Europa League SF Draw | United vs Roma

SwedishFish

A possible (and I emphasize possible) path to salvage our season has just been gifted to us.

No doubt these games will be very tough, especially with our erratic form. However, to even have this opportunity is a miracle for us.
Of course, it's easier than if you'd be drawn against United at any stage en route to the final.

However Villarreal are a whole lot better than Olympiakos and so are Slavia Prague. It's going to be a tough fight to get there and Arsenal will have to be more consistent than they've been so far this season if it's going to happen for them.

Silverman

Couldn't have gone any better. All lined up for a English final.

I'm a Manchester United fan first and foremost but I'm also someone who gets behind all English clubs in Europe, if Manchester United win, thats fantastic.

But if Arsenal win, that's 5 Champions League spots for English clubs next year which will be great for the Premier League.
What on earth are you on about!

stu_1992

A grand QF draw I'd be confident of a result in that easily enough. Tougher semi for sure but again, there's not a team in these we shouldn't be beating to be honest. Especially over 2 legs. The prospect of Villareal or Arsenal in the final does make me slightly uncomfortable. Not that I think either of those are better than us, far from it. But in a one off game anything can happen and our recent record against Arsenal is poor, plus Emery loves a Europa League win so I wouldn't rule out his Villareal.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I'm a Manchester United fan first and foremost but I'm also someone who gets behind all English clubs in Europe, if Manchester United win, thats fantastic.

But if Arsenal win, that's 5 Champions League spots for English clubs next year which will be great for the Premier League.
I'll never understand anyone wanting another English team to win

Jev

Good draw. No excuses for us not to reach the final from this point.

Dve

Why is everyone happy with Granada?
I watched their games against Molde, and seeing them being totally dominated for broad parts of the games by a Norwegian team out of season, brought me to the conclusion they are not a very good side. You could actually argue Molde looked like the better team over those to matches and could easily have knocked them out if they were a bit more clinical in front of goal. I just cannot se us not beating them, even playing with the reserves in the home game.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Look at the Arsenal fans jumping the gun already :lol:

Do you never learn?
Are you missing the thread full of Utd fans doing the same? :lol:

I've no doubt Slavia will be tough, I watched both matches vs Leicester & Rangers, they will be stubborn, so I'm not counting any chickens, but it's still a good opportunity for Arsenal.

SwedishFish

Are you missing the thread full of Utd fans doing the same? :lol:

I've no doubt Slavia will be tough, I watched both matches vs Leicester & Rangers, they will be stubborn, so I'm not counting any chickens, but it's still a good opportunity for Arsenal.
Sure, that's dumb too, but at least we have the consistency and the results to back up a bit of confidence. We've already knocked out two of the best teams in the EL.

Absolutely, would be fun with an all English Final.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d be confident of our chances if we had all our players back. Trouble is we’re an injury or two away from seeing James and Martial up top again. If we’ve got Pogba, Cavani, Bruno, Rashford etc all firing then I can’t see past United winning it.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Was hoping we would get them. Don't know how they're doing but on paper not the hardest draw so hopefully we make the most of it.

always_hoping

I’d be confident of our chances if we had all our players back. Trouble is we’re an injury or two away from seeing James and Martial up top again. If we’ve got Pogba, Cavani, Bruno, Rashford etc all firing then I can’t see past United winning it.
Yes the injury situation will play a key role in United chances in this competition.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Sure, that's dumb too, but at least we have the consistency and the results to back up a bit of confidence. We've already knocked out two of the best teams in the EL.

Absolutely, would be fun with an all English Final.
No it wouldn't :lol:

A United Arsenal final would be awful, I don't think I could deal with the nerves. Especially because it'll be our only chance of qualifying for the CL

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Dusan Tadic vs Harry Maguire is gonna be one of the funniest things I will ever watch in life if both teams make it through.. (which I expect)

Judas

Open to offers
No it wouldn't :lol:

A United Arsenal final would be awful, I don't think I could deal with the nerves. Especially because it'll be our only chance of qualifying for the CL
Aye. I don't trust anyone even remotely excited by an Utd/Arsenal final, especially if you support either team. Horrific and vile prospect.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
You can't be any worse than you were in the 2017 final eh ?
Thats one things that's for sure haha!

But I think we grew a lot as a team and have a lot more experience, mentality and quality on the pitch than we had back then.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think you will get Ajax in the semi, and Arsenal in the final.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Isn't "Granada" the name of Manchester's regional TV company who make Coronation Street?

Is the TV firm named after the Spanish town?

My dad used to have a Ford Granada as well.

I need one of you northern folks to educate me.

Grande

We steam rolled Sociedad who are better than Granada. I know football doesn't work like that but I think we will easily beat them.
Beating Real Sociedad 4-0 was impressive, but it doesn’t mean that it was easy. We are odds on favourites against Granada, but I’m surprised by anyone seeing it as a foregone conclusions. Probably the same people who bet their houses that Leicester would beat Slavia and Spurs would send off Dinamo Zagreb?

Granada are a tightly knit collective who have punched ‘above their weight’ for two seasons now - getting 7th last yeard are 8th this one, beating Barca to go to the Spanish cup SF then and beating Napoli in Europa League now. Which means that this is their weight - why should they be easier to beat than Arsenal (10th in the league) or Roma (6th in the league, behind Napoli)?

As I said, I’d bet on us, but not more than I’d bet on us against Everton.

I watched their games against Molde, and seeing them being totally dominated for broad parts of the games by a Norwegian team out of season, brought me to the conclusion they are not a very good side. You could actually argue Molde looked like the better team over those to matches and could easily have knocked them out if they were a bit more clinical in front of goal. I just cannot se us not beating them, even playing with the reserves in the home game.
You must remember though that that team was built by Ole ;)

Grande

Isn't "Granada" the name of Manchester's regional TV company who make Coronation Street?

Is the TV firm named after the Spanish town?

My dad used to have a Ford Granada as well.

I need one of you northern folks to educate me.
You’ve got the makings of an Illuminati if youjust push for it a bit ;D

Undoubtedly the city is named for the production company.

Havak

Pokemon master
Really happy with the whole draw. I fancy us against all of Granada, Ajax and Roma to be honest. I'll be disappointed if we don't make the final now. Obviously, there won't be an easy game left in this competition for us that's for sure, but as long as we have a mostly fit squad we should really win.

prateik

If someone knocks Arse out and top 4 is secure, I can see us having a great chance of winning this.. Arse shouldnt be a difficult game. but we cant seem to beat them for some inexplicable reason.

Bertie Wooster

All teams in the last 8 of the competition are decent, but the 4 I was most hoping to avoid were Arsenal, Roma, Ajax, Villareal. So I'm happy enough with the Granada draw, but worried about the potential Ajax or Roma S/F.

No draw is easy at this stage, but I'd have preferred Arsenal's draws as they potentially could have Q/F and S/F against Slavia Prague and Dinamo Zagreb - which is as 'easy', on paper at least, as you could get at this stage.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
All teams in the last 8 of the competition are decent, but the 4 I was most hoping to avoid were Arsenal, Roma, Ajax, Villareal. So I'm happy enough with the Granada draw, but worried about the potential Ajax or Roma S/F.

No draw is easy at this stage, but I'd have preferred Arsenal's draws as they potentially could have Q/F and S/F against Slavia Prague and Dinamo Zagreb - which is as 'easy', on paper at least, as you could get at this stage.
They arent easy at all. Id make both favourite over Arsensl

Bertie Wooster

They arent easy at all. Id make both favourite over Arsensl
I didn't say they were easy. I specifically said no draw is easy at this stage. I just meant facing opponents from Chechia and Croatia in the Q/F and S/F of a European competition is as 'easy' as you could hope for, on paper at least.

But I agree that they've both looked impressive this season and have over achieved with some of the teams they've knocked out, so it'll be a competitive match that Arsenal will have to perform well to win. Same with us and Granada, and any of the other teams left at this stage.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I didn't say they were easy. I specifically said no draw is easy at this stage. I just meant facing opponents from Chechia and Croatia in the Q/F and S/F of a European competition is as 'easy' as you could hope for, on paper at least.

But I agree that they've both looked impressive this season and have over achieved with some of the teams they've knocked out, so it'll be a competitive match that Arsenal will have to perform well to win. Same with us and Granada, and any of the other teams left at this stage.
I think Arsenal will be knocked

SirAnderson

English my arse, wish Arsenal crash in the quarter finals. Can never route for other English clubs, ever.

Judas

Open to offers

I have never and will never get people like you. No offence. I just want all our rivals to crash and burn personally.

Bertie Wooster

English my arse, wish Arsenal crash in the quarter finals. Can never route for other English clubs, ever.
Yep, me too.

I can't understand why anyone who supports one of the bigger clubs would get any pleasure from seeing their rivals - local or just competitive rivals - do well in Europe.

The very last teams I want to win the European competitions are the other top English clubs (unless it's a rare scenario we need that to happen to qualify for Europe or something. And, even then, it's a shitty thing to have to witness their celebrations and bragging).