Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rusholme Ruffian

We scrapped through to the final on pens, so ?
Yeah, it was really exciting, and overall a great win against one of the best run clubs in English football just a few days after getting knocked out of Europe. Not some thing that I would describe as 'really bad'. Football is supposed to be fun - if you can't enjoy an FA Cup Semi-final win then I feel bad for you son.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
But how much better though? I think we overpaid for everyone except Martinez and there are question marks on all the rest.
Casemiro, Eriksen, Malacia, Martinez were good value signings.

Antony too much but he's starting to find his feet.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I get it, so people thought we'd turn into instant title challengers in one season after having our worst PL season ever. Makes sense now.

always_hoping

I think it's obvious he's a very good coach but he shouldn't really be allowed to make his own signings.

The thing is I don't believe Murtough and co. are good enough to be responsible for our transfers either.
It's business men that are mainly responsible for transfers and player contracts at United. Woodward and Matt Judge was totally clueless at it for years and I'd hope Murtough and co if still around for the summer can step it up as this United squad needs plenty of ins and outs.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thank you for the corrections.

My point stands though. We had some good results since Sir Alex left, but never managed to build on that. Each manager had a good run, but that didn’t lead to a league title or a CL win. I’m not sure why we think this time is going to be different.
There are many differences. Just purely results wise, this is the best season post Sir Alex. Top 4 and trophy while going far in 2 other cups is excellent, especially considering our striker output is that of a championship side this season (which can't be understated, how well we've done despite having literally nothing at CF). We've turned Old Trafford into a fortress but need to work on top half away games, true.

Our system is pretty clear to see, while it is also clear to see how we lack some players to execute the system to a high enough level or how the system falters when someone gets injured/subbed. It is also year 1 with it, so teething pains are expected. We've done a very good job to implement the system in terms of how we're coached, we don't play well for 90 minutes yet though. Not exactly a surprise that? But it's easier to see signs of progress when you see a clear system and see the clear weaknesses that you have. Under Ole or Mourinho, we didn't have a clear system. We relied on individual talent to attack but didn't have any patterns of play to get us from A to B, so it was never clear how 1 player going into the side would do or what would change. Now it is pretty clear what impact a top CF would have for us, what impact a ball playing GK would have for us, what impact a more press resistant CM would have who can actually slow the game down and control it with his passing. It's clear because the patterns of play we have get our players in those positions where the certain qualities are magnified, and often times our mistakes stem from not having those exact players.

Will it be enough to win the title? Who knows. We are up against Pep who is the best coach around with Man City with their funds (not to mention Klopp with Liverpool who is also an all time great). But Ten Hag is the best coach we've had since Sir Alex by a distance, the most suited to the club, and gives us the best chance at it. It is clear how we will improve, whether that is ultimately enough we will see, and if we can get the players we need we will see. But you can be damn well sure that there were no signings that Ole or Mourinho could have made that would have made them able to actually compete or beat Pep/Klopp.

Eddy_JukeZ

I get it, so people thought we'd turn into instant title challengers in one season after having our worst PL season ever. Makes sense now.
No one thought that.

The away performances/defeats are definitely a problem. We've been worse away from home this season than last season.

el3mel

No one said that but I like how the arguments here about United managers always end up with such statement not matter who's in charge : "I think he has been bad at at managing the club recently". "So you expected us to win the league in his first season ?".

Zero creativity. I bet some of you just have these posts saved in text file on your PC and just copy paste it when discussions about the manager happens.

Smores

I'll just say that he has made mistakes, like every other manager. And the team has had some pretty bad displays under his tenure too. He needs to fix our away mentality asap. But the people who can't see the difference between his coaching and Ole's are being willfully over the top with criticism. Everything else, especially the Wout sub when Pellsitri was right there, is fair criticism. But the team is heading in the right direction, there can be no doubt about that.
Fairest post from an hysterical or over defensive bunch.

He's taking the team on the right path he just isn't perfect either. He'll need to learn from his mistakes in these away games. He might do that through signings but it certainly isn't just personnel at play.

Rusholme Ruffian

We might have got through but the performance was poor. To pretend otherwise is pretty ridiculous. Our defence was good but we created nothing and De Gea was the main reason we didn't lose in the 90 mins
Did you bother reading the post I was responding to? It said 'Everything has been really bad since the league Cup win'. I was pointing out that we'd actually won a cup semi-final at the weekend. It's an odd football fan that describes a cup semi-final win against a decent team as 'really bad' - personally I loved it.

el3mel

Yeah, it was really exciting, and overall a great win against one of the best run clubs in English football just a few days after getting knocked out of Europe. Not some thing that I would describe as 'really bad'. Football is supposed to be fun - if you can't enjoy an FA Cup Semi-final win then I feel bad for you son.
They're good team but hell, they're not even top 6 in the league, but it's the same argument about City and Barcelona we had earlier so no point.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Did you bother reading the post I was responding to? It said 'Everything has been really bad since the league Cup win'. I was pointing out that we'd actually won a cup semi-final at the weekend. It's an odd football fan that describes a cup semi-final win against a decent team as 'really bad' - personally I loved it.
Performance

Idxomer

Casemiro, Eriksen, Malacia, Martinez were good value signings.

Antony too much but he's starting to find his feet.
But who out of them showed this season they are good enough for a title challenge as a starter?

He also personally picked Weghorst on loan and that was obviously a bad move.

el3mel

We win a cup semi final on pen against the 8th team in the league. That's far more than enough to ignore the shitshow that has been happening since winning the cup.

Do you even hear yourself in the mirror saying such ridiculous things ?

Rusholme Ruffian

With 10 men. Plus also we have been spanked this season also 6 and 7 goals.

Not that it changes everything but the main thing to get out of it is people are comparing the two. meaning deep down people from both camp (Ole & Ten Hag) feel the need to compare as if nothing differentiate them. Never you will hear City fans compare Pep to Mancini or Pellegrini (who both won the title) , or Liverpool fans comparing Klopp to Rogers. It means and shows the United fan base is not fully convinced it's him.
A worrying sign but he can turn over the fans on the fence by better football.
You do talk a lot of bollocks.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This thread has become a car crash in a dumpster fire.

Finish top 4, as seems likely and this season has been a great success.

evil_geko

Like someone already said, even if we lose every game until the end of season, I still trust the man long term. Talking about if we should sack him during his first season where he had tons of hurdles and bad luck and still delivered despite that is embarrassing.

Shark

@NotShark
There's nothing special about Erik's situation this year, it's just where its always been when a manager at United gets the sack.

It's been a good season, but I just cannot get why people hype him up so much.
Nothing special at all about taking over from a manager that had three years at United and accomplished absolutely nothing. The damage Ole caused in terms of mentality, coaching and transfers over the course of those three years are ridiculously understated, and I imagine will continue to do so given your comment. Let's be honest even LVG and Mourinho comfortablly surpassed Ole's tenure. Especially since their tenures weren't drowned in romanticism and endless excuses.

Skills

Snitch
Nothing special at all about taking over from a manager that had three years at United and accomplished absolutely nothing. The damage Ole caused in terms of mentality, coaching and transfers over the course of those three years are ridiculously understated, and I imagine will continue to do so given your comment. Let's be honest even LVG and Mourinho comfortablly surpassed Ole's tenure. Especially since their tenures weren't drowned in romanticism and endless excuses.
Meh, Howe inherited a relegation bound Newcastle from Steve Bruce and has them top 4 with the tightest defence in the country and 10 more goals than us.

Berbaclass

But who out of them showed this season they are good enough for a title challenge as a starter?

He also personally picked Weghorst on loan and that was obviously a bad move.
Are you serious? Martinez, Casemiro and Eriksen are good enough, no question.

Weghorst happened because of the Glazers refusal to spend more money. Not fair to blame that on ETH. His hands were obviously tied.

Skills

Snitch

Weghorst happened because of the Glazers refusal to spend more money. Not fair to blame that on ETH. His hands were obviously tied.
Or ETH wasting a good chunk of next seasons budget on winger who can't score or assist.

Shark

@NotShark
Meh, Howe inherited a relegation bound Newcastle from Steve Bruce and has them top 4 with the tightest defence in the country and 10 more goals than us.
Steve Bruce wasn't at Newcastle for as long as Ole was at United.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'm not discounting Howe as a manager here, but how much of it is due to him vs. how much of it is due to Ashworth and the rest of the backroom team their new owners built and invested in?

Because we don't have anywhere near the same level of backroom support or investment that they do.

Berbaclass

Or ETH wasting a good chunk of next seasons budget on winger who can't score or assist.
We overpaid on Antony because we went in late and dragged the deal out. Not on ETH.

If we'd have gone in earlier in the summer it would have been less.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
If United finish top 4 (still work to be done) it will be the first time for ten years to finish top 4 and win a trophy in the same season.

2017 finished 6th in the Premier league and won two cups
2016 finished 5th in the Premier league and won the FA cup
Not anything to be proud of. We are still a poor team, league table shows, all other metrics show City have scored a whooping 34 goals more than us, Arsenal have scored 30 more goals than us. Chelsea have leaked less goals than us. Who are in genuine crisis. We have leaked same goals as Liverpool. This is the poorest Liverpool team for sometime.

What we need as a fan base is to support Ten Hag when he sends away this Pseudo footballers, players who can't pass or control a football under pressure. We will never achieve a 90+ season playing 4231. It's impossible. No matter who you're. Even if we sign Osimhen and Kane, both of them, and everything remains the same we won't win the league. We will hit a brick wall with control of games.

Fans need to be alive to the fact, we are competing with Pep and City. A poor season for them is 86 points. Something we haven't achieved as a club in 10 years. So dilly-dally with these merchants of footballers in our team will harm us more than improve us. As Ralf said we need 10 players, 4 first team players already came, we are short of another 6. No sugarcoating.

el3mel

I have actually noticed we have the weakest attack among the top 5 ? Other teams in top 5 scored at least 10 more goals than us. Spurs who have been shit scored 12 goals more than us. That's really kind of a damper not gonna lie. I thought we had better offensive stats ?

Idxomer

Yes, I think only Martinez has played consistently well enough to imagine him as a part of a team challenging for the league. Casemiro's season has been weird but he showed a mix of strengths and weaknesses to still be a question mark. It's clear we need an upgrade on Eriksen though he has obviously been a good value signing.

We could've found someone better than Weghorst even with all the constraints.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Ole got CL football 2 seasons in a row. The others didnt.

Ole is gone. We spent 220m since he left. We should be doing better than basically matching what he achieved plus a league cup.

mu4c_20le

We overpaid on Antony because we went in late and dragged the deal out. Not on ETH.

If we'd have gone in earlier in the summer it would have been less.
Well, he could've said no at that point, and we sign or loan Danjuma instead

Berbaclass

Calmed down after that frustrating second half.

I think the first half was brilliant. Many positive things to take from that.

I'm sort of willing at this stage of the season after the run we've had to put that down to a bit of fatigue. Lost control and momentum when Eriksen went off and even then Bruno should have put the game to bed.

Really happy with the season we've had and the progress made and really excited for next year.

galwayfa

Like ETH but without Rashford peaking, we would be 4 or 5 places lower in saying that, a good striker be a few places up.