Ethan Laird | Bournemouth loan watch

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The main problem with this kid isn't the talent that we all know he has but the amount of injuries this kid gets.

Ralf(or another manager) could have a look at him next summer and decide if he's ready to play in the big boys league or he needs more experience.
True but his fitness has improved quite substantially, knock on wood. Very cautiously optimistic that he’ll get his chance sooner rather than later.

pascell

The main problem with this kid isn't the talent that we all know he has but the amount of injuries this kid gets.

Ralf(or another manager) could have a look at him next summer and decide if he's ready to play in the big boys league or he needs more experience.
Laird has played 18 of 20 league games for Swansea this season, completing 90 minutes in all but 3 games, one when he came on as a substitute a few days after moving to Swansea on loan. I'm pretty sure that in one of the other games, he went off with a knock but them started the next game.

He also played in 24 games for MK Dons the season before too after moving there on loan in January 2020.

He's been relatively injury free for a while now (I hope this post doesn't jinx it).

SAF is the GOAT

Laird has played 18 of 20 league games for Swansea this season, completing 90 minutes in all but 3 games, one when he came on as a substitute a few days after moving to Swansea on loan. I'm pretty sure that in one of the other games, he went off with a knock but them started the next game.

He also played in 24 games for MK Dons the season before too after moving there on loan in January 2020.

He's been relatively injury free for a while now (I hope this post doesn't jinx it).
Knock on wood

SAF is the GOAT

No Swansea City player has created more big chances in the Championship this season than [5].
also rank 1st among his teammates for successful dribbles [37] and tackles [28] [StatmanDave]
I Wonder how much tackles he has compared to AWB ?

Idxomer

Russel Martin uses him in the same way Potter uses Lamptey as an attacking outlet on the wing, so he's hugging the touchline most of the time.

The things he'll need to work on are his build-up play and defensive game if he wants to be a fullback at the club.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not havig a dig at your post...
I've been wondering for a while how many of AWB's tackle are down to his poor positioning!
If you're bored, you can count them. Even then, poor positioning is a subjective opinion.

saivet

For context Swansea are 16th and Bournemouth are top of the Championship, so a good step up for him if this happens.

OmarUnited4ever

For context Swansea are 16th and Bournemouth are top of the Championship, so a good step up for him if this happens.
Based on what I read here, he starts regularly for Swansea, would that be the case If he moves to Bournemouth?

I think for his development it's best he continues to play matches regularly without any disruption, even if Swansea aren't the best team now, for Laird, who battled injuries, would definitely benefit from getting used to men's football and get 30+ matches in a season under his belt

JohnnyLaw

Seems a risky move considering how much he’s played for Swansea.

Would be interesting to see how he’d fare playing at fullback rather than as a winger though.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Could be a good route for him to establish him there and then stay with them next year when they are in the PL.

Pronewbie

Peep
A Swansea fan on Reddit mentioned that their manager is running Laird into the ground and that it'd be good for him to have a breather.

The move is a double-edged sword especially since Swansea play with a back 5 while Bournemouth play a back 4. But if he can adapt and become a regular then that would be even better for United and the lad.

I'd be delighted with a free AWB alternative next season.

Thiagoal

I was hoping that we’d recalled him to put pressure on our own right back spot. Not overly impressed with Dalot and AWB’s flaws we all know about

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Seems a risky move considering how much he’s played for Swansea.

Would be interesting to see how he’d fare playing at fullback rather than as a winger though.
Yes, quite risky, but it certainly would be interesting to see him in a back four instead of a five. Could it be that United want him to get exposure as a RB instead of a RWB?
We all know how talented he is going forward, we need to know how good defensively he is.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yes, quite risky, but it certainly would be interesting to see him in a back four instead of a five. Could it be that United want him to get exposure as a RB instead of a RWB?
We all know how talented he is going forward, we need to know how good defensively he is.
That certainly makes the most sense along with a return to Bournemouth next season if they do indeed come back to the PL next year. Be great experience for him

Robbo*

Completely agree, unless we do end up bringing in a permanent manager that plays 3 at the back then he should learn how to play where Dalot has been playing lately.

Idxomer

Seems it's confirmed he's going to Bournemouth, an interesting move but a bit risky.

Hope he stays healthy and keeps playing.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
This is why I actually want him to see him tested defensively instead of playing like a glorified winger because he's a baller.

Out of all the kids he has the easiest path into the first team.

SAFMUTD

It must been negotiated that he'll start at Bournemouth otherwise it makes no sense to move him.

It'll be interesting seeing him start in a back 4.

CM

Bit of a strange one to cut the loan at Swansea short if he's doing well there. Bournemouth might be a better challenge to gauge Laird's character and true ability but there's a lot to be said for continuity, especially for a young player.

I hope we know what we're doing here.

Thiagoal

Not sure why everyone is worrying about this. Clearly Bournemouth has come in with the offer of regular first team football or there is no way we’d have cancelled the Swansea loan. In any case, if he has the elite ability and skills to play for United (which I think he has) then he will force the manager to play him in every game. If he’s being dropped for a Championship right back then he’s clearly not as good as I’d hoped!

davidmichael

I can only imagine Scott Parker must have agreed to Laird being first choice or playing a certain percentage of games between now and the end of the season for United to agree to recall Laird then loan him to Bournemouth seeing as he’s first choice at Swansea.

It’s a great move potentially though as Laird will be playing as a right back in a back four, for the top of the table team and in arguably the most physical league in Europe so he’ll learn a lot if playing most weeks and it’ll show us his defensive and positional ability which is all that would stop me picking him for United as going forward he’s brilliant and very much a modern day full back.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Even as a rotation option it would be a good move for him, should be good enough to make himself in contention if he wants to take the next step. much better to play for an attacking dominating team in a position we need him.

davidmichael

I have just read that Bournemouth have agreed to pay a higher loan fee and a bigger portion of his wages so that will probably factor in as well. I just hope he forces his way into the first team.
https://theathletic.com/news/manche...-swansea-to-bournemouth-on-loan/zrylJhlaeyTA/
I don’t imagine he’s on much wages wise right now nor will the loan fee be anything that helps us bring anyone in so I just don’t see United recalling Laird then loaning him to Bournemouth unless there’s an agreement over playing time as he’s first choice at Swansea.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This is why I actually want him to see him tested defensively instead of playing like a glorified winger because he's a baller.

Out of all the kids he has the easiest path into the first team.
If he's so good as winger than as FB, he could be a winger then. No reason he HAS to be a FB.

Bondi77

I don’t imagine he’s on much wages wise right now nor will the loan fee be anything that helps us bring anyone in so I just don’t see United recalling Laird then loaning him to Bournemouth unless there’s an agreement over playing time as he’s first choice at Swansea.
With any loan there has to be an indication that he will get playing time but the player has to prove he is good enough at his new club to get it...No manager is going to play him if he is not up to the step up in standard.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
If he's so good as winger than as FB, he could be a winger then. No reason he HAS to be a FB.
He's great but doubt he'll ever have the skill, flair, creativity and scoring ability to truly be a Man United winger.

I have watched a lot of youth football and he's one of the best right backs I've seen at that level. His quality and the pathway is too easy to mess it up, if so, I guess get Livramento/Mazraoui.