ESPN: Man United missed all of Solskjaer's targets including Sancho, Grealish - sources

L1nk

Like I get it, the summer was poor and recruitment poor, but nobody expected the club to spend upwards of 200million on Sancho and Grealish right? Not to mention signing Upemecano in the same window, that's unrealistic for nearly all clubs nevermind us.

Havak

Pokemon master
Oles first choices would have been something like..

Sancho
Grealish
Reguilon
Upamecano

And we all know what we got.
Thing is, if we got:

Sancho
Van de Beek
Telles

Pellistri and Cavani would have been gravy on top.

People wouldn't have complained (well, some would at the lack of CB but I think 3/4 would have been seen as OK and we could aim for the CB in January/next Summer). The mood around the club would have been so much different, especially if we got these players before fecking deadline day. Just get them done before a ball is kicked and the whole aura around a club becomes completely different.

Instead, despite me actually liking our signings even if I don't think we've really improved the first XI. Definitely not enough for me to be confident we can do better than last season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Forgot about those 2 actually! Though I'm not sure if Maguire was completely his idea considering we were just continuing on a saga from the previous year.

AWB was probably his idea though.
Isn't it a bit like Shaw and Herrera already being in their thoughts when LvG joined. We have already scouted them, so you are getting them.

Stacks

It's a problem if he ever thought the club would be able to sign both Grealish and Sancho.
Maybe they should have gone for more realistic targets in this troubled time. Every season United try to sign a 80million pound player and they rarely live up to their billing. Thats why we have such a big wage bill, investment and little success. Always with the Hollywood targets.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's a problem if he ever thought the club would be able to sign both Grealish and Sancho.
He has been given list by scouts and he also been discussing this with both Ed & Matt. If the club can’t afford players then they should have told him sooner.

DomesticTadpole

Thing is, if we got:

Sancho
Van de Beek
Telles

Pellistri and Cavani would have been gravy on top.

People wouldn't have complained (well, some would at the lack of CB but I think 3/4 would have been seen as OK and we could aim for the CB in January/next Summer). The mood around the club would have been so much different, especially if we got these players before fecking deadline day. Just get them done before a ball is kicked and the whole aura around a club becomes completely different.

Instead, despite me actually liking our signings even if I don't think we've really improved the first XI. Definitely not enough for me to be confident we can do better than last season.
It's missing Sancho that is making it look bad. The two youngster probably were going to be signed for their potential, but it makes it look like they are Sancho alternatives rather than just players for the future.

GBBQ

although sources have told ESPN that the manager was consulted on every new arrival and that he sanctioned each deal before being completed
I mean this is key. The supposed list is Sancho, Ake / Upemecano and Grealish. Thats 250 mil in transfers alone. Was never going to be a scenario when this was likely to happen.

Ake was the most gettable and City got him early on. The other 3 are key players for their team and I don't think any of the clubs were desperate to sell (especially after Villa survived the drop).

its not ideal but we have strengthened (though not in the key areas). Maybe we might go back in January rather than panic buy in the window just past.

DomesticTadpole

Maybe they should have gone for more realistic targets in this troubled time. Every season United try to sign a 80million pound player and they rarely live up to their billing. Thats why we have such a big wage bill, investment and little success. Always with the Hollywood targets.
The buoyancy of the players at the end of last season. I really think they thought the likes of Sancho and Grealish were coming in.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Just like he spent 130m last year he was expecting 200m to be spent on Jack and Sancho?

Awesome and people think this is Woodward problem ?? Bloody awesome !
It is a Woodward problem. We were an utter shambles well before Ole took over or are you just choosing to forget that because it doesn't fit the Ole out agenda?

Ole might not be the man for us long term, I have my doubts on that too. However Ed Woodforahead is the bigger problem. Even Stevie Wonder can see that's the case

Mihai

It was a reference to Woodward supposedly calling Man United "Disneyland" a few years back in regards to what we can do as a club...
As far as I remember he called Old Trafford "Disneyland" and not the club.

Skills

Snitch
This is exactly the reason our club needs a DoF though. It seems like our managers always deflect attention away from their training ground work, to what the club needs to be doing for them. They have zero accountability for the job they are employed to be doing for 9 months of the year the transfer window is closed.

With a DoF there, he'd tell them to shut the feck up and get on with his job while he'll give him the players he thinks the club needs.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Rubbish article based on idle speculation. If it did happen to be true then I'm glad we missed Ake and Grealish for the money quoted.

Are people stupid enough to think a non oil backed club could afford to spend €240m in the middle of a fecking pandemic? We spent 150m this year which is no insignificant amount.
If only we hadn't had £1.5b sucked out of us in the last 15 years.

L1nk

Oles first choices would have been something like..

Sancho
Grealish
Reguilon
Upamecano

And we all know what we got.
Right but considering the prices quoted thats like £250million in a summer before wages/agent fees after we spent over £100million last and in the midst of a global pandemic, I don't like the transfer window or the higher ups as much as anyone but come on this is unrealistic for nearly every club on the planet, even City probably wouldn't lay this amount down.

We'd have loved to have these players but im actually glad the club didn't bow down to a ridiculous 80 million for Grealish, a loan for Reguilon which can only really benefit Real Madrid, and 120 million for Sancho which again is way overpriced, the wrong doing is not moving on from targets quicker and getting in suitable alternatives in a much more concise and planned out manner.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
So he wanted Sancho, Grealish, and Upamecano. That’s over £250m. Maybe instead of complaining about not getting preferred signings our managers should actually come up with some realistic lists.

The van Gaal list recently was just a who’s who of the best players in the world. No shit we’re not going to just sign them all.

Cloud7

The sad thing about this one is I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge by this point that SAF gift-wrapped the Thiago transfer for Moyes and all he had to do was green light it when he arrived. If he had kept the backroom staff and signed that lad, he might have seen out a year. :houllier:
Thiago, Strootman and Garay were what Fergie left for moyes to sign off on, wasn't it?

romufc

This is a completely stupid way of running a club and our fanbase are massively responsible for a lot of this stupid mentality.
Yes, I am sorry you are a better fan than me.

A manager finishes 3rd, clearly wanted a CB, RW as priority. The club signed a LB, CM, 2 18 year olds.

If you are told to dig a hole - you ask for a shovel but are given a spoon, you are not going to succeed are you? when your competition are getting shovels and extra man power to help them.

Mihai

Like I get it, the summer was poor and recruitment poor, but nobody expected the club to spend upwards of 200million on Sancho and Grealish right? Not to mention signing Upemecano in the same window, that's unrealistic for nearly all clubs nevermind us.
Yeah, similar to LVG's lidt of targets.

flappyjay

200m right there. I suppose it's not his fault if the club told him that spending 200m was realistic.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Ole's transfer targets are simply ridiculously expensive and so far(the ones the club got him) not worth it. After pissing away 130m on Maguire and AWB, pissing away another 200m on 2 players Ole likes(Sancho and Grealish) sounds like madness a bit. Maybe Ole should start looking at transfers with great value for money, not just every single overrated and expensive British player on the block.

80 millions for Grealish is the sort of stupidity we did with Maguire's fee and Sancho isn't worth that arbitrary 120m Dortmund set for him. They're known fleecers, they've already fleeced Barca with them ridiculous pricings.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
For the money we have paid I would have expected them to perform at a higher level than what they have shown so far

I like how you have suddenly included Bruno to the list that I didn't include :lol:
Yeah you said that getting the first choice doesn't guarantee success, so I listed all of the first teamers we've signed under Ole, but I don't removing Bruno for purpose of discussion.

What more could AWB and Maguire have done, realistically? We were a poor team before they came in, conceding too many and scoring too little. They've improved our defence massively if you think about where we were before them! The number of games they played without rest is commendable too.

£120m for Maguire and AWB is not much difference to £90m for Ake & Cancelo, £100m for Otamendi and Walker, £100m for Mendy and Dias, especially when you consider the English tax.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
They're too expensive. Get a cheaper player and improve him instead.

We of all clubs should know that these big buys don't work out.
These aren't marquee big name signings we were interested in, we wanted the next generation of superior talent.

arthurka

Ohhh Nooooo.
Come on don´t act so surprised. Everyone here knew what was going to happen this summer.
It´s hope that kills you.

Highfather_24

am really struggling to retain interest and support in this club. I feel like I'm submitting to something rotten and impure.
I get the sense that Liverpool or Leeds are pure sporting projects when I watch them. But connecting with United is a very dirty feeling nowadays.
Because we have lawyers and bankers making football decisions for us during recruitment.

Skills

Snitch
Yes, I am sorry you are a better fan than me.

A manager finishes 3rd, clearly wanted a CB, RW as priority. The club signed a LB, CM, 2 18 year olds.

If you are told to dig a hole - you ask for a shovel but are given a spoon, you are not going to succeed are you? when your competition are getting shovels and extra man power to help them.
The reason he needs a CB is because the one he bought last season for a WR fee is bang average. If he lived up to his price tag we wouldn't need one this summer.

The reason we need a RW is because he bought a RB who's dogshit going forward. So we now need to replace one of our best forwards for the fact he bought a RB who offers absolute feck all in attack. Guess what, even if we got Sancho that right side would still be pathetic cause you can't play football with a RB as useless at AWB on the ball.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Exactly. Also people ought to be happy we didn't dare spend that much money on 2 players only after seeing what happened to our 130m investment on Maguire and AWB. As much as it'd have been great having Sancho here and even Grealish, for the amount quoted, it became impossible to pull that off.

georgipep

Ole's transfer targets are simply ridiculously expensive and so far(the ones the club got him) not worth it. After pissing away 130m on Maguire and AWB, pissing away another 200m on 2 players Ole likes(Sancho and Grealish) sounds like madness a bit. Maybe Ole should start looking at transfers with great value for money, not just every single overrated and expensive British player on the block.

80 millions for Grealish is the sort of stupidity we did with Maguire's fee and Sancho isn't worth that arbitrary 120m Dortmund set for him. They're known fleecers, they've already fleeced Barca with them ridiculous pricings.
And you are assuming those players are ones Ole has asked for because.....the media claims so?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Why does Solskjaer not come out and question the board/Woodward?

Chances are he doesn't have a huge amount of time left in the job anyway. Go down swinging, not quietly accepting them fecking you over.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It is a Woodward problem. We were an utter shambles well before Ole took over or are you just choosing to forget that because it doesn't fit the Ole out agenda?

Ole might not be the man for us long term, I have my doubts on that too. However Ed Woodforahead is the bigger problem. Even Stevie Wonder can see that's the case
Hows it a Woodward problem ? Blame him for not getting a right winger but not for not getting Sancho, Jack and Dalot.

Ole has messed up big time in terms of transfers. The cultural reset thing has been a total failure . So if anyone thinks twice about Ole's targets, I wouldn't blame him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
That’s on both Ole and the board. How can every manager since SAF only have this wish list with dream players and no adequate back ups? How can they live in such a dream land? It’s either Woodward promises them that he will get them their prime targets no matter what. But even then the managers by now must be completely naive to believe him.

If you want both Sancho and Grealish - who albeit very good players are extremely expensive - then you have to at least sell Pogba for good money first.

Also after buying two very expensive defenders last year Ole can hardly complain about not getting another expensive defender.

The manager and the board need to work closely on transfers and on 1st / 2nd choices.
That’s not been happening here. Woodward is definitely to blame, but are all our (ex) managers day dreaming?

There’s no way that in whole Europe there are no hidden gems or other good players ready to start for us.
I remember when we signed RvP there were a lot of comments on how he is the first player we have signed in a long time who is that famous and established that we don’t need to watch a YouTube video to see how good he is.
Before that we hardly signed famous or superstar players.
But now if we don’t sign a 20-year old who has only convinced for a couple of years in a BVB environment for ridiculous money it’s perceived as a disaster.

RedDevil@84

Is the intention of the article to show that Ole's targets were completely unachievable and Woodward was right :D

-Supreme-

Yeah you said that getting the first choice doesn't guarantee success, so I listed all of the first teamers we've signed under Ole, but I don't removing Bruno for purpose of discussion.

What more could AWB and Maguire have done, realistically? We were a poor team before they came in, conceding too many and scoring too little. They've improved our defence massively if you think about where we were before them! The number of games they played without rest is commendable too.

£120m for Maguire and AWB is not much difference to £90m for Ake & Cancelo, £100m for Otamendi and Walker, £100m for Mendy and Dias, especially when you consider the English tax.
So you have also conveniently excluded James, I wonder why?

Are you talking about the same Maguire who cost us £80m when he hasn't done much better than Smalling and Lindelof who we have sold the former for a quarter of his price....

JB7

The reason he needs a CB is because the one he bought last season for a WR fee is bang average. If he lived up to his price tag we wouldn't need one this summer.

The reason we need a RW is because he bought a RB who's dogshit going forward. So we now need to replace one of our best forwards for the fact he bought a RB who offers absolute feck all in attack. Guess what, even if we got Sancho that right side would still be pathetic cause you can't play football with a RB as useless at AWB on the ball.
The "bang average" centre back he brought in last season has come in and shown just how bad the other centre half - who was many peoples player of the bloody season in 2018/19 - is. A poor start to the season and clowns on here are completely rewriting history.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's not difficult to believe that Ole wanted a RW and a CB considering everyone and their nan knows they're they two biggest areas we need to improve on.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Forgot about those 2 actually! Though I'm not sure if Maguire was completely his idea considering we were just continuing on a saga from the previous year.

AWB was probably his idea though.
I don't know, senior figures at the club were making a big deal out of scouting the world for the best RBs and AWB's metrics were the best out of 804 right backs.