Europa League 2019/20

Alemar

Just watched Highlights of Sevilla-Roma. They’d rather bought Smalling - now their defence is just bad without him

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Sevilla then we are. Conte record in European competition ain't very good. Inter is not that consistent either.
Sevilla aren't favourites at all, they're actually only bookies 4th favourites after United, Inter and Leverkusen. Their 3 wins under Emery are meaningless because he isn't there anymore.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Some good sided left this time not the shite there was the last time we won this competition.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Little off subject but saw an old interview with Chris Sutton and other players bemoaning Brendan Rodgers going to Leicester from Celtic. Were saying daft things like Celtic reserves are bigger than Leicester.

Everytime I see Scottish teams play in Europe, they lose. I believe that Gerrard could lace up his boots and put a shift in the middle of the park for the Gers today.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So who are favourites for the EL? Inter?
538soccer has the percentages at:
  1. United
  2. Inter
  3. Sevilla
  4. Leverkusen
  5. Wolves
  6. Shakhtar
  7. Basel
  8. Copenhagen
But then team SPI ratings are:
  1. United - 88.0
  2. Sevilla - 82.4
  3. Inter - 81.8
  4. Wolves - 81.4
  5. Leverkusen - 80.4
  6. Shakhtar - 72.1
  7. Basel - 66.8
  8. Copenhagen - 55.3
For reference, Norwich was a 53.1, Watford 70.8, Leicester 81.1, Liverpool 91.1 and City 95.6. Leeds United 70.0.

I'd say thats pretty accurate ratings. United the clear favourites and with the easiest quarter final. Only question will be motivation.

always_hoping

538soccer has the percentages at:
  1. United
  2. Inter
  3. Sevilla
  4. Leverkusen
  5. Wolves
  6. Shakhtar
  7. Basel
  8. Copenhagen
But then team SPI ratings are:
  1. United - 88.0
  2. Sevilla - 82.4
  3. Inter - 81.8
  4. Wolves - 81.4
  5. Leverkusen - 80.4
  6. Shakhtar - 72.1
  7. Basel - 66.8
  8. Copenhagen - 55.3
For reference, Norwich was a 53.1, Watford 70.8, Leicester 81.1, Liverpool 91.1 and City 95.6. Leeds United 70.0.

I'd say thats pretty accurate ratings. United the clear favourites and with the easiest quarter final. Only question will be motivation.
So the toughest possible semi final based on those ratings.

IAmAWinner

Will be a massive bottlejob from Ole if we don't win this. We're by far the best team left.

ti vu

Yeah I know, I just don't feel particularly threatened by them this time. It's worth remembering we've had to play at their place 5 times since they've been promoted, they've often had the home advantage.
We hardly convincingly won the game at our ground in FA Cup. In PL, it was a draw, and both games were very tight. Their style of play is the one we're not really comfortable playing against.

It's neutral and one game off, so anything can go.
Sevilla aren't favourites at all, they're actually only bookies 4th favourites after United, Inter and Leverkusen. Their 3 wins under Emery are meaningless because he isn't there anymore.
I am talking from my own perspective, by what I saw from Sevilla this past La Liga season. Very difficult team to beat. IIRC Sevilla only got defeated by 2+ goals margin twice. One by Barcelona early in the season, and in Copa del Rey. They only lost 6 games in La Liga. Not a team they can get defeated easily despite La Liga team often throw in a tower vs non direct rival teams once they can't save the game (goal difference is not the most important stats). And they're undefeated since the restart.

Inter has Jojo form since the restart, and prone to comeback. Then Conte's record. Inter can shoot their own foot in a sense.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Will be a massive bottlejob from Ole if we don't win this. We're by far the best team left.
Our players are on their arses though and in one off games anything can happen

I think this'll be the 3rd competition this season we go out at the SF's

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its a cup competition with some very good sides left, in one off games. Likely semi finalists will be:
3rd in Premier League vs 4th in La Liga
2nd in Serie A vs 1st in Ukraine

All 4 of them already qualified for the Champions League. Not a bottle job...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Why didn't Roma extend Smalling's loan? Did you lot say no to that?
Roma went back on their word, this was the point where they were supposed to offer a specific transfer fee but they tried to offer less than they initially promised because Smalling turned out to be very happy there. So with no deal agreed, he's come back.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Little off subject but saw an old interview with Chris Sutton and other players bemoaning Brendan Rodgers going to Leicester from Celtic. Were saying daft things like Celtic reserves are bigger than Leicester.

Everytime I see Scottish teams play in Europe, they lose. I believe that Gerrard could lace up his boots and put a shift in the middle of the park for the Gers today.
Celtic are bigger than Leicester. This season is actually the best Scotland has done in years! Don’t think there’s any shame in Rangers going out to Bayer. Celtic losing to Copenhagen, perhaps as they’re probably similar in playing squads

Pagh Wraith

United, as favourites and indeed the best team left, have a one in three chance of winning the competition. And if they don't, Ole will have bottled it? What nonsense.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How good are Shaktar these days? They used to have a really good team

Wayne's World

We are defintelly playing Wolves in the semi final and my god, they will depress us to death again playing against them.

Don't know why but I'd fancy playing Sevilla over Wolves. We struggle against Wolves so much and can see the same again :nervous:

Redfrog

I would like us to play against Sevilla in semis.

From what I've seen they are a better team then Wolves and play good football. If we play them it will be a hard one I think but that all the fun in that. I'm so bored to watch us play the likes of lask and Copenhagen...

It will be even more depressing to play against boring Wolves for the fourth or fifth time this season. And I don't like us to play against english teams in Europe.

Just hope we have the hardest of draws : Sevilla and Inter...Otherwise I don't even see the point to play in Champions league...it should be a good experience for the lads with hopefully a trophy at the end !

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Celtic are bigger than Leicester. This season is actually the best Scotland has done in years! Don’t think there’s any shame in Rangers going out to Bayer. Celtic losing to Copenhagen, perhaps as they’re probably similar in playing squads
He said Celtic reserves are bigger! Balony.

Ole'sattheWheel

I would like us to play against Sevilla in semis.

From what I've seen they are a better team then Wolves and play good football. If we play them it will be a hard one I think but that all the fun in that. I'm so bored to watch us play the likes of lask and Copenhagen...

It will be even more depressing to play against boring Wolves for the fourth or fifth time this season. And I don't like us to play against english teams in Europe.

Just hope we have the hardest of draws : Sevilla and Inter...Otherwise I don't even see the point to play in Champions league...it should be a good experience for the lads with hopefully a trophy at the end !
I agree with this.

Plus we need to get Sevilla back for 2018

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Getting those same old tiresome digs in nice and early, I see. You do understand how football works don't you?

Yagami

Good post resistant
It's a shame Banega's spent as many years as he has in this competition. He's far too good for this level. It's probably his own fault, though.

Lee565

wolves are probably the worst side style wise that Seville could run into in these one off knockout games.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just seen Varela's assist. Didn't do it for long, but I did enjoy his very brief time here at RB.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Why do most teams seem to be using a bunch of reserves? United, Leverkusen today, etc