European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zen86

Ed Woodward not long ago “Playing performance doesn’t really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business.”
Got to laugh at the naive lot thinking United will get all the best players with creation of the ESL. It's the exact opposite, the Glazers will have even less incentive to spend money on recruitment.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why everyone here is against it before knowing the full details?

If it is anything that would undermine the power of arrogant and corrupted Fifa & Uefa, then may not necessarily be the worst idea.

I always hate how Blatter and Platini were anti-United at that times (eg the Rio incident and Nani red card)
What, you'd burn it all down to spite Blatter and Platini? Sounds logical.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
That's my point. If they start moving team around cities to spread it around the whole thing will die a death. Its madness they are considering this in a global sport like this.
I suspect they move teams around as a "fans grab". Utd fans will always go to Old Trafford. Even if they called it the JP Morgan bowl. They will still chant "United!" even if they are called the Coca Cola Reds.

There's no need to move teams around here.

arnie_ni

Got to laugh at the naive lot thinking United will get all the best players with creation of the ESL. It's the exact opposite, the Glazers will have even less incentive to spend money on recruitment.
Exactly. No relegation, guaranteed money. We'll sit in limbo

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Rangers have a huge following in the UK, and surprisingly Newcastle are quite popular outside of the North East. I said breakaway PL, this isn't the Super League I'm talking about. That fixture is worth more than Burnley vs Sheff Untied to a domestic broadcaster
So we’ve got United, Man City, Liverpool, arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, cork, Newcastle and rangers so far in this break away league, I’m liking the sound of it so far who else can entice me to watch this league!? I’m intrigued. Do you think we can get enough teams to maybe have relegation places too or will it just be as hollow as the super league?

fck

Supports
Bayern
I have to laugh at the people being for it but now suddenly shitting it because it could mean the end of United in Manchester. You "new fans"™ haven't thought this through enough.

arnie_ni

I suspect they move teams around as a "fans grab". Utd fans will always go to Old Trafford. Even if they called it the JP Morgan bowl. They will still chant "United!" even if they are called the Coca Cola Reds.

There's no need to move teams around here.
The post literally said they are unhappy about having 2 teams in Manchester and 3 in London and will consider moving them.

Of course it will be city moved from Manchester but that's not the point.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It's not a simple question of population but being able to sustain both clubs and having a local following. Old Trafford is often close to full, City is almost... You are right City are being moved.
Why would local following matter? They've made clear what they think about 'legacy fans'. I really could see a scenario where they just focus on online distribution and move games between cities around the world to build global fanbase.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
It doesn't show contempt to their own fans that they are doing something that by all indications are seen as an outrage and a betrayal by those same fans?
Because we are fans of football as well as man united and this move shows contempt for the current structure. This isn't good for the game of football and fans know that.

But as a fan of united the owners are offering us a better footballing product and likely more big-name signings. 2 things fans want. That is not a slap in the face to us fans. It just that it comes at a cost to hurting the structure we have all grown up and love.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Seems it's all been planned.
Obviously. A bomb shell like this doesn't drop after just a brain storming session. Ever since billionaire/state owners became a thing this has been on the horizon. It's the logical next step to turn a sport into a pure entertainment industry product.

The Purley King

If this goes ahead I hope it collapses within a few years.
I hope FIFA/UEFA/governments (christ has it really come to this that I'm hoping they do something useful) hold everything up with as many challenges as possible. Kick the 6 English clubs out of the PL, stop players playing in Euros/World Cups, do anything possible to throw spanners in the works.

I can understand Real/Barca etc with their billions of debt needing it, but the English clubs? Its short sighted. The PL is the best and richest league in the world but not apparently rich enough? A rising tide floats all the boats.......

Stephen Fry: "6 football clubs have achieved something that no politician or public figure has. They've brought together the whole divided nation - everyone united in disgust and revulsion at such greed and stupidity"

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We used to think Seattle would always be large enough to sustain a NBA team. Oakland is huge, yet...
Seattle are a totally different story, they can sustain an NBA team, the reason they were moved to OKC isn't due to money but local bragging rights, the then new ownership group of the Supersonics were all OKC born and pledged to bring a team in their home town. As if stands Seattle will get an expansion team in the near future, as will Las Vegas and Tampa or a team is going to move in one of these cities, for example if the Timberwolves moves, Minneapolis-Saint Paul will get an other expansion team down the line.
In the case fo Seattle they are getting the NHL team this summer and will be a four major sport city before 2030.

Cast5

You wouldnt see the Utd fans doing that, pussies all talk and no action. Fair fecks get everyone down the stadiums who live locally
What are you on about? You absolutely do see United fans doing stuff like that. Local United fans who’ve been fans for generations started a new football club because of the Glazers for fecks sake.

justsomebloke

Because we are fans of football as well as man united and this move shows contempt for the current structure. This isn't good for the game of football and fans know that.

But as a fan of united the owners are offering us a better footballing product and likely more big-name signings. 2 things fans want. That is not a slap in the face to us fans. It just that it comes at a cost to hurting the structure we have all grown up and love.
Well, it seems that the vast majority of fans disagree with you.

Marooned

Double the paycheck while playing glorified friendlies without the stress, what's there more to ask? I can see games with many goals which don't feel anything but a show.

SwedishFish

If this goes ahead I hope it collapses within a few years.
I hope FIFA/UEFA/governments (christ has it really come to this that I'm hoping they do something useful) hold everything up with as many challenges as possible. Kick the 6 English clubs out of the PL, stop players playing in Euros/World Cups, do anything possible to throw spanners in the works.

I can understand Real/Barca etc with their billions of debt needing it, but the English clubs? Its short sighted. The PL is the best and richest league in the world but not apparently rich enough? A rising tide floats all the boats.......
Supporting UEFA and FIFA :lol: :lol: :lol:

The same crook organizations that gave the World Cup to Qatar and couldn't impose FFP. Christ almighty...

Ixion

Relegate the lot of them down to League 2. Promote 3 more from the Championship. There is no punishment that could be given to United I wouldn't support. That is how awful this is.

Zen86

Exactly. No relegation, guaranteed money. We'll sit in limbo
It's just a massive shame there's plenty of idiots biting onto this hook, line, and sinker. This really is worst case scenario, it's pretty much taking Manchester United away from the fans as once the ESL is established, the yanks can literally do whatever they want.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Relegate the lot of them down to League 2. Promote 3 more from the Championship. There is no punishment that could be given to United I wouldn't support. That is how awful this is.
Feel the same as a Chelsea fan. I'd be absolutely fine with relegation at this point.

Abizzz

Seattle are a totally different story, they can sustain an NBA team, the reason they were moved to OKC isn't due to money but local bragging rights, the then new ownership group of the Supersonics were all OKC born and pledged to bring a team in their home town. As if stands Seattle will get an expansion team in the near future, as will Las Vegas and Tampa or a team is going to move in one of these cities, for example if the Timberwolves moves, Minneapolis-Saint Paul will get an other expansion team down the line.
In the case fo Seattle they are getting the NHL team this summer and will be a four major sport city before 2030.
The way I remember it is that the city of Seattle didn't want to shell out hundreds of millions for a new venue and the OKC owners only bought them because the previous owners didn't want to pay either. With the state Old Trafford is in who's to say the same couldn't happen in 10 or 15 years?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why would local following matter? They've made clear what they think about 'legacy fans'. I really could see a scenario where they just focus on online distribution and move games between cities around the world to build global fanbase.
Because that's why franchises move in US sport, to exploit local markets. Stadiums are exploited to the fullest and generates revenues while local fanbases bring huge commercial revenues, they don't move just for the sake of moving.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Why would we get better signings?
agents will just increase the price. Do you think Haalands price wouldn’t suddenly sneak up to 150m+
the second thing is the owners will just bank more cash

Ixion

A poster here said one of the reasons for something like this is United have only faced Ronaldo a few times since he left and this would ensure it happened every year. You realise how shite we've been in most of that time and haven't deserved to be playing at the top table yeah? You earn the right, you don't have it written into law you're entitled to it just because you're rich.