Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robertd0803

He strikes me as the kind of manager where no result or performance cant be improved upon. Its brilliant.

RepardReece

First time since LVG I've actually seen an identity in our football game. Can't believe there were people that thought we should've kept Ole.

The transformation so far has been incredible. Last season's team was the team I've disliked the most since watching Man Utd, and this season is easily my favourite post-Fergie.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If we even get close to the title (no chance in hell imho) in the season that Arse are supposed to be back, it'll be beyond hilarious.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Our players are so sharp and confident in comparison to last season that it's unreal. Of course the new arrivals make a huge difference but plenty have stepped up too.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
First time since LVG I've actually seen an identity in our football game
Identity means jack shit if it's boring and leads to nothing. Luckily for us neither is true now.

I want to be careful with predicting the future, but the period starting from game week 3 and up until now is the best it's been since Fergie retired.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm excited for the City game next week. Will be the ultimate test of where we are at. We are flying in form, fitness with the group seems great, and the distractions are gone, and it's at Old Trafford. Hopefully no injuries next 2 games. Huge chance for a statement game against probably the best team in Europe.

RepardReece

Identity means jack shit if it's boring and leads to nothing. Luckily for us neither is true now.

I want to be careful with predicting the future, but the period starting from game week 3 and up until now is the best it's been since Fergie retired.
Yeah didn't say anything about that identity being good, didn't enjoy that period of football.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
A bit worried the new owners would have their own plans for the manager post and look for the first opportunity to give him the boot. Hopefully they have more sense than that because this is the best manager we've had since Sir Alex and if given the necessary time & financial backing, he'd get us back where we belong.

OverratedOpinion

I've typed 3 posts and deleted them because I didn't think they encapsulated the level of respect I have for the man.

Looking at us last season and looking at us now is like a blueprint of what a top coach should strive for at a problem club. Every intricate decision has been spot on in my opinion.

One of the best coaches in Europe.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm excited for the City game next week. Will be the ultimate test of where we are at. We are flying in form, fitness with the group seems great, and the distractions are gone, and it's at Old Trafford. Hopefully no injuries next 2 games. Huge chance for a statement game against probably the best team in Europe.
Erik's ultimate real test

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think the most interesting thing is that he’s bald yet i still respect him.

RedDevilRoshi

A bit worried the new owners would have their own plans for the manager post and look for the first opportunity to give him the boot. Hopefully they have more sense than that because this is the best manager we've had since Sir Alex and if given the necessary time & financial backing, he'd get us back where we belong.
That’s the only worry I have as well. The players and the fans are right behind ETH and I just hope the potential new owners don’t come in and disrupt that. It’ll just set us back to square 1 all over again. Needs to be backed financially and given the necessary time as you say.

Mailo

"Erik ten Hag has explained why Man Utd's emphatic 3-0 win over Bournemouth was not the Red Devils' 'best game', stating that his side were 'lucky' at times.

Man Utd romped to a third straight win in the Premier League thanks to goals from Casemiro, Luke Shaw and Marcus Rashford on Tuesday night at Old Trafford.

In winning the game, Ten Hag's side went to within just one point of inner-city rivals Manchester City in the Premier League table - something that seemed pretty impossible six months ago.

Despite the win, speaking to the press after the game Ten Hag noted that he wasn't particularly pleased with his side's performance.

"I am happy with 3-0, that is obvious and quite clear but today was not our best game. We didn't play smart as a team and sometimes we were lucky," he said.

"We scored great goals and should have scored more. We could have conceded too but great saves from David de Gea, I am not happy with that. It is something we have to avoid."

The Man Utd manager also provided an update on Donny van de Beek's fitness after the midfielder was forced off with an apparent injury before half-time in the game. Ten Hag said that the injury was 'not looking good' and that the player will undergo tests on Wednesday to find out the extent of his issue."

Love the mentality!

Brophs

The One and Only
i think the most interesting thing is that he’s bald yet i still respect him.
That’ll mean a lot, coming from the fella who used to post on here about sniffing the seat of his nan’s wheelchair.

Zen

This guys gonna win the title first season in a team that needed decades of work to be fixed and binning his off his only striker. Legend.

ETH. My man. (even if he realistically just comes top 4).

city-puma

We've won 6 in a row, them two meaningless friendlies in the middle, when most of the team were at the WC, don't count.
I mean league games. The only way to show we have truly come back is to string a series of the league game wins in a row. Say 10 wins. The next is the real challenge and I think we can get it done.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
That’ll mean a lot, coming from the fella who used to post on here about sniffing the seat of his nan’s wheelchair.
i’ve already emailed the club informing them of him being granted the freedom to sniff her seat any time that i’m not doing it. i can see a firm friendship blossoming from a shared passion.

OverratedOpinion

I mean league games. The only way to show we have truly come back is to string a series of the league game wins in a row. Say 10 wins. The next is the real challenge and I think we can get it done.
We have had this debate the last time you said it.

Our longest ever winning streak in the Prem was 12 under Sir Alex. The improvement on the side is clear to see. If we draw next week that doesn't change this.

always_hoping

Remember how dreadful we were last year? Remember the first two games and what they carried over? Ten Hag, you are a God, mate.
Main memory from last year was flaky players dropping the tools for Ole and not picking them up at all for Rangnick.

ETH a breath of fresh air thus far, no nonsense and showing who's boss the first United manager to do that since Ferguson

Rolaholic

Given the state of the squad when he took over and the opposition he's faced in the league, that's a terrific record.

Very much on the right track and for the first time in years, it's clear for all to see what we're building and a new defined identity/playing style taking shape

tjb

He's done a fantastic job so far.

We still have a few things to do.

1) We need to get our attackers up and running. Sancho, Antony, Martial, Garnacho, Amad and whoever our next striker is will be good enough, however we need to ensure that we get them to perform consistently in the way Rashford has done so far.

2) We need to ensure that the possibility of us not playing at this level in a game is very slim. This for me means ensuring adequate depth. Players like Elanga, Mctominay, Fred and VDB indicate a massive drop off when they play. This doesn't mean that we need a full squad of world class players; but we will need a squad where major determinants of that position can be replicated. For example, neither Fred or Mctominay can hold. They both are poor in their off the ball movement to provide a passing option for the defence, they are both poor at holding during a counter and their positional sense is pretty poor. For a holding midfielder, there aren't many who can come close to Casemiro, but anyone backing him up should at least be able to do these things. If we can ensure that for almost all the games we play, the players playing that role can provide at least 80 percent of what the manager wants for that role, we will have so much success. Fergie used to have the likes of Butt, Blomequist, Solksjaer, Brown, O'shea, Fletcher, Park and Sherringham. Even if Keane or Scholes were injured for a few games, the quality barely dropped. Yes Butt didn't have the attacking prowess of Scholes or the passing of Keane, but he could consistently offer about 70 or 80 percent of what either player could provide, which allowed us to sustain similar levels of quality even in the games they missed.

AshRK

We have a top coach and no one should doubt it.

And the scary part is this is not even close to the football he wants us to play.

Skills

Snitch
The best thing he could is to build some credit in the bank by winning a trophy or 2. But even that's not guaranteed - see Tuchel.

Waynne

If it was Ole it would be something along the lines of:
"The boys did very well. They played a brilliant game. Fantastic from start to finish"

Contrast to Ten Hag that's not completely happy with the performance despite winning 3-0. I love this man.

city-puma

We have had this debate the last time you said it.

Our longest ever winning streak in the Prem was 12 under Sir Alex. The improvement on the side is clear to see. If we draw next week that doesn't change this.
I definitely will accept a draw next week. That feeling when watching us achieve that many wins in a row has been lost for the past ten years. It’s a landmark really to show the winning mentality and mental strength. Under Sir Alex, it’s how we overcame Jose’s Chelsea and Pep’s ManCity when people felt they were unbeatable.
My original expectations in timeline about our development so far is on schedule, i.e., major transformation done before the end of year. Now, it’s the second phase to try to win trophies, including the league though a bit difficult. But, who knows. I am of course very optimistic. :smirk:

Glorio

I'll be honest and say I'm not excited about the next 2 PL games at all - I'm not totally bricking it either, but at this point I feel we are favourites against any team bar City and Arsenal and alas, they're coming back-to-back. I feel we could have easily put a momentous run together if those 2 were further down the season.

Either way, this team of ours is so effective at getting results that they could go and get 4 out of 6 points from those games, and if we manage that, well that's huge! On the other hand, it wouldn't be completely strange to come out with zero.

Red_Heisenberg

The fans are behind this man, the player are behind him as well. I just hope the potential new owners get behind him too. Give ETH the tools he needs to take us to the next level is all I ask. First time in a long time, there seems to be a clear visions & a blueprint on what a Manchester United manager is trying to achieve which isn’t something I’ve said in the past about his predecessors. It’s the part I’m absolutely buzzing to watch us play again which ain’t something I’ve said too often in the past.
New owners would be silly to let him slip through their fingers, we've got potential contender to klopp and pep at the club. I'm not saying he definitely is that, but he definitely has the potential and tactical knowledge to get there. Part of what makes him exciting for me is not knowing what his ceiling is yet. Where as with the other managers we could get, we already know they aren't on that level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

Robbie Boy

We finally have the right man for the job. Every other manager post-Fergie has been fecking wretched.

Delano

I love the man. I cannot falt him in anyway. He was a given a terrible hand and he's managed it all superbly.

It's an obvious comment at this point, but I'm petrified he gets pushed by a new owner.

The irony of the Glazers finally getting something right and fecking it up will be standard.

Gasolin

I'll be honest and say I'm not excited about the next 2 PL games at all - I'm not totally bricking it either, but at this point I feel we are favourites against any team bar City and Arsenal and alas, they're coming back-to-back. I feel we could have easily put a momentous run together if those 2 were further down the season.

Either way, this team of ours is so effective at getting results that they could go and get 4 out of 6 points from those games, and if we manage that, well that's huge! On the other hand, it wouldn't be completely strange to come out with zero.
Think about it the other way around: we make the effort to beat them and we have a highway to beat other teams while they have to drop pts between each others. The players have to be pumped for those games!

croadyman

Love the fact we won 3-0 and he's not happy,that's very Guardiola like when City have won by that kind of margin

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Given the state of the squad when he took over and the opposition he's faced in the league, that's a terrific record.

Very much on the right track and for the first time in years, it's clear for all to see what we're building and a new defined identity/playing style taking shape
I'd be extremely pleased for this until I saw Ole 2nd and Moyes 3rd.

Ole'sattheWheel

One thing I like is the emphasis we've put on set pieces.

In both this game and v forest, we've used set plays to gain the lead and force what would usually be a team who'd come to OT and play for a point - to actually come out and play - creating space for us to score more.

We've always struggled to break these kind of teams down, so it looks like ten Hag has identified this as a way to open up space by forcing these "low block" teams to come out.