Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Waste of time for Barcelona, they can't afford him anyway.

I don't think he'll go anywhere before his release clause kicks in. Which means summer 2022 is the most realistic. You'd have to go 150m to get him this summer probably which nobody will do. Except maybe City, but apart from them nobody.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not exactly what I said but ok.

Is it compulsory to put those “you’re an idiot” emojis whenever you disagree with someone on Red Cafe, or is it school holidays?
It's just a better way to emphasis how silly I think your statement is I suppose.

I don't really understand how you can say he doesn't fit modern football when his scoring rate is a goal every 90 minutes. Who else could possibly fit it better?!

I assume you're meaning he doesn't suit a tiki-taka style of football, well not everybody plays that way!

Hoof the ball

It's just a better way to emphasis how silly I think your statement is I suppose.

I don't really understand how you can say he doesn't fit modern football when his scoring rate is a goal every 90 minutes. Who else could possibly fit it better?!

I assume you're meaning he doesn't suit a tiki-taka style of football, well not everybody plays that way!
Also, it should be noted that Suarez isn't particularly brilliant at tiki-taka himself and has often been on the end of criticism for losing the ball by Barça fans at times over the duration of his time there, but nonetheless was a resounding success for them. I see no reason why Haaland wouldn't look like a million bucks on the end of Messi's 2000 key passes per-game.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
His atrocious performances for Norway spell a huge question mark: can he perform outside Bundesliga?
It surely is a serious doubt.
There's a good chance he might be shown up at a higher level like in the Premier League which means
a) PL clubs should be wary of wasting their money and
b) he should know what's good for him and stay a giant, squarish, ogre-shaped fish in a small pond. Lewandowski will be nearing the age of 34 in the summer of '22, perfect timing, win-win-win.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Kane will be 28 in July so his next club will get him at 28. So you'll get him, realistically speaking, for 5 years as well. Except in this hypothetical scenario he'd be more expensive with zero resale value. Probably higher wages as well.
Yes, 28 and he will likely play on to a very high level for a solid 6 years or so. I'm not sure why you think Kane will demand higher wages than Haaland, what is that based on? Haaland is going to get a stupid wage in his next move, and Raiola is going to get a stupid cut on top.
The only thing in favour of Kane is the intangible of 'stability' and I'm not sure that's a strong enough argument for the tremendous extra cost. Especially as that stability hinges on two assumptions: that Kane is not yet past his peak - which he might be, Shearer had his best season at 26, Van Nistelrooy at 27 - and that Haaland will start angling for another move in three years.

And also, 130m! Disregarding Haaland for a moment: I wouldn't want Kane at that price at all. That smells like a Barcelona transfer. One of those that took them to the edge of bankruptcy, like Griezmann or Coutinho.
Assumptions work a lot of ways, but there is far less assumption with Kane - he's a known quantity, he very likely has years on his peak yet and he is not one to force a move shortly into his next change.
Haaland on the other hand is more than likely to force a move in a shorter period if he were to join us, and what do we get? Resale - great. But that's it. The value add I think is even between both players, both would walk in and get 30 goals a season. But Kane is the stable type who will be a great influence on longevity and do it for more seasons with the club. And we won't pay an additional stupid fee to an agent on top which sends a message and saves some up front ££. This is all assuming an equal transfer fee for both clubs of course.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Also, it should be noted that Suarez isn't particularly brilliant at tiki-taka himself and has often been on the end of criticism for losing the ball by Barça fans at times over the duration of his time there, but nonetheless was a resounding success for them. I see no reason why Haaland wouldn't look like a million bucks on the end of Messi's 2000 key passes per-game.
He'd score 50 goals a season in spain no worries.

Siorac

Yes, 28 and he will likely play on to a very high level for a solid 6 years or so. I'm not sure why you think Kane will demand higher wages than Haaland, what is that based on? Haaland is going to get a stupid wage in his next move, and Raiola is going to get a stupid cut on top.

Assumptions work a lot of ways, but there is far less assumption with Kane - he's a known quantity, he very likely has years on his peak yet and he is not one to force a move shortly into his next change.
Haaland on the other hand is more than likely to force a move in a shorter period if he were to join us, and what do we get? Resale - great. But that's it. The value add I think is even between both players, both would walk in and get 30 goals a season. But Kane is the stable type who will be a great influence on longevity and do it for more seasons with the club. And we won't pay an additional stupid fee to an agent on top which sends a message.
Doesn't Kane have an agent? I'm sure that agent will get a cut. Agents always do. Maybe not as much as Raiola but remember, we're discussing a hypothetical in which Kane costs 30m more to begin with! 30m plus, say, we get only as little as 70m for Haaland when he inevitably starts angling for a move - that's 100m difference. That's a lot.

As for his salary: well, yeah, that's just an assumption. He's an English player, currently on 200k a week. He'd want to double that if he were to move I imagine. But yes, it's possible that Raiola would negotiate for even more for Haaland.

Of course I'm not sure why I'm even debating this. I think there's zero chance we can get Haaland and zero chance we'll stump up the money Spurs would want for Kane.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
His atrocious performances for Norway spell a huge question mark: can he perform outside Bundesliga?
There's a good chance he might be shown up at a higher level like in the Premier League which means
b) he should know what's good for him and stay a giant, squarish, ogre-shaped fish in a small pond. Lewandowski will be nearing the age of 34 in the summer of '22, perfect timing, win-win-win.
He's performed against better sides in the Bundesliga than those who he faced for Norway

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Wouldn't of thought many had him going to Barca, that is a surprise. Better than a rival in the PL

Spaghetti

Mom's

That was kind of my point. A lot of teams do still use dinosaur tactics, but they are teams like Sheffield United and West Brom.

Even Kane has adapted his game and is more of a free flowing striker rather than just a target man. Leicester with Vardy and Everton with DCL are probably the closest we have in the top half of the Premier League, and there is probably a reason for it.

Using my van Nistelrooy example again. Look at his goal record compared to his trophy one (bearing in mind the United team he played in).

As I said, there’s no doubting Haalands quality, the question is the style and if it’s suited to Premier League or la liga football.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Something about this feels like it was initiated by Haaland and Raiola to kick-start the bidding war. Don't see him going Barcelona unless they can get very creative in their accountancy.

SirAF

Ageist
Those are not relevant, he has been performing at a level which is significant higher than the Norwegian NT.

red thru&thru

He’d be guaranteed success at City, but personally I think he could become a superstar if he came here. He would very much become the focal point of the team, as opposed to City where he would likely be just another cog in an already successful machine.
100% agree. But how much does legacy mean to him at United? I'm just thinking he would come to City, win titles, then go off to Spain to Real or Barca, and forge his legacy there. This is the least riskiest route.

The biggest risk? Coming to United to forge a legacy...but if he came here and then move to Spain, he'd have bigger legacy, if he won trophies with us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Doesn't Kane have an agent? I'm sure that agent will get a cut. Agents always do. Maybe not as much as Raiola but remember, we're discussing a hypothetical in which Kane costs 30m more to begin with! 30m plus, say, we get only as little as 70m for Haaland when he inevitably starts angling for a move - that's 100m difference. That's a lot.

As for his salary: well, yeah, that's just an assumption. He's an English player, currently on 200k a week. He'd want to double that if he were to move I imagine. But yes, it's possible that Raiola would negotiate for even more for Haaland.

Of course I'm not sure why I'm even debating this. I think there's zero chance we can get Haaland and zero chance we'll stump up the money Spurs would want for Kane.
Yes, agent's get a cut but no one gets quite a big fee as much as Raiola. That's my point. Also I don't think there will be a big price difference by way of club fee between bringing Haaland in now or Kane in now.

I'm not sure where you are getting salary expectations from on this, players don't want double money just for moving. He'd be moving for ambitions and might get a 50k increase to 250k but I don't see it being any worse.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Everyone seems so sure he's going to leave this summer. I'm 90% confident he will stay another year and then you'll have all the big clubs offering him silly money after triggering his release clause next year.

I just don't see Dortmund accepting anything less than 130m and I can't see anyone stumping up that amount this year. Not even City.
Totally agree. Unless Dortmund are desperate to ease their finances and push for the move, he'll stay another season.

Why would any club pay double the release clause to have him an extra season?

You might say that the club would be paying the money in order to "secure" him and beat the other clubs - put that's irrelevant because ultimately Haaland will go where he wants to.

Siorac

Yes, agent's get a cut but no one gets quite a big fee as much as Raiola. That's my point. Also I don't think there will be a big price difference by way of club fee between bringing Haaland in now or Kane in now.

I'm not sure where you are getting salary expectations from on this, players don't want double money just for moving. He'd be moving for ambitions and might get a 50k increase to 250k but I don't see it being any worse.
But why would he come to United for 250k? That seems a bit pointless. Might as well just stay at Spurs then. Realistically speaking, he's unlikely to fulfil whatever ambitions he might have at United. He'd be joining a project, not a team that is ready to challenge for the major honours immediately. I wouldn't blame a 28-year-old if he said no to that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But why would he come to United for 250k? That seems a bit pointless. Might as well just stay at Spurs then. Realistically speaking, he's unlikely to fulfil whatever ambitions he might have at United. He'd be joining a project, not a team that is ready to challenge for the major honours immediately. I wouldn't blame a 28-year-old if he said no to that.
Because he wants to win silverware. The whole uncertainty around Spurs isn't because he doesn't feel like he's paid enough, but because Spurs do not demonstrate the ambition to win silverware. He'd be going into a second consecutive season with no Champions League too. At a minimum he wants to compete at a high level.

Siorac

Because he wants to win silverware.
Let's face it, we're not exactly the best place for that. Especially if by silverware he means the big stuff, the things we haven't won in 8 and 13 years, respectively.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Do people here seriously think we'll get Kane? If so, I think you need a long lie down. If he moves, it will be abroad - my belief is he's a bit like Becks and won't want to play for another English side. Also, Levy won't sell him to us

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The more I read about this, the more I think Chelsea are not going to try for him. Not just the transfer fee, but the wages being discussed. Werner was a goal scoring machine in the Bundesliga but is taking a long time to adapt to the PL.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Let's face it, we're not exactly the best place for that. Especially if by silverware he means the big stuff, the things we haven't won in 8 and 13 years, respectively.
I know, but with him we would certainly compete for major honours, and I think we'd win a couple good cups too. No chance he turns us down if we hypothetically stumped the cash in my opinion.

Judas

Open to offers
Maybe he see's the PL as the big one thus not coming here yet. A few pity years in Spain, win that sad little league, then come and play with the proper teams in England.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Maybe he see's the PL as the big one thus not coming here yet. A few pity years in Spain, win that sad little league, then come and play with the proper teams in England.
A ~5 year stint at a Spanish giant before hitting the up the Prem in his prime. I could see that.

Jam

Don’t want him. He looks like a big baby and has the attitude to match; he comes across as a bit of a horrible human (based on interviews and social media, not a great source, I know).

Furthermore, although he’s a fantastic player, I’m not sure how suited his style is to the modern game. How many successful teams play an out and out striker these days? Look at City, for example- great chance of a quadruple and their only real striker (Aguero) has mustered 1 goal this season. United play with a fluent front 3 (the “striker”, Martial, has scored 4 league goals) and are second in the league. Barça, Madrid, Liverpool all play without this traditional front man.

Even if we wind the clock back 20 years. United had dominated for a decade, signed Van Nistelrooy and everything pointed towards an even greater stranglehold on domestic football and more influence in Europe. RVN broke individual records and is rightly remembered as a class striker, but in that time United won 1 league and 1 league cup in 5 years. He left and the United’s dominance returned for another few years.

I may regret this, but I hope he goes to City.
The current best team in the world have an out and out unashamed #9.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Bwahaha, and how exactly are Barcelona going to pay for Haaland? A piece of paper that says 'more than a cheque'?!

Seriously, football is so stupid sometimes.

Stevondo8

So who are Barca selling to fund this? I’ve seen us linked with Dembele again...they want rid of coutinho, guess if Messi goes that’s a huge chunk of money freed up!

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Bwahaha, and how exactly are Barcelona going to pay for Haaland? A piece of paper that says 'more than a cheque'?!

Seriously, football is so stupid sometimes.
Barca are still the club with the highest revenue.
Yes, from all acocunts their debt is on the brink of being unmanageable, their wage bill is suffocating them etc etc
But what do we really know about it? Didn't we think the same pre-Griezmann? These feckers always have found money somewhere to overpay for some star player. I know Madrid fans who have been fantasizing about Barca going broke for a decade and it never happens.

Besides, all this is about 2022, and then the transfer fee is fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.