2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He's the reason why we targetted a 30 year old right back rather than a 25 year old in his prime during the transfer window.

Ole wants a clear pathway for Ethan into the first team over the next few years. The failure to get Trippier will just mean he gets fasttracked.
Is it? He has been injured though but he has barely gotten so much as a sniff in the first team and will be 21 during next pre-season.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just reading a couple of Swansea forums, they’re not quite raving about him just yet.

Mickson

Just reading a couple of Swansea forums, they’re not quite raving about him just yet.
They are incredibly negative about everything. Laird's key passes and created chances are ridiculous even if it would be for a number 10.

2cents

Scout
They are incredibly negative about everything. Laird's key passes and created chances are ridiculous even if it would be for a number 10.

Yeah, seen him described as “pedestrian” and contributing nothing vs Luton. In fairness there’s a lot more enthusiasm for him on Twitter.

Alemar

He looks to be playing like a winger from the different highlights of his performances.
Yes, and we don’t play wingbacks. So to - potentially - play for us, he also needs to get defensive prowess somehow. It’s excellent that he looks good going forward, but it’s not enough to make the squad here, so long way to go yet

Chairman Steve

Never go off Twitter too much for the lower league fan opinion. I’d just go to their fan forum to gauge opinion

Most Twitter interactions go something like this:
@Lowerleaguefan That kid we got from Utd on loan looks pretty decent!
@Utdfan01 How did he play
@Utdfan02 How did he do today man
@Utdfan03 Was he any good?
@Sancholicious He’s fecking mint bro. True baller. Lit af fam
@Dumbutdpunname My right back man
@14yearoldgooner Fraud af. Our kids are better
@Utdfan04 BUT HOW DID HE DO BRO

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He looks to be playing like a winger from the different highlights of his performances.
Think they play with wing backs so yes he's probably doing more attacking than defending which is a bit of a pity but still good experience. Main thing is game time and proving his fitness over a full season at this point.

dutchred

Was hoping he would play tonight to see how he handles a good PL team but he is on the bench

Bertie Wooster

Think they play with wing backs so yes he's probably doing more attacking than defending which is a bit of a pity but still good experience. Main thing is game time and proving his fitness over a full season at this point.
Yeah, that was both the good and bad aspects of him going to another Russell Martin team this season.

The positives were he was likely to get regular game time, and this time at championship level, as Martin's style allows the wing backs to in effect play as wingers and asks more of their attacking qualities than defensive. So that really plays into Laird's strengths.

The negative of all of that was that he wouldn't really be working on his weaknesses - the defensive / positional side of the game - and his experience is being gained in a role - WB/Winger - that we don't play.

Overall, given how much time he's lost to injury, and how some loanees struggle for games, especially as teens, then it's been great to find a manager who plays a role so ideally suited for Laird and that's provided regular starts and impressive displays. Next season, though, he really needs a loan where he plays as a more traditional attacking RB and looks to blend addressing the defensive side of his game with continuing to impress going forward.

SAF is the GOAT

Anyone seeing him regularly ? will he be suitable to united next year in the squad ?

city-puma

I think he might develop to Raphinha-like winger. Not necessarily a full- or wing-back.

SAF is the GOAT

Saw a compilation of him today on YT from this season

From a 5 minute video I've counted at least 5 clear cut chances that had to be goals but his teammates are just so weak.

He has 3 assists in 20 appearances this season and could of double if not probably triple his stats by now. Its so refreshing to see an actual potential RB that could give us width from the right side.

pascell

Saw a compilation of him today on YT from this season

From a 5 minute video I've counted at least 5 clear cut chances that had to be goals but his teammates are just so weak.

He has 3 assists in 20 appearances this season and could of double if not probably triple his stats by now. Its so refreshing to see an actual potential RB that could give us width from the right side.
I've said it since I saw him for the u18s that he'll make it here, it was just whether he could get over his injuries and he has. If he can bring what his capable of to our first team, he'll transform our play going forward as we're too reliant on the left hand side.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I've said it since I saw him for the u18s that he'll make it here, it was just whether he could get over his injuries and he has. If he can bring what his capable of to our first team, he'll transform our play going forward as we're too reliant on the left hand side.
He always looked a baller to me, but I want to see him tested defensively more and not play as a glorified winger. That's why I like the move to a side with a back 4.

CraftySoAndSo

Officially joined Bournemouth on loan for the rest of the season. Seems under Martin at MK Dons and Swansea and now Bournemouth he's getting lots of experience playing in teams who's philosophy is around keeping the ball really well. Hopefully that's deliberate and we're following suit soon.

2cents

Scout
Still injured?

TwoSheds

Parker made him disappear. He's not in the line up, nor on the bench.
Parker's a cnut. Certainly doesn't know how to pick a full back either given what he did to Joey Bryan. Bournemouth will get flattened in the Prem with Parker just like Fulham did.

Dazzmondo

The decision to take Laird away from Swansea mid-season when he was playing so well there only to send him to Bournemouth where he never plays was such a terrible decision and I felt that at the time. Hindsight shows it was an even worse decision. Whoever's in charge of our loans is completely incompetent as are most people involved at the club.

SAF is the GOAT

Scott Parker: “I’ve seen a big improvement in Ethan.” He told Jacob Tanswell of DorsetLive. “I think I’ve said to you before that he’s definitely got a part to play here. I think his levels have improved.

“He’s come into an environment which is probably very, very different. He had an injury, so it’s been a bit slow. But certainly, Ethan has shown some big qualities and big moments and I know that he can contribute to us for the run-in.”

We have previously assessed the reasons behind the failed loan move for the exciting full-back, and Parker highlighted his interrupted introduction and the complexity of the way Bournemouth operate.

“Definitely fitness. Because, first of all, he missed six or seven weeks. He then came into a training environment that is intense and it’s very hard. So the timing of him picking up that injury was difficult.

“Then the complexity of what we ask and how we want to play, it has taken a little bit of time, along with a few others. But like I said, I’ve seen a big improvement in Ethan and I’d like to think that he can have a role to play between now and the end.”

TwoSheds

Complexity :lol:

I think he's more of a twat than Lampard and Gerrard combined.

2cents

Scout
Looking forward to being able to see him properly in the second half

Status
Not open for further replies.