ESPN's WC coverage

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Oh deary deary me :lol:

Chris Fowler a College Football analyst who looks like a shaved chimpanzee and obviously hasnt got a clue about sawker ,
a suspciously dark haired Steve McManaman and some South African bloke Ive never heard of!

At least Martin Tyler is commentating albeit with Efan Ekoku!

Jesus wept!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Alexi Lalas is such a friggin' twat. I normally like Americans but by jove, what a cnut. He's the Yankee Michael Ballack, without the skills.

Suedesi

The coverage was fantastic.

July 12, 2010

2010 World Cup Final on ABC: Most-Watched Men's World Cup Game Ever Netherlands-Spain Championship Match Earns 8.1 Rating and 15.5 Million Viewers ESPN Networks Finish 2010 World Cup +31% in Ratings, +41% in Viewers Thru 64 Matches

Sunday's 2010 FIFA World Cup Final on ABC - a 1-0 victory by Spain in extra time over the Netherlands - ranks as the most-watched Men's World Cup game ever. Based on Fast Nationals from The Nielsen Company, ABC's telecast delivered an 8.1 household rating, 9,389,000 households, and 15,545,000 viewers for the two-hour game window (2:30-5 p.m. ET). Only the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup Final (U.S.-China from the Rose Bowl) averaged more households and viewers for a soccer game - 11,307,000 and 17,975,000, respectively.

Additionally, the Final ranks as the fourth highest-rated Men's World Cup game on record, behind the 1994 Italy-Brazil Final (9.5 rating), the 1994 U.S.-Brazil round of 16 match (9.3), and the 2010 U.S.-Ghana Round of 16 game (8.5). Sunday's game also ranks behind the 1999 Women's World Cup Final, which delivered an 11.4 rating. The 8.1 for Netherlands-Spain is a 6% increase from the 2006 Italy-France Final (7.7 rating, excluding pre- and post-game coverage).

The top 10 metered markets for Sunday's four-hour telecast (including pre-and post-match programming) were: San Francisco (14.7), San Diego (13.6), New York (13.1), Miami-Ft. Lauderdale (12.0), Washington, D.C. (11.9), Los Angeles (11.3), Austin, Texas (10.4), Seattle-Tacoma (10.0), Cincinnati (9.5), and Boston (9.1).

ABC's coverage of the Uruguay-Germany 3rd Place match on Saturday delivered a 3.1 rating, 3,532,000 households, and 5,045,000 viewers.

"The 2010 FIFA World Cup was an overwhelming success for ESPN," said John Skipper, ESPN executive vice president, content. "We experienced record viewership across multiple platforms, including television, broadband, online and ESPN Audio, and it was evident from the overwhelmingly positive reaction just how much fans were drawn to the spectacle of this global sports event. We are already looking ahead with great anticipation to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil."
Can't imagine the ratings in 2022 when the US will host it. It'll be insane.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
It's an unmitigated success. Viewership for the final up 15%? Can't ask for much more really.

In terms of punditry I thought Martinez did very well and Gullit was not terrible either. Lalas and McManaman well we'll just leave them at that. They've always been mongoloids. You can't hate any of the commentary teams this time around. Tyler, Darke, Rae and Healey were great as always. Sure Harkes is a bit of a joke but paired with Darke I thought they did well.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I was pleasantly impressed with the coverage. Chris Fowler didn't do anything to embarrass himself and Roberto Martinez, Alexei Lalas, Ruud Gullit, and McManaman made for a good team. Having Martin Tyler helped immensely as well.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Foudy was mercifully limited to human interest pieces. I'd still like to dog her mightily though.

Gullit was very fair, Martinez was the best pundit, Bartlett was adequate, Klinsmann polished as ever, Macca ok but not very interesting. Lalas is something else though. At first he sounds plausible enough...comes out with a seemingly knowledgeable comment in a very polished media-savvy way, but when you think about what he said you realise it's a bunch of clueless, mongish bollocks. You could tell Macca wanted to say so at times but obviously wanted to ensure his breezy media gig continued so buttoned his lip.

Commentators were all good apart from Efan Ekoku. I can't believe that thick cnut actually played the game because he seems to be clueless about some very basic rules and tactics. Harkes was rubbish and should feck off. Thank the Lord Jesus Christ that Tommy Smyth was nowhere near a microphone.

MarylandMUFan

Foudy was mercifully limited to human interest pieces. I'd still like to dog her mightily though.

Gullit was very fair, Martinez was the best pundit, Bartlett was adequate, Klinsmann polished as ever, Macca ok but not very interesting. Lalas is something else though. At first he sounds plausible enough...comes out with a seemingly knowledgeable comment in a very polished media-savvy way, but when you think about what he said you realise it's a bunch of clueless, mongish bollocks. You could temm Macca wanted to say so at times but obviously wnated to ensure his breezy meida gig continued so buttoned his lip.

Commentators were all good apart from Efan Ekoku. I can't believe that thick cnut actually played the game because he seems to be clueless about some very basic rules and tactics. Harkes was rubbish and should feck off. Thank the Lord Jesus Christ that Tommy Smyth was nowhere near a microphone.
He was doing the radio broadcast. Between him and the Vuvuzela's it was pure torture. The TV coverage was fantastic considering it was ESPN.

Ferguson

I agree with most of what has already been said.

I found Harkes bearable as a token American commentator. I also didn't like Efan Ekoku much, but I assume he's there as the token African.

I don't think you can complain with the likes of Martin Tyler, Ian Darke and Ally McCoist. Chris Fowler, Mike Tirico and Bob Ley did professional work in my opinion even if they didn't know a whole lot. They just ask the questions.

Alexi Lalas as we all know is awful. Let's put it this way if Jim Rome who makes a sport out of ripping soccer every chance he gets makes a point out of saying how much he LOVES Lalas, then you know Lalas represents soccer in the ridiculous light which the haters over here want to put it in.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Bodes well for the coming season especially now that FSC is free on U-verse.

If you haven't already got it I heartily recommend U-Verse for internets and TV.

beergod

I kept waiting for someone to turn to Lalas and ask him what he has ever achieved in the game.

Alex

Bodes well for the coming season especially now that FSC is free on U-verse.

If you haven't already got it I heartily recommend U-Verse for internets and TV.
Explain more about this U-Verse

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The only thing I found annoying was that they would put each analyst's "Resume' " on the bottom left of the screen. "Ruud Gullit" member of the 1988 Dutch European Champs etc.

davisjw

Thought they did well too. Good ratings all around which will hopefully flood over into a bit of an increase in MLS viewership/attendance. Really want to see the US succeed.

MiamiSpartan

diagree, when you try to name drop Nick Saban into conversations with blokes who havent got a clue who he is then it comes across as retarded IMO
But most of the viewers know who Nick Saban is, and that's who they're speaking to. It's not out of the ordinary. On NFL shows, there might be references to Phil Jackson, or on college basketball shows references to Joe Torre.

Fowler never looked like he was clueless. For a guy who I don't believe has ever been near soccer/football coverage (at least not in the 16 or so years that ESPN has made an effort covering it), he did extremely well. Some of his little tidbits that sound off-handed may have been prepared, but he executed them smoothly. He came off as a true professional, IMHO.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah I thought Fowler did well too. Next time we might see the likes of Becks and Henry in the studio.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
I believe Fowler, the guy from the Jozy shirt swap commercial, and Bob Ley are the triumvirate of soccer lovers in Bristol.

Alex

I thought Fowler did well, he wasnt an idiot, sure some of what he said was different to what a purist would say, but he still did a good job. Also, he is a familiar face for a lot of fans, and in fairness he is absolutely excellent as a host for college football, and let's be honest the most important thing that the host does is drive the conversation by the analysts so he wasnt chosen for his footballing knowledge, but for the fact that he has been a host for well over a decade on ESPN and was a familiar face for most viewers.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I believe Fowler, the guy from the Jozy shirt swap commercial, and Bob Ley are the triumvirate of soccer lovers in Bristol.
Did you watch the 94 World Cup. They had an absolute muppet named Jack Edwards who would use Ice Hockey style commentating in the matches (he dribbles in the box, SHOT - SCOOOOORE!), and then use loads of MLB, NFL, and NBA analogies in the commentary. (x player plays for Ajax - who are the New York Yankees of Dutch Soccer). It was sad.

So from there to Foudy, to this team is a massive improvement, especially as Tommy Smyth was nowhere to be seen.

dhstriker

President of the Jamie Redknapp fan club
I thought the WC coverage was terrific. The Americans were horrible at commentary, as always, but you have to admit that the Brits are much more linguistically gifted than Americans.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
I thought to myself the other day, that guy Fowler is doing really well. You can tell he's a professional.

The one that annoyed me immensely was the one that kept saying "Ian" at the end of his sentences.

"This is how you want to play, you want to push up high so you catch them in offside trap, Ian" type of dialogue :mad: I don't think he was on the studio panel, but he was commentating