you don’t get that after a few months with a new team and new manager. They need time to become comfortable with each other and the ideas the manager wants.
It's a mix of both tbh. Klopp ultimately needed a lot of his own players before Liverpool really started to challenge. The ones from other ereas that he kept, were the ones that he could coach and who could adapt to his methods.

ETH won't have a shit tonne of cash to spend next summer, but I expect some outgoings and incomings. After a full season of evaluation, he'll have far more of an idea of who he can work with, and who he can't. Ultimately though, we are heavily relying on his coaching methods to improve this team, and hopefully he can bring through some youngsters too. It's all going to be a slow process, unfortunately. I can't say I've been overly enthused on what I've generally seen so far, but I expected as much, and he has my full support. Thankfully I missed yesterday's game, but it sounds like he deserves some critique, and that's fair enough.

DutchCruijff

Right you are!

What are you talking about?

Utter shit.

Can you show me one instance of them coordinating a press repeatedly on a level of City or Liverpool. One instance.

Oh, so Rangnick AND Ten Hag are holding them back now?

Arsenal dominated us with possession and they're issue was the cutting edge pass which was credit to our defence, not credit to any competent press whatsoever.

Ten Hag himself highlighted the press as an area of improvement.

romufc

There has been some belters on here since yesterday tbh.

Ultimately, I predicted a 5th to 7th place finish with some very erratic results. So far, that's exactly what we have seen. I still believe we'll finish around those places, maybe 4th place at best, if we can put a run together, but it's really going to be a very hit-and-miss season. It's clear that some of these players don't fit ETH's style of play, and he has to find a way to make do with what he has until next summer.

We have a lot of games this month, so hopefully going into November we start to really see a cohesive playing style. This is all going to require time and patience, unfortunately.
Yep, I predicted 5th-7th, which is what will be the case or worse.

The problem is that the noise coming out from the club, this summer was a one off and there will be way less money to spend next summer, will Ten Hag get his signings?

Real Name

I don't think, we did at all. Granted, we try to do it and it looks a little better than under Ole or RR but there is nothing at all suggesting that we are really getting better at it. (this isn't even a dig at ETH, because for pressing, you need to up so many things in a team, fitness levels, intensity, organisation, this is a difficult thing to implement. But indicating we are doing it to a good degree seems wrong to me)
I meant I'm seeing progression in that regard, not that we're doing it greatly. As you said yourself you need to get better at other things first. Baby steps and all that but some posters are claiming nothing is getting better and they're not seeing anything at all. That's just kneejerk reactions.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I wasn't too sure what the thinking was yesterday, really couldn't work out the game plan at all.
Certainly not on the first half anyway. In the second we seemed more on the front foot, and when pressed the City defense and GK made errors. Just wasn't enough though.
I think it was such a struggle to see a coherent game plan because we just played so poorly. It was a really strange first half from both team. Almost a testimonial in terms of passion and energy, but then we'd gone a month without a league game. Not a complete surprise. Many of these players still evidently carry scars from previous beatings.

Second half was a lot better, after what I suspect would have been a heated team talk, and I don't think it was solely down to City slowing down. We pressed a little better but, crucially, were far less unnecessarily direct in our passing and that allowed us to actually put together some periods of possession, and we scored 3 goals because of it.

Lessons will have been learned, more so than if we'd completely shut up shop, and we can recover from this very quickly. In the context of our season, and our progression as a whole, defeat at City isn't a problem and shouldn't lead to any ripping up of plans or rushes to judgement.

We've played four of the better sides in the league in our first seven games, and we are in the mix.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
433 is the way to go for tough teams.

I thought dutch managers all play 433?

Bruno and Eriksen can't play together.

Casimero and Fred should both play together and winning the ball should be a main playmaking situation. No need for Bruno to play hot potato with the ball. It's too easy to defend.

Sancho Martial Antony
Casimero Fred Eriksen
Shaw Martinez Varane Dalot

Champ

Utter shit.

Can you show me one instance of them coordinating a press repeatedly on a level of City or Liverpool. One instance.

Arsenal dominated us with possession and they're issue was the cutting edge pass which was credit to our defence, not credit to any competent press whatsoever.

:lol: wow, I suggest you calm down and take a deep breath!
You seem triggered!

I'm glad Ten Hag said that as it does need improvement.

I suggest you watch the Liverpool and Arsenal games back and see for yourself.

A press doesn't have to be high up the pitch, it a coordinated action anywhere on the pitch. Which is what United achieved during the Liverpool game, Bruno with 17 presses during the game, McT with 15 (yet apparently they cant press?),
Here's a snapshot of The Coaches Voice analysis after the Liverpool game: The hosts pressed Liverpool very well, mostly from a mid-block but with intermittent spells of higher pressing

As for the Arsenal game, our press wasn't great, but was there. That was mainly down to how good Arsenal were on the ball.
However, Ten Hag changed his mindset in that game and played mainly on the counter so a coordinated press wasn't as vital to proceedings,

So the players can do it, and have done it. Yesterday was bizarre in both application and desire.

Champ

I think it was such a struggle to see a coherent game plan because we just played so poorly. It was a really strange first half from both team. Almost a testimonial in terms of passion and energy, but then we'd gone a month without a league game. Not a complete surprise. Many of these players still evidently carry scars from previous beatings.

Second half was a lot better, after what I suspect would have been a heated team talk, and I don't think it was solely down to City slowing down. We pressed a little better but, crucially, were far less unnecessarily direct in our passing and that allowed us to actually put together some periods of possession, and we scored 3 goals because of it.

Lessons will have been learned, more so than if we'd completely shut up shop, and we can recover from this very quickly. In the context of our season, and our progression as a whole, defeat at City isn't a problem and shouldn't lead to any ripping up of plans or rushes to judgement.

We've played four of the better sides in the league in our first seven games, and we are in the mix.
You hit the nail on the head with the passing.

First half was killer ball attempt every time, which kept gifting the ball back to City,

Second half was a lot more patient and the ball recycling and distribution was a lot better.

Robbie Boy

Yep, I predicted 5th-7th, which is what will be the case or worse.

The problem is that the noise coming out from the club, this summer was a one off and there will be way less money to spend next summer, will Ten Hag get his signings?
I can't see any way he'll be backed as heavily next summer. The only reason he was backed so heavily is likely so the Glazers could take some heat off themselves.

I think he'll definitely sell at least 3 or 4 next summer, and probably bring in maybe another 3. I can't see our net spent being anything more than the ~100m mark. Hopefully his coaching and methods will start showing more as the season goes on, and a fair few of the current team can adapt.

flameinthesun

Utter shit.

Why would a united team on the back of a terrible season, that doesnt have a history of high pressing, under a manager who has been in the job for 4/5 months, played less than 10 competitive matches press like city or arsenal who both have managers who have been there for years and have had time to build squads and a mentality for high pressing/possession football?

I wonder why it could be that we don't press or keep possession as good as them.

Longshanks

The problem we have is as soon as we go behind we are in big trouble and it's been that way for years. There has always been a few comebacks here and there but generally speaking of we go behind especially against a half decent side we are in big trouble.

Now interestingly the outlier season somewhat was 20/21 we had lots of comeback victories in that season. But an interesting stat from that season is we were twice as likely to come from behind to win with Dean Henderson in nets than we were with David De Gea in nets.

Maybe a bit of freak stat, there is alot of variables, but it would make perfect sense to be better at chasing games with a GK that actively takes high positions and sweeps high behind the defensive line giving the defenders confidence to them push high and compress the space. Unlike De Gea who doesn't take high positions or actively sweep meaning the defensive line hasn't got the confidence to push right up meaning when we are chasing games we leave to much space for the opposition to play into, making it to easy for them to get out of the press and then play into space Infront of out defensive line.

The fact is we can not dream of playing an effective high press with De Gea, weather that be chasing games or trying to control them with possession. And it's been that way for the last 3 years, such an obvious flaw in our game.

Cela

433 is the way to go for tough teams.

I thought dutch managers all play 433?

Bruno and Eriksen can't play together.

Casimero and Fred should both play together and winning the ball should be a main playmaking situation. No need for Bruno to play hot potato with the ball. It's too easy to defend.

Sancho Martial Antony
Casimero Fred Eriksen
Shaw Martinez Varane Dalot
I will definitely love to see this formation. I think it will bring the best out of Eriksen and Fred. I think Fred ability to pass between the lines especially in transition is underrated. both Fred and Casimero are good in ball recovering and that will allow Erick to be more of a creator. he takes care of the ball much better than Bruno.

the_cliff

Other than Mctominay who are the alternatives in attack ?

There's a reason why ETH said before the transfer window closes that we needed reinforcements in attack and more than one.

Everyone says why does he persist with x and why does he persist with y.

Who do you recommend he play instead ? A half fit Martial ? Elanga ? Ronaldo who is statistically the worst presser in the league ? or maybe you expect him to play Garnacho in the Manchester derby at the Etihad ?

Xaviboy

I missed the game yesterday so only got highlights on MOTD last night but how easy did we make it for city. That midfield was shocking.

Couple of the goals yesterday we had 3 players chasing after the one player with ball and city just pass it off 5 yards and we get cut open and the amount of walking around by the players when out of possession. Questions need to be asked about the desire and commitment yesterday.

City are a class side but we made it so simple for them.

Casemiro needs to start now and be the 1st on team sheet to hold that midfield and give us some leadership in midfield.

DutchCruijff

Why would a united team on the back of a terrible season, that doesnt have a history of high pressing, under a manager who has been in the job for 4/5 months, played less than 10 competitive matches press like city or arsenal who both have managers who have been there for years and have had time to build squads and a mentality for high pressing/possession football?

I wonder why it could be that we don't press or keep possession as good as them.
It's been 10 months now with Rangnick AND Ten Hag and pressing is still utterly shambolic and incoherent.

Rangnick was exasperated at the fact that the players could not pick up on the press.

At this point, they just aren't capable, full stop.

DutchCruijff

Other than Mctominay who are the alternatives in attack ?

There's a reason why ETH said before the transfer window closes that we needed reinforcements in attack and more than one.

Everyone says why does he persist with x and why does he persist with y.

Who do you recommend he play instead ? A half fit Martial ? Elanga ? Ronaldo who is statistically the worst presser in the league ? or maybe you expect him to play Garnacho in the Manchester derby at the Etihad ?
Rashford LW, Ronaldo #9, Fred and Casemiro CM and Eriksen #10.

And NOT to high press. We should not have committed to a high press vs City when the players aren't capable.

fezzerUTD

If people think Ten Hag is going to let Ronaldo disrepect him all summer then welcome him back into the starting 11 week in week out are sadly mistaken. If Ronaldo doesn’t play for us again i wont batter an eye lid.

DutchCruijff

:lol: wow, I suggest you calm down and take a deep breath!
You seem triggered!

I'm glad Ten Hag said that as it does need improvement.

I suggest you watch the Liverpool and Arsenal games back and see for yourself.

A press doesn't have to be high up the pitch, it a coordinated action anywhere on the pitch. Which is what United achieved during the Liverpool game, Bruno with 17 presses during the game, McT with 15 (yet apparently they cant press?),
Here's a snapshot of The Coaches Voice analysis after the Liverpool game: The hosts pressed Liverpool very well, mostly from a mid-block but with intermittent spells of higher pressing

As for the Arsenal game, our press wasn't great, but was there. That was mainly down to how good Arsenal were on the ball.
However, Ten Hag changed his mindset in that game and played mainly on the counter so a coordinated press wasn't as vital to proceedings,

So the players can do it, and have done it. Yesterday was bizarre in both application and desire.
I'll say it again, provide one match in the past year, where we've had two coaches intent on pressing, where we've shown highly competent pressing and that INCLUDES high pressing rather than just defending deep and stepping out. That's all I'm asking. One match in 2022. Just one.

I can tell you the answer. We haven't display competent pressing the entire last year.

And that's because they're incapable of it. Zonal Marking goes into the shambolic pressing yesterday - https://theathletic.com/3650157/2022/10/03/manchester-united-city-press?source=user-shared-article

These players are awful at cutting off passing lanes. Utterly oblivious.

captaincantona

ETH should not really be playing such an attacking lineup if he isn’t completely sure that the players can execute the plan. We have played on the break to some effect in this type of game before - because it’s clear that to stand toe to toe with this top city side you need an ultra well drilled team (Liverpool only side I have really seen doing it consistently) We are miles off that type of consistency so was a strange line up for me.

How can you beat a top side if you a) get outworked and b) have attacking players that don’t have any confidence on the ball. Sancho was a real let down. Rashford. Bruno. Excuses excuses.

Right now - every fan, pundit, ex player , ex manager etc. could see…we are not ready to press high against top sides. No shame in it. We know it’s a process…doesn’t mean we have to be stupid. Grind out a draw and win the next 5 games. get up to speed for the return game old Trafford.

whichever way you look at it, shipping 4 goals before half time once is a step and a lesson in the process. Doing it twice is completely inconceivable at this level. Shouldn’t have happened.

DutchCruijff

Yeah we would've won 3-0 with that team.
You asked me for my side and I've given it. There's no need for snide remarks.

Would we have still lost? I don't know - it wasn't just personnel, it was tactics, the (high) press yesterday was shambolic and the effort of the wingers to cover the fullbacks was awful.

I do think we would have fared better had we selected that particular XI AND we played a similar game plan vs Liverpool, draw them into our own half and press them with limited space behind us.

captaincantona

Yeah we would've won 3-0 with that team.
He has a point. You and every other fan and human being knows that to high press city there is fuk all room for error. I’d say if you analysed their losses and draws since Peps second season the vast majority were to teams who had significantly lower possession , lower chance creation, limited possession in high areas of the pitch. That tells you simply that it is not in any way normal to press city high and to enforce your game plan on them and still get a result. Tell me anyone but Klopp who has managed it consistently.

what about this United side makes anyone think it was a good idea to play “our game” against them? Sometimes you have to know your place. Be honest. A draw at city is a good result no matter how it is achieved. Setting up like we did and listening to the tactics ETH wanted to employ leaves no room for exactly what happened - most of our team shitting themselves. ETH was schooled. Hopefully he learns from it.

Champ

I'll say it again, provide one match in the past year, where we've had two coaches intent on pressing, where we've shown highly competent pressing and that INCLUDES high pressing rather than just defending deep and stepping out. That's all I'm asking. One match in 2022. Just one.

I can tell you the answer. We haven't display competent pressing the entire last year.

And that's because they're incapable of it. Zonal Marking goes into the shambolic pressing yesterday - https://theathletic.com/3650157/2022/10/03/manchester-united-city-press?source=user-shared-article

These players are awful at cutting off passing lanes. Utterly oblivious.
:lol:

Do you want to move the goalposts any more?
Pressing isn't just a high press, it's a coordinated structure of putting pressure on the ball playing opponent. Doesn't have to be high, it can be anywhere on the pitch.

We did that well against Liverpool, so there's one game, with the same players that were involved yesterday, which proves they can do it.

I think you are misconstruing what pressing is due to the bile and angst that is emanating from your every furiously typed word.

I suggest a lie down, then watch the Liverpool game again,