Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

red thru&thru

Pretty sure there's a difference between the behaviour expected from fans and someone in the public limelight. Imagine If David Moyes was to react to fans when he was under pressure. It would be laughable.

On SAF vs Riaola, were talking about the greatest manager in football history and a cnutish agent. Really torn over who to back on that one. :houllier:
So SAF is one of the best ever in his field, who had loads of occasions when he spouted s**t...Mino Raiola, one of the best ever in his field, spouts s**t! Pretty much the same to me.

Having red tinted glasses is fine. But even when you listen to the likes of Andy Mitten today on the Talk of the Devils podcast, who actually spends time with agents, know what they do and how important they are. When things are seen from one side, always easy to make a rash comments about the other.

Also, was he cnutish when he facilitated the move for PP back to United? When Zlatan came in? Will he be if he brings in the likes of Haaland?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Halaand will go where Halaand wants to go, not where Raiola dictates. Raiolas job is to get the best possible wages for his client (and commission for himself).

Surely if he wants to go to City, and Raiola says no, he's just going to fire him. Same with the Pogba fiasco, Raiola just talks what his clients want him to talk.

He's a supreme talent and we should go all out to try and get him. If he chooses other clubs, then fair play. Even if he ends up with us, I can't see him staying for more than a couple of years.
I don't think it's ever a case of the agent saying no to club the player wants. I imagine it's more a case of subtly swaying the player, convincing the player the club he wants is the wrong move.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm trying to think of a big muppet signing in recent times I believed in less than this one and I'm struggling. I just can't possibly see it happening :lol: my whole being will be hoping, but I can't say I believe.

If covid wasn't a thing, I'd say our chances would be massively higher, but it is.

I'll be waiting on the Sancho train, which looks a bit of a dangerous journey in itself.

Redcy

They clearly do add a value otherwise top players wouldn't use then and the top ones wouldn't have so many clients / earn millions.
Go read any footballers book on their career, a few come to mind, and they clearly get shafted by clubs, a lot. Also listen to Peter Crouch's podcast, a good agent also acts as a top class PA, minder, fixer, etc, some players use them to organise mortgages, cars6, kit deals, etc. I can t stand them, but if you look at how blunt Raiola will be with a player I can see that the no bullshit approach would work for many who are usually having their arses kissed from a young age.

red thru&thru

To City's credit, over the recent history, there is nothing to suggest they will compete with us, or any other club, in trying to outbid them...both in terms of fees and wages. So it really comes down to Haaland himself.

Goes to City and he guarantees himself trophies. But probably doesn't get the clout he may want.

Comes to us, has potential to win trophies but will get all the media exposure that comes with it and forever etched in the history books as a great at one of the top clubs in the world.

IMO, he goes City and gets the latter part at a club like Real. So I don't even think it's much about money, main priorities will be about the winning...which is fair.

croadyman

I'm trying to think of a big muppet signing in recent times I believed in less than this one and I'm struggling. I just can't possibly see it happening :lol: my whole being will be hoping, but I can't say I believe.

If covid wasn't a thing, I'd say our chances would be massively higher, but it is.

I'll be waiting on the Sancho train, which looks a bit of a dangerous journey in itself.
Still convinced we don't splash £130m plus on him without COVID due to our owners, however we would certainly be more competitive if we weren't extra hamstrung by this happening

NYAS

Usual misery drama queens whinging.

Another one succumbs to the dark spell of CuckCafe.

LoneStar

I don't think it's ever a case of the agent saying no to club the player wants. I imagine it's more a case of subtly swaying the player, convincing the player the club he wants is the wrong move.
But let's say he wants to go to City. What would he make of Raiola's digs at Pep? Surely it's in his best interests to stay quiet so that he doesn't close any future doors.

tjb

If it was just down to poor Bundesliga defensive tactics, he'd get found out in the CL.

Yet, he's top scorer... by a margin ... over Lewandowski, Messi, Mbappe, Ronaldo, etc.

That suggests someone who can do it in the harder (CL) games as well as the Bundesliga? And given the quality of the teams the others play in, that's something?

But agree that some PL clubs take a defensive line to the extremes which restricts space. He does score other types of goals though.

Would he get 40 here, doubt it. But 25+ and a good haul in CL games would be worth a lot. As would his mentality of not being phased by the occasion.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Interesting if true, Pep could be trying again to fix something that isn't broken like when he signed Ibra.
I feel it's a different situation, I think Haaland would absolutely enhance them. Ibra came at a time when Messi became the best player in the world and it created a dilemma. I also think Guardiola was still relatively inexperienced in his man-management and just didn't handle Ibra very well (similar to Eto'o). I don't know if he's really gotten better at dealing with big personalities really but I don't think he'd make things worse or more difficult by adding Haaland to this City squad.

Tapori

Commercially, as a lead striker - barring long term injuries - with the monetization of PR and fame of scoring goals - How quickly could one expect to recover 150m Euros over say, 5 years?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I want Haaland here.

However, if he ends up with Guardiola then I'm going to bet that both struggles a bit to go and get trophies regularly from that transfer on.

It reminds me of the time Pep was with Lewandowski, Aguero or Zlatan, he values them but it ultimately makes the team deadly from certain areas of the pitch.

Haaland is a great young player - but I wouldn't expect him to achieve everything with ease by the time he is 24. The guy will struggle in his career one time or another, I think it would happen a bit at city to bring him down a level from the hype he rightfully has accumulated.

All a complete guess though.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I want Haaland here.

However, if he ends up with Guardiola then I'm going to bet that both struggles a bit to go and get trophies regularly from that transfer on.

It reminds me of the time Pep was with Lewandowski, Aguero or Zlatan, he values them but it ultimately makes the team deadly from certain areas of the pitch.

Haaland is a great young player - but I wouldn't expect him to achieve everything with ease by the time he is 24. The guy will struggle in his career one time or another, I think it would happen a bit at city to bring him down a level from the hype he rightfully has accumulated.

All a complete guess though.
Pep has won multiple league titles and trophies with all of those players.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
To me it just feels like there's a lot of insecure people on here.
In this day and age with so many clubs who can offer premium salary, there's very few players who will proclaim undying love to a club anymore.

How many "normal" people stay working at the same company for more than 5 years these days?

An agent will create ruckus cause that's his job. And as a club you'd be encouraged to keep him/the player happy to limit PR drama. But you also won't give them everything they ask for. So you accept some BS articles, cause the only ones who read them all are the super hardcore fans.

The club has handled Raiola decently, Ole has handled him expertedly. Raiola would love to bring any of his clients here. Cause he and them gets paid real well.
People hate Raiola because he’s a stain on football. His type are one of the reasons why football is becoming more and more unlikeable. And clubs desperate to sign the best players have given them way too much power, somehow ending up paying them for the privilege of representing the footballer and getting rinsed.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Pep has won multiple league titles and trophies with all of those players.
But I felt he still hasnt won a CL with that type of footballer as his main striker and to me his teams have always looked better with a central presence that is more than just a deadly goalscorer or poacher.

SER19

So will this be the summer the absolute myth that city 'can't spend what other clubs spend on players' absolutely dies the way it should have as soon as people started spouting that shite

Pep's Suit

To City's credit, over the recent history, there is nothing to suggest they will compete with us, or any other club, in trying to outbid them...both in terms of fees and wages. So it really comes down to Haaland himself.

Goes to City and he guarantees himself trophies. But probably doesn't get the clout he may want.

Comes to us, has potential to win trophies but will get all the media exposure that comes with it and forever etched in the history books as a great at one of the top clubs in the world.

IMO, he goes City and gets the latter part at a club like Real. So I don't even think it's much about money, main priorities will be about the winning...which is fair.
Another factor is how desperate Dortmund will be to sell him this summer. Don't think City will offer more than £80-90m.

Gandalf

Another factor is how desperate Dortmund will be to sell him this summer. Don't think City will offer more than £80-90m.
Not a chance Dortmund will take that. The release clause is supposedly around 65m so you are talking 15 to 25 million on top of that. If they sell Haaland they are pretty much screwed in terms of CL qualification next season and the lost revenue is going to be a lot more than the difference in those fees. If Haaland moves this summer the bidding will start at 130m and could well go a lot higher. Dortmund are much more likely to sell Sancho to balance the books as he is not happy there and the buzz around him has started to die down so they will want to cash in when they can.

Colin Clarke

So SAF is one of the best ever in his field, who had loads of occasions when he spouted s**t...Mino Raiola, one of the best ever in his field, spouts s**t! Pretty much the same to me.

Having red tinted glasses is fine. But even when you listen to the likes of Andy Mitten today on the Talk of the Devils podcast, who actually spends time with agents, know what they do and how important they are. When things are seen from one side, always easy to make a rash comments about the other.

Also, was he cnutish when he facilitated the move for PP back to United? When Zlatan came in? Will he be if he brings in the likes of Haaland?
Unfortunately yes, he will be. Raiola is supposed to have pocket up to 1/3 of the fee paid for Pogba, got a nice chunk of change when United signed Zlatlan and will make a huge chunk out of any deal for Haaland. The fact that he tries to move all his big money clients every two or three years is my major problem. You cant count on a Raiola client staying happy at a club

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
True
Personally I dont believe they will be desperate to sale him. they have others salable assets. I also don't believe any European club will afford their asking fee this summer unless the rumoured UEFA changes to FFP and spending take place before this summer window

Coops73

Haaland is undoubtedly very talented but I think we really need to think differently with regards to him and the likes of kane, They’re expensive and represented/under the contract of difficult cnuts which I’m not sure even the powerhouses of Fletcher and Murtough could negotiate with, especially with the shithouses of the Glazers behind them.

We’re gonna have think outside the box on this one, in terms of a 9 and maybe concentrate on Grealish and or Sancho.

History would suggest that that’s going to be difficult in itself but you never know, the new “structure” might just have that shit down.

red thru&thru

Unfortunately yes, he will be. Raiola is supposed to have pocket up to 1/3 of the fee paid for Pogba, got a nice chunk of change when United signed Zlatlan and will make a huge chunk out of any deal for Haaland. The fact that he tries to move all his big money clients every two or three years is my major problem. You cant count on a Raiola client staying happy at a club
Surely this has something to do with the player too?

Wheato

If Haaland goes to City, we might as well not bother for the next 5 years. He is a beast, and in that team he won't need to work as hard as he does for Dortmund, the chances will be handed to him on a plate.

I also think that due to his size and age, he will probably be at his peak for the next five years. As he gets older, slower and more prone to injury, his best years will be behind him over 25. He is a big lad, and it is inevitable that he will get injuries and lose his pace. He has blistering pace at the moment.

If they do get him, then we really have to break the bank for Kane, otherwise we will be way way off competing for anything.

red thru&thru

He's had plenty of clients stay at clubs for a fair few years but players in world football generally move a lot anyway.

But agents, in any walk of life, be it in the movie industry, employment recruiters, housing etc, all make a cut from their clients. So why are football agents so hated?

macheda14

He's had plenty of clients stay at clubs for a fair few years but players in world football generally move a lot anyway.

But agents, in any walk of life, be it in the movie industry, employment recruiters, housing etc, all make a cut from their clients. So why are football agents so hated?
They’re hated because they work in the interest of the player and not the club. Fans have allegiances to the clubs not the players. The only reason I dislike Mino is because he runs his mouth off and that can destabilise morale. BUT what he does is he takes the pressure and ire off of his clients to a point. Managers focus their distaste at him and not at the player and for all intents and purposes the player can exist and get on with his job. Like just look at Pogba, yes the fans and pundits get annoyed, but Ole and the players all still seem to love him.

red thru&thru

They’re hated because they work in the interest of the player and not the club. Fans have allegiances to the clubs not the players. The only reason I dislike Mino is because he runs his mouth off and that can destabilise morale. BUT what he does is he takes the pressure and ire off of his clients to a point. Managers focus their distaste at him and not at the player and for all intents and purposes the player can exist and get on with his job. Like just look at Pogba, yes the fans and pundits get annoyed, but Ole and the players all still seem to love him.
Yeah, agreed with all this.

I just wish fans would have a more objective view, especially as they slate the Glazers etc themselves. But hey, fans are fans I guess!

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Haaland’s been utter utter crap all three games for Norway this week.

Le Red

Funny that Sancho, the ultimate wet dream not too long ago, would feel like a consolation prize now.
That's how good Haaland is, he's bound to be the best player in the world very soon. I think he's even a step above Mbappe's level.
Any club that doesn't do everything in its power to bring Haaland is just a joke. Hopefully we'll go balls to the wall on this one.

red thru&thru

I'd love Haaland here, I really would.

However, looking at it holistically, he'd be better served going to a team like City this year. We as a team still have so much to do, to get the best out of a player like Haaland. But if some how we get to plug the gaps this year on the wing, in central midfield & at the back, then I believe we are better equipped to have Haaland in our team next season.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Haaland’s been utter utter crap all three games for Norway this week.
That's the version of Haaland we'd end up getting. If he goes anywhere else it'll be the world class talent we've been witnessing for over a year now.

MrBest

Hi dad is former Leeds and City, the only connection we have is through Ole and thag worked out well a year ago right? He is City bound, will replace Kun and City will dominate for as many years as Pep stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.