Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Urban Goose

The same Robin Van Persie that desperately wanted to win a trophy and and would have jumped the Arsenal ship for anyone that could offer him that.

Did Man Utd publicly and desperately try to sign him and be rejected before he went to Arsenal?
Yes. SAF tried to sign him from Feyenoord but he chose Arsenal.

troylocker

9 is just a number on a shirt. He would have to spend almost his entire career at the club to be the best ever striker. He won't be that, because no matter where he goes his agent will be angling for a move and a new pay day after a coulle of years. If he had real ambitions to play for the club would have been here and been a starting striker for the last year, no doubt about that.

Also, it's not petty pride it's about the club having some self respect. It's the very same way Mourinho should be at have been hired and Pogba should never have been bought back.
If we have a shot at signing him, would you sign him?
I would sign him in a heartbeat.

Raiola works for his clients, not the other way around. He is a tough businessman and have some cnut comments to the media though.

Oranges038

If we have a shot at signing him, would you sign him?
I would sign him in a heartbeat.

Raiola works for his clients, not the other way around. He is a tough businessman and have some cnut comments to the media though.
No, he is a good player, but there'll always be others to go after. I would go out of my way to not do any business with Raoila. Part of the reason why Ferguson rejected the chance to sign Ronaldo from Barca was his agent.

Yes. SAF tried to sign him from Feyenoord but he chose Arsenal.
I was only aware they scouted him a few years earlier and rejected him, because of question marks about his temperament.

troylocker

No, he is a good player, but there'll always be others to go after. I would go out of my way to not do any business with Raoila. Part of the reason why Ferguson rejected the chance to sign Ronaldo from Barca was his agent.
And I hated the fact that his pride robbed us of seing the Phenomenon play in red. Imagine him playing here for 10 years without the kneeinjuries.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I find it hard to believe that he "prefers Madrid"
The PL is clearly the place to be right now, for money, viewers, followers etc
A fan from Norway said it would be very strange for Haaland to prefer Real Madrid over the Premier clubs because of cultural reasons. It makes sense.

Also, Florentino seems very obsessed with Mbappe. I don't think he will be able to sign the both of them in the current climate.

Not to mention the bad relationship between Perez and Raiola.

So no, I don't see it happening to be honest.

Oranges038

And I hated the fact that his pride robbed us of seing the Phenomenon play in red. Imagine him playing here for 10 years without the kneeinjuries.

Agreed he was an absolutely brilliant player, probably would have tore up the league. But Utd got on with it and in the ten years after. Fergie still had the services of Yorke, Cole, Ruud, Ole, Sheringham, Saha even Rooney and Ronaldo.

Same here, If he doesn't want to come or if there's something else in the way, then feck him, move on and find someone else.

Hughie77

The money comes from our revenue, and loans, it sure as feck doesn't come from Chevy or Adidas stating that "Here, spend these £80mill on Paul Pogba"
So the £100 million adidas sponsor money where does that go WHY have we got A CHEVY logo on the shirt for a laugh!. I know it pays the wages or it pays the electric bill. It's all the fecking same . Revenue is sponsors or isnt it !!!. You just answered your own reply.

Hughie77

We cant buy a striker we got no money from the coronavirus with no fans we got no other money coming in. So we will have to beg to get one because our revenue is non existent at present . But we can still get loans ??. We still need a striker though how I dont know where the monies are though....lol

UncleBob

So the £100 million adidas sponsor money where does that go WHY have we got A CHEVY logo on the shirt for a laugh!. I know it pays the wages or it pays the electric bill. It's all the fecking same . Revenue is sponsors or isnt it !!!. You just answered your own reply.
You seem special. This is your claim:

Agree . I know Mbappe will be expensive, but if utd with some sponsors cash it's a big if we could try get him, but his wages would be massive would it upset the status quo?.
To which i replied, and asked, if sponsors have ever chucked money at United for specific signings, because that is exactly what you are implying with that post. Why else would you need to say United with some sponsors cash if it's just our normal revenue stream, it's already uniteds cash.

Sort yourself out

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A fan from Norway said it would be very strange for Haaland to prefer Real Madrid over the Premier clubs because of cultural reasons. It makes sense.

Also, Florentino seems very obsessed with Mbappe. I don't think he will be able to sign the both of them in the current climate.

assume for those reasons you don't expect your lot to sign Pogba either then?

Hughie77

You seem special. This is your claim:

To which i replied, and asked, if sponsors have ever chucked money at United for specific signings, because that is exactly what you are implying with that post. Why else would you need to say United with some sponsors cash if it's just our normal revenue stream, it's already uniteds cash.

Sort yourself out
You read it how you want to . I bow down to your superior knowledge of the ins and outs of Manchester United... and you sort yourself out.
Cheeky lad.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
We’ve pretty much won every head to head battle for signings in recent years against city, so strange post.
Again. Mare. We've already flubbed the deal, it has nothing to do with duking it out with City for him.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
assume for those reasons you don't expect your lot to sign Pogba either then?
It makes more sense for Madrid to sign Camavinga in midfield and invest heavily in other positions, especially forwards.

Kyonn

Haaland, and one of the rw coming good, would be enough to have this team in first place.

Caesar2290

This isn't true, Ferdinand was exact the equivalent of Maquire, we made Rio the most expensive transfer of a defender in the world and the British transfer record.
Veron, Blanc, Tevez, Rio, Rooney, Stam, Hargreaves, Berbatov, Owen, Van Persie were all established players when we signed them.
You are right. What I meant when I said established is "galactico players" players who are world renowned and at their peak(think of Di Maria, Pogba, Sanchez). Out of that list only RVP and Veron matches the criteria. Most of them were either up and coming talents who were ready to make the next step(Rooney, Tevez, Rio, Stam), past it players(Blanc and Owen) or just good established players, but not world class(Hargo and Berbatov)

hungrywing

Mental that some people would turn down the opportunity to sign one of the world's best players purely because of an agent :houllier:

Bear in mind Pogba approves of Raiola's cnutish ways, otherwise he would have sacked him off years ago. What is the point in cutting your nose off to spite your face when a young player like Haaland becomes available with a €60m euro releas clause, one of the worlds best talents. For all you know he could be telling Raiola to get him a move to us but under the best terms possible. And here you lot are turning him down. Bizarre.
Exactly. Haaland is an exceptional case.

Your end goal - the non-footballing one - is to sign and then separate him from Raiola, or if the latter hasn't got his tenterhooks in too deeply yet and Haaland Sr. is still 'The agent' then pay them whatever to ditch him.

Once you sign him: Best case scenario, he turns into a Rooney/Cantona/Ronaldo. Worst case scenario, you largely recoup your investment. This is a no-brainer on a scale of epic proportions. And I mean that literally. Not on the millennial casual usage of 'epic'. If you flubbed a decision like this in ancient Greece, there would be mention of it in an epic poem.

You have free run at an 18m (read 3m more than Dan James) microscopic-risk-stratospheric-reward punt that the other "big" clubs can't currently go for due to various reasons (Messi, just spent 60m on Jovic, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Lewandowski still there, etc etc). And you don't do it because 'I DON'T ACCEPT RELEASE CLAUSES' That's the narcissist talking. Not the coldly-calculating winner. Which brings one to:

Regarding the bolded part: long story short, Woodfart makes every decision from a place of fear. Every. Single. Decision. People who are attuned to this are very very very very very very very very (there are literally not enough very's here in the entirety of the universe) aware of it. And there are massive amounts of contempt there. And they will very (ditto regarding the very's) happily watch him flail about and cut off his nose to spite his face, blissfully and stupidly unaware that in doing so he's harming the club (of which he loves to put himself forward as the face of).

Anyways. Posted about this before, and there is some leeway in terms of whether or not Woodward made an offer to Haaland Sr. along the lines of "cut Raiola out of it".

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
As long as Raiola us his agent, I don't want us to get anywhere near him.

If he plays in England, I suspect he'll go to City.

Red4Life_#7

We really need to go in for him when his clause comes into play. €65m is a bargain... Martial is v.good but we need more competition for places, especially with dips in form etc.

To win the EPL and CL, we need a top top squad of players.

croadyman

We really need to go in for him when his clause comes into play. €65m is a bargain... Martial is v.good but we need more competition for places, especially with dips in form etc.

To win the EPL and CL, we need a top top squad of players.
Yeah absolute bargain but we all know who comes as part of the deal

wolvored

We don't know what the deal was with Haaland. Could be he only wanted a 2 year contract and then move to Madrid. His agents cut could have been too much for the board to accept etc etc. Too many variables to second guess at. The only thing you can probably glean from this is he will never play for Utd at his peak at least

Matriac

We don't know what the deal was with Haaland. Could be he only wanted a 2 year contract and then move to Madrid. His agents cut could have been too much for the board to accept etc etc. Too many variables to second guess at. The only thing you can probably glean from this is he will never play for Utd at his peak at least

You say we can't know what the deal was, but you're also certain this means he won't play for us during his peak?
That sounds contradictory to me.

What we do know is that we were never his favorite club growing up, so he wouldn't drop every other offer to come here to fulfill a dream.

He made a smart career decision by going to a stepping-stone club where he would be guaranteed to be the main man playing every week in a 2-3 club league, guaranteed Champions League football every season. He could continue to develop with all eyes in Europe on him, with a seemingly guaranteed next step move 2 summers later when he turns 22 with the buyout clause. Ready to pick and choose from any team he wants.

His camp said they felt it was more Ole who pushed for wanting him at our club in December 2019, and not so much the rest of the club. At a time where Ole's future looked uncertain until we hit the stride in February after Bruno came in as the puzzle piece to unlock the system we had been trying to play with Pereira et al.
Had it not worked out Haaland could have risked a new manager coming in within months of him joining, maybe they would favor Martial and he would struggle to get starts like Lukaku did when Ole came in. And United unwilling to accept buyout clauses would have left him without a get out of jail free card if his career stagnated.

We would have been a gamble, Dortmund was a safer bet.

All that said, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't seriously consider us the next time he moves clubs. That will be his first really big contract, and we'll definitely be able to meet his financial needs. If we continue to stabilize and heavily challenge, or maybe even winna big trophy in the next 1.5 seasons then we'll have his sporting ambitions covered as well if he at 22 can come in expecting to take over for Cavani and bring us up another level as our main CF for the next 5-10 years.

I have doubts he will want to play for Bayern after spending those years at Dortmund, he probably wants to try another league, plus I think he'll want a bigger salary than they can offer. PSG will not be ambitious enough, and I think Juventus might be similar.
We don't know fully how RM and Barca will look in 2 summers, they seem to struggle a bit financially now.

So to me the Premier League looks the most likely. Spurs will probably still have Kane, and won't be willing to spend what's needed. Liverpool maybe if they sell some of their stars. Chelsea perhaps as they continue to spend big when they have to, but I think he'll want something even bigger.

To me it seems like it will be most likely down to us and City. Both teams will need a new big CF. Both can pay really well.
But a lot can change in 1.5 years. It will be interesting to see if either club have changed their manager by then, and how their results on the pitch are doing.

His father played for City, so there will be some sentimental draw there. But that just means his father was never good enough to play for a real big team. He was there from 2000-03, first season they got relegated, then they won League One, and then finished 9th in the Prem before he retired.
As long as our results on the field are pretty good by the time his move comes up I think our commercial brand power in the world that could help elevate him to truly become one of the most known names in the world of sports, will give us more than a good chance of winning out when it's time for them to consider the pro's and con's of his next move.

But a lot can happen in those years. We have to continue progressing forward to be an attractive destination. But it's silly to think now that it's unlikely that he will play for us in his prime.

wolvored

You say we can't know what the deal was, but you're also certain this means he won't play for us during his peak?
That sounds contradictory to me.

What we do know is that we were never his favorite club growing up, so he wouldn't drop every other offer to come here to fulfill a dream.

He made a smart career decision by going to a stepping-stone club where he would be guaranteed to be the main man playing every week in a 2-3 club league, guaranteed Champions League football every season. He could continue to develop with all eyes in Europe on him, with a seemingly guaranteed next step move 2 summers later when he turns 22 with the buyout clause. Ready to pick and choose from any team he wants.

His camp said they felt it was more Ole who pushed for wanting him at our club in December 2019, and not so much the rest of the club. At a time where Ole's future looked uncertain until we hit the stride in February after Bruno came in as the puzzle piece to unlock the system we had been trying to play with Pereira et al.
Had it not worked out Haaland could have risked a new manager coming in within months of him joining, maybe they would favor Martial and he would struggle to get starts like Lukaku did when Ole came in. And United unwilling to accept buyout clauses would have left him without a get out of jail free card if his career stagnated.

We would have been a gamble, Dortmund was a safer bet.

All that said, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't seriously consider us the next time he moves clubs. That will be his first really big contract, and we'll definitely be able to meet his financial needs. If we continue to stabilize and heavily challenge, or maybe even winna big trophy in the next 1.5 seasons then we'll have his sporting ambitions covered as well if he at 22 can come in expecting to take over for Cavani and bring us up another level as our main CF for the next 5-10 years.

I have doubts he will want to play for Bayern after spending those years at Dortmund, he probably wants to try another league, plus I think he'll want a bigger salary than they can offer. PSG will not be ambitious enough, and I think Juventus might be similar.
We don't know fully how RM and Barca will look in 2 summers, they seem to struggle a bit financially now.

So to me the Premier League looks the most likely. Spurs will probably still have Kane, and won't be willing to spend what's needed. Liverpool maybe if they sell some of their stars. Chelsea perhaps as they continue to spend big when they have to, but I think he'll want something even bigger.

To me it seems like it will be most likely down to us and City. Both teams will need a new big CF. Both can pay really well.
But a lot can change in 1.5 years. It will be interesting to see if either club have changed their manager by then, and how their results on the pitch are doing.

His father played for City, so there will be some sentimental draw there. But that just means his father was never good enough to play for a real big team. He was there from 2000-03, first season they got relegated, then they won League One, and then finished 9th in the Prem before he retired.
As long as our results on the field are pretty good by the time his move comes up I think our commercial brand power in the world that could help elevate him to truly become one of the most known names in the world of sports, will give us more than a good chance of winning out when it's time for them to consider the pro's and con's of his next move.

But a lot can happen in those years. We have to continue progressing forward to be an attractive destination. But it's silly to think now that it's unlikely that he will play for us in his prime.
If he is the real deal and gets to Madrid where he wants to be he will only be leaving in his twilight years. Why would he leave, unless Madrid fell off a cliff? I can't think of a top player leave Madrid of his own accord if playing regular in their best years. The other side of the coin I would hate for utd to pay top dollar for him in the summer and say he has a leaving clause in a couple of years time.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Be rest assured, Raiola will be taking his pound of flesh with a release clause that low. He will want a fortune in fees.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There's a part of me that wish he would move to Real Madrid first which leads to him having fights with his agent.

Seems such a unnecessary aspect of football to have, to have a media driven agent like Raiola.

Matriac

If he is the real deal and gets to Madrid where he wants to be he will only be leaving in his twilight years. Why would he leave, unless Madrid fell off a cliff? I can't think of a top player leave Madrid of his own accord if playing regular in their best years. The other side of the coin I would hate for utd to pay top dollar for him in the summer and say he has a leaving clause in a couple of years time.

Where is it said that he wants to go to Madrid? His camp hasn't said anything like that. And even if it was true it wouldn't make sense for them to talk publicly about it at this point.

He was born in England, and grew up in Norway, a country where football fans worship the Premier League over La Liga and the others.
Premier League is where all the money and attention is now. Maybe that will change in 1.5 years, but it's unlikely.

He's most likely to move to the Premier League next in my opinion, and I doubt his next contract will have a buy-out clause, as it would have to £150m+ anyway. (€3-400m if Spain)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Be rest assured, Raiola will be taking his pound of flesh with a release clause that low. He will want a fortune in fees.
What can he really do here though? I know he is a shark but.. He is hired by the kids father, so any fee he gets will be from them, not from us would it not? If he wants something that both clubs, the father and the player don't want he'll be pretty much irrelevant in a potential move. The player is a certified starter at this point, so the need for Raiola to be involved is significantly less now as there probably wont be any big clauses in the contract and shit like that, plus the player will get appropriate wages etc just from his player status that he has built by himself right now.

Bebestation

Where is it said that he wants to go to Madrid? His camp hasn't said anything like that. And even if it was true it wouldn't make sense for them to talk publicly about it at this point.

He was born in England, and grew up in Norway, a country where football fans worship the Premier League over La Liga and the others.
Premier League is where all the money and attention is now. Maybe that will change in 1.5 years, but it's unlikely.

He's most likely to move to the Premier League next in my opinion, and I doubt his next contract will have a buy-out clause, as it would have to £150m+ anyway. (€3-400m if Spain)
Raiola players aren't exactly loyalty driven. If he does well he is moving when he gets bored.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What can he really do here though? I know he is a shark but.. He is hired by the kids father, so any fee he gets will be from them, not from us would it not? If he wants something that both clubs, the father and the player don't want he'll be pretty much irrelevant in a potential move. The player is a certified starter at this point, so the need for Raiola to be involved is significantly less now as there probably wont be any big clauses in the contract and shit like that, plus the player will get appropriate wages etc just from his player status that he has built by himself right now.
In reality, it doesn't work like that. Players usually give agents latitude to get the best deals possible for them, otherwise there is no use hiring a superstar agent like Raiola. If a team does not settle Raiola, he could make it extremely difficult. Common sense tells me that with a release clause that low, Raiola will find it easy to create an auction...not just for the player's wages fees etc, but for himself as well.

lex talionis

Erling would be an outstanding capstone acquisition, if we could pull it off.

I hate Raiola, but I wouldn’t want us to settle for second class footballers because we refuse to deal with agents of first class players. Pay the fekking fees and do deals we believe are proper investments.

Stacks

Citeh as Kun's replacement

Bebestation

Haaland would be incredibly dumb to be going to Pep.

The guy looks a bit done now at City - he needs to know who the next manager is before going there.

Signing Haaland doesnt mean that City are going to win titles surely either. The family links are the only think that makes sense for that transfer.

Stacks

Haaland would be incredibly dumb to be going to Pep.

The guy looks a bit done now at City - he needs to know who the next manager is before going there.

Signing Haaland doesnt mean that City are going to win titles surely either. The family links are the only think that makes sense for that transfer.
I feel it would do exactly that. Kun's goals were missed last season

SinNombre

We have a chance with Haaland if Ole ends the year strong and United are again considered as a club on the upswing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

To be fair. Haaland release clause only active in 2022 not 2021. Covid might be over by end of 2021.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Citeh as Kun's replacement
Pep will ruin him. Pep ideology no 9 doesn’t suit his, Eto’o has experienced it. And also Zlatan.

But then again it’s not like United should be going after another Raiola client again. We had enough with his circus.

Judas

Open to offers
I love a transfer, I love to muppet, but this is one transfer completely off my radar. I just don't think for a second we've got a hope of signing him now. I wish we did, but I just can't see it. Maybe come next summer and we've had an outstanding season I'll see things differently.

Stacks

Pep will ruin him. Pep ideology no 9 doesn’t suit his, Eto’o has experienced it. And also Zlatan.

But then again it’s not like United should be going after another Raiola client again. We had enough with his circus.
Eto'o won them the CL. It was more to do with Messi's positioning. Did Lewandowski play under Pep?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Eto'o won them the CL. It was more to do with Messi's positioning. Did Lewandowski play under Pep?
Yes but Eto'o had huge argument with Pep about how no 9 supposed to play which led to him being sold to Inter.

People need to stop thinking that Lewandowski is just an all out striker. He's more similar to Kane & Aguero.

Status
Not open for further replies.