Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
If Patrick Bamford can score 13 goals (possibly more before season end) in the EPL, I'd wager Haaland and Lewa could do a bit better. Maybe not 30+ but certainly 20+ is within reality, with or without taking penalties. What would United look like right now with a routine 20+ league goal scorer at forward?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I also read somewhere that he had 9 touches of the ball or something during the whole game?
Against Bayern? He had 20. Not good, but he still got 2 goals. He had 21 touches against Arminia too, not sure if thats down to Dortmunds tactics or the player himself.

Cavani had similar level of touches against Palace and West Brom though.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We have seen it with Haller, Werner and the like that the PL is different gravy.

Alot of goals Dortmund score come from counter attacks when the other team has like 2 v 3 at the back which is not what you get in the PL.

Playing for a top club in the PL, you have 2 CB and a DM around you so everything has to be perfect.

He is a very good goal scorer but I havent seen much on his hold up play and all round play yet. I dont watch much of Dortmund so cannot comment.

I also read somewhere that he had 9 touches of the ball or something during the whole game?
The Haller and Werner comparisons apply more to Sancho who has shown little of note outside the Bundesliga. Haaland's phenomenal CL record proves he will score truckloads wherever he goes.

romufc

Against Bayern? He had 20. Not good, but he still got 2 goals. He had 21 touches against Arminia too, not sure if thats down to Dortmunds tactics or the player himself.
Fair enough. Would be interesting to see how he fits into a team that dominates the ball. No doubt about his quality though, has great movement and finishing.

Bundesliga somewhat skews some stats as the defence in that league is shocking.

RoyH1

Heard on talk radio that now that Laporta is at Barsa, there's a good chance that they go all in with Haaland. Laporta aparently has a very good relationship with Raiola and has no qualms about paying huge agent commissions.
Barsa shouldn't have the money for an operation like this, but their line of credit is bottomless it seems.

RUCK4444

Heard on talk radio that now that Laporta is at Barsa, there's a good chance that they go all in with Haaland. Laporta aparently has a very good relationship with Raiola and has no qualms about paying huge agent commissions.
Barsa shouldn't have the money for an operation like this, but their line of credit is bottomless it seems.
You would have to think they will be restricted in this area this summer.

I despise the vile leach Raiola however I'd give him one last United pay day if it meant getting Haaland.

Pep's Suit

So many stories about Haaland leaving this summer in last 5-6 days... Clearly, Raiola's already working on it.

SAFMUTD

They're broke, there's no way they can afford the fee nor the wages.

troylocker

@Hoof The Ball

His Goal to On Target conversion rate is pretty much identical to Lewandowski and Sancho. Haaland on 1.7 shots on target = goal, Sancho and Lewandowski on 1.8

Haaland with 54 shots on target and 32 goals, Lewandowski with 116 shots on target and 65 goals and Sancho with 42 shots on target and 23 goals.

Disclaimer: Bundesliga stats only

The problem is Andre Silva is on 2.2 as is Andrej Kramaric. Wout Weghorst on 2.4, which brings up a question about the German leagues strength. Either way, impressive stats.
Add his CL conversion rate to the numbers and it gets even better: 16 goals in 25 non-penalty shots on target (64%) is insane. Or 16 goals in 42 non-penalty shots total (38%).

There's a ton of difference between 1,7 (59%) and 2,2/2,4 (41-45%) conversion rate by the way. Besides all the players you compare numbers with takes penalties and there is a lot of other factors playing in.

Haaland's finishing this season has been fantastic, and in the same ballpark as it has been since he moved to Salzburg. He has consistantly beaten his xG with 20-35% in all competitions.
Lewandowski is having a career best season, beating his xG with around 25%. Lewandowski has scored on par with his xG on average through out his career, and has taken his finishing to the next level only the last 2 seasons, after turning 30.

troylocker

Hmmm.... a high shots-on-target to goals ratio potentially suggests that German defences don't close down quick enough, and therefore present the shooter with more time to shoot under lesser pressure?
His goal per shot on target ratio is even higher in the CL, both for Dortmund and for Salzburg, and it is the same for the national team as well. Can you come up with a smart "excuse" for this?

I think all these numbers suggests he is an elite finisher with the ability to get into great scoring positions and shake his marker more often than others. That he consistantly beats his xG with 20-35% in all competitions he plays supports the theory that he is an absolute elite finisher.

Teja

His goal per shot on target ratio is even higher in the CL, both for Dortmund and for Salzburg, and it is the same for the national team as well. Can you come up with a smart "excuse" for this?

I think all these numbers suggests he is an elite finisher with the ability to get into great scoring positions and shake his marker more often than others. That he consistantly beats his xG with 20-35% in all competitions he plays supports the theory that he is an absolute elite finisher.
If we're talking stats (percentile numbers):

npG: 99th
npXG: 99th
Shots: 86th
xA: 90th
npXG+xA: 99th
Touches in oppo penalty box: 84th

These are offset by frankly some terrible stats in terms of pressures (doesn't run around a lot), passes / touches in def / middle 3rd of the pitch (doesn't really help with build up), dispossessed (a lot) and carries (not a great ball carrier).

https://fbref.com/en/players/1f44ac21/scout/365_euro/Erling-Haaland-Scouting-Report

You just have to build your team around getting the ball to Haaland in and around the box and he'll put it in the net for you. He doesn't really have the vibe of a City / Barca type player.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
We have seen it with Haller, Werner and the like that the PL is different gravy.
I don't get arguments like this. Torres was great at Liverpool and extremely bad for Chelsea. It's not all down to the league, players perform differently in other clubs especially if it is a step up, not to mention that it's still a bit early to make any judgement.
Also you examples don't include Aubameyang who is a pure counter attacking striker that didn't have any problems to adapt to the EPL.
People who genuinely think there is any significant difference between the top leagues is just deluding themselves.
Imagine spanish posters arguing that the EPL is bad because Hazard doesn't perform in LaLiga while a washed up Bale is again scoring for fun in the EPL.

lysglimt

Scout
No, we would not.

Do you really think that he would come here and score a goal per game? It's impossible.
I'm not saying that they are on the same level, but look at how Werner struggles at Chelsea. Premier League is not a BL.

Yeah, he scores more than a goal per game in CL also, but it's a small sample size and 8 of his goals are against Genk and Brugge.
He wouldn't have to score one goal pr game - but is it completely unrealistic that he would score the extra goal we need against Everton, a couple of goals against Sheffield United, the extra goal against WBA, a goal against Chelsea and Arsenal.
Those 7-8 extra goals would have taken us to the top of the table. I am not saying it would have happened - but if we had a striker who scored 15 goals - we would not be more than max 3-4 points behind City.

dinostar77

No they aren't. Laporta has an alledged €800mil credit facility agreed for Barcelona. Was a key part of his campaign win. Now he has to pony up and show the money.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Think he'd rather take him to City than us, bigger money and it would wind United up
It would get him bigger money this time but also be a more difficult club to move him on from again in a few years.

Lynty

Unfortunately, as much as we might want to - we can't just refuse to do business with Raiola. He has been allowed to run his operation for too long now and has become an ingrained part of the system. It'll take legislation to curb his influence on transfers.

I think our current trend of doing the necessary business with him and causing a fuss/drawing media attention to his activity is the only way we can prompt UEFA to act without damaging the clubs transfer activity.

Edit: so a long winded way of saying...get Haaland.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Raiola is a massive pain, but I think Haaland is just plain good enough that we have to suck it up and deal with him. The lad is a generational talent and would be an incredible fit for our team. Him and Rice would be my top two priorities.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If a player does well at Man City - does it seem like a club that will make it easy for you to leave when you want even when you are in good form?

I just ask because Haaland is very obviously a player that wants to spend some time in the PL and then make a move to spend some time in La Liga once he has accomplished well in the PL. Maybe after that he joins Serie A or Ligue 1.

He has said this himself hasnt he? He wants to play in the PL and La Liga in his career?

Haaland isnt going to stay at a club for a decade like someone like Aguero or David Silva. I'm not particularly sure City will buy Haaland and allow him to leave the club after 4-6 seasons of good form.

United however has done this - sold players like Ronaldo after being the best in the world, sold Di Maria when he was unsettled but still producing in some of his games etc. Even Lukaku was scoring goals for us even if he wasnt settled.

City only let their relative flops/players they dont need leave the club in my opinion for example Sane, Dzeko, Angelino etc.

I'm not sure Raiola/Haaland can do his thing at Man City.

crossy1686

career ending
If a player does well at Man City - does it seem like a club that will make it easy for you to leave when you want even when you are in good form?

I just ask because Haaland is very obviously a player that wants to spend some time in the PL and then make a move to spend some time in La Liga once he has accomplished well in the PL. Maybe after that he joins Serie A or Ligue 1.

He has said this himself hasnt he? He wants to play in the PL and La Liga in his career?

Haaland isnt going to stay at a club for a decade like someone like Aguero or David Silva. I'm not particularly sure City will buy Haaland and allow him to leave the club after 4-6 seasons of good form.

United however has done this - sold players like Ronaldo after being the best in the world, sold Di Maria when he was unsettled but still producing in some of his games etc. Even Lukaku was scoring goals for us even if he wasnt settled.

City only let their relative flops/players they dont need leave the club in my opinion for example Sane, Dzeko, Angelino etc.

I'm not sure Raiola/Haaland can do his thing at Man City.
They wouldn't need to. City pay massive backhanders in the form of 'gifts' to their players in the offseason while they're all over in Abu Dhabi. You can bet Riaola wants a bit of that action.

RoyH1

But that's the thing, isn't it? No question that if Barsa was a German or an English club for that matter, they would not be able to purchase anyone of note. But I can see La Liga and the Catalan authorities doing everything in their power to help Barsa overcome their financial difficulties. Hence my line about their "bottomless credit"

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
he'd be a player to get excited about for sure.
Is the muppet express warming up for this as the new Saga?

Hoof the ball

What's the deal with Hansi Flick's comments on Haaland?

After a game in which the two strikers starred, it was only natural that one reporter would ask the question. And Flick was happy to flirt with the idea.

"Very, very much is possible in life, nothing can be ruled out," he told Sky in Germany.

"But that is a long way off. He has a long-term contract in Dortmund and is an option for many top clubs."
He could just refuse to talk about his rival's key player as a potential target openly?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If he actually wants to join United, it is best Dortmund qualify for the CL and he stays another year.

Financially it works better for us, and I think we may also want Sancho from them, which we can do this summer.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
What's the deal with Hansi Flick's comments on Haaland?

He could just refuse to talk about his rival's key player as a potential target openly?
What's your deal? He was asked, he gave a generic answer. Did you also moan about Solksjaer talking in length about Haaland the other week?

Hoof the ball

What's your deal? He was asked, he gave a generic answer. Did you also moan about Solksjaer talking in length about Haaland the other week?
Ole on Haaland
Solskjær was asked his opinion of Haaland and whether he would like him at United. “When you have had kids and players through as a coach, you follow them and I keep in touch with Erling,” he said. “It’s great to see him become the player he has become and [how] he works to improve all the time. He’s a Dortmund player – we just wish him well there and let’s see what life will bring later on.

“You know I can’t speak about Erling because he’s at Borussia Dortmund, and it’s disrespectful to talk too much about it, apart from that I know him and I speak to him.
This is very different to Flick's response. Ole refuses to engage the question about transfer interest;
Flick, in contrast, however? "Very, very much is possible in life, nothing can be ruled out."

If you cannot see the distinction between the former and the latter then I don't really know what else to say.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Ole on Haaland

This is very different to Flick's response. Ole refuses to engage the question about transfer interest;
Flick, in contrast, however? "Very, very much is possible in life, nothing can be ruled out."

If you cannot see the distinction between the former and the latter then I don't really know what else to say.
"let's see what life will bring later on" vs "much is possible in life"

you don't need to say much else, it's ok

Status
Not open for further replies.