Ethan Laird | Bournemouth loan watch

city-puma

A big opportunity for him. Scott Park plays progressive football. Laird might play as a winger actually. Will see.

macheda14

A big opportunity for him. Scott Park plays progressive football. Laird might play as a winger actually. Will see.
I hope not, want him to learn the defensive side more. His attacking side is pretty much proven, he was one of Swansea’s only outlets.

SAFMUTD

It may be that we're thinking about Bournemouth going up to the premier league next season and we could extend his loan there.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
uprooting him mid season seems a bit crazy personally. Was he not playing regularly at Swansea

Mainoldo

Moving from mid table to a top of the league battle. Nothing wrong with a level up loan if it’s continuous to his development. It’s not Swansea’s player, he’s ours so tough luck.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Moving from mid table to a top of the league battle. Nothing wrong with a level up loan if it’s continuous to his development. It’s not Swansea’s player, he’s ours so tough luck.
There's generally ways to build relationships though, and Swansea has been a very good club for teams to send their players on loan to over the years, it would be foolish of us to burn that bridge so hopefully we've handled this diplomatically if we are doing this.

MileStolar

There's generally ways to build relationships though, and Swansea has been a very good club for teams to send their players on loan to over the years, it would be foolish of us to burn that bridge so hopefully we've handled this diplomatically if we are doing this.
We can send them Phil Jones for 6 months to sweeten up the relationship.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's great but doubt he'll ever have the skill, flair, creativity and scoring ability to truly be a Man United winger.

I have watched a lot of youth football and he's one of the best right backs I've seen at that level. His quality and the pathway is too easy to mess it up, if so, I guess get Livramento/Mazraoui.
I have no clue who are those later two, man :D.

I mean, TAA's defending is amateur most times, but his attacking output is so good.

I prefer Laird to get games and honing his best attribute, instead of being jack of all trade FB.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If he is playing well and key player for Swansea then we should just let him continue this season, changing clubs midseason is always risky.

Also we should have good relationship with clubs, don't think this goes well with Swansea

Ogaranya

He plays more like a wingback, he is good in the attacking phase but needs to improve on his defending or maybe he can be converted to be a full blown traditional winger.

Mickson

Bournemouth is top of the table, so that might be a reason. Not that I think it's that important, Swansea probably dominate games more than any other team in the league (highest possession) so how important is it really that you need to change mid-season, I don't know. Another reason, and a bigger one I might add, can be that Bournemouth plays with a back four, which United may be tempted to test Laird in, and if they 'guarantee' that Laird will play, it's a good deal for United. Remember, as well, that Bournemouth pays a higher loan fee and more of Laird's salary. That should not be a high fee but it probably affect United's reasoning behind the decision. So all in all I think it's a little bit of everything that has made United take this decision. It's worth noting that Laird has been, by far, our best loane. A bit harsh on Swansea who has played him reguarly.

Adam-Utd

sounds like just the glazernomics move we’d expect.

I bet what’s right for Laird wasn’t even considered, as soon as Bournemouth offered more money that was it, done deal.

Whatever saves the most money.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
sounds like just the glazernomics move we’d expect.

I bet what’s right for Laird wasn’t even considered, as soon as Bournemouth offered more money that was it, done deal.

Whatever saves the most money.
Do you not think though that it's probably important to us he get game time in a back 4 instead of playing as a quasi winger? And as someone said, if he does well there's the possibility of a Prem loan next year. I think this move would be made for sporting reasons and while you're there, might as well negotiate the salary / fee, not the other way around.

Adam-Utd

Do you not think though that it's probably important to us he get game time in a back 4 instead of playing as a quasi winger? And as someone said, if he does well there's the possibility of a Prem loan next year. I think this move would be made for sporting reasons and while you're there, might as well negotiate the salary / fee, not the other way around.
if there’s genuine reasoning behind the move then great, but i’m not always convinced with our management these days.

Time will tell anyway, maybe Parker has specifically asked for him and plans to use him as a rampaging full back - then great.

I worry though he will just be used as a bit part player or backup and the next few months will be wasted when he was doing well at Swansea

TwoSheds

if there’s genuine reasoning behind the move then great, but i’m not always convinced with our management these days.

Time will tell anyway, maybe Parker has specifically asked for him and plans to use him as a rampaging full back - then great.

I worry though he will just be used as a bit part player or backup and the next few months will be wasted when he was doing well at Swansea
There will be a clause in there about his game time I'm sure. Also if he gets the opportunity and doesn't take it then that might prove something about how ready he is for Premier League football. I think he would take his opportunity as long as he stays fit though.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Makes sense.

Hopefully Bournemouth get promoted, because we can easily send him back on loan there next season and see how he handles the PL. Basically what we should’ve done with Tuanzebe that season Villa got promoted, and what we did successfully with Henderson (but then fumbled what to do after that!)

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Can't wait to see him at Bournemouth, they really do play some great football, and he will be asked to get forward as much as possible.

Nick7

Bournemouth is top of the table, so that might be a reason. Not that I think it's that important, Swansea probably dominate games more than any other team in the league (highest possession) so how important is it really that you need to change mid-season, I don't know. Another reason, and a bigger one I might add, can be that Bournemouth plays with a back four, which United may be tempted to test Laird in, and if they 'guarantee' that Laird will play, it's a good deal for United. Remember, as well, that Bournemouth pays a higher loan fee and more of Laird's salary. That should not be a high fee but it probably affect United's reasoning behind the decision. So all in all I think it's a little bit of everything that has made United take this decision. It's worth noting that Laird has been, by far, our best loane. A bit harsh on Swansea who has played him reguarly.
Be nice to get some favour with Bournemouth and Parker so they might take a player or two next season if they’re promoted

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Of course all that makes perfect sense. But why let that get in the way of a good moan about Glazernomics which has us with the highest wage bill on the planet and the second highest net spend of the last decade - only bettered by an oil state. Obviously it’s all about that extra 100k…

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I've hardly seen him play but can he be worse than AWB or Dalot right now?

SAF is the GOAT

Official

Bournemouth have agreed a deal with Manchester United to Take Ethan Laird on loan for the remainder of the season.
The 20-year-old defender spent the first half of the season on loan at Swansea, where he made 21 appearances.
The player is expected to have a medical within the next 48 hours.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Makes sense.

Hopefully Bournemouth get promoted, because we can easily send him back on loan there next season and see how he handles the PL. Basically what we should’ve done with Tuanzebe that season Villa got promoted, and what we did successfully with Henderson (but then fumbled what to do after that!)
This. They’ll have agreed to take him again next season in the PL. it’s a logical step. Swansea are going nowhere fast. Laird needs to climb the ladder if he’s ever going to play for us. This is the shop window. If he gets a good season in the PL we can get big money for him or bring him back to play. We need to do this with more players. Send them out and see how far up they can make it. If they can’t play well enough to stand out in the championship and secure a PL loan then we have no business starting them here

Nickosaur

It's a bit of a dick move towards Swansea, isn't it?
Was my first thought too. Seems harsh to suddenly lose a player who has been fantastic for them so far this season.
But if there is the option to recall, then I guess it's within United's right to do so if they see it as positive for the player's development.

Mickson

He should absolutely not be loaned back next season. Let's say he excels at Bournemouth, then he should come back to Old Trafford next season because he is better than AWB and Dalot. Or at least he will be better if he gets the chance.

TwoSheds

He should absolutely not be loaned back next season. Let's say he excels at Bournemouth, then he should come back to Old Trafford next season because he is better than AWB and Dalot. Or at least he will be better if he gets the chance.
He's not proved much defensively yet. Hopefully the move to Bournemouth helps with that but they're not exactly AC Milan. Another 6 months or year on loan in the Prem could well be the right choice for him, hopefully we'll get to see where he's at in preseason and make a decision.

MUFC OK

Better than what we have at RB. Don't see why he could be brought in as competition now.

He genuinely strives to get to the byline and finds strikers with his crosses.

SAF is the GOAT

Saw a compilation of him today on YT from this season

From a 5 minute video I've counted at least 5 clear cut chances that had to be goals but his teammates just are so weak.

He has 3 assists in 20 appearances and could of double if not probably triple his stats by now. Its so refreshing to see an actual potential RB that could give us width from the right side.

KevinJoh

Both loans have been good for Laird until now. He played a lot of minutes, tested in two different leagues, at different levels. What I don't like at Swansea is that he is playing more like a winger than a RB, and he won't get a chance as winger with us. So, moving to AFC would be great if they will test him at RB, and in a team that has to win games and dominate in order to achieve promotion. Also, in theory, if they win promotion he will have excellent PL loan as possibility next year. It is risky, but he is really close to be an option for us next year.

suheilsworld

Don’t understand his move of shifting from Swansea to Bournemouth. Any idea behind this? The way AWB has been playing, surely he deserves a chance. Don’t know why we can’t trust him over AWB

davidmichael

Much like I believe Tuanzebe would be a better partner for Varane than Maguire I also think Laird would be a better fit for us than AWB at right back, Shaw has shown he can attack despite not doing so this season but AWB doesn’t offer anything and Dalot will never be good enough so this loan should elevate Laird enough to then come back and play for us next season.

macheda14

Much like I believe Tuanzebe would be a better partner for Varane than Maguire I also think Laird would be a better fit for us than AWB at right back, Shaw has shown he can attack despite not doing so this season but AWB doesn’t offer anything and Dalot will never be good enough so this loan should elevate Laird enough to then come back and play for us next season.
I just.. I mean.. he’s shown absolutely nothing to for you to make this statement. A very good season in the championship and one exceptional game against PSG. Since then, nada. Hasn’t even been able to get into the Villa team.

pascell

I just.. I mean.. he’s shown absolutely nothing to for you to make this statement. A very good season in the championship and one exceptional game against PSG. Since then, nada. Hasn’t even been able to get into the Villa team.
Got rinsed by Demba Ba too after pocketing Mbappe, he clearly has a lot to learn. And we've put a €600k bonus in the loan deal if he makes a certain amount of appearances, clearly Napoli see him as back up.

davidmichael

People want VDB to be given a run because he’s not been allowed a chance to show what he can do and also (myself included) Laird as well, did Beckham show promise at Preston ? Harry Kane at Norwich or Leicester ? I don’t go by the logic that Tuanzebe not playing for Villa means he’s not good enough.

Tuanzebe showed against Mbappe and Neymar against PSG what he can do then got dropped for the following match and much like Jonny Evans years ago was then made a scapegoat for that Champions League loss against that Turkish team despite far more senior players being even worse that game.

Tuanzebe’s main attributes are pace, power and basically being a beast which would be perfect alongside Varane whilst Maguire is clearly struggling and dragging Varane down and Lindelof has the same flaws as Maguire with his serious lack of pace but then is also awful in the air, would Tuanzebe be worse than Maguire ? I mean Jones is even getting a game and looked better in one game than Maguire has all season.

I honestly believe that Laird, Tuanzebe, Garner and Mejbri would all actually benefit the first team this season and I’d 100% have had them involved this season. There is so much wrong with the attitude and mindset of so many of the first team that I think dropping them in favour of our talented kids would show that no one is undroppable or bigger than the club just as Sir Alex always showed.