Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Agreed, it's a bit disturbing that he's refusing MRI and taking pain-killers to play through pain, kind of how Rashford did for a different injury and he's not looked the same.

It's still too early to say whether he's an injury-prone player, he could just be growing into his body and put the issues behind him, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on in the future. Either way, there's a lot of noise the City deal is almost wrapped up, so it won't even be an option for United anyways. and maybe they're better off that way.
You won't grow in your body like that in that age, trust me I have(or had) similar physique , well much less athletic but still.

Still too early to say whether he's injury prone or not , maybe just needs a bit of recovery time and some more careful management, but it could go downhill for him very very fast.

Tavern in the town

What the feck is going on at Dortmund, it seems like every young player who goes there is riddled with injuries. Gundogan, Reus, Reyna, Haaland, Dembele, Pulisic off the top of my head.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You won't grow in your body like that in that age, trust me I have(or had) similar physique , well much less athletic but still.

Still too early to say whether he's injury prone or not , maybe just needs a bit of recovery time and some more careful management, but it could go downhill for him very very fast.
I'm just curious about your first sentence, did you have injury issues? Obviously he's an elite athlete, but were you athletic as well? And did you focus a lot on stretching and yoga during that time? I think everybody is different, even if they physique might be similar, there's a lot of factors under the hood that can change the outcomes of some.

One thing about today's game is it made him look like he was really playing injured at times, not all the time, but there were moments you could tell he was trying to hide pain in his face and it made me a bit more concerned about just what's going on with him right now.

What the feck is going on at Dortmund, it seems like every young player who goes there is riddled with injuries. Gundogan, Reus, Reyna, Haaland, Dembele, Pulisic off the top of my head.
Ironically, Dembele was one of the few who managed to not be injured much during his season there.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm just curious about your first sentence, did you have injury issues? Obviously he's an elite athlete, but were you athletic as well? And did you focus a lot on stretching and yoga during that time? I think everybody is different, even if they physique might be similar, there's a lot of factors under the hood that can change the outcomes of some.

One thing about today's game is it made him look like he was really playing injured at times, not all the time, but there were moments you could tell he was trying to hide pain in his face and it made me a bit more concerned about just what's going on with him right now.
Well my area of expertise is rather different (boxing) but yeah I had niggling issues here and there but thankfully nothing too debilitating, I mostly did your average endurance and strength regiments so my information could be rather outdated but I don't think world has moved on that fast.
Anyway you're right everyone's different but from my experience the heavier built lads are a lot more prone to their body just collapsing on itself, its a lot more manageable when your a cb who doesn't run much but for a striker who's strengths are his explosive runs, it could get absolutely unbearable in the joints after a while.
He definitely shouldn't force it the way he's doing it now or he might regret it when the time comes but I'm positive that he could stretch his longevity if he's careful enough(Zlatan did so but arguably he wasn't as explosive).

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Well my area of expertise is rather different (boxing) but yeah I had niggling issues here and there but thankfully nothing too debilitating, I mostly did your average endurance and strength regiments so my information could be rather outdated but I don't think world has moved on that fast.
Anyway you're right everyone's different but from my experience the heavier built lads are a lot more prone to their body just collapsing on itself, its a lot more manageable when your a cb who doesn't run much but dor a striker who's strengths are his explosive runs, it could get absolutely unbearable in the joints after a while.
He definitely shouldn't force it the way he's doing it now or he might regret it when the time comes but I'm positive that he could stretch his longevity if he's careful enough(Zlatan did so but arguably he wasn't as explosive).
Yeah, I think your last point about explosiveness is key here. He is like a Hummer with a Ferrari engine, and I think that's where the fear is coming from with him for sure. I know his last injury was definitely not his body failing him but a nasty tackle on the ankle, I can't remember the details of his hip injury and whatever else he had going on, so I don't know if it's through contact or if it's been his body being unable to handle the RPMs.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah, I think your last point about explosiveness is key here. He is like a Hummer with a Ferrari engine, and I think that's where the fear is coming from with him for sure. I know his last injury was definitely not his body failing him but a nasty tackle on the ankle, I can't remember the details of his hip injury and whatever else he had going on, so I don't know if it's through contact or if it's been his body being unable to handle the RPMs.
Absolutely, we kinda saw that happening to R9 as well though undeniably different circumstances.
He needs to be extremely careful about his choices as it would be such a shame to lose such an exciting prospect to reasons so disappointing such as these.
I also heard a rumor of bvb covering for his injuries so his value doesn't drop, I hope that its not true.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Absolutely, we kinda saw that happening to R9 as well though undeniably different circumstances.
He needs to be extremely careful about his choices as it would be such a shame to lose such an exciting prospect to reasons so disappointing such as these.
I also heard a rumor of bvb covering for his injuries so his value doesn't drop, I hope that its not true.
I don't think Dortmund's covering for him, they tried to get him to do an MRI and he refused apparently, opting for pain-killers instead. Given how they were desperate in their chase with Bayern, they seemed to have accepted that over possibly losing him for the season, but I don't think they were the ones leading the cover-up, maybe a Dortmund fan can shed more light on that.

Arthur Pewty

Supports
Manchester City
How effective is he really going to be when he's not afforded lots of space to run into?
This a fair question.

But the fair answer is that if you actually watch City, there are mulitple opportunities in most City games where we win the ball back off our opponents whilst they are attacking us, and then we break on their goal... only for the chance to fall to Raheem Sterling. Might as well give it to my mother.

Haaland will get 30 a season just off these scraps.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

C'mon you Bavarian bastards, please snap him up to replace Lewandowski

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

C'mon you Bavarian bastards, please snap him up to replace Lewandowski
Square peg, round hole. But would be similar at City. There is now way Bayern pays the wages he is allegedly asking for. City or Real IMHO.

NewUser777

Square peg, round hole. But would be similar at City. There is now way Bayern pays the wages he is allegedly asking for. City or Real IMHO.
Why would he ask the alleged wages? There is nothing in his career supporting it. All has been “one step up”, every time. He has not said one thing about it. I still think Arsenal would be a good move for him.. He would be a Utd player if Ole was still here..

Idxomer

So, it was the correct decision.

Imagine City and Madrid fighting for him while he's playing at United.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Good decision. I don't want any United player to have a release clause.

arnie_ni

Does that not mean they agreed to give him a release clause so he went there because we weren't giving him one?

ShinjiNinja26

Does that not mean they agreed to give him a release clause so he went there because we weren't giving him one?
Yes. Had we agreed to the release clause he’d be at Utd right now but we’d never agree to it and rightly so. Can you imagine City activating his release clause after a couple seasons here because we can’t deliver the trophies he wants and they can? That would be sickening.

DarkXaero

I'm so happy we wasted 3 years on Rashford and Martial instead.
Was going to say the same thing for all the people saying that good thing we didn't :lol:

Maybe if we had Haaland these last 3 years, we would be in a lot better position right now.

BarstoolProphet

Don't think that it means he also wanted a release clause to sign for us, but getting one at Dortmund made sure they could afford to wait for better teams than United. Doubt anyone asks us for release clauses

edcunited1878

That wasn't the only reason why he went to Dortmund, the release clause. His next logical step was the Bundelsiga to help him develop under good support, less pressure, and in CL. That wasn't the case in England with United, or whomever else. Mino also made demands for himself, the player, and his father that wasn't up to par under Woodward or the club.

reddevilchennai

Actually wouldn't mind if we get a chance to sign a player like Haaland with reasonable release clause say 100m. It should mention that we don't sell them to rivals like City, Chelsea or other PL clubs. If we play well, we can convince them to stay further.

Becks00

That wasn't the only reason why he went to Dortmund, the release clause. His next logical step was the Bundelsiga to help him develop under good support, less pressure, and in CL. That wasn't the case in England with United, or whomever else. Mino also made demands for himself, the player, and his father that wasn't up to par under Woodward or the club.
But it seems to be the major reason as alluded by the Dortmund chief.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I hope we (Madrid) don't buy him. He looks fairly top heavy which means that as he ages, he will likely get knee/hamstring injuries on a regular basis. Besides that at Real Madrid, the front 3 need to be interchangeable in front of goal. Erling doesn't look like he can play wide on a consistent basis during a game. Neither does he drop deep to collect the ball like any of Madrid's front 3. His style is closer to Lewandowski and that's not how we play.

NewYorkRed

Actually wouldn't mind if we get a chance to sign a player like Haaland with reasonable release clause say 100m. It should mention that we don't sell them to rivals like City, Chelsea or other PL clubs. If we play well, we can convince them to stay further.
Do you understand how this stuff works?

Judas

Open to offers
Don't think that it means he also wanted a release clause to sign for us, but getting one at Dortmund made sure they could afford to wait for better teams than United. Doubt anyone asks us for release clauses
Of course players/agents ask for release clauses! They're a huge part of modern football.

I've said all along we made the right decision to not go along with their deal, and still stand by it. Love the fact people still want to blame Ole for it too.

Jibbs

Signing him with 200 million release clause wouldn’t have been such a bad idea. He would have stuck around here longer than Dortmund, we would have gotten a proven goalscorer, any chance of him going to any of our direct rivals would have become negligible.

Judas

Open to offers
Signing him with 200 million release clause wouldn’t have been such a bad idea. He would have stuck around here longer than Dortmund, we would have gotten a proven goalscorer, any chance of him going to any of our direct rivals would have become negligible.
Yeah I agree with that to a certain extent, but it was never going to be that sort of money.

Wilt

There’s zero chance he’d sign for Utd, for starters he wants guaranteed CL football. An unrealistic £200m release would dramatically cut down his options.

diarm

Good decision. I don't want any United player to have a release clause.
I don't know - I can think of a few I'd bloody love to have release clauses.

As in, a clause where we can say "you're released, because you're shite and we don't want to pay your stupid wages anymore."

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Having excellent player 3 years and then getting a little profit from him. Not to mention that if things are going good for him and club, there is a chance that he signs new contract without clause.
Yeah, that sucks. If we are buying player then it is 10 years contract or nothing.:rolleyes:

Marwood

Absolutely, but I don’t think that’s a new thing this summer personally, I think it’s been that way for a number of years.. This will be the 9th season in a row that City have finished above United. Champions in 4 of those 9 seasons, and potentially 5 of 9 depending how this year finishes up.

I think that’s one of the reasons United have spent so badly, not because you can’t identify the top tier talent, because they’re usually pretty obvious, but because they don’t want to join, so you’re forced to take gambles on the players just below but for top dollar and they haven’t paid off. City had to do it in the early days and we were very fortunate that it all came together. It’s a very expensive way to run a football club. When top players want to join it becomes much easier to maintain a top class side.

Haaland is a great example. In my eyes United are desperate for a top striker and we all know Haaland will fill that spot for any club very nicely. Sure it’ll look like an expensive deal when you add it all up, but I’d much sooner that than be fishing for somebody hovering just below that level, who will still cost an absolute fortune, and it could go either way when he arrives.
Surely it's the opposite of that?

We've gone for big names and got them. It hasn't worked.

It's City who have focused on the tier below and made it work.

Unless I'm missing City signing the biggest names and reps out there?

If you get Haaland I reckon he'd be the first one of that type.

Status
Not open for further replies.