ESPN: Man United want evolution, not revolution under Erik ten Hag - sources

caid

Its an inability to admit they fecked up and most of their decisions have been fecking terrible. They still think theres something to be salvaged from Shaw, Wan Bisakka, Maguire and others. There isn't. We need a new keeper, 3 new defenders, 2 new midfielders and 2 forwards - a revolution.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Playing possession football isn't brain surgery, ffs.

Obviously - obviously - certain players will be more suited to ETH's ideas per default than others, but come on. It's not like we have 25+ players who absolutely cannot learn to do what ETH wants 'em to.

This place has gone insane - it's like some people embrace hysteria just for the sake of it.

FerociousCorgis

Obviously - obviously - certain players will be more suited to ETH's ideas per default than others, but come on. It's not like we have 25+ players who absolutely cannot learn to do what ETH wants 'em to.

This place has gone insane - it's like some people embrace hysteria just for the sake of it.
my biggest problem is the insanity of doing things over and over the same, and expecting different results. Pretty much goes Play shit options like mcfred>team struggles> people claim manager knows what they are doing and to stop questioning mcfred> results/performances of team are shit some more> manager replaced and new one comes in. Rinse and repeat. At some point we have to move these damn players off and stop coddling shit options. I want this club to be ruthless in a smart way. Yes there are obvious players you could move on like martial/ chong or something of people who havent been here really. I would rather see the starting spots changed and fitting in the depth best we can. Get in 2 new midfielders, sell maguire while he still has some sort of value, and completely revamp the middle/backline.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
They are setting expectations too high for Ten Hag. I think he would do well to give top 4 a fight. I believe next season United might not even make top 6.

Cathy Ferguson

Its an inability to admit they fecked up and most of their decisions have been fecking terrible. They still think theres something to be salvaged from Shaw, Wan Bisakka, Maguire and others. There isn't. We need a new keeper, 3 new defenders, 2 new midfielders and 2 forwards - a revolution.
No need to replace DDG and Shaw can be a very good player.

Pogba and Matic need to be replaced.

Hannibal can replace Mata.

So we need at least 2 CMs, RW, striker, and a CB. 5 players. Not easy when we get almost nothing for Bailly and Martial. So at least one free transfer.

RB will be for later even though few rate AWB or Dalot. We have to prioritize elsewhere. Maybe AWB can work on his touch 3h a day during summer.

FerociousCorgis

Gradual improvement over a number of years rather than the one year that Rangnick wanted. Our usual three transfers per year and renew the contracts of everyone who wants to stay.
man im trying to think of if you only give me 3 transfers where do i use them. Assuming some sort of 4-2-1-3/4-2-3-1 setup id prob transfer in 2 new central midfield options. Then prob bring in one option for the backline i guess, so many options there ha.

Sparky Rhiwabon

man im trying to think of if you only give me 3 transfers where do i use them. Assuming some sort of 4-2-1-3/4-2-3-1 setup id prob transfer in 2 new central midfield options. Then prob bring in one option for the backline i guess, so many options there ha.
Rangnick obviously thinks our full backs on either side are all crap (he’s got a point) for a start, before you start thinking of any more exciting positions.

FerociousCorgis

Rangnick obviously thinks our full backs on either side are all crap (he’s got a point) for a start, before you start thinking of any more exciting positions.
i was thinking the club might think there are youth/loan options we have that might be recalled to fill those. My 3 incomings were transfer incomings as in players to bring in from outside. Id think might be easier to integrate a youngster at FB than try and do that with a starting CM spot

Teja

There are 8 players that are most likely leaving the squad, so we need some players to backfill those I think that's where the 10 new players comment comes from (Matic, Mata, Bailly, Cavani, Lingard, Pogba, Henderson and Greenwood).

If we manage to somehow get rid of Maguire and AwB that'll be 10.

GK: DDG, Heaton?
CB: Lindelof, Varane, Maguire
RB: AwB, Dalot
LB: Shaw, Telles
DM: ???
#8: Fred, McTominay
#10: Bruno, Donny?, Hannibal?
LW: Sancho / Rashford
RW: ??
CF: Ronaldo / ??

Bolded ones I think will be fine in the starting XI next season.

Obvious key gaps are DM, RW.

Followed by a backup CF and potentially a starting CB if targets are available. Otherwise a punt on a youth option would be good enough and we go in to the next season with Varane, Maguire, Lindelof as the starters.

Getting a good RW and DM will transform this side. Hoping for a RW that's a ball carrier and a playmaking DM of the Carrick, Rodri, Busquets mould.

justsomebloke

3 players, 100-150m? That probably doesn't even cover the loss of Greenwood, Cavani and Pogba.

And ten Hag will have "the power of veto and influence over shortlists"? That doesn't exactly sound like being in the drivers seat. Which raises the question of what plan is recruitment working towards, exactly?

And Andreas Pereira is welcome back, of course. Not good enough to make it at Flamengo and consistently subpar for United, but still good enough.

mancan92

You think Fred and mctom can play possession football? You think AWB, maguire, dalot, rashford, de gea etc can play possession footba? Come on man.

justsomebloke

What did people really expect? That we replace entire team?
No, but maybe something a bit more incisive than pretty much just the same as previous years, in pretty much just the same way. Not to mention that we're losing 6 players even without selling or loaning out anyone.

dove

No, but maybe something a bit more incisive than pretty much just the same as previous years, in pretty much just the same way. Not to mention that we're losing 6 players even without selling or loaning out anyone.
Losing 6 players is fine, we need to trim down the squad as it’s just too big especially as we are not going be in CL. We will probably bring in 4 players. I just don’t think it’s realistic to expect us to buy like 6-7 starting 11 players in 1 window.

mattsville

Ragnick will have scrutinised every player and will give that info to ETH, there are those who are going to leave out of contract, those arsing around in the background getting a salary for doing nothing they are defo gone, then there are the players who are in the playing squad who should be performing but are not even trying, just promoting themselves on social media and using the club's stature to do so shutting down criticism with clever pr shit, they need to be targeted more than anything because they will continue to do so if let, there is probably another group though who have become fed up with that type of player being tolerated and have kind of given up themselves, these I would consider keeping if you believe they would get back on track if the other problem is fixed, it is complex and Ragnick will know where the root of the issues are, you normally do not make too many changes in a single window to cause too much change but the team is broken so you can make more changes than normal.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I guess the point that it’s easy to miss when you see how bad our players have been this season is - which of our players are capable of significant improvement - with a better fitness regime, with a manager able to better motivate and get the dressing room pulling together, with a more defined role in a better more defined system and tactics - and which ones aren’t.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You think Fred and mctom can play possession football? You think AWB, maguire, dalot, rashford, de gea etc can play possession footba? Come on man.
I didn't mention a single individual player in my post.

What I said was that obviously some players will be more suited to it than others.

I also said that playing possession football isn't brain surgery - which it isn't. It doesn't require exceptional qualities in terms of either technique or football intelligence. It's first and foremost a question of being able to follow instructions - as far as the system itself is concerned.

We need upgrades in several positions in terms of basic quality - for instance, I have a hard time seeing McTominay as anything but a squad player at best in a title winning team. That's about individual quality, though - it isn't about him being inherently incapable of playing "possession football".

If you think that most of our players are inherently deficient (in terms of technique and football intelligence) to the extent that they are per default unable to do what an average Ajax player does...then I think you're underestimating them in the extreme.

caid

No need to replace DDG and Shaw can be a very good player.

Pogba and Matic need to be replaced.

Hannibal can replace Mata.

So we need at least 2 CMs, RW, striker, and a CB. 5 players. Not easy when we get almost nothing for Bailly and Martial. So at least one free transfer.

RB will be for later even though few rate AWB or Dalot. We have to prioritize elsewhere. Maybe AWB can work on his touch 3h a day during summer.
DDG cant play with a high line, doesn't control his box let alone the space in his own half. Guardiola would move him on first. Maybe he isn't a priority for replacing this summer but in the next year he absolutely should be. Shaw is crap - he's lazy, he's overweight, often injured, not a very diligent defender or a particularly good one. He can put in a good cross from deep but wont make the overlapping runs to make them crosses really dangerous. He can control and pass a ball which makes him look like roberto carlos compared to wan bisakka and the other options but hes miles off the level needed.
I dont really care about the squad when i think we have about 2 or 3 first team players that should be starting in a years time. I just wouldn't worry about the subs bench at this point.
Sancho, Bruno and Varane i can see a first team future for. I'd live with Ronaldo, De Gea and Fred till next season. Rashford and Shaw have till january to save their united career, both earn too much for squad roles and look like shit professionals.
That leaves me looking for a cb, rb and dm this summer which is nothing, that should be a pretty standard summer. Squeeze in a mid level forward to cover for Ronaldo and ideally give some competition out wide.

AndySmith1990

I didn't mention a single individual player in my post.

What I said was that obviously some players will be more suited to it than others.

I also said that playing possession football isn't brain surgery - which it isn't. It doesn't require exceptional qualities in terms of either technique or football intelligence. It's first and foremost a question of being able to follow instructions - as far as the system itself is concerned.

We need upgrades in several positions in terms of basic quality - for instance, I have a hard time seeing McTominay as anything but a squad player at best in a title winning team. That's about individual quality, though - it isn't about him being inherently incapable of playing "possession football".

If you think that most of our players are inherently deficient (in terms of technique and football intelligence) to the extent that they are per default unable to do what an average Ajax player does...then I think you're underestimating them in the extreme.
You should have sent all that to Klopp before he replaced most of the Liverpool team who weren't able to do what he wanted.

3KDré

Fred can for sure. I think it's unfair people keeping putting him in the same bracket as McTominay.