European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drizzle

What will really feck us is the hot takes about how UEFA are just as bad and the game's been gone since 1992/2005 etc.

And the paid-for pundits, and the bots beginning to pop up in the twitter/reddit comments, and dickhead fans who think they're achingly cool to posture about money and football and go against the grain for clicks, and all the other assorted takes that muddy the waters and dilute the opposition. I don't care that the Premier league and uefa is already greedy. We know.

We need absolute solid unity on this. And serious threats of action. This is defeatable.

Yes, I know it won't happen. Just the sad old rants of a legacy fan.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
hope they fecking do plus a -15 points deduction this season
not sure you can punish anyone for saying something might happen. would lose any court case in any democracy in the world. If they actually go ahead and join SL then all bets are off

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It is JP Morgan who is going to finance it initially but it is not surprising. Credit rates are almost down to zero and these clubs can all pay back their debts. The biggest income is tv rights but I will be skeptical to offer huge money for this. First, the public reaction is as bad as it gets. Second, with the repetition of the same games, it will lose its aura. Yes, the big games in CL are watched by more people simply because most of the teams are eliminated and people have nothing else to watch anyway. If these 20 teams play with each other every week, they will compete each other for audiance.

Sevilla, who has been one of the best run clubs for the last 15 years is not in, but Arsenal is included. Give me a break.
If that was true, NBA wouldn't be such a big deal every year, since there are no promotions/demotions system. They are choosing clubs for worldwide fan count, and Arsenal has millions more than Sevilla.
Besides, the asian and american markets reacted very well to this news. For them, loosing a few european viewers won't make that much of an impact when compared to the number of new viewers they will get. TV contracts will rain down hard, a matter of time.
The passion is on our side, the fans side. But those who manage clubs are businessman and will do what they have to do to make more money. This is something the big clubs were trying to do since the late 80s, we know the day would come. Maybe it will be not this year, but I think it will happen sooner or later.

zakk88

Supports
Chelsea
Sadly the formation of the ESL was inevitable, football stopped being a working man's sport with the Premier league breakaway in 1992.
When broadcaster's put in billions of pounds, and players are paid £100k + a week it became more about the money.

laughtersassassin

Ain't this the truth. We'd be a mid table team in 90% of the seasosns at best in a Super League.

Wanting a competition they we would never even aim to compete in couldn't be more pathetic.

crossy1686

career ending
Why do you presume to know how thousands of people's minds work? Why do you have so much confidence that people are just confused and being led like sheep by Sky ect?

Do you actually believe that there is not at least a couple of people in the 95% of the public who are talking about this and are very annoyed that might know the game better than you and understand the implications of a move like this?

I am not calling you an arrogant person but that stance is very arrogant.
I'm simply saying anything could happen. Keep an open mind instead of jumping on one stance and going all in.

Let's say we get banned with the other teams from the PL. Are we really just not going to play domestic football? We'll form a breakaway league for sure.

I know this is all new and it's a lot of change but football is due something like this. Sky and the PL have had their way for 30 years.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Atta boy.
Not atta boy at all.

He is playing for PSG. They are owned by a literal nation that destroys everything around them.

PSG are against this because it threatens their incredible advantage. Herrera caring about money in football is ridiculous.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

Ain't this the truth. We'd be a mid table team in 90% of the seasosns at best in a Super League.

Wanting a competition they we would never even aim to compete in couldn't be more pathetic.
Like when they recently invested (got Brady) in the Bucs and won the superbowl

weltcheftrainer

Supports
schalke
Honestly nobody knows what how it will all develop and sort out. Maybe it all goes down the route of boxing and in several years we even have 3-4 world champions at the same time.

Fussmeister

Well some of the teams in this league is far from super...but good for spurs and gunners, they will participat no mattet what :)

Closed leagues take away so much from any sport. We need the ride of fighting for your spot

adkb

Here are my two cents on this issue.

I am from India, a country that has tremendous potential. However during the COVID times I have seen how the rich have held hands with the government and become even richer. There is a clear shift of wealth and something we can only understand after the current panic dies down.

I believe the big clubs have also used the same mechanism. They have the pull, they have a fan base, they have the top players. They also have the resources and the infrastructure.

It will finally boil down to the fans. We are ones who will have to voice our protest. We will have to stand up to these thugs in the most non violent way even though these people are extremely powerful and have everyone in their pocket. Being from India, I have gotten used to protesting against this greed/incompetence. Looking forward to my first protest beyond the borders.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm simply saying anything could happen. Keep an open mind instead of jumping on one stance and going all in.

Let's say we get banned with the other teams from the PL. Are we really just not going to play domestic football? We'll form a breakaway league for sure.

I know this is all new and it's a lot of change but football is due something like this. Sky and the PL have had their way for 30 years.
But just for arguments sake, what would a breakaway league look like? Who would be involved? Without the whole of the English football pryamid connected and involved it'll be just as hollow as the SL. I know you've shown not much care for every other club, but imagine our breakaway league was just the top 6 slugging it out with each other? :lol:

I wish we could know what's going to happen sooner to be honest, all the guesswork is exhausting. I just don't want league football in this country to be destroyed.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He ironically says while playing for a club whose rich owners stole fair competition from all the the other teams in its league.
They stole nothing, french football has always been about patrons, PSG aren't different to the rest.

Pinto da Costa (Porto President) confirms there were talks but in the end Porto denied participating in The Super League

Camara

Supports
FC Porto

Thank God we refused to join this farce

RepardReece

Not atta boy at all.

He is playing for PSG. They are owned by a literal nation that destroys everything around them.

PSG are against this because it threatens their incredible advantage. Herrera caring about money in football is ridiculous.
People like you are never satisfied. Always something to moan about.

Be happy he's taken a step, even if he does play for PSG. What he's said is completely right.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Havent they signed a letter of intent yesterday evening?
Not sure... but intent is "doing". A court wouldn't see a letter of intent as the same as a known burglar being found outside a mansion with a crowbar in hand :lol:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
People like you are never satisfied. Always something to moan about.

Be happy he's taken a step, even if he does play for PSG. What he's said is completely right.
never satisfied?

He plays for a club owned by a country with incredible disregard for competition. Give a shit what anyone who plays for PSG says about “sharing money out.”

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
There is something incredibly amusing about United fans (rightfully) condemning the SL considering at it's heart, it's got the identical goals of FFP: maximise revenue for a handful of clubs at the top, keep those top clubs at the top and stop anyone else from joining the party. There is no question that's what SL is for. There is no question that's what FFP was for. They are different approaches to the same end game.