Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

bringbackbebe

Can someone who saw the interview explain what Ten Hag meant by this please?
"One year ago we did a benchmark and there were only five players above £60m," he said.

"Now you see all over many clubs investing high rates in their squads. The competition is very tough in the Premier League but we are happy with the squad we constructed."
Did he mean only 5 players our squad were worth more than £60m?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Not sure without context, i think he meant last season there are only 5-6 players who cost more than 60 Million in PL or in that summer.

Have to check if it's true.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

I would imagine he meant within the PL. I cant think of 5 players within the United squad that would be worth more than 60mil. Rashford, Bruno, Garnashers only.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I'm also curious what this benchmarking exercise was about. Did they look at player values across top clubs to get a sense of what it would cost to compile a United squad of Ten Hag's liking together?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
"One year ago we did a benchmark and there were only five players above £60m," he said.

"Now you see all over many clubs investing high rates in their squads. The competition is very tough in the Premier League but we are happy with the squad we constructed."
I think he meant only five players moved for over 60 million but there were six...unless the threshold is above 60 in which case we'd consider Casemiro at 70m.

Wesley Fofana to Chesea £75m
Richarlison to Tottenham, £60m
Darwin Nunez to Liverpool, £85m
Casemiro to United, £60m
Anthony to United, £86m
Isak to Newcastle, £63m

Last edited:

bringbackbebe

Not sure without context, i think he meant last season there are only 5-6 players who cost more than 60 Million in PL or in that summer.

Have to check if it's true.
This looks to be true

DateNameMoving fromMoving toFee
1 September 2022AntonyAjaxManchester United£82m
22 August 2022CasemiroReal MadridManchester United£70m
31 August 2022Wesley FofanaLeicester CityChelsea£70m
14 June 2022Darwin NúñezBenficaLiverpool£64m
1 July 2022Richarlison (sale)EvertonTottenham Hotspur£60m
5 August 2022Marc CucurellaBrighton & Hove AlbionChelsea£60m
26 August 2022Alexander IsakReal SociedadNewcastle United£60m

But then again, there's only about 5 transfers > 60m this time around as well (maybe add Caicedo to this to make it 6)

DateNameMoving fromMoving toFee
15 July 2023Declan RiceWest Ham UnitedArsenal£105m
12 August 2023Harry Kane (sale)Tottenham HotspurBayern Munich£95m
5 August 2023Joško GvardiolRB LeipzigManchester City£77m
5 August 2023Rasmus HøjlundAtalantaManchester United£72m
28 June 2023Kai HavertzChelseaArsenal£65m
2 July 2023Dominik SzoboszlaiRB LeipzigLiverpool£60m

If it was just fact of transfer fee, there'd be no need to benchmark as such, so it got me a little curious.

I would imagine he meant within the PL. I cant think of 5 players within the United squad that would be worth more than 60mil. Rashford, Bruno, Garnashers only.
This was a year back, so unlikely Garnacho was included back then. Rashford had a terrible season before that. Bruno was probably the only one in that range although he probably had DVB and Martial pushing him for that spot.

Last edited:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Until Rashford shows consistency over consecutive seasons, I reckon he'll be around the 60-65 mil mark not any higher. He is still a gamble signing for most teams unlike say someone like Harry Kane.

Alias

roonster09

Scout

I'm also curious what this benchmarking exercise was about. Did they look at player values across top clubs to get a sense of what it would cost to compile a United squad of Ten Hag's liking together?
From a transfer fee perspective there were 6 current players signed for over £60m one year ago:

Martial
Bruno
Casemiro
Sancho
Maguire
Antony

Source:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/transferrekorde/wettbewerb/GB1

I assume that's what he means.
It's about PL spending, here is the video of his PC.

roonster09

Scout
Until Rashford shows consistency over consecutive seasons, I reckon he'll be around the 60-65 mil mark not any higher. He is still a gamble signing for most teams unlike say someone like Harry Kane.
Rashford 60-65 million? :lol:

Judas

Open to offers
We've just bought a child who in comparison has done nothing in the game for around that money? What a silly thing to say :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Fecking hell, a player that scored 30 goals and got 11 assists last season is only worth £65m. Where can we find more players like this at the same price? Asking for a friend called Erik.

CG1010

Thank God you are not in charge of transfers at the club.

AndySmith1990

Taking in to account the insane transfer fees being paid these days, Rashford would easily demand £150m+

podurban2

60-65 mil :lol:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Rashford is 25 and a proven goalscorer at a huge club in a tough league. We'd not listen to offers below 125 million even if we did want to sell him.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Fecking hell, a player that scored 30 goals and got 11 assists last season is only worth £65m. Where can we find more players like this at the same price? Asking for a friend called Erik.
You’re right and therein lies the problem with modern day football and player valuations. One amazing season out of several mediocre seasons and Rashford’s value sky rockets.

Eddy_JukeZ

Caicedo just went for 110-115m and you think Rashford would go for 60-65 mil.

It's insane how some of our own fans underrate some of our best players.

Eddy_JukeZ

You’re right and therein lies the problem with modern day football and player valuations. One amazing season out of several mediocre seasons and Rashford’s value sky rockets.
Rashford literally had 1 mediocre season. What are you even on about?

His 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 season were very good. His 2021-2022 season was terrible, but then he bounced back with his best season.

Where are these several mediocre seasons?

You're acting as if he's been terrible and had 1 outlier season.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Caicedo just went for 110-115m and you think Rashford would go for 60-65 mil.

It's insane how some of our own fans underrate some of our best players.
I see your point. Rashford is a decent player for the most part (despite moments of inconsistency) but I struggle to see how he’d recreate last season’s form and I’d also struggle to put him in the same category as Haaland and Mbappe .

And if we sell him eventually for over 130mil then as a fan I’d be delighted that we’ve made a solid profit.

A player’s value actually says very little about their real world quality it seems.Perhaps, I need to keep up with the times!

El Zoido

I see your point. Rashford is a decent player for the most part (despite moments of inconsistency) but I struggle to see how he’d recreate last season’s form and I’d also struggle to put him in the same category as Haaland and Mbappe .

And if we sell him eventually for over 130mil then as a fan I’d be delighted that we’ve made a solid profit.

A player’s value actually says very little about their real world quality it seems.Perhaps, I need to keep up with the times!
Madness, Rashford is one of the most valuable players in the world. You have to consider as well that the marketability of footballers also comes in to the equation. He would sell for a world record fee, all things considered (ability, age, marketability, brand, current contract length, etc).

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Madness, Rashford is one of the most valuable players in the world. You have to consider as well that the marketability of footballers also comes in to the equation. He would sell for a world record fee, all things considered (ability, age, marketability, brand, current contract length, etc).
Fair point.

roonster09

Scout
Actually this is the problem with modern day football fans, memory of a goldfish.

He has scored or assisted 35+ goals in 3 out of 4 seasons, that kind of productive player won't be sold for 60 Million.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s done some brilliant work so far, and has instilled discipline and structure to the playing side that had been lacking before. I don’t think it’s been unbridled perfection though, and I have some question marks regarding his transfer strategy but most importantly - you can’t be seen as one of the very top coaches until your team can make loads of chances and score loads of goals. The days of being a heralded coach at the very top of the game by organising your team well and being hard to beat are gone. As they say, ‘the hardest thing in football is scoring goals’.

Klopp, Guardiola and Arteta have all built teams that are free scoring. Our team gets progressively worse the further forward we go from back to front. We can build play well from the back, and we will likely be even better in that aspect now - but what we do once the ball gets to the front is not even near the level of a top side. That’s the next challenge for Ten Hag and will determine just how good he is as a coach/manager. Can his team score 80+ league goals? 58 is far from good enough, and if that is repeated this term, I think he’ll still be considered behind the very elite. Can we see a weak PL team and put 5 or 6 past them?

Skills

Snitch
He’s done some brilliant work so far, and has instilled discipline and structure to the playing side that had been lacking before. I don’t think it’s been unbridled perfection though, and I have some question marks regarding his transfer strategy but most importantly - you can’t be seen as one of the very top coaches until your team can make loads of chances and score loads of goals. The days of being a heralded coach at the very top of the game by organising your team well and being hard to beat are gone. As they say, ‘the hardest thing in football is scoring goals’.

Klopp, Guardiola and Arteta have all built teams that are free scoring. Our team gets progressively worse the further forward we go from back to front. We can build play well from the back, and we will likely be even better in that aspect now - but what we do once the ball gets to the front is not even near the level of a top side. That’s the next challenge for Ten Hag and will determine just how good he is as a coach/manager. Can his team score 80+ league goals? 58 is far from good enough, and if that is repeated this term, I think he’ll still be considered behind the very elite. Can we see a weak PL team and put 5 or 6 past them?
Good post. Unfortunately, I don't think that issue will be resolved until Antony stops being a deadweight in an attack or we move on from him. I can't see us doing that for at least another 2 seasons because of the amount of money we've been made to spend on him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good post. Unfortunately, I don't think that issue will be resolved until Antony stops being a deadweight in an attack or we move on from him. I can't see us doing that for at least another 2 seasons because of the amount of money we've been made to spend on him.
And if that happens to be the case then it is a direct blot against Ten Hag and one of the reasons I will hold him just below the elite. Antony wasn’t forced upon him, if he can’t get him to the level required then it’s on him, and also a question of his recruitment strategy, which has shown a clear bias to players he knows from the Eridevise.

I’ve been harsh on Antony, and I have serious doubts, but I’ve not totally written him off yet. The signs are not encouraging though, for me. I’m not sure he has the tools first and foremost.

Telsim

Well, this is it. Ten Hag has received time and investment most other managers can only dream of. He got many of the players he wanted. There can be no more excuses and the time to deliver is at hand. Comfortable Top 5, a vastly improved and competent football leading to a lot more goals, and an end to the seasonal humiliations at the hands of rival teams are my expectations for this season. And I believe they are fair. Fall short of this and this could get hairy for him before long.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Well, this is it. Ten Hag has received time and investment most other managers can only dream of. He got many of the players he wanted. There can be no more excuses and the time to deliver is at hand. Comfortable Top 5, a vastly improved and competent football leading to a lot more goals, and an end to the seasonal humiliations at the hands of rival teams are my expectations for this season. And I believe they are fair. Fall short of this and this could get hairy for him before long.
He delivered last year by comfortably finishing top 4 and winning a trophy.

crossy1686

career ending
:lol: One season! Rashfords career goals for United is 139, you know what Rooney’s is? 183! And I don’t think I need to remind you that Rooney is United’s all time leading goal scorer.

How can a ‘one season wonder’ possibly have 139 goals for United? Work that one out.

Telsim

He delivered last year by comfortably finishing top 4 and winning a trophy.
True. But this season is gearing up to be very competitive, and if we perform like last season chances are we might not make it. And there's also the Champions League. An improvement is mandatory and expected.

r0663664

Worships Man City

Arteta??? How many years has he been a manager? Too much credit given.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
True. But this season is gearing up to be very competitive, and if we perform like last season chances are we might not make it. And there's also the Champions League. An improvement is mandatory and expected.
Improvement in what sense? If we finish 3rd again and win a trophy it’ll be a good season. Like you say - the competition is fierce this year.

E-mal

Rashford 60-65 million? :lol:
Funny isn't it? I reckon we won't be accepting even 150m for him if those no names midfielders are going for obscene amount and we just signed a teenager who is yet to have a breakout season for 72m.