Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm watching, there were two defenders in line with Haaland looking to play him offside and ignoring his run!
It's quite crazy the defending though isn't it - maybe that's why attacking players like Jovic, Dembele, Kagawa, Mkhitarayan, Sane, Pulisic haven't really set the world alight when moving to a different league - only really Firmino & Aubemeyang has.

I do wonder if players like Sancho & Haaland are going to get stats like the bundesliga playing in the PL the more I watch the bundesliga. It was the same when people watched a match for the first time tk have a glimpse to see Bruno Fernandes - they were shocked at the tactics and lack of quality. The attack in the bundesliga seem to be good but the defence and especially the fullbacks seem non existent in the bundesliga.

Still good young players though.

Slaxx

To become challengers again we need some players in that exceeds expectations and take your whole team to a next level like Suarez to Liverpool did, Ronaldo to us, .. And this was probably a very big chance we were close to, but still missed in the end. Every goal he scores (and that wil be a lot) feels like a missed opportunity. Can see him go to Madrid or City in 18 months. Seems like the perfect replacement for either Aguero or Benzema.

Reactions: Invictus

RoyH1

I'm sure he would have done if we would have matched the offer but nah we are MUFC and we do shit our way.

Tevez it is.
I'm saying this with the utmost respect. Why would he? At this moment in time, what makes us so special that he would prefer us over Borussia? They have better management, scouting and are loaded with young talent. Yes, Ole is his compatriot and they get along swimmingly, but he seems like a smart boy and the move to Borussia is already paying off. In a couple of seasons he'll be able to leave to a club of his own choosing, win the CL and earn a phenomenal amount of money.
Let's hope that by then we're a club that's appealing for the very best of players.

GledTheRed

I'm saying this with the utmost respect. Why would he? At this moment in time, what makes us so special that he would prefer us over Borussia? They have better management, scouting and are loaded with young talent. Yes, Ole is his compatriot and they get along swimmingly, but he seems like a smart boy and the move to Borussia is already paying off. In a couple of seasons he'll be able to leave to a club of his own choosing, win the CL and earn a phenomenal amount of money.
Let's hope that by then we're a club that's appealing for the very best of players.
All that makes sense yes however he would have fecked them off in a heartbeat if we had have offered him more wages. We should have pulled out all the stops for him at 17 million quid with our lack of forwards. Another massive feck up in the transfer market, BVB simply got in their first and turned his head whilst we sat around like the incompetent cnuts we are only dashing out last minute trying to pursued him to change his mind.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Eriling Haaland has more goals for BvB in 1 hour of play than Alexis Sanchez has for Manchester United.

I am significantly butthurt.

izec

Find it funny that people think we dismissed him. Maybe he rejected us anyway.

Coming on against tired defences is a bit unfair. At this rate, he will score 40 goals for the season. If he keeps injury free, he will win the golden boot, and i am not joking.

Paul_Scholes18

Find it funny that people think we dismissed him. Maybe he rejected us anyway.

Coming on against tired defences is a bit unfair. At this rate, he will score 40 goals for the season. If he keeps injury free, he will win the golden boot, and i am not joking.
No way is he going to average 2 goals per game all season. If he gets 1 goal average then that is great.

TommiHelm

So many negative Nancies focusing on the "bad" defending, again. That second goal was world class. He ran from his own box . He sprinted at 33,1 km/h pace to knock it past the keeper. Took 1 brilliant touch, and just placed it controlled from a super tight angle (probably at close to max heart rate). If Rashford did anything like that (even against Tranmere), you'd be jizzing your pants.

Mainoldo

100 agree he wouldn’t have scored a goal yet for us, unless we got a penalty.

Alabaster Codify7

Hype job that we didnt need anyway.

Fecking state of some comments on this forum. Haaland would waltz into our 11 and be our top scorer by April.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Good thing we took a stand (as we‘re led to believe)...
There's actually a good reason for this.

Haaland had a £20m release clause. We know this since the club confirmed it.
Haaland now has a £50m release clause active in 2023. We know this because BvB does not deny it, and it's been reported by tier 1 journos.

The alternative we had was to sign Haaland, and be forced to sell him in 2023 for £50m if Haaland decides he wants to be a Real Madrid player, effectively turning Manchester United into a farming club.

I am bitter as hell that he's not playing here, but there is a extremely good reason we did not agree to the release clause.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He could score a bazillion goals but if the rumours are true that Raiola and his dad wanted a share of his future transfer whilst also writing a release clause into the deal that comes into effect in two years time, it would have been crazy to concede to that.

izec

No way is he going to average 2 goals per game all season. If he gets 1 goal average then that is great.
If he keeps on coming from the bench with his energy... he scored 5 in 2 against midtable sides. 15 goals to go until he catches Werner or Lewandowski. Highly unlikely, but in the current form, he is ridiculous. He will have more than 20 goals by the end of the season, that's for sure. Dortmund will provide him with many chances, they usually feck up a lot. Halaand scores more than he misses, he is what they needed to convert those.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Ha. There was a poster saying hed get 40plus in the bundesliga on here im sure.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Haaland now has a £50m release clause active in 2023. We know this because BvB does not deny it, and it's been reported by tier 1 journos.

The alternative we had was to sign Haaland, and be forced to sell him in 2023 for £50m if Haaland decides he wants to be a Real Madrid player, effectively turning Manchester United into a farming club.

I am bitter as hell that he's not playing here, but there is a extremely good reason we did not agree to the release clause.
While I agree on this, would have been much better to have him for 2 years rather than getting linked with Ighalo.
2 years is a pretty long period and so many things can happen by then

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Unbelievable that we rejected him. Ole cant be trusted in the market. Even if we had him for two season, that will still be good.

Unless, Woodward knows we have a better chance of landing him without any crazy contract stipulation with Pochettino in charge two years from now. Since Pochettino is known for his player development. Then I am willing to wait.

DBT85

Unbelievable that we rejected him. Ole cant be trusted in the market. Even if we had him for two season, that will still be good.

Unless, Woodward knows we have a better chance of landing him without any crazy contract stipulation with Pochettino in charge two years from now. Since Pochettino is known for his player development. Then I am willing to wait.
Have you considered that maybe he rejected us and that just maybe Woodwards pr dept did its usual.

Can anyone really say honestly that he didn't pick the best choice for his development?

OverratedOpinion

He could score a bazillion goals but if the rumours are true that Raiola and his dad wanted a share of his future transfer whilst also writing a release clause into the deal that comes into effect in two years time, it would have been crazy to concede to that.
This is true, there are a lot of great players that we can't have for all sorts of reasons and it isn't worth worrying about. Electric start with Dortmund though, fair play to the lad.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
You'll notice Real, Barca, PSG, City, none of the rich teams were in for him. Why? He clearly wants to be at a stepping stone club now, and establish himself as an irresistible first choice before joining a top club. Thus the demand for a low release clause.

We don't want to be a stepping stone club. But we do want to be in for him when he leaves Dortmund.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Is he similar to how Ruud always managed to get into good scoring position?
Sort of yeah, but he has more to his game than Ruud. Particularly his movement in counter attacks is unique I’d say, he’s always positioned incredibly well when a ball is played into space ahead of him, just behind the last defender so he isn’t offside, and he has pace and power to beat pretty much every defender. He’s also incredibly lethal with his shooting (obviously).

He’s always looking for space to run into, more so than any other striker I can think of. Constantly on the move with diagonal runs just to create space for himself. A proper nightmare for defenders.

arthurka

You guys will all have a quick reminder why Utd shouldn't but him when Riola decides to move him in a couple of years.

RRCE

He snubbed us. Simple as that.

The idea that we didn’t sign him because he might have a release clause activated in 2023 is laughable. Even when we were an elite club, we sold players to Real Madrid. Moreover, given the club’s current state, it’s abundantly reasonable that one of the hottest prospects in world football would want an out built into his contract. His agent has been trying to find a way out for Pogba for two seasons now. Why would Holland want to be similarly situated if the team continues to regress? If you don’t want players to leave, act like a big club and build a winning program.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Absolutely fantastic player.
And unlike Alcacer who started similar for Dortmund, I can see Haaland keeping this form because he is not as injury prone.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the Bundesliga season. Dortmund got Haaland and Leipzig got Olmo. It will be really hard for Bayern to win the league this year.

But to be totally honest, I'm at a point where I prefer an exciting and intense league, maybe also at the cost of another team winning the league, to the 8th consecutive title for Bayern that is already secured in April.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Have you considered that maybe he rejected us and that just maybe Woodwards pr dept did its usual.

Can anyone really say honestly that he didn't pick the best choice for his development?
There were rumors out here that stated we rejected him because of the stipulation were he could be sold for 60m in two years.

The best choice would be United. We have better training facilities, sport equipment and coaches....Yea, maybe you are right. At this moment, he might have rejected us..But, still our manager is Norwegian and Haland is Norwegian..That must account for something when trying to lure his attention

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's quite crazy the defending though isn't it - maybe that's why attacking players like Jovic, Dembele, Kagawa, Mkhitarayan, Sane, Pulisic haven't really set the world alight when moving to a different league - only really Firmino & Aubemeyang has.

I do wonder if players like Sancho & Haaland are going to get stats like the bundesliga playing in the PL the more I watch the bundesliga. It was the same when people watched a match for the first time tk have a glimpse to see Bruno Fernandes - they were shocked at the tactics and lack of quality. The attack in the bundesliga seem to be good but the defence and especially the fullbacks seem non existent in the bundesliga.

Still good young players though.
It's the 87th minute, the opposition is a newly promoted side who is rushing back from a free kick and it took 15 seconds from Bürki's hand to the ball crossing the goal line and you try to draw conclusions about a whole league. Not to mention some of your examples, like Dembele, whose main problem is that he seemingly can't go three weeks straight without a muscle injury, Pulisic who struggled to overcome Bruun Larsen and Sane, whose best season in Bundesliga saw him score 8 goals and get 6 assists.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Watching him play makes me realize how far away Martial is from being a top class striker. Their movement off the ball couldn’t be more different.

Rakaposhi

Supports
Fortuna Düsseldorf
He will be at Dortmund for a year or one and a half at the most. The lowish release clause will not be relevant at that time and they will sell him for a fortune.
He will score loads of goals for them in the meantime.
Looks like Dortmund are doing smart business again.

Fredrik.A

Of course I understand that buyout clauses have negative consequences for clubs and I also fully understand that elite clubs are willing to pay higher wages in order to compensate players for not having one. However, I'm speaking of this particular case, not the general one.

For me, your arguments ultimately come down to pride and pride is generally speaking a bad advisor when doing business. Assuming that Haaland generally preferred you over Dortmund, the choice for you was between signing him with a buyout option or not signing him at all. You guys think "we're Manchester United. Barcelona and Madrid don't grant players buyout clauses and we are also a big club, so why should we?" when you should actually be asking "why can Madrid and Barcelona sign those players without clauses and we can't?"I know it's a bitter pill to swallow but at the very moment, you don't have this third option of paying higher wages and not grant buyout clauses at all anymore. You are all like "Dortmund is a selling club, we aren't" when the whole point of being a "selling club" is that you develop players of a quality you otherwise wouldn't get your hands on. And that's exactly the problem you're having: The elite isn't willing to sign for you any longer. If a player nowadays plans his career, you aren't his ultimate destination. You may be considered as an intermediate stop but not the club he wants to spend his prime years at. Acting like a top club doesn't automatically make you one. Imagine a random small club would just copy that behaviour and in negotiations with a highly promising youngster would say "no, we won't give you a buyout clause. Sign for us without one or sign for someone else." This would just come across as silly. You can only play that card when you actually have the position of strength necessary for it and United IMO lacks this international standing.

In essence, you are still acting like you're one of the absolute top clubs when you actually aren't any longer. My point is that instead of refusing reality you should accept your current position and think of a way to regain your previous status. And for that, Haaland would've been a great signing. You argue "we develop him for 2 years and then he signs for City and Liverpool? Nah." but you'd have sorted out your striker problems for 2.5 years with a guy who's already good enough to lead the line at a top club and guarantee you 20+ goals a season and if he eventually leaves then this sends a signal into the world that improves your reputation as a good place to develop for young players. And in the meantime of those 2.5 years you'd have time to scout a successor for Haaland without pressure. And if he really leaves for one of your biggest rivals, what's the problem? If he goes there after spending 1.5 or 2.5 years at Dortmund, you'll get the same result.

So in the end, all of your issues with this deal are of symbolic nature. I don't get this kind of thinking. Imagine for once that you applied the same strategic approach Dortmund is currently applying. Take a step back, build up a young, talented squad and sign players like Hakimi, Sancho, Haaland, Brandt, Dembele, etc. and don't block their development by having (or signing) experienced players in your squad that may be just a little bit better right now but ultimately have a much lower ceiling. Over 1-2 years, you'd assemble an extremely talented squad with a great promising player in every position, pretty much like Dortmund has now. The only difference is, you have the financial prowess Dortmund lacks. That means you have much better chances of actually retaining those players. Imagine Dortmund could go into negotiations with Sancho, offer twice his salary and say that the strategy for the upcoming years is to hold this squad together, spend big on another two or three top stars and ultimately challenge for big titles. You certainly could. Of course one or two of those players would still leave but that doesn't matter, a club can compensate that. Liverpool also lost Coutinho who seemed irreplaceable for quite a while. And they lost Sterling to City. That's part of the business, everyone has to go through it.

Thing is, you want to make the second step before the first. You want to avoid the uncomfortable part and you are doing that for far too long already, essentially making matters worse.
You do understand that both Barca and Real have buyout clauses for every single one of their players don't you? I've actually never heard of a english club ever had one

troylocker

Ha. There was a poster saying hed get 40plus in the bundesliga on here im sure.
That was me. Got pretty much heat for calling him a generational talent and that I haven’t been this excited about a young striker since R9 as well....

Would love to have him here, but not at the price of becoming a farmers club. Maybe he needed this step before making it in the PL anyway. Let’s see how fast he outgrows the Bundesliga.

BTW. Funny how some try to talk down his stats this season with tapin-merchant comments, weak defenses etc., when no one has ever delivered the output in a toptier before and he is freaking 19 (33 goals and 7 assists in 1525 minutes) . Breaking records east and west. Guess who is the first player in Bundesliga history to score 5 goals in their first two matches? Not to mention all from the bench.....

Last edited:

Jibbs

I think he would join a EPL club in 2022, it could be us, it could be City or Liverpool. Will spend 4,5 years here and then at the age of 26,27 he would go to Barca, Madrid or Juve to play the best football of his career. I think that's how they have planned.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Phew, imagine if this fecker hampered Greenwood's development or vexed Martial that there's a striker in the squad who is doing off-ball runs, dodged a bullet here.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55

I hate Raiola as much as the next guy, maybe more, and I think avoiding dealing with him is enough of a reason to avoid signing a player. However, having a release clause just means we renegotiate his contract before then if we want to keep him, and either insert a bigger release clause or do away with it. Spanish clubs have been doing it forever and it can be made to work.