ETH: "We need new players and quality players. We will try and convince them to join." | Mirror: ETH believes FDJ will join Utd over Chelsea

el3mel

My god still banging on about Jose :lol: I suppose some truly never get over their first love.
Whatever you like it or not, Mourinho is part of our history. He'll get mentioned, and if anything, whatever shit we're experiencing now makes both his period and LVG's look like title winners in comparison.

Greck

So are we playing sexy football now??? I thought 80% of ole outers believed that the squad wa good enough and just needed a tactically astute manager to unlock their potential. And if winning things is the criteria then we are certainly on course to win the league 1 trophy in his third season as currently we look like winning the square root of feck all.
Excuse me what part of this is intended to make Ole any less to blame? At least when people thought the squad could be unlocked it meant they thought Ole had built something with potential. It doesn't make him look better now that we've established he failed at even that. He built a shower of shite.

el3mel

So are we playing sexy football now??? I thought 80% of ole outers believed that the squad wa good enough and just needed a tactically astute manager to unlock their potential. And if winning things is the criteria then we are certainly on course to win the league 1 trophy in his third season as currently we look like winning the square root of feck all.
On the other hand the Ole inners were telling us he left the team at far better shape than what he inherited, which guess what, what he left behind him is getting thrashed left, right and center.

AFC NimbleThumb

Ole is gone. Move the feck on.

Oranges038

Well the club are supposedly trying to not overspend (having already done so for Martinez), I don't see how this is viable unless a Woodward approach is utilised throwing money at the first team relentlessly. United have made so much of the approach to spend big now it seems it's the only methodology that will rescue the season. Amazing that it took 180 mins of league experience for ETH to come to this realisation that the players are significantly below requirements.
Part of me thinks he's put these players put knowing they aren't up to scratch. To prove they need to go and he needs new players.

A lot of players need to go and money needs to be spent, but they can't just keep throwing it around.

Look at what Edu has done at Arsenal, gotten rid of the highly paid underperformers, Utd need to do the same now.

DON’T PANIC ™

Maybe it’s time to promote from within, the way saf did with the class of 92. Better to train a young squad to play the way the manager wants than to buy in mediocre past it players who won’t be able to adapt to the managers style.

RedAlert27

Obviously not ”d’uh“ or the problems would have been fixed wouldn’t they? D’uh. Fecking genius you are.
Yeah. Every single problem we've had for nearly a decade should've been fixed by now because our club has been brilliant at fixing them. But yes you keep praising Lord Rangnick for doing absolutely feck all

bludsucker

Excuse me what part of this is intended to make Ole any less to blame? At least when people thought the squad could be unlocked it meant they thought Ole had built something with potential. It doesn't make him look better now that we've established he failed at even that. He built a shower of shite.
On the other hand the Ole inners were telling us he left the team at far better shape than what he inherited, which guess what, what he left behind him is getting thrashed left, right and center.
Well maybe what he left with is also of note……his coaching and man management. At least he got a tune out of this squad while he was here. And maybe just maybe the people who followed him were not that much better than him. I mean its like saying that the reason ole didn’t win anything with this squad was because of the shower of shite jose left him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I mean Martinez is clearly on him, the board suggested Pau Torres.

el3mel

Well maybe what he left with is also of note……his coaching and man management. At least he got a tune out of this squad while he was here. And maybe just maybe the people who followed him were not that much better than him. I mean its like saying that the reason ole didn’t win anything with this squad was because of the shower of shite jose left him.
The squad Mourinho left got Ole his job thanks to the honeymoon period, he was just hired as a caretaker, remember ?

Meanwhile the squad he left was shit under Ralf and is still shit now. That's his legacy. That's what he left behind, a squad everyone one to throw off the window. Meanwhile Ole inners were telling us he left the team at a better place and he made a "cultural reset" and all this bullshit.

RuudTom83

I can’t see a group of shiny new committed players arriving anytime soon sadly.

ETH is going to have to change his plans and play some of the youth.

Needs a more pragmatic approach as well, try a back 3 or 5 in midfield.

Aim for a few 1-0 victories.

AFC NimbleThumb

I mean Martinez is clearly on him, the board suggested Pau Torres.
The guy simply has to be moved to DM, we need prime Rio, an Ederson type & proper full backs to make it work with him at CB & even then he’s simply going to be in a battle every game.

I like the idea of a Martinez type but to the left & right he’s got the chuckle brothers, whilst being too short for the league in that position. If we were prime Barca then he could be Javier Mascherano but we ain’t.

If he keeps playing him at CB then I’d begin to question his judgement.

Jacob

I hope the crybabies at our club don't constitute this as manager throwing them under the bus :nervous:

But, the pressure is on the board to get few signings in next 2 weeks. So, what does the Caf think? How many will we sign and who?
Where is this quote from?

bludsucker

The squad Mourinho left got Ole his job thanks to the honeymoon period, he was just hired as a caretaker, remember ?

Meanwhile the squad he left was shit under Ralf and is still shit now. That's his legacy. That's what he left behind, a squad everyone one to throw off the window. Meanwhile Ole inners were telling us he left the team at a better place and he made a "cultural reset" and all this bullshit.
So if the squad mourinho had was good enough then why couldn’t he get the results with them during his third season. Why was he moaning at every presser at not getting maguire and throwing everything and everyone under the bus.

Greck

He built a counterattacking machine that breaks down when it has to take initiative. The inability of this squad to play on the front foot is also why he won nothing. It was not sustainable for silverware. We would beat a big team then drop points to some middling team the next week, rinse repeat, over and over. Getting a tune was playing on the counter. This team never looked competent playing any other way and that's down to the way he and Jose wasted money.

Stig

Not hugely impressed by his post-match interview. seemed to say very little and sounded rather muddled and have to wonder if he is muddling players. Wouldn't say what it was they didn't do that he told them to do. I want him to be more angry

Didn't RR say exactly the same thing?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We needed 6-7 new players bedded in before the season started to avoid what has now already come to pass: Bad results that heaps pressure on the new manager.

I don't see how this doesn't end with Ten Hag being ousted by the players we have now. Far easier to sack a manager than to replace a whole squad of players.

bludsucker

He built a counterattacking machine that breaks down when it has to take initiative. The inability of this squad to play on the front foot is also why he won nothing. It was not sustainable for silverware. We would beat a big team then drop points to some middling team the next week, rinse repeat, over and over. Getting a tune was playing on the counter. This team never looked competent playing any other way and that's down to the way he and Jose wasted money.
And losing 2-1 and 4-0 to relegation fodder looks quite sustainable and is probably the right way to winning silverware in the league 1.

el3mel

So if the squad mourinho had was good enough then why couldn’t he get the results with them during his third season. Why was he moaning at every presser at not getting maguire and throwing everything and everyone under the bus.
You're trying to shift goalposts from the actual point that Ole left a shit legacy behind him because you have no reply on it. Anyway, the squad Mourinho left had a decent quality which showed the 2 seasons before it but he lost the dressing room and the players' truth by his third season. Still, the squad was good enough to give Ole the full job through the honeymoon. Ole then started to sell and buy players to build his own squad, which guess what, won feck all in 2.5 seasons and has been utter shit under the 2 managers who came after him.

Now let's focus on Ole's legacy. What did he leave behind him for the next manager ?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So this guy needed 2 humiliations in order to realize that?
3 months and pre-season were fine and dandy till not, right ?
He said from preseason we were making mistakes. But you can’t judge real character from friendlies

Abusian

Jokes and mocking them aside, we need a Barcelona type of summer where we really push the boat out and bring in a lot of new, quality players. Even if that limits what we can spend next summer, we need to raise the quality of this team now.

As for the argument about too much squad upheaval causing issues in the team, it literally can't get worse than it is right now
If you were a quality player would you go to OT at the moment?

We needed to do our business early. Our pathetic showing over the first two games along with no CL football will put everyone decent off joining now. And we shouldn’t get desperate and throw big money at average players: that just creates a future problem. I predict this season we’re going to be seeing a lot of minutes from our younger players and I’m happy with that: with Garner, Garnacho, Hannibal, Zidane and Laird it looks like a decent crop. We can’t just keep lurching from one crisis to the next, we have to be strategic and deal once and for all with our structural problems.

Reactions: Penna

Greck

And losing 2-1 and 4-0 to relegation fodder looks quite sustainable and is probably the right way to winning silverware in the league 1.
I don't know what kind of math you're trying to do here but what is happening now is a host of problems that doesn't vindicate Ole. Way to try and present it as zero sum where every stumble without him makes him a better manager.

Wheato

It’s unlikely that the same players that got us into this situation will get us out of this situation, but nobody is going to be wanting to join us while we are throwing the towel in after 2 games.

frostbite

The guy simply has to be moved to DM, we need prime Rio, an Ederson type & proper full backs to make it work with him at CB & even then he’s simply going to be in a battle every game.

I like the idea of a Martinez type but to the left & right he’s got the chuckle brothers, whilst being too short for the league in that position. If we were prime Barca then he could be Javier Mascherano but we ain’t.

If he keeps playing him at CB then I’d begin to question his judgement.
It is anything but simple. ETH asked for the shortest center back in the PL, against the wishes of the board, spent 60 million on him while we had more pressing needs on midfield, had worked with him before and said he views him as a center back not as a DM. ETH is a head strong guy.

How easy is it for ETH to accept that he made a huge mistake?

bludsucker

You're trying to shift goalposts from the actual point that Ole left a shit legacy behind him because you have no reply on it. Anyway, the squad Mourinho left had a decent quality which showed the 2 seasons before it but he lost the dressing room and the players' truth by his third season. Still, the squad was good enough to give Ole the full job through the honeymoon. Ole then started to sell and buy players to build his own squad, which guess what, won feck all in 2.5 seasons and has been utter shit under the 2 managers who came after him.

Now let's focus on Ole's legacy. What did he leave behind him for the next manager ?
What goalposts have I shifted? If ole left such shit squad then why were the ole outers shouting out for a tactically astute manager who could unlock the potential of this squad with their ‘tactical coaching’ as his squad was supposedly full of potential.

Also maybe there is the possibility that ole’s coaching ability was downplayed quite a bit as he could and did get a tune out of this squad for the majority of his tenure here and those who followed him aren’t/weren’t good enough.

caid

One of your worst looking players so far has been a player he brought in… :nervous:
Our centre backs have an impossible job. You'll see plenty of feck ups from them this season for various reasons but its mostly because they have a never ending parade of attacks to deal with. They'll do a good job and cut out 5 dangerous attacks and be crucified for being 2nd best the 6th time and that'll be in the first 10 minutes.
They'll be pushed up to the half way line with De Gea cemented to his goal line and if they're lucky they'll have support from Fred when the attack breaks down. Wan Bisakka will be jogging back, Shaw will be in no mans land, the rest of the team dont defend, its beneath them. Shuffle the names around as you please, there isn't much between them.
He might be a bad signing ill suited to the Premier League but i wasn't excited about Ten Hag for his talent in the transfer market and frankly a learning curve was expected, there was a learning curve for Guardiola it'd be weird to expect otherwise. I dont think he should be that heavily involved in transfers. Wanting to build up a half dozen players he's worked with previously and feels he can trust to instill a new mentality isn't necessarily a bad idea though.
Its hard for him to do any wrong at the moment to be honest. Hes not responsible for the state of our team, i wont hold him responsible for any failures in the transfer market. Hes not responsible for getting the players to put in some effot and work (thats on them). I probably wont judge his ability to coach players until he has some players that can be coached and i'll be judging him based on the quality of the players. I wont be expecting him to work miracles with Arnautovic or Igahlo or whatever shite they provide him with.

el3mel

What goalposts have I shifted? If ole left such shit squad then why were the ole outers shouting out for a tactically astute manager who could unlock the potential of this squad with their ‘tactical coaching’ as his squad was supposedly full of potential.

Also maybe there is the possibility that ole’s coaching ability was downplayed quite a bit as he could and did get a tune out of this squad for the majority of his tenure here and those who followed him aren’t/weren’t good enough.
Answer the question.

AFC NimbleThumb

It is anything but simple. ETH asked for the shortest center back in the PL, against the wishes of the board, spent 60 million on him while we had more pressing needs on midfield, had worked with him before and said he views him as a center back not as a DM. ETH is a head strong guy.

How easy is it for ETH to accept that he made a huge mistake?
You’ve misinterpreted the use of the word in my post.

bludsucker

Answer the question.
Ole’s legacy as you put it is a squad that finished 3rd and 2nd in consecutive seasons. If the following manager cannot get a tune out of them then it is in no way a blot on his legacy. It’s like saying moyes finishing 7th is somehow fergie’s fault as he left him a shite squad.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I think the biggest issue with this group is a lack of fight, passion and tenacity. Do the players think they've made it and set up for life once you've arrived at the club? The basic mistakes players are making is somewhat confusing and numbing.
This group is beyond salvaging. They can be good footballers but it's not going to happen here.

Adamsk7

I honestly wouldn’t mind if we just got some reliable Premier League players in. Other top teams seem to be good at bringing in players from the likes of Brighton, Brentford etc. I would honestly settle for some hard working, reliable players where you know what you’re gonna get every week.
Yes, that won’t help us win leagues but it will help us tighten the feck up and gain some consistency.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

I hope the crybabies at our club don't constitute this as manager throwing them under the bus :nervous:

But, the pressure is on the board to get few signings in next 2 weeks. So, what does the Caf think? How many will we sign and who?
Yeah Arnautovic is quality isn't it?

SirScholes

Like getting 3rd and 2nd with mcfred. And that too with maguire 80m captain while setting away wins records along the way. Maybe it should be you who should be heating up. Oh how the standards have slipped. Or were those standards only for ole.
Mate they were pathetic seasons with zero fans, unprecedented times. can you remind me what we actually won? Did we close the gap on the title? Were we ever close? And in his 3rd season when he’d had time to fully “Ole style” the team, what happened?

PieCrust

The club already fecked over this season by refusing to get any meaningful transfers in when in matterd. Full panic mode now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
After the start we've had, all we've got is money now to convince players to come. We're highly unlikely to be in the CL next season (8/1 with bookies) so you're asking players to write that off until 2024 at the earliest.