Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

What the feck is this :lol:

Either he's gone mad or that's the shittiest attempt at mind games I've ever seen.
It's taken a bit out of context. The press used our good form and Gundogan's "something seems off this season" comment after the LC elimination to elicit a headline from him. He was pissed and he retorted that doesn't get what the fuss is all about because United doing well should not be perceived as an anomaly in English football. One of the first questions was about his comment on Wednesday that (after getting out of the LC) City will have to change all their tactical setup to even stand a chance at OT. It was funny because he looked so baffled before he said: "It was a joke. We lost one game. Nothing more than a joke".

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It's taken a bit out of context. The press used our good form and Gundogan's "something seems off this season" comment after the LC elimination to elicit a headline from him. He was pissed and he retorted that doesn't get what the fuss is all about because United doing well should not be perceived as an anomaly in English football. One of the first questions was about his comment on Wednesday that (after getting out of the LC) City will have to change all their tactical setup to even stand a chance at OT. It was funny because he looked so baffled before he said: "It was a joke. We lost one game. Nothing more than a joke".
Alright that makes it a lot more comprehensible instead of the mad ramblings that it seemed before.

He seems kinda rattled though based on what you've said.

sugar_kane

And folk said the time of strict discipline had passed, too old school they said.

His disciplinarian attitude reminds me of Fergie although Fergie did end up making exceptions for the likes of Cantona and you know who, wonder if Eric will do the same if a player of that caliber arrives.
Eric Cantona was a once in a lifetime player when it came to his combination of talent, persona, intellect, temperament. We’re unlikely to see the likes of him again in football.

Getting the best out of him required an entirely bespoke approach, and when it comes to Fergie’s stance on discipline he’s the exception that proves the rule.

Where Fergie was adaptable was when to adopt carrot or the stick approach for players, he was brilliant at that. Discipline however would have always been the constant.

nickm

Yes, because I believe (but I can see why people disagree) that these statements are fundamentally wrong. To win the big titles you need winning experience. Winning stuff like tha Carabao Cup might not be an important title, but it gives an ego boost which can be important to make the next step and win the big titles.

And what else should indicate that you are back? United always were a top 4 team during the last decade, it was only titles missing (and at least Mou and LVG fid win something...)
We should always aim to win something, that was always a Fergie thing, even if you couldn't always win the big stuff.

Even if we aren't ready for a proper run at the title, even if our realistic goal there is top 4 and CL qualification, we should be aiming to win one of the cups.

You develop a winning attitude by winning things, and that's how you build up to challenging for the biggest trophies.

nickm

Eric Cantona was a once in a lifetime player when it came to his combination of talent, persona, intellect, temperament. We’re unlikely to see the likes of him again in football.

Getting the best out of him required an entirely bespoke approach, and when it comes to Fergie’s stance on discipline he’s the exception that proves the rule.

Where Fergie was adaptable was when to adopt carrot or the stick approach for players, he was brilliant at that. Discipline however would have always been the constant.
I remember reading somewhere that while eric was given exception for some rules, in the end he started to follow them anyway. What cantona really objected to, as a free spirit, was being told what to do. But if the choice was his, he could be trusted to do the right thing. And didn't he just. Really remarkable insight from Fergie.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Alright that makes it a lot more comprehensible instead of the mad ramblings that it seemed before.

He seems kinda rattled though based on what you've said.
He often uses quirky language and extreme examples to communicate his points, that's nothing new. If you're not used to him in interviews, you may find him a bit weird. But he definitely looked like he didn't want to be in that press conference. Not uncomfortable, just that "let's get this over with" attitude. Unlike ETH, who doesn't like to give away much in his presses. But i really liked that tiny sparkle in his eyes when his was asked about the 6-3 thrashing at the Etihad. It was like, "you couldn't wait to ask me that, could you?".

crossy1686

career ending
Is he submissive to every opponent? Yeesh. It's just mind games but no wonder those guys always choke the CL
Have you ever wondered why managers are complementary before big games to rival opposition? If he says anything negative he's given Ten Hag's team talk for him, also, the old adage: "It's not the blows to the head that makes a fighter soft, it's the pats on the back" never rings truer than it does in football.

Zen86

Have you ever wondered why managers are complementary before big games to rival opposition? If he says anything negative he's given Ten Hag's team talk for him, also, the old adage: "It's not the blows to the head that makes a fighter soft, it's the pats on the back" never rings truer than it does in football.
Yep, he’ll strike a very different tone if they lose today.

Greck

It's not a binary decision between being submissive or arrogant. There are several hundred thousand words, If he wanted he could find a couple few that don't do either extreme. The fellating mindgames aren't always needed, if ever at all.

mav_9me

Fergie is the greatest when it comes to man management. As far as I can see Cantona was the only one he cut so much slack. Even that was with regards to stuff such as suits etc. Cantona was a great example and leader when it came to training and football, if I'm not mistaken.

crossy1686

career ending
It's not a binary decision between being submissive or arrogant. There are several hundred thousand words, If he wanted he could find a couple few that don't do either extreme. The fellating mindgames aren't always needed, if ever at all.
I feel like you totally missed the point of my post so I’ll break it down; when someone says nice things about you, you’re less inclined to want to kill them, in fact you’re more likely to subconsciously take it easy on them, that’s what Pep is aiming for. However, he’s pretty shit at mind games because he’s so intense, it’s like if someone with Asperger’s makes a joke, you’re not actually sure if it’s a joke or not.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I normally don't feel excitement for a specific team other than watching Ajax all other matches I am a neutral who just wants to see a good, entertaining match but I will admit I want ETH to succeed just like Martinez and Antony that over the last few months you've have gotten a new supporter. Will be rooting from The Hague for you lot. Viaplay is shit but at least I can watch all EPL matches.

Greck

I feel like you totally missed the point of my post so I’ll break it down; when someone says nice things about you, you’re less inclined to want to kill them, in fact you’re more likely to subconsciously take it easy on them, that’s what Pep is aiming for. However, he’s pretty shit at mind games because he’s so intense, it’s like if someone with Asperger’s makes a joke, you’re not actually sure if it’s a joke or not.
Everyone kinda knows what it's trying to do, thought that much went without saying, he didn't exactly pull it out of some old general's top secret secret warbook. It's the aged go-to move for serial underachievers. Ole loved a good mindgame de'fellatio and became the pristine image of how it could backfire when spammed. Hence the saying that I'm not surprised they too have underachieved in some competitions. And yes, they are both shit at it.

Samoerai Jack

I normally don't feel excitement for a specific team other than watching Ajax all other matches I am a neutral who just wants to see a good, entertaining match but I will admit I want ETH to succeed just like Martinez and Antony that over the last few months you've have gotten a new supporter. Will be rooting from The Hague for you lot. Viaplay is shit but at least I can watch all EPL matches.
Same brother. Though I'm an ADO Den Haag fan originally :wenger: ETH is inspiring and I love this attacking football he promotes.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
There’s a lot of ADO fans who are reds and regularly hop over for the home games at OT.
I live in The Hague and have a lot of ADO supporting friends and acquaintances but never heard that. Interesting.

GMoore23

We haven't had a leader like this since the great man retired.

Just watching him talk before the game, he's a born leader and his enthusiasm for the game is fantastic. He's the kind of manager players will run through walls for to impress.

el3mel

Get in haha. How did this even happen ? :lol: We were dead and buried just few minutes before the goal came.

Fantastic spirit from the team to jump on the chance and win. This just feels so fecking good. City fans are probably hitting their heads against the wall now.

Ten Hag has truly transformed the team alright. We look a different beast especially mentally.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Ok Erik, no longer my coach but I kept trusting you. That paid me out 150 quid. Always beleived in the 2-1! :D