Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

frostbite

The deciding factor was the release clause that Dortmund agreed to and we didn’t.
-- "What are my chances?"
-- "Not good."
-- "You mean “not good” like… one out of a hundred?"
-- "I'd say.. more like one out of a million."
(slowly reacts) "So you're telling me there's a chance? … yeah!!"

This comes to my mind every time I hear someone talk about Haaland to United. We never had a chance. City has more money. They win more trophies. And the father of this particular player was a City player and he had REALLY BAD history with Man Utd. Sure, people dismiss the father connection, but family is important, even for players that make millions (and actually Haaland will make more millions at City!). I see zero reasons for Haaland picking United over City in the past 3 years. We never had a chance.

justsomebloke

City Averaged 2.6 goals a game last year.

Granted this game was away from home, no signs so far he'll add net goals to the team.
Sorry, you're actually arguing that since they scored twice in their only game they're showing no signs of improving a season average of 2.6 goals?

one game isn't "so far". One game is nothing, considered as a data point.

phelans shorts

-- "Not good."

This comes to my mind every time I hear someone talk about Haaland to United. We never had a chance. City has more money. They win more trophies. And the father of this particular player was a City player and he had REALLY BAD history with Man Utd. Sure, people dismiss the father connection, but family is important, even for players that make millions (and actually Haaland will make more millions at City!). I see zero reasons for Haaland picking United over City in the past 3 years. We never had a chance.
Ok, as much as I love Dumb and Dumber it’s quite frankly irrelevant when talking about 2 years ago when he went to Dortmund. We refused to allow a release clause back then, City weren’t (officially at least) involved at all.

justsomebloke

-- "Not good."

And that's even leaving out all the most obvious reasons. Like he's a lifelong City fan. And they're arguably the best club side in the world. With arguably the best manager in the world.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Don't know how anyone will come close to dethroning City, its getting boring now.

Polar

City Averaged 2.6 goals a game last year.

Granted this game was away from home, no signs so far he'll add net goals to the team.
The best club have to develop in order to keep momentum and stay at top. It’s called evolution! City don’t necessarily need more “net goals”.

frostbite

Ok, as much as I love Dumb and Dumber it’s quite frankly irrelevant when talking about 2 years ago when he went to Dortmund. We refused to allow a release clause back then, City weren’t (officially at least) involved at all.
Sorry, but believing that HE WANTED to join us but WE REFUSED, for me is far beyond Dumb and Dumber, they never got so absurd in the movie!...

The Purley King

He is a machine.
Strength, speed, like a young Brasilian ronaldo.
If city work out how to use him properly that is the league done for the next couple of years.

phelans shorts

Sorry, but believing that HE WANTED to join us but WE REFUSED, for me is far beyond Dumb and Dumber, they never got so absurd in the movie!...
I never even said anything about what he wanted, it was a non starter because we refused the clause. If memory serves from the time we actually offered Raiola more than Dortmund but he was well aware that two years on he’d make X more.

For what it’s worth, I could totally see Erling turning up in one of those suits and killing a priceless bird.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He was going to be a good signing for any team he ended up signing and I prefer him going to Manchester City rather than Bayern Munich. I think there's a better chance he ends at Real Madrid this way and it's also more fun to watch him tearing teams in the premier league.

GMoore23

I doubt it.

I don’t think they care about us to come up with a cunning plan. They would have been confident of signing him even in a 10 horse race.
We beat them to both Sanchez and Maguire so they couldn't have been that confident.

Chief123

We beat them to both Sanchez and Maguire so they couldn't have been that confident.
They get the player when they want them enough.

We were in the race for Haaland despite signing Ronaldo. We still lost out to city.

Chief123

He is a machine.
If city work out how to use him properly that is the league done for the next couple of years.
He is a beast but I wouldn’t use R9 as the comparison. He’s very different to R9.

Haaland reminds me more of a young Christian Vieri. A big unit who’s a real handful with a lethal left foot.

LARulz

In 2017 MUFC was suggested a talented 16 year old they should consider purchasing when he was playing for Norwegian outfit Molde by the then Molde manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær.

They never acted on the tip.

The consequences of that is currently playing for the wrong Manchester team.

fecking phenomenal Glazers.
I agree but I think we were looking at him before Dortmund and I swear I remember reading that the clauses are what stopped us. He was a Riola client and they wanted the same buy out clause as Dortmund which most big clubs turned away from

frostbite

I never even said anything about what he wanted, it was a non starter because we refused the clause. If memory serves from the time we actually offered Raiola more than Dortmund but he was well aware that two years on he’d make X more.

For what it’s worth, I could totally see Erling turning up in one of those suits and killing a priceless bird.
If he did not want to join us, why are you mentioning "the clause" and that "we refused"?

I'd get Margot Robbie, but it was non starter because I refused to go to LA.

phelans shorts

If he did not want to join us, why are you mentioning "the clause" and that "we refused"?

Margot Robbie would join me, but it was non started because I refused to go to LA.
What the feck are you going on about.

We met Salzburg’s asking price, when we sat down to talk terms there was a clause that we refused to meet that was deemed a dealbreaker. He was open to a number of moves at that time, and went to Dortmund who agreed to him and Mino’s demands.

frostbite

We met Salzburg’s asking price, when we sat down to talk terms there was a clause that we refused to meet that was deemed a dealbreaker. He was open to a number of moves at that time, and went to Dortmund who agreed to him and Mino’s demands.
And if we accepted "the clause", Haaland would be playing for two years for us. And he would be scoring against City.

Do you really believe that?

There was ZERO chance the whole time. Clause or no clause he was never going to sign for us, not for 2 years, not for 2 months.

FattyFooty

How strong and fast is this dude really? On top of that he is so extremly good at starting runs at the right time...

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Madrid will have a top striker in 2 years when they activate that release clause.

In the meantime, we can watch his goals stop Liverpool winning anything.
Did Man City ever lose a player they want to keep since the take over?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Raiola and Haaland told a complete different story.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
He is a machine.
He's nothing alike R9. Not in a million years, it's a different breed entirely.

He'll bang +30 this season, if he stays fit tough.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

MUFC OK

Scarily good. Terminator is an apt nickname for him - going to be some signing.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Said it after the Liverpool game but this dude puts up crazy high xg numbers.

1.59 vs Liverpool and 2.17 away at West Ham, a tough team to make chances against.

Haaland had an xg higher than 18 PL teams. His movement is scary.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
He's put a buy-out clause in his contract for a reason, nothing City could do if its activated
We don't know the full details of Haaland's buy-out clauses, but they're linked to how we perform on the pitch and some rumours point to them only being valid if we completely collapse and miss out on the CL two years in a row. That sounds much more likely than us agreeing to such a low clause with no caveats. It doesn't seem necessary to put a release clause in his contract just so he can go to Madrid in a few years, since with or without a clause City would just let him go to anyway if he asked as long as Madrid coughed up £150m or so.

mancimanc

We don't know the full details of Haaland's buy-out clauses, but they're linked to how we perform on the pitch and some rumours point to them only being valid if we completely collapse and miss out on the CL two years in a row. That sounds much more likely than us agreeing to such a low clause with no caveats. It doesn't seem necessary to put a release clause in his contract just so he can go to Madrid in a few years, since with or without a clause City would just let him go to anyway if he asked as long as Madrid coughed up £150m or so.
His rumoured release clauses he had 2. the first one can be activated in 2 years but is over 200 million and then the second one is 175 million and can be activated in 3 years. However i do think theres certain caveats to it.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He's put a buy-out clause in his contract for a reason, nothing City could do if its activated
If PSG can convince Mbappe to renew his contract and not go to Real Madrid for free, even when his contract is expired, I am sure there is a lot City can do.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
They already had the best team in England and added this neanderthal too. I'm certain they'll win the league comfortably this year. Hate him or love him the guy is the best striker I've seen coming through since god knows when. I never once thought he'd become what he is now when he was with Ole at Molde. Didn't even think it was a remote possibility.
ole really molde'd him into an elite striker, should have stuck with him :(

Edwards6

If PSG can convince Mbappe to renew his contract and not go to Real Madrid for free, even when his contract is expired, I am sure there is a lot City can do.
Yeah I'm sure if he wants to stay at City he will but if he's planning to stay there long term he wouldn't of insisted in having a buy-out clause in his contract

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He'd terrify me as a defender. His runs for both goals, I can't tell if it's the camera angle or not but he just looks fecking massive and it baffles me that he's so quick carrying all that mass.

Mike Smalling

They will be insanely dangerous on the break now with KBD feeding Haaland through balls. 30 goals in the league would not surprise me (at least if he continues to take penalties).

It would seriously surprise me if City don't win the league again.