Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilzFox

Madrid now is even worse than in 2009, I assure you.
Spanish twins are institutions that will always have the allure for big players and they can always make money. COVID may have put a damper in their operations but given the choice of coming to England vs going to madrid/barca, nine times out of ten you know what players will do.

Haaland will be amazing for Madrid, I hope he doesn't end up there.

croadyman

Well won't be much use if we sign him and downgrade to having a midfield that has no passing ability. He will need more than just Bruno feeding him from midfield.

Pogba and Halaand would be brilliant together.

We sold Lukaku and signed no striker since. We should not need to sell our second best player to replace Lukaku.
Yeah they definitely would be but where do we get the money from to sign him this summer or did you mean joining the race next summer when his release clause activates and he will have his pick of the best

laughtersassassin

Yeah they definitely would be but where do we get the money from to sign him this summer or did you mean joining the race next summer when his release clause activates and he will have his pick of the best
Whenever if he available. If they finish outside top 4 and he is available we have to try imo.

But yeah next year would be more realistic

croadyman

Whenever if he available. If they finish outside top 4 and he is available we have to try imo.

But yeah next year would be more realistic
I would rather we could keep Eddy and invest in CB, DM (no interest in staggering) & RW this summer, however as I said in another post the sharks of City & Chelsea are circling with this one so may not be able to wait another year.

lex talionis

If we keep Fernandes, Bruno and Rashford, I can’t see a problem with supplying quality balls to Haaland. I like what I’m seeing in Greenwood too.

Sign the Norwegian and we’ll make he’s properly fed.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I dont think we will be able to get this summer. Dortmund will sell one of the older maids -- Sancho I suspect. We can get Sancho this summer and then Haaland the following in our dream transfer muppetry world. Sancho will take some of the load off Bruno too, working across the front 3 as a playmaker.

RealBarcelonaUnited

If there's any sure bet of a high risk transfer success, this has to be the top. Just gather all available money and get him in. Even for just 4-5 years.

red thru&thru

We never had the first dibs on players from South America. Now it seems we don't have first dibs on Nordic players either.

So much for the biggest club in the world. This is what happens when you let mediocrity set in in the name of showing "patience" with managers.
Under SAF, was there a Nordic players signature we managed to get, when every other club wanted him, such as Haaland?

croadyman

I dont think we will be able to get this summer. Dortmund will sell one of the older maids -- Sancho I suspect. We can get Sancho this summer and then Haaland the following in our dream transfer muppetry world. Sancho will take some of the load off Bruno too, working across the front 3 as a playmaker.
I would feel perfectly happy to wait if City, Chelsea or PSG finances were actually affected by COVID too

Nori-

This guy would win us the Premiere League. It's that simple.

If the owners are serious about winning trophies, do whatever they can to get this guy. Unbelievable talent.

lex talionis

If the owners are serious about winning trophies, do whatever they can to get this guy. Unbelievable talent.
It is just that simple.

Well, I suppose we’d have to keep Fernandes and Pogba as well, but a buy of this ambition is how you do that. No more Freds or Jameses...buy the transformational striker every sentient man, woman and child on earth knows Haaland is.

Micky Targaryen

The boy has to stop scoring ASAP :mad:. His hot UCL streak will only make his value rise higher and higher. Sooner or later, we wouldn't be able to afford him. He needs to get a few red cards and own goals under his belt. :keano:

Ps: Yes I'm aware of his release clause. Who's to say he wouldn't sign a new contract soon.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
The boy has to stop scoring ASAP :mad:. His hot UCL streak will only make his value rise higher and higher. Sooner or later, we wouldn't be able to afford him. He needs to get a few red cards and own goals under his belt. :keano:

Ps: Yes I'm aware of his release clause. Who's to say he wouldn't sign a new contract soon.
Not trying to be rude or anything, but I'd say commonsense. It's only logical for someone with the attitude of him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Why would he sign a new contract? He obviously won't stay at Dortmund any longer than next season (there's already rumours he might look to leave at the end of this one), so signing a new contract with a higher release clause will only reduce how much money he and his agent gets when he makes that move.

future2future

Haaland has proven that he plans his career very carefully. Very smart to go to Dortmund, less pressure and time to grow and not to go to the top immediately and potentially delay your development so I guess his next club will not about who offers the most but the club he feels is the natural next step.

Siorac

It's never that simple. Borussia Dortmund are 6th in the table right now, and they actually have Haaland. They have regressed since getting him, if anything. I'm not saying that's because of Haaland but he's certainly not a guarantee of anything.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's never that simple. Borussia Dortmund are 6th in the table right now, and they actually have Haaland. They have regressed since getting him, if anything. I'm not saying that's because of Haaland but he's certainly not a guarantee of anything.
:lol: they haven't regressed because of Haaland. Without him they'd be in relegation.

Siorac

:lol: they haven't regressed because of Haaland. Without him they'd be in relegation.
I specifically said they haven't regressed because of him. Jesus Christ read the posts. The point is he doesn't guarantee a league title. Or even a challenge.

Adam-Utd

I specifically said they haven't regressed because of him. Jesus Christ read the posts. The point is he doesn't guarantee a league title. Or even a challenge.
You literally say "they have regressed since getting him, if anything". Perhaps form better sentances instead of contradicting yourself.

Obviously not 1 player guarantees anything, but our team isn't far off a league title win, we need a shit hot striker and that's Haaland.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
You literally say "they have regressed since getting him, if anything". Perhaps form better sentances instead of contradicting yourself.

Obviously not 1 player guarantees anything, but our team isn't far off a league title win, we need a shit hot striker and that's Haaland.
Well he`s right, they have regressed since getting him. But that`s not because of his signing (which @Siorac also specified).

troylocker

He now has more career goals for club and country than Rashford and Martial....
He has 20 goals in 1080 minutes in the CL. Rashy and Tony have 17 goals combined in 3693 minutes of CL football.

Break the bank and do whatever it takes, please.

Siorac

Our team is absolute miles away from a league title. Let's not kid ourselves.

Also, there's a difference between causation and correlation. "They've regressed since getting Haaland" is a factually correct statement but it doesn't necessarily imply causation. I also said that "I'm not saying it's because of Haaland", where I explicitly refuse that the previous sentence implies causation.

In short, no, it's not Haaland's fault that Dortmund are worse but also no, Haaland doesn't guarantee a league title or a title challenge. Much like Ruud van Nistelrooy didn't take us to the next level - in fact, we had our worst period in the Premier League era with Fergie when he was our main striker. Again, NOT HIS FAULT. But a fact.

RedDevilzFox

Under SAF, was there a Nordic players signature we managed to get, when every other club wanted him, such as Haaland?
To be fair there hasn't been that many great Nordic players. But the narrative was always that we had first dibs on them and English players. My point being you have to be a successful club first and foremost, that's one of the most important things for any top player. Money always helps but is largely a secondary factor. Longer we remain in wilderness and distant from top trophies harder its going to become to attract talent like Haaland.

Adam-Utd

Our team is absolute miles away from a league title. Let's not kid ourselves.

Also, there's a difference between causation and correlation. "They've regressed since getting Haaland" is a factually correct statement but it doesn't necessarily imply causation. I also said that "I'm not saying it's because of Haaland", where I explicitly refuse that the previous sentence implies causation.

In short, no, it's not Haaland's fault that Dortmund are worse but also no, Haaland doesn't guarantee a league title or a title challenge. Much like Ruud van Nistelrooy didn't take us to the next level - in fact, we had our worst period in the Premier League era with Fergie when he was our main striker. Again, NOT HIS FAULT. But a fact.
Is it? I don't agree. We need a few changes, but we definitely have the ability. Consistency is what we require, and that comes with better depth.

Yet again though, if you took Ruud out of that team we'd be significantly worse. If you put him into a better team he'd win them something.

Right now we have a clear striker weakness and he'd improve that massively.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

To win the title we need to fill the gaps in our team. Our gaps are:
  • Striker
  • Right winger
  • Midfield balance behind Bruno
  • Arguably Maguire partner
We can win with the rest. We could maybe win with Lindelof and Maguire if the rest was sorted. Just signing Haaland won't do it, just signing Sancho wouldn't do it, and even signing the 2 of them likely wouldn't do it as our attack would be good, but the midfield wouldn't be balanced. We need to figure out a creativity, control, work rate and defensive solidity balance between the 2 holding midfielders. Pogba next to Fred or McTominay doesn't have enough defensive solidity, not Pogba means we don't have enough creativity or control.

Barnslig

Apparently his dad hates Man Utd! Don’t think his agent is a big fan either :nervous:
Hasn't this been cleared many times? No way Alfie's feelings towards any club is going to stop them from choosing Erling's next steps. Also he has a good relationship with Ole?

Adam-Utd

To win the title we need to fill the gaps in our team. Our gaps are:
  • Striker
  • Right winger
  • Midfield balance behind Bruno
  • Arguably Maguire partner
We can win with the rest. We could maybe win with Lindelof and Maguire if the rest was sorted. Just signing Haaland won't do it, just signing Sancho wouldn't do it, and even signing the 2 of them likely wouldn't do it as our attack would be good, but the midfield wouldn't be balanced. We need to figure out a creativity, control, work rate and defensive solidity balance between the 2 holding midfielders. Pogba next to Fred or McTominay doesn't have enough defensive solidity, not Pogba means we don't have enough creativity or control.
Agreed, on that - but let's be honest with finances effected by COVID it's not going to happen that quickly.

Unless Martial can find his form of last year and consitently perform i'd say that's the most urgent position of all. Right wing can be covered at an OK level by James or Greenwood. If money grew on trees then yes all 4 would definitely make us challenge next year as long as the team were motivated fully.

ForeverRed1

Hasn't this been cleared many times? No way Alfie's feelings towards any club is going to stop them from choosing Erling's next steps. Also he has a good relationship with Ole?
theres also pictures of him and his siblings wearing Man City kits as kids because their dad played for them. Maybe he will want to follow in his dads footsteps. City also guarentees trophies?

I can’t see him coming here... hope I’m wrong though. Incredible player. Everyone is going to want him.

The Irish Connection

No player is perfect, and I do think some of the lukaku comparisons in hold up play are valid, we would have to be patient with that part of his game, but movement and drive to score is on another planet. He would suit our direct style perfectly. Have to sign him.

bosnian_red

Agreed, on that - but let's be honest with finances effected by COVID it's not going to happen that quickly.

Unless Martial can find his form of last year and consitently perform i'd say that's the most urgent position of all. Right wing can be covered at an OK level by James or Greenwood. If money grew on trees then yes all 4 would definitely make us challenge next year as long as the team were motivated fully.
Oh I agree no chance of it being sorted in a year. Though I'd argue opposite, that right wing we have nobody really natural there and it's by far our weakest position. Striker this season has been a problem but Martial is better than this and you'd expect him to bounce back next season, and Greenwood has big potential and it'll be as a striker, because he will never be more than average as a winger. It's easier to sign a winger than a striker so I wouldn't argue get Haaland, but equally I think our best chance internally of the right wing being even an acceptable level would he in 3 years when Diallo can have a bigger impact, nothing from any of the senior players, so it's definitely an ongoing issue.

There is a world where we sign Sancho to sort out right wing, Martial bounces back to last season level, Greenwood makes a normal step up that we know he has the potential to do and he is expected to do after a down second season (again, normal) and we are pretty ok at striker. I don't think there is a world where Greenwood turns into a top class right winger or James is anything more than an average hard working but low creativity winger, in which case creatively we still rely completely on Bruno for creativity. So right wing will be a problem until we buy, or just wait multiple years and hope Diallo can step up, but that won't be anytime soon as he is so young and tiny.

Midfield and defence also isn't sorting itself out internally. The only one of the 4 that has a chance to sort itself out internally within the next year or 2 is striker, as Martial is better than this season, but also and more importantly Greenwood has huge potential as a striker and it's a matter of when, not if he becomes our striker.

Siorac

Is it? I don't agree. We need a few changes, but we definitely have the ability. Consistency is what we require, and that comes with better depth.

Yet again though, if you took Ruud out of that team we'd be significantly worse. If you put him into a better team he'd win them something.

Right now we have a clear striker weakness and he'd improve that massively.
I agree that Haaland would improve the striker position massively. If we can get him, we absolutely should. We can worry about the rest of the team later.

All I'm saying is that signing him doesn't guarantee a title challenge. If we signed him and kept Pogba, the expectation SHOULD be a title challenge, considering the money spent - at that point we'd have the most expensive defender, midfielder, and striker in the league - but I think we'd still fall short, and by some distance, too. Because we're still a mostly disjointed, dysfunctional team, not a side on the cusp of greatness missing one final piece of the puzzle. Quite simply, we're not playing well enough most of the time to be able to say that we just need a striker and it will be fine.

It's also important to note that we're actually quite clinical: we're overperforming our xG and xPts, we are high up on the table in terms of both goals/shots on target ratio and shots on target/all shots ratio as well. It's not like we're creating chance after chance and wasting bucketloads of them.

Adam-Utd

@bosnian_red

I'm a big fan of Greenwood but it's all hopes and wishes with him. Haaland is only 1 year older and already smashing it at every level. We'd be absolutely foolish to not try and strengthen the squad with a ready made world class striker, in the hope of somebody trying to reach his level.

For me Greenwood is good enough to play any of the front 4 positions, so it doesn't really bother me whether he's a striker or not in the end.

Dve

bosnian_red

@bosnian_red

I'm a big fan of Greenwood but it's all hopes and wishes with him. Haaland is only 1 year older and already smashing it at every level. We'd be absolutely foolish to not try and strengthen the squad with a ready made world class striker, in the hope of somebody trying to reach his level.

For me Greenwood is good enough to play any of the front 4 positions, so it doesn't really bother me whether he's a striker or not in the end.
I agree its all potential with him, but the potential is at least there. There is the potential he kicks off and steps up next season or the year after, and then we're fine. We don't have that potential for right wing, or Diallo is at least a few years behind Greenwood even and totally unproven past youth level. We need both a right wing and a striker, but striker has a chance to sort itself out in the near future while right wing doesn't IMO. I'd be delighted with either Sancho or Haaland, with RW being a bigger need for me, but on the flip side top strikers being harder to find than top wingers.

On Greenwood, i don't think he'll be anything more than average if we push him for the wings tbh. He's a huge prospect, but its potential that will only be realized up top, not on the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.