Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

UTD_Since_1978

It seems to happen to every manager right near the end.

They start to come out with complete bullshit, they start bigging up their own individual records and throwing the players and Utd's history under the bus. Bringing up the 2004/5 season a few days ago and falsely claiming we'd never made back to back FA Cup finals.

Heads gone.
You what?

1994, 1995 & 1996.

Mickson

Probably the most annoying thing out of this period is I got banned several times just for being negative about the guy, just to be proven absolutely right about him later on. No one will get me these needless warning points back.

Not like I want to post on RedCafe again after the way I was treated here but it's funny how out of all our post Ferguson coach, I got banned for being negative about the worst of them all.

Oh well, just wanted to say that, which will probably be the last time I ever post here.
I remember being banned for being negative about Ole. I feel you, because EtH is even worse. This season is remarkable bad.

Teja

It's actually kinda hilarious how many of our issues pastor Fred bandaided. The moment he's gone our defence is more exposed than ever.

I think without Fred we don't come close to the CL last year.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
At this rate Tuchel doesn't look a bad idea, just make it a 2 year contract and not 3.
He looks like a terrible idea. You'll be howling for his blood by Christmas. What's the point?

Of course ETH can't survive this. But we need someone constructive next.

Salford_Red83

Dalot isn't very good at left back, Dalot isn't very good at right back either but it's his natural position

AWB is shit.

You're likely to gain more by playing Dalot in his ideal position rather than making Dalot worse by sticking him on the left back when you know what you're getting with AWB.

Also, another factor here is that Antony depends more on having someone like Dalot playing with him than Garnacho.

People are acting as if it's a dumb as feck decision and an absolute no brainer to swap things around. People are morons.
I'm genuinely not Dalots biggest fan but honestly mate you're just talking nonsense.

Dalot is quite versatile and can play particularly well at LB. Obviously his best position is at RB but he's competent enough to cover at LB and has played there a fair few times.

AwB is not shit, he is 100% a RB and is pretty solid there. He's been tried a few times in a position he really is poor in, he's not very interchangable to LB as has been demonstrated over and over and over again.

He can be caught out of position but he's a better defender at RB than Dalot is at RB in all honesty.

Also, the thing about Antony depending on Dalot, if that's the case and you play Dalot at LB then don't play Antony. Play Amad on the right or Garnacho, both are much better there than Antony anyway.

Or if you just HAVE to play Antony because he's you're golden child then play him on the left with Dalot.

Just try something different instead of the same thing that EVERYONE can see doesn't work.

People are acting as if it's a dumb as feck decision and an absolute no brainer to swap things around. People are morons.
This comment is quite rude to be honest, people are not morons for seeing what is quite obviously a flaw in decision making. It is a dumb as feck decision not to swap them over and manoeuvre the players around to get the best out of what you have available.

It is just another example of how shit ETH is at his job.

tjb

When you hire a manager, the manager's job is to prove to the fans and owners that they can get the team playing well enough for the team to trust them long term. Every club uses this model, except United. For us, we reverse it. We ask managers to prove definitively that they don't deserve the job. Even when they do, we make excuses and wait till we've completely destroyed our season ( and player's confidence) before deciding to kick terrible managers out. Even then, we still make excuses for them and have people in the media blaming the players ( who are always mostly new) for causing the sacking of another poor manager. It's a cycle and it actually begins and ends with the managers we hire and how we treat them. From not properly supervising them, to giving them control of transfers, to always backing them against players....we keep sticking to this British tradition of being pro-manager. There's a reason no English manager has won the Premier League, from their punditry its quite clear that they don't know what it takes to actually be a good manager, which is why this charade hasn't been called out as much as it should have been. Ten Haag should have been sacked in November. The Champions League failure in addition to his lack of good performances from August to November should have been enough at any other top club. Any other club would have at least sacked him by the end of December. Yet here we are with another wasted season with people arguing whether he should stay another season. It's utterly disgraceful that people can be ok with that. How can you give someone more time when they're costing you so much. We don't owe him anything. I don't know why people keeping acting like managers are owed something. It's this shameless lack of urgency that's costing us.

Some fans are lamenting our squads being like Frankenstein with different types of players. Well, its that way because we wasted time and money bad managers who do not ever have to prove themselves. So by the time the crap manager has spent wads of cash on trash, we're in a situation where the next manager carry's over some of the trash. Us keeping the managers for so long and giving poor managers who don't show good football time is the exact reason we end up with a bad squad. People, including United fan media, need to start being honest and calling out bad managers when they see them. With United, it feels like everyone is always trying to coddle and protect our managers, when its quite clear we are the ones needing protecting from some of the ones we've hired.

mancsarered

Out of his depth. Finished. And the fact that he's so lifeless on the touchline as it happens makes me sick.

C'est Moi Cantona

I doubt it'll happen, but tomorrow will be the first time I'll be checking the news half expecting to see that he has been sacked.

I'd imagine the Glazers would have pulled he trigger by now, it's just a case if Ineos think it's worth it so close the season end, which it probably isn't tbf.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Getting a better manager? feck uou mean “what’s the point”
We either build a coherent club where the coach falls in line with the overall strategy designed to succeed across a decade. Or we bring in another Jose screaming at everyone for a short term sugar rush of results. Who then doesn't get what he wants, fails and get sacked. Same old merry go round. It doesn't work.

Baxquux

It's actually kinda hilarious how many of our issues pastor Fred bandaided. The moment he's gone our defence is more exposed than ever.

I think without Fred we don't come close to the CL last year.
Truth, and I wasn't even opposed to his sale. You'd have thought someone on the technical side noticed what he offered and argued that we needed to upgrade on rather than completely lose that category of dynamic, aggressive player who can also move the ball on quickly. For his faults, Fred was better than McT, who we kept onto, for that, and obviously much better at pressing and recovery than Casemiro/Eriksen these days. Since Mainoo isn't the quickest and is still building up his physical profile, that midfield looks as sluggish as any since the days when Matic and Mata were playing together at times in the 3 under Jose.

stevoc

Very rare for a manager to walk away from a sacking pay-off. But I wonder if he's thought walking before he's pushed.

Waynne

"Look at our backline..."

You know what, if I'm a defender or sub defender in that squad tonight I'm swinging for him after hearing that. What a twat.

Imagine being Amass sat there listening to that... "listen this back line is shit and I'm not even going to bother giving you a shot even though you are the only one who plays in a position we have no fit players in."

Why would anyone want to play for him after hearing him say that, he needs to be gone yesterday.
I agree but I'm tired boss.

I'm tired of this club continuing to fail. Its been a decade of continued failure.

Waynne

Rightly so, they should all be ashamed. They all gotta go and he should follow them too
There are a few that should follow him out the door i agree. The new INEOS appointed staff have a HUGE job on their hands but im confident with time that they'll get things right. Its a damn shame its taken a decade to get these building blocks into place.

frostbite

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c3g52nee9rwo

'Under performing' Man Utd 'one of worst coached teams in league'

• This is the most defeats United have suffered in a Premier League season (13)
  • United have never finished below seventh in Premier League, they are currently eighth.
  • Since the start of last season, only Nottingham Forest (five) have lost more Premier League away games by a four-goal margin or higher than United (three).
  • The Selhurst Park thrashing was United’s heaviest defeat of the season
  • United have conceded 81 goals in all competitions this season, their most in a campaign since 1976-77 (also 81).
  • They have not finished a season on a minus goal difference since the 1989-90 Division One season. They are currently on -1.
  • United’s expected goals on Monday was 0.35 – their second worst of the season

C'est Moi Cantona

• United have never finished below seventh in Premier League, they are currently eighth.
  • Since the start of last season, only Nottingham Forest (five) have lost more Premier League away games by a four-goal margin or higher than United (three).
  • United have conceded 81 goals in all competitions this season, their most in a campaign since 1976-77 (also 81).
  • They have not finished a season on a minus goal difference since the 1989-90 Division One season. They are currently on -1.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
I'm genuinely not Dalots biggest fan but honestly mate you're just talking nonsense.

Dalot is quite versatile and can play particularly well at LB. Obviously his best position is at RB but he's competent enough to cover at LB and has played there a fair few times.

AwB is not shit, he is 100% a RB and is pretty solid there. He's been tried a few times in a position he really is poor in, he's not very interchangable to LB as has been demonstrated over and over and over again.

He can be caught out of position but he's a better defender at RB than Dalot is at RB in all honesty.

Also, the thing about Antony depending on Dalot, if that's the case and you play Dalot at LB then don't play Antony. Play Amad on the right or Garnacho, both are much better there than Antony anyway.

Or if you just HAVE to play Antony because he's you're golden child then play him on the left with Dalot.

Just try something different instead of the same thing that EVERYONE can see doesn't work.

This comment is quite rude to be honest, people are not morons for seeing what is quite obviously a flaw in decision making. It is a dumb as feck decision not to swap them over and manoeuvre the players around to get the best out of what you have available.

It is just another example of how shit ETH is at his job.
It's a long long time since AWB was close to being solid at rb.

Not sure why you're referring to Antony as some sort of golden child considering the amount of times he's been overlooked and subbed, or why you're pretending Amad to be some obvious answer to our problems.

The point is quite simple, every time you stick Dalot on the left back with AWB on the right you get the exact same comments on how it's absolute madness, how they should swap position, ETH is a moron for not seeing it. It's always easy and simple.

But it's not that simple, it's not an obvious flaw in decision making. AWB isn't a close to being a good rb, Dalot is a much better right back, so instead of a half cooked solution where both players are underperforming you hope that the team will benefit from having Dalot, who is overall a better player, in his preferred position, both from an attacking and defensive perspective.

Salford_Red83

Not sure why you're referring to Antony as some sort of golden child considering the amount of times he's been overlooked and subbed, or why you're pretending Amad to be some obvious answer to our problems.

The point is quite simple, every time you stick Dalot on the left back with AWB on the right you get the exact same comments on how it's absolute madness, how they should swap position, ETH is a moron for not seeing it. It's always easy and simple.

But it's not that simple, it's not an obvious flaw in decision making. AWB isn't a close to being a good rb, Dalot is a much better right back, so instead of a half cooked solution where both players are underperforming you hope that the team will benefit from having Dalot, who is overall a better player, in his preferred position, both from an attacking and defensive perspective.
Ok mate, if you say so

stevoc

Absolutely no chance of that, he’s too stubborn and deluded to think it’s on him.
Yeah but he also seems to have a very big ego. Could he take a sacking on the chin?

I don't think he'll walk either, too much money on the line these days. Very few have enough about them to resign.

stevoc

And yet Ten Hag keeps swapping them round.

Winrar

We're only year 2 into ETH's 10 year process of getting us to become a club that regularly finishes Top4-5. We're still in the process of getting our structure right, and without it we can't possibly hope to finish our seasons with positive GD and higher than a 8th place finish. Not to mention we can't play football with all the injuries we have.

Be patient, guys. Sir Alex didn't start winning the league until 7th year in charge and everyone wanted him out in the 89/90 season. The rest is history.

White text, just in case I need it here.

Baxquux

When you hire a manager, the manager's job is to prove to the fans and owners that they can get the team playing well enough for the team to trust them long term. Every club uses this model, except United. For us, we reverse it. We ask managers to prove definitively that they don't deserve the job. Even when they do, we make excuses and wait till we've completely destroyed our season ( and player's confidence) before deciding to kick terrible managers out. Even then, we still make excuses for them and have people in the media blaming the players ( who are always mostly new) for causing the sacking of another poor manager. It's a cycle and it actually begins and ends with the managers we hire and how we treat them. From not properly supervising them, to giving them control of transfers, to always backing them against players....we keep sticking to this British tradition of being pro-manager. There's a reason no English manager has won the Premier League, from their punditry its quite clear that they don't know what it takes to actually be a good manager, which is why this charade hasn't been called out as much as it should have been. Ten Haag should have been sacked in November. The Champions League failure in addition to his lack of good performances from August to November should have been enough at any other top club. Any other club would have at least sacked him by the end of December. Yet here we are with another wasted season with people arguing whether he should stay another season. It's utterly disgraceful that people can be ok with that. How can you give someone more time when they're costing you so much. We don't owe him anything. I don't know why people keeping acting like managers are owed something. It's this shameless lack of urgency that's costing us.

Some fans are lamenting our squads being like Frankenstein with different types of players. Well, its that way because we wasted time and money bad managers who do not ever have to prove themselves. So by the time the crap manager has spent wads of cash on trash, we're in a situation where the next manager carry's over some of the trash. Us keeping the managers for so long and giving poor managers who don't show good football time is the exact reason we end up with a bad squad. People, including United fan media, need to start being honest and calling out bad managers when they see them. With United, it feels like everyone is always trying to coddle and protect our managers, when its quite clear we are the ones needing protecting from some of the ones we've hired.
You're right,I think.PL as a whole is pretty forgiving in terms of giving managers time (if not so much in terms of its general demands on players): upper mid-table clubs in other european leagues don't seem anything like as patient, let alone the likes of Madrid etc. This does let mediocrity slide more than it should. But United are probably the worst of all for this, fuelled largely by the abject governance/oversight structure headed by those ghoulish failchildren. INEOS coming in has clearly begun to chnage certain things in terms of structure and people with track record of competency, but i'm still worried that they're going to be too lenient, seduced by 'a process', as well as being 'cool-headed rather than hasty and not throwing money after bad money' and all of SJR's messaging to that effect, to their and fans' detriment. The structure should be more important - but you still need someone with basic competencies to implement the coaching side - ETH was at least that - 'competent'- on paper but he seems to have regressed since last March, injuries or not.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Have we got any chance of dropping to 17th in the xG table? I know we’re currently 16th (just double checked and we've actually managed to jump up a few places to 14th). For context that’s relegation level bad, we’re statistically one of the worst teams in the league.