Europa League Draw, Round of 32 - we got Real Sociedad

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Sorry, I just wanted this depressing thread to appear on the list.

The draw takes place on Monday.

Who would you love to play against?

I'm thinking of Milan (it's not decided until tomorrow whether they are seeded or unseeded), so they destroy us and we can avoid those frustrating Thursday night fixtures.

The first leg will be played on 18 February, after Newcastle at home and the second leg on 25 February, before Chelsea away.

Because we'll probalby be a seeded team, we'll play the second leg at home.

hungrywing

Everyone coming into this thread is going to come into it like it's a limp support group in a musty church basement on a really rainy night when you'd rather be almost anywhere else at all.

Micky Targaryen

There should be an option for UCL group exiters to opt in or opt out of the Europa League. Personally feel that Europa League fixtures are too inconvenient and I'd rather we focus on getting top 4 in the league.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I want someone good, who will beat us. Or someone shit who will beat us. Just someone to knock us out of this competition. Focus on the league. Thursday night football is a league form killer.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
There should be an option for UCL group exiters to opt in or opt out of the Europa League. Personally feel that Europa League fixtures are too inconvenient and I'd rather we focus on getting top 4 in the league.
Yep, I agree. We really should just be allowed to focus on the league. Usually I’d be all for it but I feel the EL could be damaging this year, we feel a bit broken right now.

RashyForPM

Probably the wrong thread but this CL campaign could have really bad repercussions. From a physical standpoint, we’ve played 6 intense games where we couldn’t rest players for nothing, and from a mental standpoint, we’ll be screwed after failing to qualify despite such a bright start. All of Bruno’s great work for nothing.

Still though, I like the Europa and would want us to win it.

Josh 76

I'm thinking of Milan (it's not decided until tomorrow whether they are seeded or unseeded), so they destroy us and we can avoid those frustrating Thursday night fixtures.

The first leg will be played on 18 February, after Newcastle at home and the second leg on 25 February, before Chelsea away.

City, Chelsea and Scousers all in UCL and we all know Mourhino loves this competition. Maybe a chance to play the reserves and go for it in the league.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
City, Chelsea and Scousers all in UCL and we all know Mourhino loves this competition. Maybe a chance to play the reserves and go for it in the league.
Nah. Go for it. It's a trophy and I feel we let ourselves down. Sevilla were nothing special.

My big concern is that Ole and his staff don't learn and adapt. We have been caught by sucker punches on the break again and again since the EL semi.
My hope is that we have a better squad. Integrate Amad and Pellistri, and keep Cavani fit;we have a good chance.

Re Mourinho. Spurs are due injuries and suspensions. How long can they keep playing Kane and Son? It may be the case that Spurs say 'feck the EL, we can win the PL.'

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Mr. “I'm not watching Europa League” seemed quite eager to make this thread

GMoore23

I want someone good, who will beat us. Or someone shit who will beat us. Just someone to knock us out of this competition. Focus on the league. Thursday night football is a league form killer.
Spurs aren't doing too bad in the league.

Nickelodeon

The indignity of having the next fixture against a LASK or a Ludogerets is too much to handle repeatedly. For once, let’s just chuck in the kids like Pellestri, Diallo, Mengi, Lingard etc. No more fecking up the league and having Europa as a hail mary.

ti vu

Spurs aren't doing too bad in the league.
Their EL group games haven't been smooth sailing as they're second in the group at the moment. And they have a balanced second team for it, and a clear XI for the league. We may have squad depth, but there is no balance for our second team, and our starting XI is chopped and changed every week.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think it downgrades the EL somewhat that CL failures can just fall into it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I hope we get the hardest possible draw. Then at least it will be interesting, and if we're still jojo-ing between good and absolute shite, we might get it over with quickly.

pauldyson1uk

Rubbish! This season games are being played at all times of the week, EL on a Thursday makes no difference, does not seem to be affecting Spurs and Leicester !

Yagami

Good post resistant
Might as well have a classic while we're here. Manchester United vs A.C. Milan

Lee565

Sad thing is ole will take it serious and the board won't sack him even if we are flopping bad in the league and look out of reach of top 4 football as long we are still in this competition knowing it would potentially gives the club a another way of securing champions league football, which is all the board care about in terms of objectives for the season.

Greck

Even Ole should want to opt out of playing this shite competition. Fan approval won't survive failing in two European competitions in one season.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Rubbish! This season games are being played at all times of the week, EL on a Thursday makes no difference, does not seem to be affecting Spurs and Leicester !
It's not rubbish. We've seen teams in the Europa League, ourselves included over the years, struggle after Thursday night games. Two teams doing OK through handy group stages doesn't change that.

Our squad is thin. Fighting on two fronts is hard enough when we need certain players to play almost every game, but having games on a Thursday, has to hamper preparation for the weekend. Between match prep and travel, you're always going to be light on preparation for the game at the weekend.

PieCrust

In the past few years I've felt that United should take this cup seriously and a club of that size should easily be able to compete on multiple fronts. This year though, I just can't be asked to care. Run out the kids and squad players and let them have at it. Focus on the league.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Well we further fecked ourselves in terms of fixtures. Its a winnable cup, but I don't think we'll win it. Motivation is always a huge problem when you fall out of the CL to the Europa League compared to last year when we were always in it. Realistically though, for the past 7 years, we haven't been more than Europa League level anyway. Out of the groups in the CL twice, out to Bayern once in the QF after getting past Olympiacos, out to Barca in the QF after getting past PSG. Until we get a proper manager in, we won't get past this level.

AshRK

I will play the likes of pellistri and diallo and some more young players. If we reach till semis somehow then maybe we can bring in the senior pros.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
The arrogance in here is something to behold.

We haven't won anything in the last three seasons, haven't been anywhere near the top of our own league for 7 years, yet somehow we are too good to even put in an effort in this great historic cup?

There's plenty of decent teams still in it (Napoli, Milan, Tottenham, Benfica,... + Real Madrid/Inter, Ajax), so why not redeem our CL failure and show some fecking ambition (rather than aim for a top 4 finish, as if that's somehow a trophy)?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Granada so I can make shit jokes about the match being on ITV. Maybe Antwerp so I can feign offence at the 'twerp' part.

el3mel

I still can't believe this is fecking true. We are going to play in EL again. Way to kill the mood.

OleBoiii

The only argument to take this cup seriously is that it's a potential lifeline to next season's CL. Because of that we'll probably half-ass it. We wont play our B team, but we want go all out before the semis.

croadyman

Would rather not be in it and just concentrate on the league instead,ideally under a new manager but that clearly won't be happening.

The trouble if we get a harder draw is Ole will shit himself and we will see the first team rolled out,so better to get a supposed easier one then at least we might see some of the young players but with Ole don't bet on it.

Last edited:

croadyman

The arrogance in here is something to behold.

We haven't won anything in the last three seasons, haven't been anywhere near the top of our own league for 7 years, yet somehow we are too good to even put in an effort in this great historic cup?

There's plenty of decent teams still in it (Napoli, Milan, Tottenham, Benfica,... + Real Madrid/Inter, Ajax), so why not redeem our CL failure and show some fecking ambition (rather than aim for a top 4 finish, as if that's somehow a trophy)?
Ambition is not ending up in this