Ethan Williams

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's the 2 footedness for me, it's why I was so excited about Greenwood at the same age. If you can dribble, pass, cross, shoot and have a decent physique and are that 2 footed then you're always going to be a nightmare to defend against if you've got the right attitude and application.

Sancho99

Being so two footed is rare. Coincidentally our more recent best wide players were all two footed in Ronaldo, Nani and Greenwood. Having that unpredictability as an attacker is so valuable. Having around the team just for his set pieces would be a godsend as well, his delivery is consistently excellent.

Sancho99

Being so two footed is rare. Coincidentally our more recent best wide players were all two footed in Ronaldo, Nani and Greenwood. Having that unpredictability as an attacker is so valuable. Having around the team just for his set pieces would be a godsend as well, his delivery is consistently excellent

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Nice finishes! I’ve not been watching our youth football much over the last few years but he looks promising. From first impressions he could be a PL squad player like Chong or something. Hopefully he makes it here. As others have said, being two footed is such a blessing. It really does feel like the average player in our youth set up has gone from ending up randomly down the divisions to being at the very least good championship/decent PL players.

lysglimt

Scout
Seems to be getting back to his best form again - he seemed completely out of it for a short while, but now he is back to being out best attacking player at this level.

Lj82

Just saw the highlights of the game against Arsenal in the club's official app and his two footedness is so noticeable. Definitely a player to keep an eye on for the future!

TwoSheds

His two footedness is a special boon. I personally hope he specializes on the left if he makes it here. Since Giggs and even Blomqvist, can't remember the last time we had an actually left footed left side attacker/winger.
Kieran Richardson :nervous:

Also, is he left footed though? I genuinely couldn't say which one he favours.

Pericles

He reminds of Garnacho at this level in terms of how he's constantly running like he has an endless engine and being such a goal threat.
Because he is so two-footed his overall finishing is better than Garnscho’s but Garnacho had better touch and ball control/manipulation.

The next step for Williams is working on his touch. The slightest loose touch gets punished at the senior level.

Borninthe80ts

It’s not just the two footed-ness but that he seems tactically adept as he can play in a number of positions and is impacting in all. These players multi faceted players will always find a place in a squad and can contribute in different areas. Thinking someone like Park if he goes this route.

saik

Reading today that Forson might be injured, with Williams in the picture to take his place in the team.

Can anyone who’s been following our kids explain why Williams wasn’t already ahead of Forson in the pecking order?
He's playing for the u-18s today, I don't he is coming up to the first team this week.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Reading today that Forson might be injured, with Williams in the picture to take his place in the team.

Can anyone who’s been following our kids explain why Williams wasn’t already ahead of Forson in the pecking order?
Probably wasn't better ?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Forson is 1,5 years older and has played quite a lot for the U21s already, whereas Williams hasn’t. While Forson is not a bad footballer, I’d say Williams is probably more talented. But in terms of physique, experience and maturity, Forson is ahead at the moment.

lysglimt

Scout

Many things that could influence that decision - as someone pointed out, Forson is older and there is the contract situation. But they are very different as players - Williams is extremely direct and is best when he has a lot of space and can run with the ball and get space to get a shot in. Forson is the opposite. Better with the ball close to his feet, and better at picking a pass. Better close control. But one thing that annoys me with Forson is that he slows the play down - A LOT. He gets the ball - stands still and tries to dummy his opponent using his body. Whereas Williams is much more gung-ho if you like.

Bertie Wooster

Many things that could influence that decision - as someone pointed out, Forson is older and there is the contract situation. But they are very different as players - Williams is extremely direct and is best when he has a lot of space and can run with the ball and get space to get a shot in. Forson is the opposite. Better with the ball close to his feet, and better at picking a pass. Better close control. But one thing that annoys me with Forson is that he slows the play down - A LOT. He gets the ball - stands still and tries to dummy his opponent using his body. Whereas Williams is much more gung-ho if you like.
Yep, great assessment of both. I've always rated Williams higher, but it depends on what role you were looking for and, as you say, Forson is older and we were looking to tie him down to a new deal.

I'd also add the side they're often played on in these days of inverted wingers. While Williams is two footed (even takes set pieces with either), his right looks the more dominant and he's often played from the left. Forson is left footed, and often plays from the right (or central).

And the vacancy was for the right side, with Rashford or Garnacho settled for the left. So maybe another reason to try Forson first? Though with Garnacho now proving himself very competent on the right as well, that role is less vacant now anyway.

Bondi77

So he sounds similar to Elanga.
Is he as quick?

TwoSheds

So he sounds similar to Elanga.
Is he as quick?
I wouldn't say Williams is similar to Elanga at all tbh, other than being a winger. Elanga much quicker but Williams is more technical and very two footed. Elanga played up front quite a bit too and I don't think Williams ever will as he's more slight.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, I wouldn't really class Williams and Elanga as too alike. Other than both being at their best as wingers / wide strikers.

But Elanga is much more about raw pace, and getting in behind defendes. Utilising the space with his pace rather than having good technical abilities. And can also fill in as a central striker to an extent. Williams is a more all round wing threat. He is quite quick, but not as quick as Elanga, but has more technical ability and while he also gets in behind defenders, he also runs well with the ball and delivers good shots, crosses and set pieces with either foot, making him less predictable and more of an on the ball threat.

I'd say Elanga's by far main asset is his lightning pace. Whereas Wiiliams has more to his game, and his main asset is his two-footedness, making it harder for defenders to guess whether he's going to shoot or cross.

Although, lightning pace being such an asset, then Elanga has done very well for himself so far to be a Swedish international playing in the PL. I think Williams has more to his game so has a potentially higher ceiling, but then again he'll also be doing very well to be matching Elanga's CV when he gets to the same age.

Last edited: