Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Whoever buys him will pay south of £50m plus bonuses. I think they’ll get solid value in that too.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Watching the likes of Lewa and Kane spank cannon fodders time after time makes me more and more desperate for this signing. These kind of center forwards are so rare. He scores for fun and is never satisfied, even when he scored a triple hat-trick in the u20 WC he wasn't fully content because he felt there were more goals for him there.

We need a CF that the opposition fear. Someone that takes opponents by the scruff of their necks. We haven't scored a league hat-trick for almost 7 years. It's embarrassing.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Whoever buys him will pay south of £50m plus bonuses. I think they’ll get solid value in that too.
Didn't Martial cost more, with far less impressive credentials? I suspect it will be nearer £65m?

fergiesarmy1

Watching the likes of Lewa and Kane spank cannon fodders time after time makes me more and more desperate for this signing. These kind of center forwards are so rare. He scores for fun and is never satisfied, even when he scored a triple hat-trick in the u20 WC he wasn't fully content because he felt there were more goals for him there.

We need a CF that the opposition fear. Someone that takes opponents by the scruff of their necks. We haven't scored a league hat-trick for almost 7 years. It's embarrassing.
Wow that’s scandalous that stat about the hat trick, Ole helps this transfer though lest we forget (not aimed at you but at the 50% who want him sacked for a manager who has won nothing and was a defender)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Didn't Martial cost more, with far less impressive credentials? I suspect it will be nearer £65m?
No Martial cost a little more than half that. £36m up front and he’s barely made his addons so it’s still short of £50m overall.

RUCK4444

Pay what we must to get him in January. If one of our front three are injured we will struggle even more.

I would drop Martial for him as the number 9 when Martial does his disappearing act.

Rashford - Haaland - James

Need a holding midfielder/CDM and put Pogba in as the no 10 when fit.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
No Martial cost a little more than half that. £36m up front and he’s barely made his addons so it’s still short of £50m overall.
You’re wrong, so so wrong. Martial cost €50m euros up front(at the time it was £36m at the current exchange rate), to be paid in two instalments of €25m. Rising to a potential €80m in total. With €10m euros based on very easily achievable appearances target and a further €10m for a very achievable goal scoring target. The final €10m was something like if he won the balon d’or. We have paid €70m so far. If Martial is sold before all the add ons are paid, we are obliged to split the difference of the profit 50-50 with Monaco, for example if we’ve sold him today for €90m, we would have made a profit of €20m, therefore we would pay €10m to Monaco. I’ve read the full contract that was leaked by Footyleaks.

ben.heff10

I don't think Ole would even be interested in Haland if he didn't have some sort of plan about how to incorporate him, Rashford, and Martial. Say what you want about him as a manager but he absolutely has a plan about how he wants to build this team - he is not the type to make a signing without any plan in place about how to get the best out of him.

Eric's Seagull

I don't think Ole would even be interested in Haland if he didn't have some sort of plan about how to incorporate him, Rashford, and Martial. Say what you want about him as a manager but he absolutely has a plan about how he wants to build this team - he is not the type to make a signing without any plan in place about how to get the best out of him.
Think that you could be right. As Ole knows Haaland from his Molde days, he might the epitome of what Ole wants his striker to be like but we just don't know it yet.

Eric's Seagull

Daniel Taylor doesn’t think Raiola would be a problem. Woody can deal with him and he probably loves dealing with us because we pay and have made him very wealthy.
Not sure who Daniel Taylor is but like you said Raiola might want him to come to us as we will probably be prepared to pay him a higher fee for securing Haaland's services than anybody else. Thus making the greedy tw^t even richer than he already is.

Classical Mechanic

Not sure who Daniel Taylor is but like you said Raiola might want him to come to us as we will probably be prepared to pay him a higher fee for securing Haaland's services than anybody else. Thus making the greedy tw^t even richer than he already is.
Daniel Taylor was the Guardian's senior football writer for many years before moving to The Athletic recently. He's been covering United since 1998. He said that despite what's happened with Pogba and Mkhitaryan the word he gets from United is that the relationship with Raiola isn't a problem, even that Woody likes his style because he's straight forward.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You’re wrong, so so wrong. Martial cost €50m euros up front(at the time it was £36m at the current exchange rate), to be paid in two instalments of €25m. Rising to a potential €80m in total. With €10m euros based on very easily achievable appearances target and a further €10m for a very achievable goal scoring target. The final €10m was something like if he won the balon d’or. We have paid €70m so far. If Martial is sold before all the add ons are paid, we are obliged to split the difference of the profit 50-50 with Monaco, for example if we’ve sold him today for €90m, we would have made a profit of €20m, therefore we would pay €10m to Monaco. I’ve read the full contract that was leaked by Footyleaks.
Only 1 clause is met, that is x number of goals scored in 4 years. Other clause was x number of caps for France team which wasn't met and other clause was Balon d'or shortlist which he never made.

So we paid 36 million pounds + 8 million pounds in add ons.

Also the profits from sales is not straight forward, if i have read it correctly they are paid the profit if he was sold before closure of 2018 transfer window.

https://www.youscribe.com/BookReader/Index/2690581/?documentId=2853965

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Daniel Taylor was the Guardian's senior football writer for many years before moving to The Athletic recently. He's been covering United since 1998. He said that despite what's happened with Pogba and Mkhitaryan the word he gets from United is that the relationship with Raiola isn't a problem, even that Woody likes his style because he's straight forward.
Isn't Haaland Sr. his agent? Raiola is juts adviser from what I have read in various reports.

Eric's Seagull

Thank you very much for sharing this information :). As he has been covering us for so long he should know quite a bit. If Woodward does get on with Raiola, I see that as a positive so hopefully it mean that any deals we get done through him may go through quicker unlike the vast amount of time we spent last window trying to get them done last window.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Just out of curiosity: Can you name a few of these "many" players that has showed off against big teams in the CL and/or scoring a lot in a class B league that has faded into nothingness?

If one of those examples have as good as or better numbers than Haaland, I'd be very surprised to say the least. Going through stats from WWII to this date there isn't many players at all who can show similar minutes per goal and minute per goalcontribution. Pele pulled similar numbers in the late 50s and early 60s playing for Santos, and those numbers included friendlies and a majority of games from the Campeonato Paulista (league of the Brazilian state of Sao Paulo where they met a lot of very inferior teams). Haaland is definitely in his breakthrough season and there is no such thing as a sure thing with a 19 year old, but if it is just a display of good form, it is historically good to put it like that.
Alfonso Alves comes to mind, 45 Goals in 39 games for Heerenveen in Eredivise, Golden boot runner up to Totti:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afonso_Alves

Of course you could point out he did not do it in the CL but he had the same scoring record in what is arguably the better league. Not that I think Haaland will suffer the same fate, I am indifferent as I barely have seen him play. But these sort of footballing careers do happen.

AaronRedDevil

I think buying a young striker is a bad idea. Is ST out there thats 25-27 and is good? Last thing we need is another player with barely any experience. Do you not think hes doing well simply because hes got a solid team around him and capable players. Plus its irrelevant which striker we buy if united don't buy a midfielder who can attack and be creative. That's the main problem right now.

roonster09

Scout
I think buying a young striker is a bad idea. Is ST out there thats 25-27 and is good? Last thing we need is another player with barely any experience. Do you not think hes doing well simply because hes got a solid team around him and capable players. Plus its irrelevant which striker we buy if united don't buy a midfielder who can attack and be creative. That's the main problem right now.
Don't think age should be a problem, usually problem with young strikers is they struggle to cope with physicality of CBs but in haaland's case, CBs struggle to cope with his physicality and intensity of the play.

Yeah we should add more creative players to the team and also players who are obsessed with goals.

SweetRightFoot

He's currently playing in a team of kids with a Japanese strike partner the same age as him and we already have a world Cup winning midfielder who can attack and be creative and his first name is Paul in case you forgot.

We desperately need another striker, as judged by our performances when Martial was out.

AaronRedDevil

He's currently playing in a team of kids with a Japanese strike partner the same age as him and we already have a world Cup winning midfielder who can attack and be creative and his first name is Paul in case you forgot.

We desperately need another striker, as judged by our performances when Martial was out.
Oh was paul in the last 5 matches? I forgot.

Bondi77

It is obvious that Rashford is easily a better player while playing on the left so it does only leave us with one central striker in Martial (Mason is still so young) so I think another central striker is a must.
I know the old line is going to be wheeled out in Jan regarding It is a hard market and when it comes to the end of the month the line will be that we are going to be active in the summer.
We will be lucky to make top ten this season with the current lot as we are so inconsistent.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Oh was paul in the last 5 matches? I forgot.
I agree with you that what we need is proven quality to bring this team on especially in midfield.
However if this guy is available at a market price then we’d be nuts to pass. Who’s to say we can’t get both in January

Nick7

Alfonso Alves comes to mind, 45 Goals in 39 games for Heerenveen in Eredivise, Golden boot runner up to Totti:

Of course you could point out he did not do it in the CL but he had the same scoring record in what is arguably the better league. Not that I think Haaland will suffer the same fate, I am indifferent as I barely have seen him play. But these sort of footballing careers do happen.
Alves was also 5 years older than Haaland.

Not one with as much talent, no. There's hundreds of strikers out there aged 25-27 that won't score.

Inigo Montoya

Alves was also 5 years older than Haaland.

Not one with as much talent, no. There's hundreds of strikers out there aged 25-27 that won't score.
Alves also played in a Dutch league which was rather poor on quality at the time. He was found out big time in the PL.

While there’s always a risk with players arriving from countries with lesser reputations, Haalands scoring in the UCL marks him out

Nick7

Alves also played in a Dutch league which was rather poor on quality at the time. He was found out big time in the PL.

While there’s always a risk with players arriving from countries with lesser reputations, Haalands scoring in the UCL marks him out
I don't really know much about the Eredivisie of that time, so I couldn't comment on that.

el3mel

Can see us spending the entire Jan trying to negotiate his price at lower that what they will ask, then at last 2 days of the month overpay for him far more than what they were asking while not singing anyone else. Oh the drama.

troylocker

Ok! The scoring record Alves had that season was fantastic, almost as good as Haalands record this season.
We could also factor in that Alves was 26 at the time, and even though he had decent stats in lesser leagues leading to that season, there were no indicators that he would deliver these numbers on regular bases. His form got him 8 caps for Brazil and a 20M transfer to the PL though, despite being 26 and 1st time deliverer of crazy numbers.
Haaland is nineteen, breaking records east and west, has physical attributes never seen before and has better numbers this season than your best example (a 26 year old). This season he has contributed (goal/assist) a goal for his club every 38 minutes, won the golden boot in the U20 World championship, scored 7 goals in his first 271 minutes of CL football. This week his manager Jessie Marsh praised his elite mentality and personality and said that he was almost too much of a team player.
You can argue that RBS scores 3,86 goals on average in a not very strong league, but last 4 seasons they have averaged on between 1,97 - 2,45 goals per match, and I believe Haaland is a major contributor to this boost rather than a passenger.

Comparing 26 year old Alves to 19 year old Haaland; Who would you rather sign?

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
That's step 1 done. Ready to bid.

Step 2 is preparing a bid, which will take at least 3 years. Dog years.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Aa is not pronounced a, it's the same as å in the Noggie language, and is pronounced a bit like how you say the o in boat and goat.

Think this will annoy me as much when listening to English commentators and the way they pronounce Lindelöf.
There's no o or f sound in Lindelöf in Swedish ;)

Inigo Montoya

Fred was also great in the UCL, so that means very little.
Really? Your comparing Fred to Haaland? Two players in different positions, different ages,different physical attributes. Totally different goal scoring stats.Well done sir!

PS where are you getting the “Fred was great in the UCL, “ from anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.