Europa League Round of 16 Draw | United draw Rostov

VanGaalEra

Daytime temps in Rostov at the moment 7-10 and evening 0 or -1.

Weather shouldn't be a problem like the Zorya game was.

Mani

I would be happy with 1-1 away draw and comfortable win at home.Jose should be aware of Rostov's potential and will field a compact away team to see through this.

soad

It's a great draw despite we're traveling to Russia. Couldn't get any better. Just look at the other matches. Lyon-Roma, Schalke-Gladbach, Olympiacos-Besiktas. All the biggest rivals for the cup meet each other. Perfect draw!

Ixion

It is a really good draw really, all things considered. A team we can beat, away first, and some of our biggest challengers paired against each other and some weaker teams going through. It's a long flight to Russia but it's not the end of the world.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Feck me people are always so negative on this forum. Good draw.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Anyone know what time the first-leg kick-off is at? Hopefully it's a 5pm job.

RedMaestro

Agreed. If the quarter finals consist of Celta, Anderlecht, Gladbach/Schalke, Roma, Man United, Besiktas, Genk/t and Ajax I have to say I'd be extremely disappointed if we don't make at least the final.
Same here. Mourinho should go "all-in" now.

Rostov are the lowest-ranked side left in the competition according to the UEFA coefficients.

Devil may care

I think he'll be glad to see that a lot of tought opponents aren't going to play in the next round.
I don't think he was worried about any of these teams on a competetive level, he talked about fancying Lyon, as Jermaine Jenas said on BT Sport last night, all the other teams would want to avoid us, not the other way around.

Peanut Butter

It is awful for our FA Cup hopes

Now our jetlagged knackard team will have to go to Stamford Bridge to face a fit and firing Chelsea. We're fecked
That's very dramatic. None of us can predict the future.

And if we do go out of the cup so be it - Europa is more important.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Regarding flight time, when you have to go to the airport, check in, wait, wait some more, board the plane, wait for take off, it really shouldn't matter all that much if the flight time is 4 hours compared to maybe 2 hours. They can relax, sleep, watch films and stuff.

They should try 5 hours at economy with 3 little kids, that'll teach them. Been there done that. :rolleyes:

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
We played Zorya away three days before Spurs at home and were fine. We've an extra days rest between Rostov and Chelsea than we did that time around.

vodrake

Christ, people get way too obsessed about travel distances for matches here.

And ffs, you don't get jetlagged and exhausted from a 5 hour flight to Russia and back again 2 days later. Especially on the ultra luxurious flights our players are going to be on.

markelphick

Great draw all round, Lyon & Roma, the two German sides, great ties! So happy we're away first too!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
So flight time is 4.5 hours, that's really not too drastic, and it's basically a Black Sea port so the weather shouldn't be Siberian by any means. Good draw as far as I'm concerned, plenty of time to prepare for a Monday night tie at Chelsea.

Quizierda

Will be tough going to Russia..

They even managed to beat Bayern somewhow so we better should be careful.

However, a good draw considering the other matches. Only Nikosia or Gent/Genk could have been better.

RedMaestro

Would it be an early kickoff over there? Gives us a few more hours rest I suppose.
Spurs must be kicking themselves after that draw. They should basically be in the quarters with a lot of the other favourites playing each othe
I'ts either 6pm or 8.05pm...

CM

There's some great draws for the neutrals in there. Rostov won't be easy and the travel makes it less than ideal but it definitely could've been worse, I'm reasonably content with that.

Havak

Pokemon master
So flight time is 4.5 hours, that's really not too drastic, and it's basically a Black Sea port so the weather shouldn't be Siberian by any means. Good draw as far as I'm concerned, plenty of time to prepare for a Monday night tie at Chelsea.
Exactly. We actually have a Monday night game, so we can go almost full strength in both games, then rest a few in the home leg provided we actually won the first.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
That's very dramatic. None of us can predict the future.

And if we do go out of the cup so be it - Europa is more important.
Indeed. If we can't deal with this how can we deal with being away to the likes of Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea etc on a Sat and then facing the likes or Real or Bayern on a Tue if we make the CL?

This forum has become obsessed with player fatigue.

pilky02

Supports
I could eat a nob at night
Thank god it's the FA cup and not a league game before and after, it's probably the least important competition we're in. Fantastic draw other than that though; Celta Vigo, BMG/Schalke Roma/Lyon... We have a great chance to win this competition. Hopefully BMG and Lyon go through.

Unlikely lad

Are you sure about that?

RedMaestro

I don't think he was worried about any of these teams on a competetive level, he talked about fancying Lyon, as Jermaine Jenas said on BT Sport last night, all the other teams would want to avoid us, not the other way around.
The good thing with playing against a "lesser" side is being able to avoid using your best players. Not that I think Mourinho would do so, but maybe with a big lead, he could rest some...

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They lost 5-0 to Bayern in the first tie though.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Poor draw for us really, id rather us be playing one of the big teams like Ajax or Roma.

fREDhead

Not just a long trip but they have only lost twice at home for almost two years.

27 Wins, 10 Draws and 2 losses since March 2015. 66 goals scored, 26 conceded. 20 clean sheets.

The losses are to Terek Grozny in the league in May 2015 and to Atletico Madrid in the CL Group stages a few months ago (0-1). They beat Bayern 3-2.

Probably not as easy as we would like to think. This game comes right after their first league game since December though. So let's hope they are a bit rusty.

Reactions: SteveJ

LouisDanGaal

The way people were going on I thought it was a 12 hour flight bare minimum and you could only take it at the worst possible time of the day .

Jacko21

This isn't bad at all.

We're Manchester United for christ sake, when have we ever been worried about a) going to Russia and b) facing Rostov?! I'm not suggesting it'll be a walkover, but Mourinho is more than capable of steering us through this tie.

The travelling is an inconvenience, nothing more. Negotiate the first leg and win the second leg comfortably.

And regarding the rest of the draw, we could not have asked for more.

LouisDanGaal

Not just a long trip but they have only lost twice at home for almost two years.

27 Wins, 10 Draws and 2 losses since March 2015. 66 goals scored, 26 conceded. 20 clean sheets.

The losses are to Terek Grozny in the league in May 2015 and to Atletico Madrid in the CL Group stages a few months ago (0-1). They beat Bayern 3-2.

Probably not as easy as we would like to think. This game comes right after their first league game since December though. So let's hope they are a bit rusty.
Go there for a 1-1, that would be a great result .

MullerUtd

Not the best draw we were hoping for, but then again it's hardly the worst draw. I was hoping we can get the Belgian or Danish teams. I'd even take Lyon over Rostov. Eastern European/Russian teams are really a pain to play against due to the travelling distance and their unknown unpredictability, Rostov has given a good account of themselves in the Champions League. They beat Bayern Munich 3-2 at home and put up a good fight against Atletico Madrid, also beat Sparta Prague 5-1 on aggregate. What's our record like against Russian teams? I still fancy us beating them and with the way the draw has panned out - the two German teams facing each other, Roma facing Lyon and Olympiakos facing Beskitas, it's still a pretty good draw overall for us.

Here's my predictions on who to advance to the quarter-finals:

FC Rostov v Manchester United
Celta Vigo v FC Krasnodar
Apoel FC v Anderlecht
Schalke v Borussia Monchengladbach
Lyon v Roma
Olympiakos v Besiktas
KAA Gent v Genk
FC Copenhagen v Ajax

If we do get past Rostov, I can see us drawing against Krasnodar in the quarter-finals. :lol: