European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

John Blund

Is Mourinho planning this, since Spurs got an invite?

If this turns out to be a thing, wth? Did the class of 92 know this and bought "the new United" so we could change team?
Can you change team if the team you support decides to start competing in some other league you've never heard of?

Will RedCafe convert to a Salford City forum? I got so many questions.

crossy1686

career ending
Is Mourinho planning this, since Spurs got an invite?

If this turns out to be a thing, wth? Did the class of 92 know this and bought "the new United" so we could change team?
Can you change team if the team you support decides to start competing in some other league you've never heard of?

Will RedCafe convert to a Salford City forum? I got so many questions.
They only got the invite because of Jose

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Laporta just gave an interview saying that he'd rather have a club world cup than a super league.

I'm totally confused atm.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I think the PL clubs involved should be very wary. If you follow the money the PL is becoming, by far, the richest league in the world and some of the other leagues realize this and don't want to miss out. I wouldn't be surprised if the Italian, La Liga and Bundesliga clubs are the ones pushing this so they can get in on more lucrative TV contracts. If things stay the same more and more of the best players and coaches will end up in England. These other clubs are probably very concerned about this and the super league would balance things out for them.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
And then there's the college draft which means that the worst performing teams in their conferences get the best pick of the best college players graduation. It's literally a reward for being shittier than everyone else. I mosey around US Sports forums and teams playing badly often will their own team to brick it in every single game so they can get the best draft pick. It literally rewards poorer performance!
I follow the NHL closely and the NHL draft is the most exciting time of the year outside the Stanley cup Playoffs.

For those that don't know how a draft works:

At the end of every season there is a draft lottery, in which the lowest ranked team has the highest chance of being awarded first pick in the first round, ie. get's to pick and sign the biggest talent of the year. 2nd worst team gets 2nd pick, and so on. It goes on for a few rounds, in the NHL its typically 7, everyone drafts players and thus re-stock their talent pool.

It does reward poor performance, but coupled with a salary cap it also means that team success is cyclical since at some point the previous best teams are full of expensive contracts for aging stars, or the overall roster is too old and it starts a rebuild. The NHL is so dominant in the sport of Hockey that it works, even if its an international sport. In football, this would never, ever fly.

Bulldog United

I think the PL clubs involved should be very wary. If you follow the money the PL is becoming, by far, the richest league in the world and some of the other leagues realize this and don't want to miss out. I wouldn't be surprised if the Italian, La Liga and Bundesliga clubs are the ones pushing this so they can get in on more lucrative TV contracts. If things stay the same more and more of the best players and coaches will end up in England. These other clubs are probably very concerned about this and the super league would balance things out for them.
The German clubs have declined to sign up to this, along with the French.

kkj25

Allegedly Bayern are not part of the group according to Sky but who knows.

Gabriele Marcotti: "If the rebel clubs stay in domestic leagues, there's an even greater domestic inbalance in already unbalanced leagues due to greater Euro revenue"

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

diarm

Aren't drafts based on a college system though?

It's totally unrealistic to expect a draft system in football where clubs produce players through their own academy. There would be no incentive to invest in player development.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Laporta just gave an interview saying that he'd rather have a club world cup than a super league.

I'm totally confused atm.
He first admits that the super league is real but also offers an alternative. It's a money grab, they aren't going to announce a thing, they want the UEFA to make a move and cave once again.

Wilkohler

Supports
Union Berlin
But, if you are the traditional big six and generate so much income yet have to share it with the likes of Burnley, Sheffield United etc, wouldn't you want to break away and maximise your revenue?

diarm

I don't like the term "rebel clubs". It makes them sound like good underdogs out to destroy a death star.

Also, Tottenham are totally the Chewbacca of that analogy.
Nah Chewbacca is way too cool. Spurs are Ewoks with notions.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea doesn't own the name of the club, or the freehold on the stadium either. They should probably be a bit fecking careful about what shit they try and force down our fans throats.

justsomebloke

For those who think this might not be so bad, consider this: One part of this is for sure going to be parity mechanisms - ie, rules designed to ensure that everyone in the SL are comparably competitive, and that costs are kept down. We've already seen a proposal to ban transfers between the top clubs, and apparently fear of such mechanisms is the main reason why PSG has not so far joined the initiative. All the US major leagues have these. Entry drafts in reverse order of finish, giving the worst team first pick of the young talent. Salary caps, ensuring that no one can outspend rivals on wages. Prohibitions on transfers for cash - if you want to acquire someone, you have to pay in players and/or draft picks. The idea being to stop those with the most money from using that for advantage. And the ideal being a league where everyone is roughly equally good, so that everyone has a chance to win. And where you are rewarded for doing badly. And where if you happen to build a really top team, you can't keep it together for any length of time because you'll come up against the salary cap as your players expect improved contracts as a result of doing well. Just look at today's NHL, where Stanley Cup-winning teams have to be broken up, everybody seems to have 4-5 really good players and this year's table might well end up in the reverse order next year. It's just totally boring. Enforced parity turns the sport into a charade, where everyone has a dice to roll every year.

diarm

Chelsea doesn't own the name of the club, or the freehold on the stadium either. They should probably be a bit fecking careful about what shit they try and force down our fans throats.
I'm pretty jealous of that. Would love it if there was a way for us to wrestle back out club off the Glazers.

kkj25

If the clubs are not bailing on the leagues of their respective countries but bailing on UCL. I could live with that to be honest. Although it would mean Liverpool would always be able to lord UCL titles over us.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That's actually pretty true. Lets take PSG for instance. France is hemoraging great players who decide to leave the country because the league isn't good enough. With a superleague, we could get the best players France can produce.
Also, with things balanced, players will be tempted to play for a team located in the best city they can pick and a lot would rather live in Madrid, Paris or Barcelona than Manchester or Liverpool.

For the record, i hate the idea of a superleague even if PSG might be the club that would benefit from it the most because it would erase our main problem : the weakness of our league.