Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

greendevil

United have to buy him whatever the cost! Scoring at every level and the type of player that would be the difference in winning a league title.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
The list is in comparison to Haaland. Not each entry in comparison to the next one.

I picked Lukaku as a comparison before I saw the feature, but their profiles really do look kind of similar:

Maybe he is quite similar to the Lukaku we are seeing at Inter? But Haaland is better technically.

I would argue that Haaland is very similar to Ruud. But faster and bigger (he has not used that much yet, but is starting to).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The list is in comparison to Haaland. Not each entry in comparison to the next one.

I picked Lukaku as a comparison before I saw the feature, but their profiles really do look kind of similar:

Benzema stats looks similar and even better, Lewandowski report is almost same as Lukaku's, doubt anyone would call them as similar players.

The way Lukaku is playing at Inter, yes you can see why they are compared.

jackal&hyde

A title challenge?
You can get there without the circus. The club did right to reject that deal, similar to Juve and who knows what other big clubs were in the picture. That is not a compromise big clubs can ever make. He'll move next summer anyway.

Shark

@NotShark
It's crazy that we let him go to Dortmund in the first place, especially with Ole's connections. Imagine him in our squad this season, we'd be probably at least ten points better off.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I'm glad we didn't sign him with that release clause. Can you imagine the circus that would have brought?
I still fail to understand the logic why signing him then with a release clause, and afterwards persuading him to stay, sign a new contract and get rid of the clause, would have been a less reasonable and more difficult thing to do than not buying him for 20m €, seeing him kill at another club for two seasons, and then trying to sign him for more money and among bigger competition.
If his wish were to play for your club, which is the prerequisite for signing him anyway, why wouldn't he stay?

Or are you secretly worried that, once he got to actually experience your club from the inside, he'd want out again quickly, as did happen with most star signings of the last 7 years?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You can get there without the circus. The club did right to reject that deal, similar to Juve and who knows what other big clubs were in the picture. That is not a compromise big clubs can ever make. He'll move next summer anyway.
I don't know, I would have preferred us to take the risk. Of course it's easy with the benefit of hindsight, but I think we should have taken him and if he turned out good offered him a filthy contract. I think he's more likely to go to City now anyway.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Maybe he is quite similar to the Lukaku we are seeing at Inter? But Haaland is better technically.

I would argue that Haaland is very similar to Ruud. But faster and bigger (he has not used that much yet, but is starting to).
Haaland doesn't have the horror touches that Lukaku sometimes has, but I'm not sure I would call him better technically. His first touch is on the heavy side, he just compensates extremely well for it with anticipation and his insane physical strength and quickness.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I still fail to understand the logic why signing him then with a release clause, and afterwards persuading him to stay, sign a new contract and get rid of the clause, would have been a less reasonable and more difficult thing to do than not buying him for 20m, seeing him kill at another club for 2 seasons, € and then trying to sign him two years later for more money and among bigger competition.
If his wish were to play for your club, which is the prerequisite for signing him anyway, why wouldn't he stay?

Or are you secretly worried that, once he got to actually experience your club from the inside, he'd want out again quickly, as did happen with most star signing of the last 7 years?
Yeah I'm puzzled by this as well. Lets not sign for 20 mil because he might not want to stay, but then compete for him later for far higher transfer fee's and wages in competition with all the big clubs aching for a great striker.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His numbers are crazy. He looks like some sort of alien on the pitch lurching and learing after the ball. Strange player but one we need to sign.
The intensity with his plays the game is unreal. That's why he is sort of unique player.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Can he control a football? If the answer is yes then he's incomparable to Lukaku.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeah I'm puzzled by this as well. Lets not sign for 20 mil because he might not want to stay, but then compete for him later for far higher transfer fee's and wages in competition with all the big clubs aching for a great striker.
Utd don't bow to release clauses and that's 100% the correct attitude. If a player doesn't want to commit his all to this team then it doesn't matter how good he is, he wont be welcome.

gajender

Why didn't all other big Clubs go for him for 20m and now would suddenly compete by offering far higher fee's and wages ,maybe he just didn't want to directly go to a Big club he needed intermediate Club for Step Up and everything else is just pure noise from Club as well as the player.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'd sign for United if i were him. It's like the stars have been aligned. I can picture him becoming one of Utd greatests. Carrying the team to where it belongs with Bruno.

How do you imagine him at Citeh and Pep? looks so out of place.

laughtersassassin

His style of play would suit us so much more than City.

Obviously he'd still score more for city but his style doesn't actually suit them

Wilt

Nearly had him for £18m ....we’d now have to pay more than that just for his left nut.

Absolute machine.

jackal&hyde

I still fail to understand the logic why signing him then with a release clause, and afterwards persuading him to stay, sign a new contract and get rid of the clause, would have been a less reasonable and more difficult thing to do than not buying him for 20m €, seeing him kill at another club for two seasons, and then trying to sign him for more money and among bigger competition.

Or are you secretly worried that, once he got to actually experience your club from the inside, he'd want out again quickly, as did happen with most star signings of the last 7 years?
:lol:

I don't know what logic there might have been or why you fail to understand it, I'm just speculating; but we all know there were bigger and richer clubs after him and yet ended up at Dortmund. If United, Juve and who knows who else (possibly Bayern too) decided not to agree with those demands then there was a reason for it.

IMO Raiola wants to make sure the player has at least one big money move on the cards and that might not have happened had he sign for a Bayern, United, etc. The clause makes it much easier as it takes away power from the clubs.

It's irrelevant now anyways. Point is, the biggest clubs do not agree to "sensible" release clauses, especially for potential world class players.

laughtersassassin

With his buyout clause activating next year no way he could cost more than 120-140 mil.

No brainer, go and bid that and let him make the choice.

He would be the biggest reason to keep Ole on tbh

RkkMan

Would Bayern have agreed to such conditions for any player thinking of joining the club no matter how good he is? If the answer is no then no further explanation is needed

Harold_Giles

He also rejected Juventus to join Dortmund, right?

Isn't it possible that he felt joining Dortmund at that stage of his career would be best for his development? It seems that money and club status wasn't the biggest factor in his decision.

There are numerous decisions our club has taken that we can bash our board and management for, but I really don't think failing to get Haaland is one of them. We tried.

That said, I hope we go all in for him when he decides to move from Dortmund.

Boavista

I think that shows pretty well that Lukaku is significantly more involved in build up. The way he brings team mates into play and shields the ball really impressed me the few times I've seen him play for Inter. Not sure he was very consistent at that when playing for United. Haaland's passing is equally good but he rarely seems to hold on to the ball to let the team advance, but that's probably down to tactics.

A bit controversial maybe, but the player I was reminded most of when I first saw Haaland play is Mario Gomez when he was younger! Speed, physicality, powerful shot with both feet and seemingly always getting on the end of crosses and passes. Haaland takes it to another level though. Come to think of it Vardy shares a lot of those traits, but smaller.

laughtersassassin

Would Bayern have agreed to such conditions for any player thinking of joining the club no matter how good he is? If the answer is no then no further explanation is needed
We aren't Bayern. We are Liverpool of the 2000s under Hicks and Gillette. But we won't be so lucky to have the courts force a sale.

Shit but true. Better to sign the players to get us back to the top and if they want to leave it'll be an easier building point than where we are now.

And let's be honest if we had signed him and Bruno and actually where winning stuff he wouldn't want to leave. Now wouldn't that be better than our yet again half arsed attempt at improving.

Look at City's summer last year and ours. You would think they where the ones who where miles behind not us. No ambition at all at this club sadly.

laughtersassassin

Movement Finishing Pace and Power. The near perfect striker.

Has a hell of a leap on him too so if he can master heading too....

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I don't know the answer, to be honest. It's true we don't usually do release clauses. But, I think if we'd been in need and looking for a striker that season, we'd been very tempted to make concessions in order to snap up a top prospect that cheaply.

KennyBurner

Im hearing Chelsea are also in for him. Are we his preferred destination of city aren’t interested in him? I’d really hate for us to lose out like we did hazard.

also how is his first touch. This is very important!

laughtersassassin

Im hearing Chelsea are also in for him. Are we his preferred destination of city aren’t interested in him? I’d really hate for us to lose out like we did hazard.
No excuses to miss out to Chelsea after the summers we both just had. Night and day.

It's time to break the bank again. Surely Ole has a bit of pull.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I’d love him at United but there isn’t a chance he’ll come here. PSG, City or Chelsea can blow everyone else out of the water.

vulmik

I get the Lukaku comparison, both have excellent size, speed and strength. But in my opinion he is much more similar to a prime Adriano. Prime Adriano was so scary and so good. Haaland is that sort of player imo.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’d love him at United but there isn’t a chance he’ll come here. PSG, City or Chelsea can blow everyone else out of the water.
They aren't going to pay him more than we can afford, clubs have wage structures and Chelsea don't pay big wages.

PSG perhaps but I don't think he'd want to go there, he's said he wants to play in England previously.

People kept saying it about Sancho also, but financially they admitted they couldn't compete.

laughtersassassin

We haven't spent big for years. No excuses.

Even Oles first season we didn't spend big. Lukaku paid for Maguire sure.

jackal&hyde

With his buyout clause activating next year no way he could cost more than 120-140 mil.

No brainer, go and bid that and let him make the choice.

He would be the biggest reason to keep Ole on tbh
Don't think any club will pay that in the current climate. He is going to leave on the release clause imo or slightly more if Dortmund accept it this summer or next winter. Clubs just don't have that kind of cash anymore.

Dve

If Ole was such a factor, he would already be playing for you.
Bollocks. Ole was the only reason he was at all considering it. His original plan was always to take it step by step. But now, United would be the perfect next move, with a manager he has a great relationship with, and a style of play that suits him just perfectly.

Dve

If it means not setting myself up for a disappointing transfer window then 100% yes. We probably only have about £100M to spend, if we waste all our time on Haaland and inevitably fail to get him we’ll panic and spend it on more average players.
No, I meant the "nobody loves me" syndrome.

SprintTriathlon

Benzema stats looks similar and even better, Lewandowski report is almost same as Lukaku's, doubt anyone would call them as similar players.

The way Lukaku is playing at Inter, yes you can see why they are compared.
Comparing like this is of no good, Serie A is not Champions League or Premier League, how well did you think Lukaku did when he was at Old Trafford?
Haaland is of another league than Romelu Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.