ESPN: Man United missed all of Solskjaer's targets including Sancho, Grealish - sources

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wouldn't be surprised tbh. Easing players in, new environment etc.
Trouble with that is if we lose again, he might not get the chance to ease them in, that could end up someone else's job. Newcastle aren't a pushover and Chelsea and Arsenal would love to put the boot in. I hope Ole has been learning more tactical awareness during the break.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Grealish is not a RW. Why would we pay up for Grealish and then play him out of position?
No, hes mainly a LW, but imo hes versatile enough to be played on both wings, as a #10 and even as a LCM in a 433. Also, neither Rashford nor Greenwood are wingers of any sort so if you stuck Rashford out right i dont think it would have made much difference really

Sea-Cow

Late to the thread so forgive me if this has already been said and discussed --

But my response to the article is -- so what? If he feels let down and that he can't get anything out of this squad then he should quit. Lets get a manager in that would be thrilled to work with this squad chalk full of internationals and incredibly expensive signings. There are quality players here, and promising young lads, and I am 100% certain that they can perform better than what we've seen.

Sea-Cow

And to be honest he should be kissing Woodward's hairy beanbag because now he has an excuse and gets to ride the fans sympathy a bit longer.

If we spent a billion on all his top targets and still got the shit performances, the refusal to make substitutions or rotate, the shitting on the squad players, etc., then he would have nowhere to hide.

Charlie Foley

Moyes - none of his targets were acquired, apart from Fellaini hahaha
LvG - probably 50-50 I would say
Jose - nuff said about his latter years though he was backed in Year 1 with all 4 of his targets.
Ole - got Bruno but nobody else.

We have a track record of transfer failure with everyone except LvG
Ole also wanted AWB and Maguire, right? I'd say they are better indicators of him being backed than even Bruno, as the latter came a window late (and even then right at the end of that window).

Foxbatt

It would not have made much difference because they will come and play in a shambolic team in a shambolic way.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Well, Liverpool apparently really wanted Werner this year so not everything went their way, either.
but he made it clear, from what I've heard, where he wanted to go. but that could just be rumour

ghagua

You've answered your own question there. Dortmund set their price and terms - Woodward/Judge just didn't take them seriously and didn't do any work on a reasonable backup if Sancho didn't come. Now we've not got Sancho or any attacker that will improve the first XI.
Sorry, my question was, how did they get played like fools? Not that they are not fools already. In order to get played like fools, Dortmund would have had to have misled them into thinking they would have a chance of signing him for less than the quoted price, which in this case was not true.

Marcelinho87

Signing both Sancho and Grealish would've meant spending close to £200 million.
Indeed but being a competent football club means we could recoup some of that outlay with sales but instead we keep them here or loan them out.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
And to be honest he should be kissing Woodward's hairy beanbag because now he has an excuse and gets to ride the fans sympathy a bit longer.

If we spent a billion on all his top targets and still got the shit performances, the refusal to make substitutions or rotate, the shitting on the squad players, etc., then he would have nowhere to hide.
Alternatively if we had enough quality players he might rotate players more and make earlier substitutions. I think most of us feel he probably should have rotated slightly more than he did in the run-in last season, but the huge gulf in quality between our starters and our backups does mean he can only do a player here and there.

Once VDB and Cavani are up to speed (and perhaps one or both of the new youngsters that we've signed) hopefully we'll be able to rotate better.

Mr PG

nonsense articles to sell papers. United only struggling because the team is not fit and had no pre-season period.