Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Who’s Steve Jobs
He was a human. Steve Jobs liked to spend his mornings in face-to-face meetings with his product and management teams, his afternoons in the design lab with Apple's top designer Jony Ive, and his evenings sitting around the long wooden table in the kitchen at his home in Palo Alto, California, having dinner with his wife and kids.

Doracle

Rio again defending Ronaldo and sending a message to ETH that it will be "huge call to drop Ronaldo for game vs Fulham".
Pressure by media and FC Mates on ETH because of Diva no7 is insane. Board (Murtough) must sell Ronaldo in january to give Erik chance to do what is the best for team.

And yeah, FC Mates (not Gary) can feck off already. They are embarrassing. Instead trying to be positive regarding team and Erik they chose to defend their pal Ronaldo. Pathetic stuff.
Rio’s quotes are fairly bizarre. Ronaldo is “probably fighting for fitness” but it would still be a “huge call” for ETH to drop him against Fulham.

If he’s not fully fit, then it shouldn’t be a controversial decision to drop him for a match we need to win. If Rio is right and he will come back stronger after the WC then great, he will have a much better case to play then. As it is, there is no way he should be in the team.

Zetrio2002

The main key position is Jesus, he is still no injury who is the main part to transform Arsenal attacking side this season. He has a decent ability to hold up the ball and dribble past the opposite in small area which is help Arsenal playing Arteta tactic. And we have one suit with ETH but he is injury prone.....
Don't worry. Arsenal always choke in the end. The main rival for the league title is always City.

Some players were probably asked to chose whether they want to play Aston villa in the league or the Carling cup so some of them have chosen.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was a human. Steve Jobs liked to spend his mornings in face-to-face meetings with his product and management teams, his afternoons in the design lab with Apple's top designer Jony Ive, and his evenings sitting around the long wooden table in the kitchen at his home in Palo Alto, California, having dinner with his wife and kids.
Ligma balls
Edit:

nakpodiareuben

I have to say for the first time that ETH made some errors against Aston villa. Fred or mct would have started in place of Donny. (That would have put a lot of pressure on Aston villa defence). Donny had an indifferent game at sociedad so was never going to turn it at villa park.

Guapa

I have to say for the first time that ETH made some errors against Aston villa. Fred or mct would have started in place of Donny. (That would have put a lot of pressure on Aston villa defence). Donny had an indifferent game at sociedad so was never going to turn it at villa park.
Correct

Foxbatt

Rio again defending Ronaldo and sending a message to ETH that it will be "huge call to drop Ronaldo for game vs Fulham".
Pressure by media and FC Mates on ETH because of Diva no7 is insane. Board (Murtough) must sell Ronaldo in january to give Erik chance to do what is the best for team.

And yeah, FC Mates (not Gary) can feck off already. They are embarrassing. Instead trying to be positive regarding team and Erik they chose to defend their pal Ronaldo. Pathetic stuff.
This has got our of control. ETH needs to comment on these things somehow. Did Robbo say anything to SAF about dropping or selecting certain players?

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Obviously that it wasn't up to scratch, which is why he's not manager anymore? You're not saying or revealing anything that United fans themselves haven't criticised and discussed ad nauseam on this very forum.
I wasn't trying to be facetious, it was a genuine question as I don't follow everything United and wasn't sure. It just seems odd that a club like United was somehow severely under par in such a fundamental area. These are professional athletes after all.

BorisManUtd

At least game vs Villa definitely showed 2 things:

1. Ronaldo shouldn't start and should be replaced in January if possible
2. Van de Beek should be sold as early as January

Ronaldo leaving would mean actually saving big money that would go for his wages for another 6 months and selling Donny would give us funds to sign a striker in January.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This has got our of control. ETH needs to comment on these things somehow. Did Robbo say anything to SAF about dropping or selecting certain players?
Why are our ex players (who work as pundits) such pricks? I didn't notice that other pundits are trashing their former clubs or that they are fanboys or something. All what Scholes, Keane and Neville are doing are criticsm and moan and Rio is behaving like a child with his fanboying (Messi, Ronaldo, Barca, Solskjaer...). Get a grip Rio ffs.

Yakuza_devils

We need to give him time and keep believing. We are still very far away from challenging for the PL. To win PL we need to finish thereabouts 100 points. That's the standard Abu Dhabi City has set for PL.

We are on course to finish Top 4 and our style of play have improved. It's obvious that we need more players to fully play ETH's football. I'm convinced next season will be much better and his third season will be where we start to challenge.

Hughes35

Erik ten Hag plays Eriksen next to Casemiro to start the attacks. Eriksen is the player who has the responsibility to bring the ball from a defensive situation to the attacking players. There is no replacement for Eriksen for that role. McT prefers to not receive the ball and passing really isnt his thing either. Fred cant receive the ball close to goal because he has a bad touch/not the most reliable touch (i think Troy Deeney once said that Watford had Fred receiving the ball as a pressing trigger for them) and also isnt great at passing. ETH needs Eriksen as a central midfielder, its not a mistake but part of the way how he wants to play. The problem is that Eriksen has no proper replacement who can play his role as centre mid and another problem is that Donny, during his Manchester United period, hasnt shown anything that suggests he can play for Manchester United.

I still believe that Eriksen was supposed to be more of a rotation option. An option to play CM instead of Frenkie or to play AM instead of Bruno. Frenkie didnt join and now Eriksen always has to play as CM and the cover for Bruno is the not very good playing Donny van de Beek.

I dont think Ronaldo is a serious option for the left wing. He doesnt run enough for that. No way he is going track back. He has never done that. There is a reason Ronaldo basically became a striker instead of the inside forward which he was during the prime of his career. Rashford has been on the right wing before, he runs to the right wing when he plays as centre forward. He swaps places with the right winger during matches when he plays as a striker or left winger. Rashford just didnt have a good game.... Rashford isnt a world class player, Rashford will have bad games. You dont know what you get from him.

I would expect more from Rashford on the right wing than from a youth player or from Elanga who just isnt good. Its just unfortunate the two better options for the right wing were both out at the same time.

I dont think ten Hag made any mistakes, i dont see it as strange decisions but because the score people will call it poor choices. Playing Eriksen in midfield or Rashford on the right doesnt change Lindelof storming out of the defense, not making a tackle or anything and just leaving a huge hole for an extremely quick player to run into or Shaw causing a free kick that goes in. After getting behind 2-0 that quickly it was never going to be turned around with this current team against a defensive Aston Villa.

I understand and agree with why Eriksen plays the deeper position for us. I still think it was a mistake to play him there without Bruno though....... And ultimately it was a mistake because the team just did not function.

Agree with you on the Ronaldo point though, TBH it was a typo and I meant to say Rashford on the left. Rashford just cant play on the right. We've tried it multiple times and he has never performed to even an average level, trying it again was a mistake...... Even more so when he's actually been hitting good form again.

largelyworried

ETH is new to this league and isn't the most experienced manager around. He will certainly make mistakes, and I think that was one.

That doesn't mean he isn't an excellent manager or that he'll continue to make the same mistakes week after week. Indeed one of the things I've liked about him so far is how quick he seems to be learning.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The one thing I’ve noticed and like about Ten Hag so far is that he’s learning pretty quick, yes he’s making mistakes but he’s putting them right and doesn’t make the same mistake. He’s switching tactics depending on the opponent as we’ve seen already and it’s worked against the likes of Liverpool and arsenal. Let’s win the next 2 games and that will set us up nicely for the second part of the season. We’re still only touching distance from top 4. It’s annoying that we never take advantage when our rivals spurs and Chelsea drop points. But it is what it is.

I Am Zlatan

I’m a big fan of ETH, I have to say that Fred should have started in place of Bruno, Fred also had one of his best games in a United shirt against Spurs, but he barely got a chance to play after that.

LuckyScout78

I think he is more flexible and not stuck on in one formation at Ajax. Maybe higher expectations and pressure with United. It lead him to take lesser risk choice.

I saw him use DVB and Eriksen at the two nr.8 in a pre season match this summer. Like this:

Eriksen - Fred - DVB

But in all the league matches this season has been 4231 formation. Where Bruno is not a natural winger. Have to play RW/RM. Bruno hasn't pace to beat players at RW/RM

Here is a right foot natural right winger:

United legend Andrej Kanchelskis

Challenge for United current RW options. This the top level or RW/RM if you want to reach. Have a goal to reach and beat.

Watching Bruno and Sancho playing RM/RW make me miss United legend Andrej Kanchelskis . That man was really close to world class level as RW/RM player.

The point if. If you don't have a natural really good RW/RM player available. Drop a formation that demand a RW and go for 4312 with 2 really good CF upfront instead. And have another cm player for cover the midfield area.
That is why 433 and 451 and total football formation really really compact. In defensive the wingers track back to make a 5 man midfield. It make the midfield really compact.

4231 without natural really good wingers. It's not a good idea and decision from my point of view.

Imagine having Giggs and Kanchelskis as United wingers and wide players in this current team. It would be pure pleasure to watch. Wingers just keep it simple and beat players. Beside scoring goals.

In other words. I am not satisfying with United current level of wingers. Those legend are the standards and the top level of United and football. A challenge for them. To reach and become better players.

The basic = Right and best player for the specific job. Not a natural RM player Bruno as RM. Then you will limited your team max level. Bruno has and will never become a top or conistent really good RM. But as LM/LW maybe. But as RM. You need top speed to beat opponent defenders or at least world class crossers for Beckham. Top speed of Kanchelskis or top crosser and passer of Beckham. If not at and against top level opponents it will not work out.

When you have been spoiled of the top level of RM and wide players in Kanchelskis, Beckham and Giggs. Got served by the level of and qualities of United current wingers. Of course you get dissapointed.
It's all about effective football with end product. Keep it simple;)

Speako

One defeat in Nine prior to Villa, and that away at City. Four points off third place with a game in hand, after what happened last season and the team he inherited? He's currently pulling off a minor fecking miracle.

Chairman Steve

Playing tough away game in Spain midweek + Significant injuries & suspensions to key players + Severely underperforming team with no midweek game + New manager bounce involving very good manager = We lose

Happened plenty of times under Ferguson even when we were very good.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think he is more flexible and not stuck on in one formation at Ajax. Maybe higher expectations and pressure with United. It lead him to take lesser risk choice.

I saw him use DVB and Eriksen at the two nr.8 in a pre season match this summer. Like this:

Eriksen - Fred - DVB

But in all the league matches this season has been 4231 formation. Where Bruno is not a natural winger. Have to play RW/RM. Bruno hasn't pace to beat players at RW/RM

Here is a right foot natural right winger:

United legend Andrej Kanchelskis

Challenge for United current RW options. This the top level or RW/RM if you want to reach. Have a goal to reach and beat.

Watching Bruno and Sancho playing RM/RW make me miss United legend Andrej Kanchelskis . That man was really close to world class level as RW/RM player.

The point if. If you don't have a natural really good RW/RM player available. Drop a formation that demand a RW and go for 4312 with 2 really good CF upfront instead. And have another cm player for cover the midfield area.
That is why 433 and 451 and total football formation really really compact. In defensive the wingers track back to make a 5 man midfield. It make the midfield really compact.

4231 without natural really good wingers. It's not a good idea and decision from my point of view.

Imagine having Giggs and Kanchelskis as United wingers and wide players in this current team. It would be pure pleasure to watch. Wingers just keep it simple and beat players. Beside scoring goals.

In other words. I am not satisfying with United current level of wingers. Those legend are the standards and the top level of United and football. A challenge for them. To reach and become better players.

The basic = Right and best player for the specific job. Not a natural RM player Bruno as RM. Then you will limited your team max level. Bruno has and will never become a top or conistent really good RM. But as LM/LW maybe. But as RM. You need top speed to beat opponent defenders or at least world class crossers for Beckham. Top speed of Kanchelskis or top crosser and passer of Beckham. If not at and against top level opponents it will not work out.

When you have been spoiled of the top level of RM and wide players in Kanchelskis, Beckham and Giggs. Got served by the level of and qualities of United current wingers. Of course you get dissapointed.
It's all about effective football with end product. Keep it simple;)
you are struggling to find one striker to make a 4231 work... where do you expect to find the second striker for that 4312 system?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
One defeat in Nine prior to Villa, and that away at City. Four points off third place with a game in hand, after what happened last season and the team he inherited? He's currently pulling off a minor fecking miracle.
I think too that he is doing good job but lets not go overboard here and lower our standards like we did with Solskjaer.
He has a pretty good squad and he got all signings that he wanted. Our team, regarding quality, is on par with Celski, Arsenal and Spurs.

mav_9me

I think too that he is doing good job but lets not go overboard here and lower our standards like we did with Solskjaer.
He has a pretty good squad and he got all signings that he wanted. Our team, regarding quality, is on par with Celski, Arsenal and Spurs.
Disagree.

Chelsea have better depth (but similarly poor attack)

Arsenal have a striker and of course more time together (but similarly poor depth)

Spurs have a way better striker and attack (poorer defense)

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I wasn't trying to be facetious, it was a genuine question as I don't follow everything United and wasn't sure. It just seems odd that a club like United was somehow severely under par in such a fundamental area. These are professional athletes after all.
But what point were you trying to make? What relevance to ETH do Solskjaer's training methods have?
Playing tough away game in Spain midweek + Significant injuries & suspensions to key players + Severely underperforming team with no midweek game + New manager bounce involving very good manager = We lose

Happened plenty of times under Ferguson even when we were very good.
Agree with this. I feel there has been a mini meltdown, but this kind of bump in the road is gonna be par for the course this season. We should finish top 4, but we might not, due to our inconsistency - what will be important is to assess whether or not that inconsistency is getting reduced as the months go by.

Not having a regular 9 up front, and not being able to play our full strength XI more than twice in a row, is also really fecking us over.

slored1

We look infinitely better without Ronaldo. Hope he has played his last game for us.

the_cliff

That front 3 in the last 30 minutes was how we should've started in the league.

Hopefully Ronaldo is done and the DVB experiment is scrapped.

We look infinitely better without Ronaldo. Hope he has played his last game for us.
We looked fecking horrendous with a capital H in the first half.

The problem is that whenever we have a starting 11 that remotely resembles last season, we get a dog turd of a performance, and with every change/sub of a new player, we get better and better and better.

Once Eriksen and Garnacho came in, we looked a different team, and only got better as Martinez and Casemiro joined then. And surprise surprise, everyone elses level went up with the introductions.

Shows me just how wrong Ole had it and how right ETH has it so far.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Our plan was OK, execution was shit for 60 mins. Villa scored more than they had, it happens.

ETH did well with the subs. Overall I'm feeling positive. Players need to calm down a bit though.

delerium

Erik Hen Tag.. FFS Sky :D

He's been giving VDB chances, but enough is enough. Good subs tho!

Bondi77

Our plan was OK, execution was shit for 60 mins. Villa scored more than they had, it happens.

ETH did well with the subs. Overall I'm feeling positive. Players need to calm down a bit though.
Which players need to calm down?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Which players need to calm down?
In the first half a lot of players (Fred, Rashford, Maguire etc) did very simple mistakes which were caused by nerves. We never really settled in the game.
First half was just plenty of simple mistakes, miscontrols, bad passes etc. Nothing ETH can help with really.