Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimDizzle075

They kept a player they wanted to keep. They will still sell Sancho for a strong fee when the time comes. I wouldn't really scrutinize Dortmund on transfers, they tend to do a very good job of flipping players for big amounts.
Did it? I would say its kind of up in the air. They are scraping for a UCL spot now, finances aren't good and are repeatedly aggravated and making comments in the media because the player they kept against his will is not performing to his own standards, now you are correct. they will sell him for a strong fee. But it wont be the 100+mil we offered last summer. a 100mil that would eliminate their financial stress. If they get less money for Sancho and finish outside UCL spots then the gamble was a bad one.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If Sancho actually played like a 120m player this season then Dortmund wouldn't be struggling to make top 4. If you demand that kind of money for a player then you can't afford him to follow it up with such an underperforming season. That 120m is equivalent to 150m+ in a non-covid market.

No one will pay 80m for Sancho this summer. So they'll either be forced to sell him on a major discount or sell Haaland if they want to dig themselves out of their problems.
A discount from what? An amount of cash they didn't get? What did they buy him for anyway? They will likely make a huge profit on him when they do sell him regardless.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's going nowhere this summer. That release clause was put in place for a reason. Summer 2022 he's going to have clubs fighting over him.

RUCK4444

He's going nowhere this summer. That release clause was put in place for a reason. Summer 2022 he's going to have clubs fighting over him.
Why would Dortmund choose not to sell him for much more this year though?

Surely that benefits them much more and fits with their business model.

Makelele

Not all about Dortmund is it? Haaland can choose to stay and Dortmund would be crazy to create any sort of stir over that.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Because nobody is paying what they are supposed to be wanting. Nobody is paying 150m this summer for anyone.

CL qualification is worth 60m or so too so if they sell him but don't finish in CL places next yr they might be worse off.

Haaland won't be at Dortmund for much longer but I think he will do another season.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Its a tough spot. Common knowledge that he can go for €75m next summer, so how much is a season of Haaland worth to them? I can see United trying to get him this summer because its a golden opportunity - but only if we have the money. Dortmund obviously won't take €75m this summer unless they are crippled financially, so we are looking at a 9 figure offer to get him. Far more likely that we sign Sancho this summer I feel, and I'd be more than happy with that.

RUCK4444

Not all about Dortmund is it? Haaland can choose to stay and Dortmund would be crazy to create any sort of stir over that.
Well of course every transfer requires the will of the player. But I don’t expect for a minute Dortmund would turn down £100 mill plus for him this summer.

They would be absolutely mental, after already losing out on a BIG fee for Sancho, to then do the same with Haaland. Your talking about close to 200 million they’ve turned down overall, during Covid.

RUCK4444

Its a tough spot. Common knowledge that he can go for €75m next summer, so how much is a season of Haaland worth to them? I can see United trying to get him this summer because its a golden opportunity - but only if we have the money. Dortmund obviously won't take €75m this summer unless they are crippled financially, so we are looking at a 9 figure offer to get him. Far more likely that we sign Sancho this summer I feel, and I'd be more than happy with that.
I think if the club have sense we make it happen this summer with a big offer, make it really mental for them to turn down the extra cash.

In my opinion it’s not an option to loose out on our best option for the no 9 spot and at the same time strengthen our rivals at City.

croadyman

We won't be spending that much on a player and if I'm totally honest would prefer us to buy either a Varane/Torres/Koulibaly, prospect CDM & Sancho or one of those CB's, established european CDM & cheaper RW alternative like Neto. Mind you unless we are able to sell a couple of assets then no way could we fund anywhere near a spend of £154m in one summer.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think if the club have sense we make it happen this summer with a big offer, make it really mental for them to turn down the extra cash.

In my opinion it’s not an option to loose out on our best option for the no 9 spot and at the same time strengthen our rivals at City.
What worries me is that we might simply not have that type of cash available and as a result the fans turn on the clubs 'lack of ambition'. We've apparently lost in the region of £100m from having the stadium closed, and even though we can afford that better than most it will hurt us, so its an indicator of how much every club is going to struggle. United's 'it will hurt us' could easily be 'we are struggling to stay afloat' for a lot of other clubs.

Its an incredibly hard summer to call. Still no guarantee that COVID is under control. Hard to budget for next season with that doubt hanging over clubs. I think we are going to see a very quiet summer. Free transfers, loans & even swap deals might be common as clubs try to manage their wage bills. That's where it gets interesting, because without doubt the bigger clubs are going to be offered some great opportunities to sign top players for
less than market value.

What this means for Haaland I don't know. If Dortmund want €120m+ then he's staying. Nobody is putting up that kind of fee even for him, and they won't give him away.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
A discount from what? An amount of cash they didn't get? What did they buy him for anyway? They will likely make a huge profit on him when they do sell him regardless.
A discount from their crazy valuation last year. Making a profit on Sancho is something they've known for a couple of years now. That's part of the reason they've spent 200m in the past two years. If they only bought players after the profits were banked then they wouldn't have been able to stay competitive.

They are predicting financial losses of €75m this season. And that's without factoring in the potential loss of CL. They are desperate for money.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Did it? I would say its kind of up in the air. They are scraping for a UCL spot now, finances aren't good and are repeatedly aggravated and making comments in the media because the player they kept against his will is not performing to his own standards, now you are correct. they will sell him for a strong fee. But it wont be the 100+mil we offered last summer. a 100mil that would eliminate their financial stress. If they get less money for Sancho and finish outside UCL spots then the gamble was a bad one.
It's not up in the air for me. The way I see it they kept a player they would have done worse without. And they will go on and sell him for a good fee next year. We won't offer the same amount but he would still go for a handsome fee.

Back to the point with Haaland, he is an even more sought after player than Sancho is - they have the cards. They can play whatever they want, it's not classless for them to put a high price tag on a player as talented as him.

RUCK4444

What worries me is that we might simply not have that type of cash available and as a result the fans turn on the clubs 'lack of ambition'. We've apparently lost in the region of £100m from having the stadium closed, and even though we can afford that better than most it will hurt us, so its an indicator of how much every club is going to struggle. United's 'it will hurt us' could easily be 'we are struggling to stay afloat' for a lot of other clubs.

Its an incredibly hard summer to call. Still no guarantee that COVID is under control. Hard to budget for next season with that doubt hanging over clubs. I think we are going to see a very quiet summer. Free transfers, loans & even swap deals might be common as clubs try to manage their wage bills. That's where it gets interesting, because without doubt the bigger clubs are going to be offered some great opportunities to sign top players for
less than market value.

What this means for Haaland I don't know. If Dortmund want €120m+ then he's staying. Nobody is putting up that kind of fee even for him, and they won't give him away.
Yeah don’t get me wrong if we can’t afford it then we will have to accept that and move on.

The thought of losing out and him going elsewhere is just painful.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If true, It makes Dortumd so classless and mercenary. Such small club behaviour.
How is that? Because they didn’t come crawling back and just hand us over Sancho at the very end of the window? They were dead right. They were fully transparent the whole way through. It was us playing the silly games and we messed up yet again.

Has Sancho not been statistically one of the most creative players in Europe yet again @Samid? I’m fairly sure he has, despite his slow start. He’s worth the money now and he was worth the money last year. I’d be very suprised if they let him go for any less than what we were offering last year and if both Sancho and Haaland move this summer then we’ve dropped the ball yet again. There’s also nothing stopping Sancho signing a new deal there. It’s not like it’s some victory for our club chasing players for years and not getting them in the end. Our wing creativity is still non existent apart from Dan James!

mu4c_20le

Next year he will be available for 80m and then for free the next.

#Dortmundeconomics

vanrooney

i would pay whatever it takes if he really wants the move. if we can keep pogba and get haaland we would be challenging for the title. no need for sancho or a cb.

Boavista

A discount from their crazy valuation last year. Making a profit on Sancho is something they've known for a couple of years now. That's part of the reason they've spent 200m in the past two years. If they only bought players after the profits were banked then they wouldn't have been able to stay competitive.

They are predicting financial losses of €75m this season. And that's without factoring in the potential loss of CL. They are desperate for money.
Not really. Their net spend in the past two years has only been 60m. The two seasons before that they had net transfer income of 20m and 160m, so if anything they've only spent what they've already made in previous seasons.

saivet

I think he'll stay. The fee mentioned seems like a price telling clubs they don't want to sell and if we do it will be astronomical. I think the club should and will try and explore the opportunity but I expect him to stay. From Haaland's perspective, he's probably better off staying too. Unless the club he would really like to sign for comes in for him, why leave this summer? More options and a bigger signing on fee/wages next year instead.

Roboc7

It appears from what you hear that Haaland is going to move a few times. Is anyone going to spend 150m in this climate knowing there’s a good chance he will be looking for a move in 2-3 years and be tough to get that back. Buying him for release clause next summer makes a lot more sense, I really hope we’ve realised we can’t buy Haaland this summer and have moved on already.

I think Haaland will have another season at Dortmund then have his pick of where to go next summer.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not really. Their net spend in the past two years has only been 60m. The two seasons before that they had net transfer income of 20m and 160m, so if anything they've only spent what they've already made in previous seasons.
In the past 5 years they've spent the most and made the most in the Bundesliga. They spend the most in the anticipation of making the most. Covid has put their business model in dire straits.

With Covid-19 having already hit the club's finances hard, failure to land the large windfall that comes with Champions League qualification would be a crushing blow.

Dortmund would stand to lose between €30-40 million (£26-35m/$36-48m) if they do not make next season's group stages; a weighty sum if you consider they closed the 2019-20 financial year with losses of €44m (£38m/$53m), and are expected to lose up to a further €75m (£65m/$91m) over the course of 2020-21.

RkkMan

How is that? Because they didn’t come crawling back and just hand us over Sancho at the very end of the window? They were dead right. They were fully transparent the whole way through. It was us playing the silly games and we messed up yet again.

Has Sancho not been statistically one of the most creative players in Europe yet again @Samid? I’m fairly sure he has, despite his slow start. He’s worth the money now and he was worth the money last year. I’d be very suprised if they let him go for any less than what we were offering last year and if both Sancho and Haaland move this summer then we’ve dropped the ball yet again. There’s also nothing stopping Sancho signing a new deal there. It’s not like it’s some victory for our club chasing players for years and not getting them in the end. Our wing creativity is still non existent apart from Dan James!
A lot of reports in Germany for a while that his fee will be closer to €100m not €120m and with an added desire to leave maybe they'll be more willing to factor in add ons for Sancho. Him leaving for a reasonable fee is more likely than another €120m or nothing saga

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If Sancho actually played like a 120m player this season then Dortmund wouldn't be struggling to make top 4. If you demand that kind of money for a player then you can't afford him to follow it up with such an underperforming season. That 120m is equivalent to 150m+ in a non-covid market.

No one will pay 80m for Sancho this summer. So they'll either be forced to sell him on a major discount or sell Haaland if they want to dig themselves out of their problems.
Even if true (and I think if Sancho lights up the Euro, he'll easily go for 100m+), Dortmund still benefits more from keeping him with Haaland than selling him for 40m extra. Sancho is one of the elite playmaker in the game today, and he's got so much room to still grow. I think the failed move got to him a bit, fair enough, not everybody handles those kinds of things perfectly, but he's regained a lot of his impact that made him such a special player now. At the end of the day, Dortmund got both Haaland and Sancho for chump's change, and they'll make a fortune regardless of when they sell them. There's just a lot of entitlement and weird animosity towards Dortmund here (not aimed at your post specifically) for acting like any club would in their situation.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Even if true (and I think if Sancho lights up the Euro, he'll easily go for 100m+), Dortmund still benefits more from keeping him with Haaland than selling him for 40m extra. Sancho is one of the elite playmaker in the game today, and he's got so much room to still grow. I think the failed move got to him a bit, fair enough, not everybody handles those kinds of things perfectly, but he's regained a lot of his impact that made him such a special player now. At the end of the day, Dortmund got both Haaland and Sancho for chump's change, and they'll make a fortune regardless of when they sell them. There's just a lot of entitlement and weird animosity towards Dortmund here (not aimed at your post specifically) for acting like any club would in their situation.
Doubt if they can get that sort of fees.

players set to miss out on summer moves as agent predicts limit on transfer fee

We may be back down to 2015/16 levels this summer.

TheRedHearted

Because nobody is paying what they are supposed to be wanting. Nobody is paying 150m this summer for anyone.

CL qualification is worth 60m or so too so if they sell him but don't finish in CL places next yr they might be worse off.

Haaland won't be at Dortmund for much longer but I think he will do another season.
Or United will spend a little over 200 million and sign them both :)

Raredaredevil

I think everyone is just annoyed at Dortmund because they expect them to just rollover and make it an easy deal for us like Ajax or Sporting Lisbon but they are turning a bit into Levy with their negotiation. €180m transfer price is unrealistic and they have set this fee on purpose to deter clubs away. No clubs in the right frame of mind will pay this price when they could get him for €110m less the next season. Maybe they did this to make up for Sancho's drop in valuation because of his underperforming season which no doubt makes them classless and mercenary like another poster pointed out, but hey this is the football business world and they are within their right to demand for what fee they feel they are entitled to.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid

The way he's playing they can benefit a lot more just by keeping him. I think he's priceless as there are no other players in his age bracket playing at his standard, so from a pure sporting perspective is best to keep him as long as he wants to play for them. His value can only get higher each season and he can sign an extension anyway.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Hope they fail to qualify for CL next season, and no one buy Haaland for 180m, nor anyone interest in Sancho for 100m. So next season they will loss Haaland for 75m, and maybe Sancho for 50m.

red thru&thru

Why do people think that Haaland hasn't got a release clause in 2022? Wasn't it not agreeing to this release clause the biggest reason we never signed him?

The way he's playing they can benefit a lot more just by keeping him. I think he's priceless as there are no other players in his age bracket playing at his standard, so from a pure sporting perspective is best to keep him as long as he wants to play for them. His value can only get higher each season and he can sign an extension anyway.
how is he priceless to him, look where they are in the league?

he won’t sign an extension, that’s clear as day. Dortmund was a stepping stone, and he will be leaving either this summer or next.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is another one of those threads that could easily be condensed down into about 7 unique posts.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Or United will spend a little over 200 million and sign them both :)
Yeah after a year of having no match day income we are guna spend 200m? Hahahaha.

Absolutely no chance.

I don't think Haaland is moving this summer personally. Not even to City. The only way I can see City getting him is if Dortmund accept a few players in exchange.

troylocker

Not really. German players also spelled out "Human Rights" before there game 4 of which were Bayern players with Qatar on their shirts one was Gundo who plays for City. The backlash would be worse if they opted against it.
It will be very interesting to see how this unfolds as the awareness around sportswashing grows going into to the WC in Qatar. Netherlands will follow Norway and Germany and do a pro human rights stunt before their game tonight, and more nations will follow...
I mean, after wearing that t-shirt on thursday, Gundo should feel bad about going back to work for sheik Mansour of Abu Dhabi and continue to contribute to this after this. If he doesn’t he is a cynical hypocrite

Status
Not open for further replies.