ESPN Bids for US Premier League Rights

skc_18

I hope NBC outbids ESPN but ESPN has Disney money ... I do not like Peacock app. Paramount+ is 3 times better, but NBC and NBC Sports did excellent coverage of the PL. ESPN+ has Spanish league already, Paramount has UCL and Italian league so it would be I guess financially better for streamers for PL to move to ESPN, however ESPN is total garbage. They we sh1t with UCL coverage.
Are you serious ? For me, Paramount+ has to be one of the worst providers so far. It works only on tv and does not work on my Mac or phone. And paramount is always trending on Twitter during UCL games due to same reason. How they don’t fix it after knowing the issue is beyond me.
Coming to OP, yup I would welcome ESPN just for the fact that price might be not very bad compared to what Iam paying now and also it good to have most of the important ones on one channel. As long as they air in ESPN+ I am good.
NBC app and peacock are generally very horrible apps but I use Sling which is pretty good and I have to use peacock only for few games. ESPN on other hand is decent and does have bundle with Disney and Hulu and show many others games/sports too. I hope they don’t force to have cable for this.

Gandalf

Hope it stays with NBC
I agree. Current news is that having originally expected to announce the new deal on Thursday this week the PL are loving the bidding war and have decided to invite a second round of bids with no announcement until late next week at the earliest. There is significant speculation now that the PL wants to split the rights between 2 or more broadcasters as is the case with the NFL which will certainly be bad news for those hoping to save money on subscriptions and will probably mean a poorer on screen product as if it is packaged and split then it won't be any networks priority.

I am hoping this is all designed to put the screws to NBC and they ultimately hold on to the rights as they have done a great job over the last few years and certainly developed interest in the PL far more successfully than Fox ever did. NBC are expected to fight very hard to keep the PL as allegedly their decision to let the NHL go was partly influenced by the desire to make the PL the focus off their sporting strategy and they will be left with a pretty bare sporting cupboard if they lose this. TV ratings have been plummeting over the last 10 years due to streaming etc. but the one thing that has been immune to that is live sports so not having a solid plan for live sports is pretty damaging to the major networks.

USREDEVIL

fine with me. Already have espn plus and it has been incredible to watch hockey on. Screw peacock (nbcsports gold) bullshit.
You must be out of your network then. Blackout means I'll never watch my team on ESPN.
NBC is fine. They take the EPL pretty seriously. Numerous pre-match shows and post-match shows. Plenty of EPL content.
People always think the grass is greener.

ExoduS

Are you serious ? For me, Paramount+ has to be one of the worst providers so far. It works only on tv and does not work on my Mac or phone. And paramount is always trending on Twitter during UCL games due to same reason. How they don’t fix it after knowing the issue is beyond me.
Coming to OP, yup I would welcome ESPN just for the fact that price might be not very bad compared to what Iam paying now and also it good to have most of the important ones on one channel. As long as they air in ESPN+ I am good.
NBC app and peacock are generally very horrible apps but I use Sling which is pretty good and I have to use peacock only for few games. ESPN on other hand is decent and does have bundle with Disney and Hulu and show many others games/sports too. I hope they don’t force to have cable for this.
I have nothing but praise for Paramount+. It works excellent for me for both live coverage and replays of sport events. I'm not even using it for shows, movies and news. Even for Patriots 1pm games it works excellent. Sorry that it doesn't work for ya on your Apple devices. I do primarily use it my TV and occasionally on ma windows computer and Android phone.

I do agree about Peacock. It is garbage.

FerociousCorgis

You must be out of your network then. Blackout means I'll never watch my team on ESPN.
NBC is fine. They take the EPL pretty seriously. Numerous pre-match shows and post-match shows. Plenty of EPL content.
People always think the grass is greener.
Yeah thankfully not out of market. And meh I just don't see a use for peacock to justify paying for that subscription service. Thankfully united are on nbcsn enough

ExoduS

I got to say that I am amazing how many of you care about pregame and post game shows. I do understand people watching post-game shows, but pre-game? I always thought it is unnecessary and only people with a lot of free time can watch those. As much of free time as to post on these forums haha :D

KGBhoy

I think NBC is doing a great job with the PL. I don't have a problem with games on Peacock either.
Now, La Liga on ESPN this season has been remarkably crap. The app itself keeps slowing on my TV and the commentators are putting me to sleep.

USREDEVIL

I got to say that I am amazing how many of you care about pregame and post game shows. I do understand people watching post-game shows, but pre-game? I always thought it is unnecessary and only people with a lot of free time can watch those. As much of free time as to post on these forums haha :D
:D I'm usually "watching" as i make coffee to get awake for the game. The games are usually from 4:30 am to 11:30 and i often record and watch when i wake up.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
paramount+ has worked great for me. Also, their coverage of the USMNT is awesome. Compare that to tonight where ESPN has the game vs. Mexico and they have a college football game before it which likely will go past 8pm cst causing the WCQ game to be online only. feck ESPN, they have no real interest in soccer.

maroon

I hope EPL goes to Peacock 100% instead of this confusing split with NBCSN. Makes it easier on the wallet. Saves paying for Sling or Fubo which come with other channels I don’t care about.

Nanook

Wonder how much the PL will get from this. It’s currently about £115m that NBC pay per season and it could go for around £200m per season.

It’ll be the 2nd largest foreign TV deal behind the £330m per season they get from the Scandinavian rights. Still relatively little compared with the £1.6bn per year Amazon, BBC, BT and Sky and paying for the UK rights.

lex talionis

NBCSN makes the PL a much higher priority than ESPN ever would. Production values at NBCNS are excellent. My only quibble is that Arlo never stops talking, but apart from that his presenting is outstanding.

nainaisson

I hope EPL goes to Peacock 100% instead of this confusing split with NBCSN. Makes it easier on the wallet. Saves paying for Sling or Fubo which come with other channels I don’t care about.
They're shutting down NBCSN at the end of the year, so maybe you'll get your wish. The EPL coverage will be moved to the USA Network. I don't know if they plan on turning USA into the new NBCSN or what.

skc_18

paramount+ has worked great for me. Also, their coverage of the USMNT is awesome. Compare that to tonight where ESPN has the game vs. Mexico and they have a college football game before it which likely will go past 8pm cst causing the WCQ game to be online only. feck ESPN, they have no real interest in soccer.
I have nothing but praise for Paramount+. It works excellent for me for both live coverage and replays of sport events. I'm not even using it for shows, movies and news. Even for Patriots 1pm games it works excellent. Sorry that it doesn't work for ya on your Apple devices. I do primarily use it my TV and occasionally on ma windows computer and Android phone.

I do agree about Peacock. It is garbage.
Oh I see. Works good on my TV though so yeah may be specific to Apple devices then.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Wonder how much the PL will get from this. It’s currently about £115m that NBC pay per season and it could go for around £200m per season.

It’ll be the 2nd largest foreign TV deal behind the £330m per season they get from the Scandinavian rights. Still relatively little compared with the £1.6bn per year Amazon, BBC, BT and Sky and paying for the UK rights.
I think will go higher. I read an article a few months ago (The Athletic?) that said the PL was either very close or just shading the NHL viewing figures. In addition, this was likely to increase as football/soccer was becoming ever more popular with the 18-35 age demographic.

On top of this, lets not forget the recent La Liga deal. La Liga doubled their rights a year or so ago for $175m a year or $1.4bn over 8 years.

In my opinion, the PL will be getting a serious uptick on the La Liga rights as it is a far more popular league Stateside.

Nanook

I think will go higher. I read an article a few months ago (The Athletic?) that said the PL was either very close or just shading the NHL viewing figures. In addition, this was likely to increase as football/soccer was becoming ever more popular with the 18-35 age demographic.

On top of this, lets not forget the recent La Liga deal. La Liga doubled their rights a year or so ago for $175m a year or $1.4bn over 8 years.

In my opinion, the PL will be getting a serious uptick on the La Liga rights as it is a far more popular league Stateside.
The NHL does have an 82 game season compared with just 38 in the Prem so even if viewing figures are similar you’d expect a larger deal for the NHL because of the number of games.

It looks like it’s gonna go for about $2bn over six years which is about $330m per season. The current deal is worth $165m so double it.

Carolina Red

Staff
True, but it would mean yet another streaming service to add. For me it's less about that then about how ESPN has shit over all their other soccer coverage.
This.

I used to enjoy watching the Bundesliga and Serie A... they put all that shit behind a paywall.

mikel

This would be bad. ESPN has become second rate with their studio hosts, announcers and analysts. Everything is catch-phrases and boo-yah crap. Leave it where its at.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The NHL does have an 82 game season compared with just 38 in the Prem so even if viewing figures are similar you’d expect a larger deal for the NHL because of the number of games.

It looks like it’s gonna go for about $2bn over six years which is about $330m per season. The current deal is worth $165m so double it.
Yeah, I think that sort of figure is more likely and I agree that it won't get NHL money; it was more I was pointing out that the PL actually has increased it's viewership quite significantly in the US so it should get a serious uptick in revenues.

FerociousCorgis

As long as they still stream stuff on Peacock for 5$ a month
meh for me id still rather just have it on espn plus. I dont feel like paying the extra for peacock when that would be literally all i use it for.

In reality though this streaming shit has gotten completely out of hand. Netflix, Hulu, HBO max, espn plus. disney plus, paramount plus, peacock, starz and all those other movie channels, etc etc the list goes on. Everyone wants their own extra charge and just getting out of hand.

RedDevil@84

meh for me id still rather just have it on espn plus. I dont feel like paying the extra for peacock when that would be literally all i use it for.

In reality though this streaming shit has gotten completely out of hand. Netflix, Hulu, HBO max, espn plus. disney plus, paramount plus, peacock, starz and all those other movie channels, etc etc the list goes on. Everyone wants their own extra charge and just getting out of hand.
That's true. Way too many streaming channels.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fantastic news! This means that match day income is becoming less and less important and clubs like Chelsea can cut ticket prices and make it a more affordable sport once more.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
That's true. Way too many streaming channels.
All the more reason to dump traditional cable. I canceled YouTube TV today and not going to look back. We watch so little TV outside of sports so just going with Netflix, Paramount+, and Peacock, along with the family Disney bundle split 3 ways will halve my cable bill.

cyberman

2nd highest is La Liga at $175 million per year. That’s honestly ridiculous

FerociousCorgis

All the more reason to dump traditional cable. I canceled YouTube TV today and not going to look back. We watch so little TV outside of sports so just going with Netflix, Paramount+, and Peacock, along with the family Disney bundle split 3 ways will halve my cable bill.
just getting ridic with content constantly getting split off into new paid streaming services. It used to be they would provide the content on their streaming service without extra fee. Now they make you pay extra for things like peacock. Some games are on nbcsn, some on peacock etc.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Peacock doesn't show everything. You still need NBC, isn't it ?

AndySmith1990

Cool. Won't be long before £500k per week is an average wage. The players we idolise and adore will be able to buy bigger houses and faster cars. What's not to be happy about?